Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default ***Bengals vs. Packers***

Some pre-game notes.

Carson expected to get 10-15 snaps.
Chad will play, likely limited. Rudi and TJ won't play.
Brandon Johnson starts at WLB, Rivers to follow.
Not sure if Joseph will play.

Things I'm looking out for...

Kick returner, will anyone new emerge?

Ahmad Brooks... It'd be nice to actually hear his name, haven't heard anything good from him in camp.

Chris Perry.... Please be healthy and more importantly STAY healthy.

Interested in the new press coverage and the secondary in general, especially Marvin White.

Can Fanene/Rucker do anything?

What skills will the two new DT's show?

Will there be any 3-4 looks?

Will Jordan Palmer look like an exact clone of Carson out there only making terrible decisions?
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just really want to see the rookies get a chance against another team. Rivers, Sims, and Shirley are the rooks I will keep eyes on especially.

TBH I just want to see what the defense can do.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see aggressiveness out of the defense, no matter who's in there.

Antonio Chatman starting at WR.
Darryl Blackstock at SLB.
Jonathan Fanene at RDE.

I'm assuming the Oline is as the depth chart shows.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice hit by Marvin White. DJax with a sack.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Chris Perry is (still) a MONSTER!!!! PLEASE STAY HEALTHY!!!!!

You can see Carson looking to Utecht a lot, man do I have high hopes for him.

Geathers looked good in there, I liked the aggressiveness of the defense. It'll work better when it's not David Jones and Deltha at CB. Tackling was horrible. Marvin White didn't look bad, even though he wiffed on Driver and though he crushed Jones he needed to wrap him. Brandon Johnson also looked good.

Again, Chris Perry is just a beast.

Last edited by PalmerToCJ : 08-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Defense has been sub par but they are at least doing some things like getting pressure n getting to the ball. Tackling needs a little work but nothing to get all up in arms about. White had two huge hits n Jones just got lucky as hell on that. I bet he's really embarrassed by that Donald Driver shot though.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Marvin White laying the wood again. It's a gift and a curse I think.

Not sold on Antonio Chatman at all, hopefully Maxwell/Simpson/Caldwell/Holt can step up. Caldwell isn't much of a KR at this point.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Well the Bengals defense is the most horrible thing ever. I'd be surprised if they don't get scored on every single drive. The Packers, on the other hand, might as well be the 85' Bears.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Ahmad Brooks has been spotted...

EDIT: Pleased with Fitzpatrick and PULL PERRY OUT, HE'S SHOWN WHAT HE'S CAPABLE OF!!!!

Last edited by PalmerToCJ : 08-11-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I will say after a somewhat shaky start, Ghiaciuc did some nice things. Ya I said it and I LOATHE him.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Rivers gets 4 tackles in a hurry...

I like what I see from Jerome Simpson, he just looks the part and even though that one catch was out of bounds it was still nice.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't take this wrong but....are there only two of you? Sorry, I just am used to the hoard of Packers fans that we have on here, haha.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

theres a few more but they aren't around right now for some reason. they probably have lives.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'd say there's a consistent 5 of us at this point. It gets lonely at times but it hasn't been so bad lately. I'm sure several of them will end up commenting on this thread tomorrow.

We're nowhere close to you Packer fans, I admire you lol.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

What in the world has happened with Ahmad Brooks? Ugh, I hope he gets it in gear or they put him back in the middle.

Not sure what the big deal with James Johnson is, he looks entirely too small out there.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry guys, I was over at someone else house watching the game.

Watching the game here is what caught my eye.

1. Chris Perry - He looked good in the game, and if he stays healthy I see no reason why he shouldnt be the starting RB.

2. Dexter Jackson - He looked good as well. That early pick was nice and he had that sweet sack.

3. Pressure on the QB - Wow I cant believe that the Bengals were getting that much pressure on the QB. For the Bengals...that was nice. Geathers looked good.

4. Fitzgerald - Its kinda odd to get excited about a backup QB...but he didnt do to bad...I thought he was nice...Rowe was not however...that was a horrible lob to Simpson. Way underthrown.

5. Utecht - He looked good as well. He dropped a couple early I think but that TD was pretty and he was doing well after Palmer went out. I have High hopes for him.

6. White - With the exception of the helmet knock off TD...He played nice. He is one hard hitting Mo Fo

Things that we still need improvement on.

1. J. Joseph -I wasnt impressed with him in this game at all. He let some balls get by him and he wasnt sticking to his man much. I think it was Driver that was burning him up.

2. Missed Tackles - We were missing alot of tackles....some we should have gotten. We were able to stop some of the run but let easy things get by simply because we werent getting the tackles.

Its Preseason Game 1 so I am not to hard on them...but I will say this.

ESPN is the worst news channel ever...did they ever show a replay????
and If I hear about Brett Favre one more time I may kill him.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yah I was watching the game on the big-screen so I couldn't post while I watched.

Theres no extra work needed for us than any other team. Its what I expect out of week 1 of the preseason.

Cons:
-Lots of dropped passes.
-Weak arm tackles.
-lack of consistancy.

Pros:
-Good start for Utecht on a new team.
-Chris Perry proved he's still the badass we remember from 05'.
-Defense is aggressive and attempting to bring some pressure.

As always, the first game of the preseason is never really that helpful in assessing a team's value come the regular season, but I like what I saw and glad with what we did in the off-season so far.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very promising what I saw from Perry tonight, he was running with strength and explosion, he really is a dynamic back and I really hope the Coaches give him the ball more all around(carries and catches), that goal line TD was very impressive for a guy his size...He looks like he is back to form, that could be scary for your offense, Rudi better watch out because if Perry continued to play this well I would lean more towards RBBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Overall not bad for a first game.

-I completely agree about Perry potentially starting. Part of me fears it because you just know the guy is bound to get hurt but you play your best. If anything, he should get more snaps than Rudi. In '05 I was yelling for Perry to start over Rudi. I could see Rudi on 1st down as well as 2nd and short but Perry should still wind up with a bulk of the carries. I know it's just one game but he's playing at the level he did in '05.

-Utecht could be huge for us. Those 3rd downs we didn't convert last year would be MUCH easier with Utecht and Perry out there. Carson was really looking for him and even when Fitzgerald (who looked good IMO) came in Utecht played well.

-WAAAAAAY too many missed tackles. Marvin White especially. He was either boom or bust. Some of those tackles were just pitiful.

-Aggressiveness and pass rush were much improved, I was impressed in that regard. Geathers was in your face all game and I loved the blitzing. Once the young CB's get dialed in, it should really pay off. This is the biggest improvement in the defense in my eyes, more so than players.

-Brandon Johnson and Keith Rivers did a pretty solid job in limited time, there has to be a way to get Johnson on the field with Rivers.

-Ahmad Brooks has disappeared, not sure what is up there. Put the guy back at MLB or something. He didn't do squat against the 3rd string guys. I'm really concerned with him.

-3rd WR: I really hope someone steps up. Maxwell is my favorite, Simpson showed some flashes but Maxwell seems the most ready. Chatman is in danger to get cut in my eyes. Luckily we have Utecht.

-Backup QB's: Fitzgerald looked good, I was pleased and gained confidence in him. He made smart plays generally and was making plays with his legs. Rowe on the other hand looked TERRIBLE, couldn't even throw a spiral.

-Special teams did a pretty decent job, Corey Lynch is going to be a ST STUD.

Pretty standard for a first game, I wish Odom could've played.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty decent for the first preseason game, aside from the missed tackles. I'm sure Zimmerman is going to work heavily on the tackling for the remainder of the preseason.

-Perry ran hard and angry, which was great. I hope to god he can stay healthy for us this year. Rudi better look out.

-Utecht seemed to be fitting in nicely and will open up a whole new dimension to the offense. With Utecht and Perry on the field at the same time, our offense has so many threats. There are so many things we could do with those guys.

-I still am however waiting for 3rd WR to emerge. I'll agree that Maxwell appears to be the most ready. Chatman - definitely not.

-I've got high hopes for secondary. Our CBs should for sure be Joseph and Hall. And when Chine gets back, our young safety duo should do real well. Especially with White hitting the way he does. But he tends to be hit or miss some of the time.

-Rivers and Johnson looked good and if we can get the two of them on the field at the same time it'll be scary. Hopefully Ahmad can step up and make his presence felt.

-I really liked seeing the aggressiveness from the defense and the pressure they were putting on the QBs. That is exactly what we've needed for so long. If we can keep up the intensity, everything else should fall into place.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chatman was definantly crap in that game...he was plain horrid! I just dont see him panning out.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, like everyone else, I was pleased with Utecht and Perry. I was also pleased with SOME of the aggressive play on defense, but there were many times it seemed like I was watching the same 8 yard cushion given to WR's and seeing a 5 yard pass turn into a first down.

TO MANY MISSED TACKLES and Green Bay's 3rd down conversion rate of almost 50% is NOT ACCEPTABLE !!! I don't think my TV will survive another season of me watching the defense give up first downs on 3rd and long !!!

I am more than willing to give a lot to the fact of it being the first game and people are rusty. There were some key guys our as well, so that will also help with some of it.

Rivers was a beast !!! The tandom of Oneil and Jones on the corners needs not ever be repeated again !!!
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Oh yeah, if there is any conversation in regards to who you would run over with a bus if you had a chance, I vote for Kornheiser. What a f*cking tool !!! It was hard to follow the game due to his ramblings about everything EXCEPT THE F*CKING GAME !!!

I was trying to keep track of the new guys coming in and you couldn't because they wouldn't talk about the game, they would talk about other crap like if Brett Favre was going to lead the Jets to the playoffs. Hey Kornheiser Brett Favre WASN'T F*CKING PLAYING !!! Moron.

Sorry for the rant...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I didn't even listen to the commentary I was listening to music during the game because I didn't want to hear the broadcasters.

Marvin White was somewhat disappointing but I'm not gonna sleep on him just yet. He can cover quite well and when he gets more experience he can learn when to go for the big hit and when to just make a solid tackle. That James Jones thing was pure luck as he killed him but he went right into another one of our players(O'Neal I think) which helped him retain his balance. I wasn't too worried about how the secondary played in general as after the first two series the only starter in there was White and maybe DJax was still in.

First preseason game not good defensively but theres plenty of room for improvement.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I would have been more impressed with White wrapping up as opposed to laying a hit (OR NOT) to stop the WR. That being said, it's also nice to see that we have someone on the defense not scared to bring a hit !!!