Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default ***Training Camp Thread***

We'll just use this for general tidbits coming out of the draft. Obviously some stories will be thread quality but I'll just put whatever nuggets of info I find on here...

Willie Anderson is the man. Talks about how he doesn't mind backing up Andrews and that he's going to fight for the starting spot. We need guys like him, Paul Alexander basically said he wouldn't doubt him starting against Baltimore. If he's healthy I don't see him not starting.

Antwan Odom has a sprained foot, not sure how long that keeps him out but things sounded bad earlier so I'm relieved.

Some stuff from Lance McAlister's blog:

Quote:
*Best sight of the day: Chris Perry showing burst and cut back ability. He wasn't wearing a brace, wrap, sleeve, cast or anything else.
*Best pass plays: Carson 25 yards down the middle to TE Nate Lawrie.
Carson 40 yards down the sideline to Andre Caldwell
Carson swing pass to C. Perry
Defensive plays made: DE Angelo Craig dropping and tipping a pass. LB Ahmad Brooks with a pick. DB David Jones with a tip that drew "ahhhhs' from the crowd.
Bodies noticed: Dang do the Bengals have long and lanky WR's. ...Marcus Maxwell 6'3, Maurice Purify 6'3. Jerome SImpson has tooth pick legs. Mario Urrutia is huge...6'5 232.
Odom is tall and lean and quick...reminds me of Jevon Kearse.
Jeremi Johnson is on the non-football related injured list, due to being overweight. Chad and DeDe are the only other two to not practice.

And to end it on a good quote from Marvin:
"We keep spending all this time on the knuckleheads instead of on the good guys; that's a problem," Lewis said. "When you spend all your time coaching knuckleheads and not spending the right amount of time with the right players in the right direction because you're putting out fires over here, putting out fires over there ... ."
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty encouraging first day aside from Odom's injury. I hope Ahmad shows some darn progress.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm hoping for plenty of Ahmad updates.

I've read 3 different takes and all of them are very CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about Perry. Sounds like he's his old self (which also means he's a slight bump from the IR).

All I've seen on Odom is that Marvin, "expects him to be ready for the opener".

I've gotta say I'm interested to see what Frostee does with the DE spot, I've heard a lot of encouraging things about him.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Frostee could play a big role this year as well. He could rotate at either DE spot.

Perry is due for a healthy return.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Being out of out state, any updates on the training camp are MORE than welcomed !!! Thanks !!!
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Mark Curnette stuff, he's the man...

-- Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has the biggest job and is the single most important person here. If he can use all of his experience and put some decent pieces in the right places, the Bengals might have a chance. Zimmer is an impressive coach whose demanding ways should only help elevate the defense.

-- If you're a fantasy football player, take a serious look at drafting tailback Rudi Johnson. His legs appear to be turbo-charged. He worked specifically on his legs in the offseason. He says he's at 230 pounds, up from 212 last season, and that the hamstring that cost him five games is healed. He is bigger and faster. He could get back to 1,500-yard, 12-touchdown range.

-- Just because Antwan Odom's left foot is not broken doesn't mean he couldn't be out for quite a while.

-- Frostee Rucker, stand and deliver. Talent hasn't been his problem. The injuries were brought on by less-than-ideal work habits and a poor offseason attitude.

-- I wish I had T.J. Houshmandzadeh's level of self-confidence.

-- Willie Anderson is one athlete who is worthy of emulation. His grace in this graceless age is admirable. It's difficult not to root for him to do well.

-- The young defensive secondary could have a very good year. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, if he can hold onto most of the passes he is going to get his hands on, could leap into the Pro Bowl. He's that good.

Progress being made on Rivers, I would hope so.

Oklahoma drill summary....

Many of the matches were draws, with both players doing their jobs.

Some were not.

Tight end Reggie Kelly pushed linebacker Rashad Jeanty to the outside.

Safety Chinedum Ndukwe got the best of wide receiver Antonio Chatman.

Rookie wide receiver Andre Caldwell impressively moved cornerback Johnathan Joseph out of the way.

Right tackle Stacy Andrews moved rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley 15 yards downfield with a lightning-fast start. Welcome to the NFL Jason Shirley LOL

Most entertaining, though, was the enthusiastic response of first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer when a defensive player performed well. Zimmer was all over them, slapping their backs and rear end and top of the helmet.

The link to his blog (I'll keep posting the stuff on here):
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=blog09
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
-- If you're a fantasy football player, take a serious look at drafting tailback Rudi Johnson. His legs appear to be turbo-charged. He worked specifically on his legs in the offseason. He says he's at 230 pounds, up from 212 last season, and that the hamstring that cost him five games is healed. He is bigger and faster. He could get back to 1,500-yard, 12-touchdown range.
this is good news for me. Hopefully I can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round of my 10 player league I do with friends every year.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Hope Shirley can pick things up. Then again, getting demolished by Stacey will be a common occurrence this season.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Don't really understand the hype over Stacey pushing Shirley around... Isn't that what is suppose to happen when a veteran (who's HUGE) goes against the rookie who needs the most development ?? If it happened the other way around, I would be VERY concerned seeing as how Stacey is slotted as the starter...

Great news updates though, thanks !!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMedic View Post
Don't really understand the hype over Stacey pushing Shirley around... Isn't that what is suppose to happen when a veteran (who's HUGE) goes against the rookie who needs the most development ?? If it happened the other way around, I would be VERY concerned seeing as how Stacey is slotted as the starter...

Great news updates though, thanks !!!
Stacy didn't play much college ball, and he's still pretty young. I don't know that I would consider him a veteran in the experience department. But either way, I think the reason it was mentioned is because no one should be giving up 15 yards in the Oklahoma Drill.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Also if you guys want to read a good blog, check out Chick Ludwig's over at daytondailynews.com. I usually read both his and Curnutte's everyday.

EDIT: Is anyone going to go to training camp this year? I know for sure I'm going on Friday for the scrimmage and I'd like to go another time.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 07-30-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'd like to go but I always say that and never do... If I can get some tail to come with me then maybe.

Nothing big out of today... Apparently Marvin White likes talking trash to Chad. Major bonus points for him.

Everything I've read says look out for Rudi...

I'm still not sure who'll be returning kicks, they're working Caldwell/Simpson at that spot but it has to be on a backup basis.

Nice to hear about Ethan Kilmer again (I forgot about him too)... He was the man in '06.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Having EK back is huge. His special teams play is amazing.

you should go friday PTCJ! I'll be there.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who is taking over for Odam while he is out? How long is he out for? Also, how is the linebacking corps coming along? Is Brooks moving to the middle?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Who is taking over for Odam while he is out? How long is he out for? Also, how is the linebacking corps coming along? Is Brooks moving to the middle?
Frostee Rucker is taking Odom's spot for now. No timetable on Odom's injury, I've heard anywhere from day-to-day to "he'll be ready for Baltimore".

Dhani Jones is starting in the middle. As of now Rashad Jeanty is at SLB with Ahmad backing him up. It is my PURE assumption that if anything was to happen to Jones that Ahmad would move to the middle (despite the depth chart).

I'm not sure if Ahmad is 100% yet with his injury or not, I know he's practicing so obviously he's pretty close but I'm not about to think he'll go all season as a backup SLB. Jones provides solid experience in the middle, I think Ahmad takes it over eventually. Jeanty is solid at SLB.

With all that said, our linebackers are still a question mark. So much of our defense hinges on potential which is bound to happen when you have so many young players. I will say I'm VERY confident in Joseph and Hall.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any news on the Rivers front? I think he would play Will, Brooks at Mike, and Jeanty at Sam. That is a good linebacking trio if you ask me.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

No word really on Rivers but yes the plan is to have him at Will, Dhani Jones at Mike, and Reshad Jeanty at SAM.

Brooks has had some trouble recovering from injury and has been moved to SAM. He is currently backing up Jeanty. News from camp regarding him has been rather encouraging. I, for one, expect him to be a starter/key contributor at some point this season.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
No word really on Rivers but yes the plan is to have him at Will, Dhani Jones at Mike, and Reshad Jeanty at SAM.

Brooks has had some trouble recovering from injury and has been moved to SAM. He is currently backing up Jeanty. News from camp regarding him has been rather encouraging. I, for one, expect him to be a starter/key contributor at some point this season.
If Brooks comes back from injury, would he be the SLB? I would move him to Mike, but thats just me.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Brooks will be a backup to start the season at the SAM. They had him at Mike, but Dhani will get the start. Brooks has been fighting through his injury and (at least by my account) hasn't been smart enough to progress in the playbook.

Hopefully this year it will click for him because he is a beast, but if all you bring to the table is size without smarts, you are going to struggle...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
If Brooks comes back from injury, would he be the SLB? I would move him to Mike, but thats just me.
I want him at Mike too but that doesn't look like its going to happen. Best thing you can do with him is just get him on the field n tell him what to do n let him play. He's not ********, but he's no Carson Palmer either.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

James Johnson is really impressing. I've heard several people praise him including Carson...

"I can't wait to watch JJ -- No. 39 on offense play. He's Warrick Dunn -- great hands, explosively fast, really exciting guy to watch," Palmer said. "I can’t wait to watch Brandon Johnson play, he’s been the MVP of camp so far. He’s made unbelievable plays on defense. There’s a number of guys. I want to see Darryl Blackstock play, he looks the part. I haven’t seen him play because he hasn’t gotten the chance yet. And us as a unit on offense."

Chad is about ready to start practicing, oh joy.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Chick Ludwig is very high on James Johnson as well. I'll get to see him 2moro to make my evaluation but Chick doesn't hand out praise very easily. Brandon Johnson intrigues me a lot. He's got great size and speed. Wonder if we could make Johnson or Blackstock a MLB at some point to replace Dhani.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Couple thoughts from last night's scrimmage:

Brandon Johnson(WLB) is legit. He was in on almost every single play including a few nice stops for loss. If they could get him to play MLB in the future our LB corps is STACKED.

James Johnson(RB) is also a player to be reckoned with. He has some speed, quickness, and outstanding vision. In a stacked backfield he may not make the cut but he probably should. Saw him doing some punt returns and he could definitely do that if he wants.

Chris Perry is BACK! He was probably the best player on the field during that scrimmage that lacked the big stars(aside from Palmer, of course). Making catches, stretching the field, and even getting the tough yards up the middle.

The defense looked fast and like they had a purpose for once.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Thanks MIB. Johnson impressing at WLB has got me thinking about any potential of him to MLB or Rivers to MLB. Dhani is a rock, I'll give him that he shows up every Sunday and he knows what's going on. I'd just like some more long term comfort at MLB *Cough* Ahmad *Cough*.

We'll be fine at RB this year, it seems, which is comforting. Especially Perry. Those little swing passes to him were HUGE in '05.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Perry being healthy is so important. I still think I'm better at Center than Eric Ghiaciuc is though.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165