Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Giants, Woods, Hamilton, Everett take home ESPYs

Giants, Woods, Hamilton, Everett take home ESPYs

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3492599

Spoilers......

The New York Giants took home the Vince Lombardi trophy for winning the Super Bowl and they can add some ESPYs to their trophy case as well.

At the 16th annual celebration of the year's best sports stories, the Giants won in three categories: Best Game, Best Upset and Best Play. The latter came for David Tyree's acrobatic catch of an Eli Manning pass that kept the game-winning drive alive in the Super Bowl.

The ESPYs, which were hosted by Justin Timberlake at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, will be televised on Sunday at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Tiger Woods surpassed Lance Armstrong with his record fifth Best Male Athlete ESPY. He also won his fourth straight Best Golfer award and took home the Best Championship Performance award for winning the U.S. Open on an injured left leg. His 21 ESPYs are the most anyone has won.

Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett captured the Jimmy V ESPY for Perseverance, named after former North Carolina State basketball coach Jim Valvano. Everett suffered what was believed to be a paralyzing spinal cord injury but after rehabilitation is walking again and was on hand to accept his award.

[+] EnlargeKevin Winter/Getty Images

Justin Timberlake hosted Wednesday's ESPY awards in Los Angeles.

Embattled quarterback Brett Favre was honored with an ESPY for Best Record Breaking Performance. He snapped Dan Marino's mark for most career touchdown passes.

When receiving his award, Favre was shown a video of his accomplishments.

"Watchin' that makes me want to play again," Favre said with a smile.

Earlier, Timberlake zeroed in on Favre sitting in the audience with his wife, Deanna.

"What have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you anywhere," Timberlake said. "Just chillin'? Yeah, me too."

Later, Timberlake went into the seats to hug Favre's would-be successor Aaron Rodgers, the Packers' 2005 first-round draft choice. Favre sheepishly looked down with a slight smile on his face as the crowd laughed.

Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, who put on a legendary display in the Home Run Derby at Yankee Stadium on Monday, won the ESPY for Best Comeback. After battling drug addiction, Hamilton became an All-Star this year and leads the league in RBIs with 95.

ESPYs on TV

Date: Sunday, July 20

Time: 9 p.m. ET

Network: ESPN

Roger Federer won his fourth straight Best Male Tennis Player ESPY. Other repeat winners were: Sidney Crosby (Best NHL Player), Norm Duke (Best Bowler), Floyd Mayweather (Best Fighter) and Maria Sharapova (Best Female Tennis Player).

The NBA champion Boston Celtics won their first ESPY in the Best Team category.

The Arthur Ashe Courage award was presented to 1968 Olympic medalists Tommie Smith and John Carlos who dropped their heads and raised their fists on the victory stand in Mexico City to raise awareness for the American struggle for racial equality.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The title alone is a spoiler thanks.:(
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why would you watch the ESPYS? ESPN reporters shouldnt be hanging out and making friends with the people they are supposed to be covering, that creates poor journalism.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
why would you watch the ESPYS? ESPN reporters shouldnt be hanging out and making friends with the people they are supposed to be covering, that creates poor journalism.
Poor journalism has been happening since ESPN and other networks decided to let unqualified former players hold analyst jobs. Everybody is an apologist now.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe I read somewhere, I can't remember to find the link, that Brady won best NFL player.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
The title alone is a spoiler thanks.:(
Well except for Everett, the others were easy to guess they would have won. I knew we'd win something, I knew Tiger would, and Hamilton's life was a mess, so for him to do well, would be recognized as well. It really isn't suprising, or wasn't to me.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking
Embattled quarterback Brett Favre was honored with an ESPY for Best Record Breaking Performance. He snapped Dan Marino's mark for most career touchdown passes.

When receiving his award, Favre was shown a video of his accomplishments.

"Watchin' that makes me want to play again," Favre said with a smile.
In the words of TO: "I love me some me."
Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for ruining the ESPY's for me. :(
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait, people watch the ESPY's?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

ESPN is pulling a full on MTV conversion over the past 5-6 years. Just like less music videos to more pointless reality tv and worthless scum bags who are famous for being famous, ESPN is cutting out the highlights and analysis and filling with more Drama, more "What did he say?? You'll find out when we return! and more stories of pointless ****.

and seriously... WTF is the "ultimate highlight reel" -- that thing goes so fast that you cant see anything. It's like some really ****** emo band playing in the background and a bunch of 1 sec. clips of "highlights" that you can't see in full because they had to make room for tony and jess.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Timberlake hosting. That's all I needed to see to not want to watch it.
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiliSmith View Post
Justin Timberlake hosting. That's all I needed to see to not want to watch it.
You're back, huh?
And JT is a baller. Can't hate on the man.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
You're back, huh?
Yeah, he's one of the reasons i'm watching, really. I'm a big fan of his when he's on SNL. Hopefully they can do some stuff similar to those in the ceremony.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
You're back, huh?
I used to hate on JT when he was in nsync and he was all fruity and all the chicks were on his nuts, but after stuff like dick n a box and when he did the punked skit making fun of ashton kutcher (who I can't stand) I started to think he's actually pretty funny.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I used to hate on JT when he was in nsync and he was all fruity and all the chicks were on his nuts, but after stuff like dick n a box and when he did the punked skit making fun of ashton kutcher (who I can't stand) I started to think he's actually pretty funny.
Same here. Once I realized he was actually a really chill guy who just made *** music when he was a teenager, I started to like him. And then Timbaland came along and made me actually like his music, too.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Poor journalism has been happening since ESPN and other networks decided to let unqualified former players hold analyst jobs. Everybody is an apologist now.
Thats the winner, as a journalist it is cool to see the movement away from starched rigid structure in the way they present news articles and I think the best thing ESPN has done is show the way that something light hearted, though passionate and enjoyable like sport is best covered.

Their use of former players as analysts and news readers sucks big time because there's a lot of talent out there (talent being on camera journalists) who would improve their show, improve shows on Fox and anywhere else that NFL is presented but they can't get jobs.

Its become a pain in the ass out here too, former stars are getting jobs as columnists and on camera talent when they're unqualified.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am utterly disgusted that Mayweather got best fighter
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan but I have to admit he had me rolling he was pretty funny last night.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan but I have to admit he had me rolling he was pretty funny last night.
yeah he did a really good job hosting the show. i was impressed.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The greatest was when he gave Aaron Rodgers a hug and told him everything will be okay. I was cracking up when he did that.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
The greatest was when he gave Aaron Rodgers a hug and told him everything will be okay. I was cracking up when he did that.
Ya that was classic the whole show was alot better then I thought it would be.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't stand Mario Chalmers. He wasn't laughing at all. And is it just me or does Eli Manning always look like he's about to break down in tears.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post

No, the best part had to be when he was hitting free throws like nothing with a Memphis jersey on, that whole ongoing thing with the NC basketball game was hilarious. Timberlake did a great job too, him and Ferrell were the two best parts of the show

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most of Timberlake's beginning jokes were awful but it picked up throughout the show.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Most of Timberlake's beginning jokes were awful but it picked up throughout the show.
I only saw the middle of the show, so I guess I lucked out.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote