Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Official G-Men 2009 NFL Draft Thread

Might as well get this started now since its so dead these days.

So far, and this will obviously change a lot by the end of the season, i have the following listed as need positions.

-DT
-OT
-SS
-RB

DT is our biggest weakness, OT is a need bc McKenzie is getting older and we don't know if Diehl is a permanent fixture at LT or if we'll slide him back to LG where he's a PB caliber player. SS is a need bc we dont know what Michael Johnson gives us long term, and Sammy Knight is strictly a short term answer. RB could be a need bc we dont know if Jacobs will be retained, plus he's an injury liability, Bradshaw is a wildcard you never know if or when he'll do something stupid, and Ward is injury prone and signed a one year deal i believe.

Having that said, if the draft came by now and i can have my pick of any one player, Id debate between Fili Miola and Phil Loadholt. Those are my favorite 2 prospects right now.

Them and the MIKE from USC, he's an absolute monster, but I doubt we'd be interested even if he was on the board.

Discuss prospects.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Loadholt as a RT. I don't think he has the athleticism to stay on the blindside, but he could be a monster on the right.

And my favorite DT from this class is Demarcus Granger, but the only problem are his red flags (shoplifting).

Finally, I also love Nic Harris from Oklahoma. He is a traditional SS who I thought was the best DB in the Big-12 last year.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This has nothing to do with us, but I really like Sam Bradford, the qb from Oklahoma. I think he can be a very good game manager at the next level. Just throwing it out there.

Courtney Greene would make a nice compliment to Kenny Phillips. He'd be a realistic option too if we decide to invest in the secondary in the 1st round again.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 07-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I think Loadholt will end up with a higher grade than Jake Long before the 09 draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Johnson doesn't pan out, and Butler isn't resigned, I'd LOVE to grab Courtney Greene, hopefully round one at 32! :D

Imagine the young secondary we'd have? Philips, Greene, Ross, Webster, Thomas, Dockery? Pretty damn nice if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I think Loadholt will end up with a higher grade than Jake Long before the 09 draft.
Loadholt was man-handled by WVU at the Fiesta Bowl. He is too tall and stiff to be a LT.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Loadholt was in his first year against major competition last year. Just watch how he beasts it this year.

For our sake, i hope he does slip up a little. Maybe he'll fall in the draft and we can nab him.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This has nothing to do with us, but I really like Sam Bradford, the qb from Oklahoma. I think he can be a very good game manager at the next level. Just throwing it out there.

Courtney Greene would make a nice compliment to Kenny Phillips. He'd be a realistic option too if we decide to invest in the secondary in the 1st round again.
Sam Bradford has been the best college QB prospect in college football since he took his first snap as starter. I liked him better than all of the QB prospects in this last draft.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Loadholt was in his first year against major competition last year. Just watch how he beasts it this year.

For our sake, i hope he does slip up a little. Maybe he'll fall in the draft and we can nab him.
Question, do you guys like Loadholt more than Black?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Question, do you guys like Loadholt more than Black?
Dont know yet. Need to see more games.

Quote:
Sam Bradford has been the best college QB prospect in college football since he took his first snap as starter. I liked him better than all of the QB prospects in this last draft.
I agree 100%. I think Bradford could be a special player. Other than him, there really is no college qb to get excited about as a top prospect either last year or this year. Not in my eyes at least.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree 100%. I think Bradford could be a special player. Other than him, there really is no college qb to get excited about as a top prospect either last year or this year. Not in my eyes at least.
Mike Teel?...!!!! MIKE TEEL!!!!!!

And D, I like Loadholt, but I've gotta see more of both.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Mike Teel?...!!!! MIKE TEEL!!!!!!

And D, I like Loadholt, but I've gotta see more of both.
I gotta admit, Teel made HUUGE strides last year. 2 years ago he one hopped a 10 yard pass, now he can actually throw it. But still, come on Scotty, 2nd round at best right now.

I love Underwood though. He's gonna be a very good WR. Like Greene a lot as a blue collar SS. He reminds me of Dawan Landry.

