Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.
Default It's that time again ... Prediction Game!

I started this up last year when things were getting very slow around here. It's been a dead zone for the last two months or so, but hopefully this can spark up some conversation.

Here is the thread from last year....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=9661

Basically I'll start out with some Over / Unders and Fact or Fictions, and you fill in how you think things will shape up. After filling out mine (which I will admittingly take some good ones from last year), maybe add a few more at the end.

I'll start and add my answers later....

Over / Under

Thomas Jones will have 1,300 rushing yards.

The Jets will win 8 games this year.

The Jets will have 2 players in the Pro Bowl.

Coles and Cotchery both have over 1,000 receiving yards.

Gholston and Pace will both at least have 6 sacks this year.

Fact / Fiction

At the end of the season, Eric Mangini will be on the hot seat and "Mangenius" will be a distant memory.

Kellen Clemens will beat out Pennington for the starting QB job, and will finish as the starting QB.

Darrelle Revis and David Harris will have a sophomore slumps compared to their last season.

Justin Miller will prove he has ability to start opposite of Revis as a CB.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be considered a top LT and worthy of his draft position by the end of the year.

Go!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice thread, it was a good one last year and it'd be great to get some conversation going.

Over / Under

Under- I think Washington's role in the offense increases and Chatman/Smith will take some carries as well. His YPC should go up though.

Even- 7-9 seems like a realistic expectation so 8 is probably my best guess.

Under- I think guys like Faneca, Cotchery, Miller/Washington (whoever our KR is), Mangold, Revis, Rhodes, and Harris all have shots. Some other guys have chances at it, like D'Brick if he breaks out and Pace. Jenkins if he explodes in the 3-4 too. But generally our players get boned when it comes to the Pro Bowl and although we have a bunch of guys that have a chance it's tough to assume somebody's going to get there, so I think the under is safest to assume though it could easily be over if we have a good year.

Under/Over- I think Coles is going to have a decreased role in the offense this year and injuries tend to catch up with him, so something in the 800-900 range sounds realistic. Cotchery is a solid wideout and I think he's going to be good for 1,000+ for a few years, maybe even break out and become a legit #1.

Under/Over- Gholston could be all over the place depending on how quickly he develops, and I tend to think it's tough to expect too much this year. Six is a good guess and more is definitely based on his physical abilities, but it's safer to expect less. Pace I think squeaks over 6 in the 7-8 range, but it depends on the role in his offense.

Fact / Fiction

At the end of the season, Eric Mangini will be on the hot seat and "Mangenius" will be a distant memory.

Fiction- I think we're in rebuilding mode and as long as we don't bomb the season he won't be on the hot seat. Not sure he'll still be "Mangenius" but I think we'll be good enough that he won't be at risk of losing his job.

Kellen Clemens will beat out Pennington for the starting QB job, and will finish as the starting QB.

Fiction- I want him too, but I just think there's too much going on against Clemens for him to win the job and keep it through the year. Pennington has a good chance to win the starting job from what I've read. Injuries, inconsistency, it's tough for any starting QB to start all 16 games and it's tough to realistically expect that from a guy that hasn't even been guaranteed the job.

Darrelle Revis and David Harris will have a sophomore slumps compared to their last season.

Fiction- Revis I think continues to improve and while Harris's per game averages may not be as high I think he continues to be a stud in the middle for us.

Fact- He's in a contract year and has great talent. I think he proves he's a solid #2 and then signs a big contract with somebody else after the season.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be considered a top LT and worthy of his draft position by the end of the year.

Fiction- I think he's going to be getting there but not quite worthy of a top 5 pick just yet, not quite sure he'll ever get there but he'll be a solid starter for years to come.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Did you really just put two Over/Unders as your answer? :p

One part of your responses I don't think I agree with 100%, especially with your comment on the Mangini on the hot seat. The Jets really went out and got a lot of FA this years, some that cost a lot and some that seem to add depth.

The amount of moves and the draft picks given up to get Jenkins don't suggest that the Jets are in a rebuilding mode, at least I don't think they are. They went for older players that will make an immediate impact on next season. The front office has made a lot of moves to try really turn this 4-12 team around, one that I think if backfires, things won't be pretty.

Again though, I am not expecting this team to win the superbowl next year either, so maybe that is what you were getting at. I don't think they are really rebuilding though.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Did you really just put two Over/Unders as your answer? :p

One part of your responses I don't think I agree with 100%, especially with your comment on the Mangini on the hot seat. The Jets really went out and got a lot of FA this years, some that cost a lot and some that seem to add depth.

The amount of moves and the draft picks given up to get Jenkins don't suggest that the Jets are in a rebuilding mode, at least I don't think they are. They went for older players that will make an immediate impact on next season. The front office has made a lot of moves to try really turn this 4-12 team around, one that I think if backfires, things won't be pretty.

