Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did I just miss or it has there been zero Jordy Nelson jokes in this thread?
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 AM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Did I just miss or it has there been zero Jordy Nelson jokes in this thread?
Well, it is because the debate is for the #2 WR of all-time...
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
Well, it is because the debate is for the #2 WR of all-time...
haha touche' salesman!
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For me, the obvious people that spring to mind are Cris Carter and Randy Moss. As has been said, Moss may be the most physically gifted reciever ever to play the game. Carter was incredible as well, especially during his prime. But guys like Marvin Harrison has offered bounds of consistency over the past decade. Isaac Bruce certainly isnt the #2 reciever of all time, but so far as I know, his numbers speak for themselves and he is getting up there in most major categories. What about Irvin? he was great during his prime as well.

I think it depends on how you define best. Is the best reciever someone who breaks records or works his way into stats books? Or is the best reciever someone who knocks corners on their asses while blocking on a sweep? Or is he all of that rolled into one? its really difficult to come up with that label. That said, there really isnt a WR who changes a game like Moss. It isnt a coincidence that he is the link between the two most prolific offenses in history. If I had to rank them, it would go:

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Carter

just my personal opinion as always
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Is this a best stats thread, or best WR???

If it's the second, I'd go with Carter, Largent and Monk.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would swear the NFL started in the year 2000 on these pages. I am a lifelong Art Monk fan but I know from his era there were two definately better one was Rice, the other was Steve Largent.

I put Largent right there with Hutson at #2 but give him the edge purely because he did not have all the physical tools but the best brain of any receiver I have ever seen, he could get open in a packed subway train. Hutson had the physical skills that set him apart somewhat from his contemporaries.

With all respect to Carter and Brown they benefitted from their era and have no problem them making the Top Ten.

Randy Moss will be right up there the day he retires.

Guys you have to realise the passing game was a lot different even in the early 90's. Everything has gone in the favour of the Offense from a rule change perspective since then.
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
I would swear the NFL started in the year 2000 on these pages. I am a lifelong Art Monk fan but I know from his era there were two definately better one was Rice, the other was Steve Largent.

I put Largent right there with Hutson at #2 but give him the edge purely because he did not have all the physical tools but the best brain of any receiver I have ever seen, he could get open in a packed subway train. Hutson had the physical skills that set him apart somewhat from his contemporaries.

With all respect to Carter and Brown they benefitted from their era and have no problem them making the Top Ten.

Randy Moss will be right up there the day he retires.

Guys you have to realise the passing game was a lot different even in the early 90's. Everything has gone in the favour of the Offense from a rule change perspective since then.
not entirely true, they abolished the force out rule this offseason. Other than that, you're absolutely correct.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was gonna go with Cris Carter. I guess you could argue against him in saying that he was fortunate to have most of the QB's he did in Minnesota.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don Maynard

4 Pro Bowl Selection
5 All Pro Selection
AFL All Team
Receptions: 633
Yards: 11,834
Touchdowns: 88
Yards a Catch: 18.7 (highest for anyone with over 600 receptions)
Hall of Famer

(very homer pick i know. but whatever he was nasty)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8074cbf8

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ill go with don hutson as #2 but it will be randy moss by the time he is done playing
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have Don Huston as #3. Randy Moss is #2 for reasons ive stated many times before.

Huston did impact the game as much as Randy did, but he never got the coverages that Moss has gotten. Thats why i put Moss ahead of him.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Carter easily!!!

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i have Don Huston as #3. Randy Moss is #2 for reasons ive stated many times before.

Huston did impact the game as much as Randy did, but he never got the coverages that Moss has gotten. Thats why i put Moss ahead of him.
it is true that Hutson was never schemed against.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
it is true that Hutson was never schemed against.
absolutely false. they created zone defenses in part because of Huston.

however, Huston just simply didn't see the coverages that Moss has seen. Thats the main difference. Its difficult comparing eras, its probably the hardest thing you can do in football, but I think Moss transcends eras with his play.

Randy Moss is simply the most explosive, impactful WR to ever play the game. No offensive player that i can ever recall (outside of qbs) has forced defenses to scheme against him the way Moss has. Not even Rice.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Tim Brown for me.
I think Tim Brown is in the top 5, but I think Moss and Carter are a near toss up for #2. I'll take Carter as the #2 though, he was dominant for pretty much his entire career and didn't really fall of the face of the earth like Moss in Oakland.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
absolutely false. they created zone defenses in part because of Huston.

however, Huston just simply didn't see the coverages that Moss has seen. Thats the main difference. Its difficult comparing eras, its probably the hardest thing you can do in football, but I think Moss transcends eras with his play.

Randy Moss is simply the most explosive, impactful WR to ever play the game. No offensive player that i can ever recall (outside of qbs) has forced defenses to scheme against him the way Moss has. Not even Rice.
Agreed. By the time Moss hangs them up I would not be surprised if he were considered the greatest wideout to ever play the game.

Realistically, outside of Michael Vick, I don't know that there is a single player period who has forced teams to change their gameplan so much.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Don Maynard

4 Pro Bowl Selection
5 All Pro Selection
AFL All Team
Receptions: 633
Yards: 11,834
Touchdowns: 88
Yards a Catch: 18.7 (highest for anyone with over 600 receptions)
Hall of Famer

(very homer pick i know. but whatever he was nasty)
The player card says he is a halfback.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
The player card says he is a halfback.
He was Namath's go to guy.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1-Jerry Rice-can't argue with the staggering things he was able to do. and i think both Joe Montana AND Steve Young have him to thank for their success
1b-Don Hutson-everything that has been said about him is absolutely true. he 'changed the game'

the rest

3-Steve Largent-did great things on a mediocre team. and highlights of this dude are fun to watch.
4-Randy Moss-but, only if he keeps doing what he's doing for a good few more years. ya just can't beat his size and speed and strength.
5-Marvin Harrison-ya really have to look at him. every time Peyton Manning throws a long TD, it seems Harrison is 5 steps past the defender. i don't know how he does it, but he always seems to get open. maybe it's just me.

-Chris Carter
-Lance Alworth
-Don Maynard
-Andre Reed
-James Lofton
-Art Monk
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Cribbs>Hester needs more cowbell.

Lance Alworth end of discussion and I'm not even going to bother arguing any further bc it is not worth my time or energy to argue with a bunch of kids who think their favorite player from this generation is the 2nd greatest.
Cribbs>Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
Lance Alworth end of discussion and I'm not even going to bother arguing any further bc it is not worth my time or energy to argue with a bunch of kids who think their favorite player from this generation is the 2nd greatest.
aka u cant argue?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont know if I have ever seen so much ignorance and stupidity packed into one post...congratulations on once and for all proving that your opinion means absolutely nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah! Everybody from this generation suckz! I get that a lot of the time people forget about players that played a long time ago, but you can't just completely discount everyone from this generation. Thats just as bad.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Cribbs>Hester needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Yeah! Everybody from this generation suckz! I get that a lot of the time people forget about players that played a long time ago, but you can't just completely discount everyone from this generation. Thats just as bad.
No one said they suck, but they don't hold a candle to Lance Alworth. Randy Moss are you kidding me? I could only imagine what Alworth would have done to the record books if his team threw as many times as the teams do nowadays.

I'm not getting into bc Alworth deserves more than he gets drom modern day fans, and I don't want to hear anymore disrepsect toward one of the games greatest ever.
Cribbs>Hester is offline   Reply With Quote