Not seeing Ray Rice on the field is gonna bring a tear to my eyes though </3.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
I gotta admit, Teel made HUUGE strides last year. 2 years ago he one hopped a 10 yard pass, now he can actually throw it. But still, come on Scotty, 2nd round at best right now.

I love Underwood though. He's gonna be a very good WR. Like Greene a lot as a blue collar SS. He reminds me of Dawan Landry.

Not seeing Ray Rice on the field is gonna bring a tear to my eyes though </3.

dammit BBD, you're making me tear up here... I told myself I'd only cry twice a day since he's been gone.... :( </333

I'd like us to try and gra Westermann. Big enough to be a Tuck-esque player coming in in the middle on 4 aces
Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

We need a guy at DT who will devour the interior of an oline. Someone who can disrupt and be strong at the point.

A guy like Kevin Williams of the Vikings. Whoever fits that bill would be a sweet addition to our team.

Personally, I want a 2 gap run thumper, but I dont know if Reese will ever get one of those since its not part of our system. But we really need a run thumper inside.

I hope Coffield bulked up. He had a very average season last year.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

A lot of people like Stafford, but I just don't see it from him on the field. His measurables look great, but he could be Ryan Leaf. He's still young and even Brady Quinn made strides, so Stafford could be one to watch.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We need a guy at DT who will devour the interior of an oline. Someone who can disrupt and be strong at the point.

A guy like Kevin Williams of the Vikings. Whoever fits that bill would be a sweet addition to our team.

Personally, I want a 2 gap run thumper, but I dont know if Reese will ever get one of those since its not part of our system. But we really need a run thumper inside.

I hope Coffield bulked up. He had a very average season last year.
Sorry to jump in the coversation, but I have wanted Dallas to find one of those for the longest time. Next year's draft looks promising between Fili Moala, Terence Taylor and personal fav before the injury... BJ Raji.

But now I'm hearing Marcus Spears is volunteering to make a move to NT. That ought to be interesting. ha.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Firstly, we need to consider our needs

Carr, Wright, Toomer, Ward, Ruegamer, Wynn, Butler, McQuarters and Dockery are our significant free agents.

QB: We have the franchise QB with Eli and have a Andre Woodson to develop behind him.

RB: We don't have a star, but we have a very solid core of RBs that get the job done.

TE: This hinges on Shockey, if he stays them we have no need. Even if he leaves we are solid with Boss, Johnson and Matthews

WR: Burress is back and Toomer is likely gone, but we have plenty of talented young guys to step up.

OL: All the starters of our Oline are locked up long term and we have decent depth behind them.

DE: Osi and Tuck are locked up and likely have decent developmental guys behind for depth; plus we can move Kiwanuka to DE

DT: Robbins, Cofield and Alford are solid.

LB: Pierce is solid and we have plenty of young LB talent around them.

CB: Ross, Webster and Thomas give us a good core, but more talent could be usefull.

S: Phillips should be good; Knight and Johnson are solid

We have no critical needs.

Reese will continue his policy of bringing in talented youngsters to compete with our current guys, but will largely take the best player available.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post

Reese will continue his policy of bringing in talented youngsters to compete with our current guys, but will largely take the best player available.
Actually, Reese has drafted for need the past 2 years in the 1st round. CB and Safety, he took the BPA in our biggest need in the 1st round each year. So Im expecting the same thing this year.

After the first 2 rounds, i think he goes BPA, but he attacks needs early.

Quote:
Sorry to jump in the coversation, but I have wanted Dallas to find one of those for the longest time. Next year's draft looks promising between Fili Moala, Terence Taylor and personal fav before the injury... BJ Raji.

But now I'm hearing Marcus Spears is volunteering to make a move to NT. That ought to be interesting. ha.
It seems like a very good DT year. Spears will be a very good 4-3 NT, but I don't know if he has it to hack it at 3-4 NT. Chances are he'll get cut, and if the right team picks him up and uses him as a 4-3 NT, he can revive his career.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Firstly, we need to consider our needs

Carr, Wright, Toomer, Ward, Ruegamer, Wynn, Butler, McQuarters and Dockery are our significant free agents.