Again though, I am not expecting this team to win the superbowl next year either, so maybe that is what you were getting at. I don't think they are really rebuilding though.
Haha I guess I just split up those questions into two seperate over/unders, in reality it would just be under.

I do think Mangini could be on the hot seat at the end of the year if we're really bad, so I didn't mean to convey that there's no way he'll be on the hot seat. However, I think we'll have a good enough record, somewhere around the 8-8 you put the over/under for, that he won't be on the hot seat. Maybe on the hot seat heading into next year, but unless we completely bomb this season I don't think he's getting fired. A decent record buys him another year or two IMO, playoffs buys him a few years, and a bad year puts him in consideration to be fired but I'm not sure he definitely would be.

Rebuilding was probably the wrong word to use, but I do think we are trying to build a team here. Right now it seems to be that we want to build a competitive team but one that has a future and enough young pieces that we can continue to be competitive for awhile. But I think we want a sense of continuity, and Woody will give Tangini a little while longer to see if they're the duo that can have this team continue to be solid for a few years. It does seem that teams with the most consistency as far as coaching and system have the most success, and Johnson thinks he might have a duo that could be successful down the road and he's going to give them a little while to see if they can have us be a perennial contender.

EDIT:

A couple new ones to add:

Over/Under- Dustin Keller gets 50 catches and 800 yards receiving

Fact or Fiction- Chansi Stuckey steps up as the #3 wideout

Last edited by derza222 : 07-17-2008 at 11:48 AM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas Jones 1,300 yards - UNDER
Jets win 8 games - PUSH
Jets have 2 Pro Bowlers - OVER (Rhodes, Revis, Harris)
Coles & Cotchery both over 1,000 yards - UNDER (only 1)
Gholston and Pace 6 sacks - OVER

Mangini - FICTION
Clemens - FACT
Revis & Harris - FACT (statistically, but they play better)
Justin Miller - FICTION
D'Brick - FICTION

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thomas Jones 1,300 yards - Under
Jets win 8 games - Over (9-7)
Jets have 2 Pro Bowlers - Over (Rhodes, Faneca, Harris... Revis and Mangold will probably get snubbed)
Coles & Cotchery both over 1,000 yards - Under (only Cotchery)
Gholston and Pace 6 sacks - Over

Mangini - Fiction
Clemens - Fact
Revis & Harris - Fiction
Justin Miller - Fiction
D'Brick - Fiction
Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Over/Under- Dustin Keller gets 50 catches and 800 yards receiving

Fact or Fiction- Chansi Stuckey steps up as the #3 wideout
Keller - Under
Stuckey - Fact... I think he's going to be great for us
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Over / Under

Under

The reason I say under is because of the crowded backfield. I expect Leon Washington to get a good amount of carries. Im really interested to see how the OL performs this year.

PUSH

Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure the Jets only play 3 teams who made the post season last year. I think the schedule is not one of the more difficult ones. However by saying that, I am definitely overlooking some of the divisional games. The AFC East will be a battle this year.

UNDER

We will have some players that I feel will deserve it, but I don't think we will get it. Leon Washington and Justin Miller both have a chance to make it as a return men, Harris and Revis show promise also along with Rhodes. We had no players make it last year, and the year before that just one.

OVER

I come back from 2 weeks in Spain only to hear Bret Favre is wearing gang green. I wasn't crazy about this trade at all for many reasons, but I am going to be very optimistic and hope he can really improve the passing game.

[b]UNDER[b]

Gholston has the tools, but there are still question marks. Six might be a lot for him, but I think Pace should be able to get to the QB quite often. Or at least, I am hoping!

Dustin Keller gets 50 catches and 800 yards receiving.

UNDER

This is just a guess, as I need to catch up on whats going on in training camp. How is this guy looking?

Fact / Fiction

Fiction

The front office made a LOT of moves this offseason and feel they could add the pieces to make this a playoff caliber team. Especially with the Favre trade, the Jets took some risks that definitely could backfire. I'm hoping they will pay off.

Fiction

Both of these players played out of their minds last year, being the bright spots on a 4-12 team. The defense is overall, on paper, better in my opinion which will help also.

Fiction

Justin Miller really is a huge question mark for me. I really don't know what to expect and being outside the country, I have not heard a lot about him. This is more of a hunch then anything, but he is in contract year if I am not mistaken. Maybe that will motivate him....

Fiction

I was upset over the whole Pete Kendell trade and it did really hurt Ferguson's production. I think Ferguson will take some big strides this year, but I am not seeing him joining the elite, although I hope I am very wrong. He is one of my favorite players on the Jets.

Chansi Stuckey steps up as the #3 wideout

Fiction

I like this guy a lot and I am really on the fence with this one (good question). I am going to say no as of now. Clowney had a big game for us, and Brad Smith again is another question mark for me. I see some competition here.