Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

White will definitely have to work on suring up his tackling. I'm all for big hits as long as the other guy goes down. I do love the fact that he's a headhunter though. It ought to make things more difficult for opposing offenses to free passes down the field.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I didn't even listen to the commentary I was listening to music during the game because I didn't want to hear the broadcasters.

Marvin White was somewhat disappointing but I'm not gonna sleep on him just yet. He can cover quite well and when he gets more experience he can learn when to go for the big hit and when to just make a solid tackle. That James Jones thing was pure luck as he killed him but he went right into another one of our players(O'Neal I think) which helped him retain his balance. I wasn't too worried about how the secondary played in general as after the first two series the only starter in there was White and maybe DJax was still in.

First preseason game not good defensively but theres plenty of room for improvement.
I was impressed by the trenches though. Geathers was playing great and for the most part I thought the line was holding up. They were really bringing the Blitz on Aaron Rodgers.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some good quotes from the post game stuff...

"We're not the '85 Bears," Zimmer said. "But for the first time, it was OK. I thought we played fast."

"They were trying to spread everybody out and if you don't keep enough into block, we're going after it" (Dexter) Jackson said.

Zimmer, looking at the Packers' 47-percent success rate on third down (8-for-17), offered, "We've got to get better on third down, but we didn't have all our bullets, either."

"You've got to wrap up; NFL receivers are big," said White, who gave about 20 pounds to Jones. "It's not like college, where you pretty much hit a guy and he does down. I learned something from this game. That's the idea. Learn something every game."

It's obviously VERY unknown whether Zimmer's style will work here but I LOVE the idea behind it. When we put our corners 1 on 1 and can send blitzers it opens up chances for sacks and turnovers.

I also like the quote from Marvin White. Yes, he missed tackles but he was all over the field at least, we've had safties that wouldn't have even put themselves in the position to miss the tackle. The early one where he wiffed on Driver didn't bother me, that hit on Jones wasn't bad really... He was trying to knock the ball loose and given Deltha was right on him it would've seem that if he didn't bring him down Deltha would've.

We're going to see a completely different defense from Breshnahan's sit back 10 yards in coverage and send 4. No way to be certain it will work with this group but it's a VERY welcome change.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Zimmer's response is about the same as most of our fans on this board which is pretty much on point. Last night wasn't something to get let down about and its going to be a work in progress for some time. Now, if we don't see improvement throughout the preseason then there is some cause for concern.

White's response is about what I expected to hear from him. He's not getting down about it but at the same time he is using it as a learning experience which is a must for any football player to succeed. I've had plenty of practices/games in my lifetime(especially when changing levels) that could've easily made me ashamed of myself. You just gotta be willing to learn and you have to know that you are going to make mistakes I don't care who you are.

Aside from JJ, he may have the most potential of anyone in this secondary.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Ahmad Brooks has been spotted...
Though I was switching between Phelps dominance and this game, the few times I did see Ahmad he was at defensive end. If that guy isn't still hurt he should be ashamed of himself. Especially if Jeanty is out for a prolonged period of time and Brandon Johnson is moved to SLB ahead of him.

He must really be mentally handicapped...

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Though I was switching between Phelps dominance and this game, the few times I did see Ahmad he was at defensive end. If that guy isn't still hurt he should be ashamed of himself. Especially if Jeanty is out for a prolonged period of time and Brandon Johnson is moved to SLB ahead of him.

He must really be mentally handicapped...
As much as I oozed over the past two years, my love fest is about over. The guy can't even do squat vs. the 3rd team. It's sad that I almost hope the injury is at least lingering so there's a reason for it.

I even saw where he was talking about putting up a good showing in case he got cut so another team would take him on... ugh.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM    (permalink
lost33cause
Rookie

lost33cause hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm curious as to why someone said JJ was getting burnt? I saw complete opposite. I saw our secondary doing will with Hall and JJ and then after the first 2 series they both came out not to see the field again.

Things I want to see Sunday:

I want to see the Oline with Williams at Center just to see what they can do. I think Gcheck did well in that game but if we want the best 5 guys out there then Gcheck has to take a seat to Willie.

I want to see Brooks go back to the MLB spot, I think that would be a good spot for him and rushing up the gut and being the backups to Jones. He can hit the A gap better than most on our team.

I want to see Simpson run with the first string to see what he can do with a decent ball thrown to him. I also like Maxwell and maybe like to see him also run with first string because Chapman has had plenty of chances to take the #3 spot and has failed miserably.

I've seen what Perry and Utecht can do and I'm pleased so don't need to see more of that but would be great to watch.

Would like to see Shirley play next to peko because Peko looked like a beast when he was in the game.

Lastly the new lineup at LB might be interesting with Johnson, Jones, and Rivers all on the field.

I'm going to the game Sunday so should be fun and hopefully no one gets hurt.
lost33cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'm sure some of you have seen but Marvin White was fined $7500 for his hit on Ruvell Martin.

Here's what Martin said lol...."probably the best shot I've ever taken. ... I got blasted in my jaw and was out. That happens. It's football. Everyone's running around there trying to hit each other and hit each other hard, and the guy got me." - Gotta give him credit for being a man about it.

The further we get away from this game the more I'm pleased with White.

Yes, the guy wiffed on several tackles however the fact that he put himself in the spot to miss them says something. I hardly even saw Madieu on most plays the last 2 years and White was all over the place.