QB: We have the franchise QB with Eli and have a Andre Woodson to develop behind him.

RB: We don't have a star, but we have a very solid core of RBs that get the job done.

TE: This hinges on Shockey, if he stays them we have no need. Even if he leaves we are solid with Boss, Johnson and Matthews

WR: Burress is back and Toomer is likely gone, but we have plenty of talented young guys to step up.

OL: All the starters of our Oline are locked up long term and we have decent depth behind them.

DE: Osi and Tuck are locked up and likely have decent developmental guys behind for depth; plus we can move Kiwanuka to DE

DT: Robbins, Cofield and Alford are solid.

LB: Pierce is solid and we have plenty of young LB talent around them.

CB: Ross, Webster and Thomas give us a good core, but more talent could be usefull.

S: Phillips should be good; Knight and Johnson are solid

Things will be much clearer as the season goes on. I think the loss of Strahan will be noticed... at least early on. I also think you could use help at both OLB spots. I still don't buy Kiwi as a full time LB and unless Danny Clark turns into the tackling machine he used to be, I think Wilkerson will have his hands full if he's expected to get a lot of reps. While the OL is seemingly ok, there's no one really to write home about outside of Snee.

I would say keep beefing up the trenches for you guys.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It seems like a very good DT year. Spears will be a very good 4-3 NT, but I don't know if he has it to hack it at 3-4 NT. Chances are he'll get cut, and if the right team picks him up and uses him as a 4-3 NT, he can revive his career.
It could potentially be Great. Jeff Owens is a monster... I wanna see more of this Evander Hood guy... watch out for Peria Jerry... there's Vance Walker and his teammate Darryl Richard... I've always liked Roy Miller, but he's fallen off the map.

But those are just the seniors.. if some of these juniors declare... Oh boy. DeMarcus Granger, Sen'Derrick Marks, Gino Atkins, RJF from LSU.

Things could get beastly.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Things will be much clearer as the season goes on. I think the loss of Strahan will be noticed... at least early on. I also think you could use help at both OLB spots. I still don't buy Kiwi as a full time LB and unless Danny Clark turns into the tackling machine he used to be, I think Wilkerson will have his hands full if he's expected to get a lot of reps. While the OL is seemingly ok, there's no one really to write home about outside of Snee.

I would say keep beefing up the trenches for you guys.
Strahan's leadership is gonna be a huge loss.

We're actually really deep at LB imo. Wilkinson and Kehl are solid WILLs for what we do with our system, I have a feeling Wilkinson has a breakout year. For SAM, we have Kiwi, DeOssie, and Clark. I dont know what to think of Kiwi at SAM yet, now that Strahan is retired we can easily move him back if he starts to play poorly, although Im hoping he'll make more strides before week 1. But if not, no biggie, just throw him back on the dline and let DeOssie and Clark earn their paycheck.

My concern on oline is still LT. We're actually really deep along the oline, we have very good players who are underrated by the masses that play really well together (esp in the run game), but I question if Diehl is a full time answer at LT. I liked what i saw in Whimper late in the season, and will be tracking his progress this year in PS. He might be ready to start at LT this year, which would allow Diehl to move back to LG where he's a PB caliber player.

I do want us to add depth at DT though, we're real weak over there. Only DT to get excited about is Alford, and right now he's more of a situational player than full time DT.

This will obviously change, but as of right now DT and SS are our only 2 glaring needs.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blue= my top prospect in the position

1. DT Terrance Taylor
2. OL Phil Loadholt
3. CB Vontae Davis S William Moore/Courtney Greene
4. DE Greg Hardy
5. RB Chris Wells
6. OLB Marcus Freeman MLB Rey Maulaluga
7. TE Jared Cook

Big Board:
1: Terrance Taylor
2: Chris Wells
3: Vontae Davis
4. Phil Loadholt

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Go_Eli hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Don't sleep on Guy Whimper. He could replace McKenzie, who knows.
Go_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

By the time the draft comes around, I expect Eugene Monroe to be a top-prospect. He is probably as good of a prospect as Jake Long, but a little off of Ferguson.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

deleted...

Last edited by Big_Pete : 07-17-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote