Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Calvin Johnson, 2008

I think this year CJ really begins to assert himself; we all know he's basically Jesus playing WR when it comes to the body composition, skills, and work ethic. Now it's just a matter of putting it all on the field/avoiding a freak injury.

I'm excited to see him play, and there's been a dearth of new topics. What's everyone else think?

Side note; if Jamarcus Russell falls flat this year and CJ lights it up, what do the Raiders think? I can't fault Al for going with the QB, even though CJ was without question the most talented player on the board. It would still be a tough pill to swallow.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is the best WR prospect ever. He's going to blow up sooner or later.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had a solid year last year for a first year WR. Like everyone else, I expect big thigns from him. If not this year, very shortly.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There aren't many 'sure-things' in the NFL draft, but he was/is considered one of those 'can't miss' guys.......you would figure that given everything he has, and injury free, he will bust out. Why not this year? QB play? Poor Oline? Lack of running game?

basically, the only things on his side are his incredible talent, and the fact that he has a top notch WR playing opposite him to keep extra coverage on him.....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
He is the best WR prospect ever. He's going to blow up sooner or later.
I wouldn't be so sure Sports Illustrated called tony mandarich the best LT prospect ever and look how that turned out.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
There aren't many 'sure-things' in the NFL draft, but he was/is considered one of those 'can't miss' guys.......you would figure that given everything he has, and injury free, he will bust out. Why not this year? QB play? Poor Oline? Lack of running game?

basically, the only things on his side are his incredible talent, and the fact that he has a top notch WR playing opposite him to keep extra coverage on him.....
he will bust out cause he is a Lion

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Calvin will get 900+ yards this year, probably over 1000. Next year is gonna be his big coming out party I think, year three usually is for WRs.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports from training camp say he's a man among boys. We all knew that already, though.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ressed_wi.html
Everybody bows down before Calvin Johnson!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Side note; if Jamarcus Russell falls flat this year and CJ lights it up, what do the Raiders think? I can't fault Al for going with the QB, even though CJ was without question the most talented player on the board. It would still be a tough pill to swallow.
I wouldn't expect Russell to fall flat this year though I'm sure ready for a whole lot of inconsistency throughout the entire season. CJ's gonna be soo beastly ...
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D Bowe >>>>>>>>>>>> Cj.

Joking.

Cj has godly physical attributes.

I hope the best for him, yet I think Bowe will have a better year again this year. Bowe has been killing it in camp.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Reports from training camp say he's a man among boys. We all knew that already, though.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ressed_wi.html
Everybody bows down before Calvin Johnson!

Well, with a name like "Megatron"....they should.
BRAVEHEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

He played fairly well for a rookie who was battling injuries and playing on pain killers all year.

I think he'll have a better year now that the offense is supposed to be more balanced. That team just wasn't talented/not a good enough fit to run Martz offense.

With Kevin Smith and Tatum bell getting 30 carries a game between them and a more standard offense with Roy and Calvin being focal points on the outside I think he'll be targeted more and should have a good second year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 1000+ yards and 6-8 Td's
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I think Calvin will get 900+ yards this year, probably over 1000. Next year is gonna be his big coming out party I think, year three usually is for WRs.
This is generally true that is when I'm expecting him to really break out and be franchise WR
Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure Sports Illustrated called tony mandarich the best LT prospect ever and look how that turned out.
This has nothing to do with him. And being the best prospect ever at a position doesn't guarantee success. Even IF Mandarich was the best prospect ever, his status as a pro doesn't effect how he was looked at as a prospect.

And try telling me that a 6-5, 235 lb WR who runs a 4.35 and produced the way he did with ******* Reggie Ball as your QB is not the best prospect ever. Name a better prospect, please.

BoneKrusher
Old 08-01-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Randy Moss?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moss wasn't a better prospect as long as we're discussing the whole package, but Moss is easily the best wide receiver I've ever seen play, so I can't say Johnson is better.

I supported the Russell pick back in 2007, and I still support it today. That said, I'm not sure I've ever liked a prospect as much as I liked Johnson, and I still held out hope until the last moment that Al Davis would go for the kid. Assuming Detroit can erect some sort of offense, he is going to be fun to watch.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Randy Moss?
21st pick Randy Moss? Big legal problems Randy Moss?

BoneKrusher
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not going out on a limb saying he will break out or expecting him too...He has all the measurables, and I wouldn't be surprised when he shows up with a 1300/15 TD season whether it be this year or next...If it never happens he will be viewed as a bust, but judging from last year and his 700/4 campaign he looks like he should make that turn soon the same way Braylon did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
D Bowe >>>>>>>>>>>> Cj.
I said before the draft that Bowe would have a better career than Johnson. I can only hope I'm wrong...
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I said before the draft that Bowe would have a better career than Johnson. I can only hope I'm wrong...
Thats foolish

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Thats foolish
Not yet it's not. It will be soon enough, but what's guaranteed in the NFL?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Thats foolish
One year into their careers, it doesn't look so foolish. People can make all the excuses they want for Calvin, but Dwayne Bowe was far better than him in their rookie year. Trust me, as a Lions fan I would like nothing more than for Calvin to prove me wrong.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
One year into their careers, it doesn't look so foolish. People can make all the excuses they want for Calvin, but Dwayne Bowe was far better than him in their rookie year. Trust me, as a Lions fan I would like nothing more than for Calvin to prove me wrong.
You couldn't be more right. Still, Calvin is a tiny God. As much as it pains me to admit, between him and Laron, there were moments that I longed for the Chargers dark days of drafting ridiculously high. Then again, I don't have much room to complain. Cromartie with the 19th pick astounds me in retrospect, even coming off an injury without much experience.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bowe had the upside of being the only explosive option on that offense, while Calvin Johnson was battling back pain all year. Not to say that Bowe wasn't easily the best rookie wideout, but even with the injury Johnson made some plays that I don't think Bowe will ever make.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Sophomore slump for Bowe. You heard it hear first. haha.

In all seriousness, with LJ back he should be able to improve. I imagine LJ is going to have a crappy season though.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote