Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:48 AM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Um... Kiwi plays SLB, and I doubt you see him line up at DE a whole lot.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=thule;1170977]#1) Packers need no Faver
Well I figured you couldn't have a NFL truths up at this time of the year without starting it off with the biggest thing to hit the USA since sliced bread. The Green Bay Packers are once again going to be the class of the NFC North. Lets face it...they have a ton of weapons...even adding addition of Jordy Nelson to the equation. The young RB's have had another offseason in the weight room and in the film room. Aaron Rodgers has been sitting for 3 years...if he wasn't the answer now he never was going to be. Bottom line is this team is one of the youngest in the NFL....and although they lost a HOF QB...this team shouldn't fall off with his departure. We are talking about a team that has depth...studs in key positions and has something to prove. The only weakness I see on this team is the talent in the deep secondary...I'm not sure if Collins is going to go back to the playmaker he was in his rookie year. Now I'm not stupid enough to think the packers are going to pull off another 13-3 season...but that has nothing to do with the loss of farve...and everything to do with the other teams in their division improving. I'm think 10 or 11 wins...gets them the 2nd seed in the Playoffs and a NFL North Division Championship.

---I have to disagee. GB is in serious trouble especially on offense. Favre covered up a lot of their weaknesses and made very average starters into studs. With Favre at QB, teams were forced to defend the pass first leaving a huge gap in the middle to defend the run. Without Favre's threat teams will load up in the middle and take all the easy yards away from Davis. He could struggle big time. Franchise QB's like Favre can make WR's look a lot better than they are, he can turn a mediocre receiver into a star. If GB was so sure their WR's were the real deal, why draft Nelson?? Finally, you have a QB who was drafted late in round 1, hardly a sure fire prospect, who must now prove that he can get the job done, with huge question marks at RB and WR. Rodgers has yet to shoew he can run a franchise and be a winner.
If it wasn't for the fact that the NFC North is a rotten Division with few goodf football teams, GB would be the favourite for last place.

2) Top 3 out of 4 is bad in 2008?
So many of us were excited on draft day. Yet when you think back to the draft you realize that the top 3 offensive picks really are going to have to exceed expectations to even be in the running for OROY this year. Jake Long is a great lineman...but this isn't the Big 10 anymore...He is going to get beat this season....and really I'm not going to put a ton of blame on him...but when you have to cover up your #1 overall pick by running the ball 30 times a game I have trouble justifying the selection. Sparano is a hell of a coach and if anyone can get the most out of Long it will be him...but I just don't think his feet were as nimble as advertised...which isn't a big deal...but against the elite rushers in the league he just isn't going to have a chance. Matt Ryan...this was a great pick for the Falcons but this is going to be like almost every other rookie qb in the league their rookie year...total abuse. Now Ryan is intelligent which will help...but nothing is going to keep him from getting beat up behind that patchy line...and just going along the progression almost all starting rookie qb's go through. I'm looking for about 60% completion percentage and about 50/50 td:int ratio his first year. Lastly Darren McFadden...as a cowboys fan I had to hear about this all year long...but I really can't get over the fact that the raiders took him. We are talking about a guy playing a position where it's been well documented you can find production later and cheaper...yet he goes top three to a team that already had 3 efficient runners. Now idk if Fargas is as dynamic as DMac...but I do know that Fargas is more productive per dollar. And crazy al really is crazy in my mind...I just don't see enough touches going around...and if I draft a RB top 3 I'm going to try to get the ball in his hands atleast 18-20 times a game...and I'm not sure if McFadden is going to see that this year or not. I loved DMac as a prospect but I absolutely hate the fit.

---Your assessment of rookies is rather absurd. If Long isn't OROY, it will be because he's an OT and rookie OT's just don't get much publicity. Joe Thomas couldn't win it last year even though he was dominate. Miami is strong at RB and every Parcell teams have pounded the ball using the run to set up the pass. So it should come as no surprise that Long will be used to establish the run and if Miami can run the ball, the DE's in the league will be forced to defend the run first slowing down any pass rush they may want to do. I believe Long will be a complete stud at LT and enable Miami to play offense the way they want to.
Ryan is a QB which makes him a 3 to 4 year project but that is how you get a franchise QB and there isn't 1 GM in pro football who wouldn't draft a QB if there was a need and one was available when they draft.
Finally, Mcfadden. It is a complete myth that you can find a real stud RB later in the draft. Over 90% of all the top RB's in the league were drafted in round 1. Sure, if you want a guy who is nothing special, you can wait till rounds 2 or 3 but the odds of getting a star there are rather miniscual. Fargus has had 1 season since he entered pro football where he stayed healthy and you want to build your franchise around him. I see McFadden putting up at least 1500 yards this season and leading Oakland to around a 8-8 season. He's explosive and will require a double team when he goes out into passing routes opening up the coverage on the team's other receivers. I guess Minny was stupid for drafting Peterson.

Beast known as the East
I'm not talking about the NFC East tho...I'm talking about the soon to be most improved division in football. The patriots are the cream of the crop in the NFL...no use telling you guys stuff you already know. But I'm extremely high on the dolphins and Bills this year. The Jets with the addition of Brett Farve only get better. Every team in that division this year has improved...and I'm looking at a big turn around for the dolphins...7-9 is a distinct possibility which is huge in a division where you play the pats twice a year. The Bills are a team I really began to follow last year...and it seemed every game they played was within 3 points either way. I'm looking for more consistency out of the QB position in Buffalo and I see no reason why they can't make a bid into the playoffs. The wild card into making this division a success is the Jets. Now I'm not one of those naive Farve fans that think that the Jets are now legit super bowl contenders...but the team is young and if the defense can take it to the next level Farve should at least be able to keep the running game easier with his presence alone on the field.

The Dolphins and the Bills will be improved but have immense ground to cover before they will scare anybody. Buffalo won't see the playoffs this year until Edwards gets a lot better.
As for the Jets, Favre has shown in the past that he doesn't handle coaching changes very well. his worst seasons were when GB changed HC's. If he doesn't get off to a good start in NY, the fans could be without mercy, this isn't GB where he was an icon who could do no wrong. It may well take him a year to settle in.

4) Brady Quinn where can he win?
I was a huge Brady Quinn fan when he came out...loved what I heard about him last offseason and then WHAM...Anderson comes in and lights it up. Anderson doesn't look like he is letting up either. Although he had a down end of the season last year...something like more INT's then TD's in his last 8 games he got his new 3 year deal in feburary...and you got to believe that the browns love his gamer mentality. The knock on Quinn I've been hearing this offseason is not being aggressive enough...choosing to check down rather than force it. Now if Anderson struggles the first five or so games in Cleveland this year I think we see Quinn get his shot...but to be honest...with that much talent on offense I find it hard to believe a QB wouldn't be able to win with that team. Although we can't overlook the loss of Big Joe at WR...as he was there 3rd down machine with his size...something that has seemingly gone unreplaced(not a word) this offseason.

5) The boys are back in town
Yes I am going ahead and predicting the first playoff victory for the cowboys in 12 years. The reason is...they are due...they have outplayed their opponents in there last two appearances and came away just short both times. They have upgraded their biggest weakness (cb) and made it a strength with the additions of Pacman/Jenkins/Scandrick. The brought in veteran leadership to a team that has really been lacking in that department on the defensive side of that ball in Zach Thomas. They picked up a better compliment for MB3 in Felix Jones...and on top of that they resigned all their targeted team FA's this offseason. We are talking about marquee guys like Flozell Adams/Terrell Owens/Terrence Newman/Marion Barber/Ken Hamlin these guys are key components...and oh yea did I mention that we also retained our offensive coordinator Jason Garrett? What about the addition in the secondary with coach Dave Campo? All and all this team has no excuse not to execute this year...and they will be the cream of the crop in the NFC 12-4.

---It all won't make a bit of difference until Romo shows he can actually win a big game in the playoffs. I'm just not sure Romo has the mental toughness to take Dallas to the next stage.

6) Pittsburgh who?
Thats what I think about when I watch TV nowadays...no one seems to be talking about the Steelers. And this is really a crying shame. If you look at the division who do they really have? The Bengals still have a porous defense the ravens are undergoing a new coaching staff change....with either Troy Smith or Kyle Boller as their starter? The Browns are up and coming...but that defense still isn't going to keep them in ballgames against the elite teams. Bottomline is the Steelers are good...and sure people are making a deal about losing some peices on the offensive line...but they added another RB to the mix...have a healthy Willie Parker...Holmes and Ben seem to have upped their game to another level and Ward is still Ward. I'm not expecting much of a change at all this year for the Steelers offense...I mean it's not like big ben didn't get knocked around last year....through the 2nd half of the season he trailed only Tom Brady in passer rating...so I expect a little more out of the Steelers offense this year. Has the Steelers defense changed in the last 10 years? If so I haven't noticed it....Hampton is going to be ready for the opener from what I've been reading...and Troy should be ready to go as well...I'm looking for big things out of Pittsburgh and they should have the division title at the end of the season. Looking for about 11 wins for them this year.

---The question mark with Pittsburgh is still their HC. Is he a winner? This will be a telling season for him and will this 4-3 HC finally try to switch Pittsburgh away from their 3-4 or will he be comfortable staying another year in a 3-4 if the team struggles.

7) OROY
I'm going to have to go with a guy who I feel can step in from day one on a team where he should get a lot of time. Jonathan Stewart over in Carolina has been tearing it up in training camp and has been reported that he is playing like a man amongst boy's over there. Stewart I believe is going to see some special teams work as well which should only help his cause for ROY. Having Steve Smith suspended for the first two games shouldn't hurt his stats either...if he stays healthy he really should have a great shot of taking home the title. Looking for over 1000 total yards and atleast 10 TD's to get him to win this award.

---That's all nice but Deangelo Williams has been sensational in his exhibition game and might just keep Stewart on the bench. I think McFadden will walk away with OROY.

8) DROY
The first thought I wanted to give the nod to Aqib Talib...a kid I'm expecting huge things from as a rookie...but I'm not sold that there is going to be enough hype down in TB to give this kid the props he deserves so I'm going to go with Kenny Phillips. Phillips has been lights out in camps from reports...supposedly hitting everything in site....which is good and bad...but Phillips is in a good situation with a strong NY pass rush and should be in position to make a ton of plays for that defense this year. If he plays the way he can play I really don't see anyone taking it away from him. Look for him to get atleast 5 picks...and about 90 tackles.

---The last 2 DROY were LB's who played on absolutely rotten teams. It is far easier for them to put up remarkable stats and rookies playing on miserable teams are far more likely to see the field sooner. Some 75% of 1st round picks don't start in game one, many have to wait till game 7 or 8 before they get any extensiive playing time.

9) MVP
Tony Romo. In order for dallas to get over the hump this year...it is going to take the very best of Tony Romo for 16 straight games this year. Tony Romo has only started 26 games so far in his career...and yet it is hard to find a more productive QB during those times. People say he doesn't play well in big games...but 2006 Colts game and 2007 Packers game ring a bell of when he played well in big games...where both teams were undefeated over halfway through the season. If Tony can put it together...he has all the weapons he needs this year to put together a MVP type season...factor in that this is his second year in Garretts offense...he doesn't have an excuse not to be in the running. He broke quite a few passing records in dallas last year...I look for him to improve on those numbers this year. To win the MVP he is going to have to be right around that 65% completion percentage with about 4400 yards with a td:int ration of 2:1. If he does this...should give him a qb rating of just over 100 and put him in a legit spot to win the MVP award.

---An extreme longshot at best until he proves he can get over the hump.

10) Superbowl Champions?
I'm going to have to go with the Indianapolis Colts this year over the Saints. The Colts are just about the same team as last year...with Sanders returning..and Addai and Gonzalez getting another year under their belt...I look for Peyton to add to his status as a top QB of all time. The Saints just won't have the secondary to stop Indy's passing attack. Final Score 35-24

---I doubt the Colts make it especially since Peyton isn't closs to being the top QB of all time. NE looks like a cinch to me as Brady @ CO. has something to attune for.
The Saints are certainly a possibility but still have to prove they can get over the hump before I crown them,.

for boe
Off the Wall shots
1) Giants won't make the playoffs...and their losses that weren't addressed as well as other teams in the division

---The Giants may well suffer from SB itis and fall flat on their faces as many other SB winners have done, because they spent too much time partying and not enough time getting ready for the coming season.

2) Laurence Maroney will have over 1500 yards in rushing..which is about 670 more yards than last year

---Maroney isn't even a cinch to start for NE. Joirdan will give him all he can handle for the starting job.

3) Chester Taylor will have ypc than Adrian Peterson

---I seriously doubt it!

4) Troy Smith won't start opening week but will by midway through the season

---I think he has an excellent shot at starting at least the first 7 games, after that it will depend on how successful he has been.

5) Both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton will start a game as the Bears QB
6) Felix Jones will better and MORE productive than Darren McFadden (sorry for the number10 reference) will have more yards from scrimmage.

---I don't think it will; be close. I could see McFadden putting up 1500 yards and I don't think Jones comes anywhere close to those #'s.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAH see, this shows how much you really know. Our coaches hav said repeatdly on passing downs Kiwi will slide down to DE. He'll be at DE QUITE a bit.

you obviously don't know anything about the Giants

and LL, I'm not downplaying the loss of Strahan. that's HUGE. his run stuffing, pass rushing, intimidation, leadership etc. can'tbe replaced. We'll miss him dearly, but he won't effectour ACES package much at all and doubt the loss of Strahan would cause the Giants to miss the playoffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Iamcanadian, GIants too much time partying? Where the hell'd you get that from? that's the furthest thing from the truth.

see now I KNOW guys are pulling **** out of there ass(not thule, guys responding...
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
And also when you mentioned the Browns not getting a replacement for Jurevicius, did you mean the whole WR core or just a 3rd down type of receiver? They did draft Martin Rucker and Paul Hubbard. Hubbard is pretty big but hasn't done great in Training Camp with dropped balls but Rucker is a receiving TE who has shown he can catch pretty well and has performed well in the first preseason game. They have 3rd year Travis Wilson. Don't forget about K2 as a receiver too.
Hubbard doesn't deserve to even be mentioned as a replacement for Joe....imo. Rucker is nice...and yes K2 will have to turn it up on third downs...I just wanted to touch that their security blanket in the passing game went without being replaced...which means other guys will have to pick it up. I'm thinking this is a bigger factor then most people realize.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Thule's right, being a replacement for Joe Jurevicius, the greatest white WR or all time in the modern-era, is pretty tough to do. Hubbard's not even close to being there
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=Iamcanadian;1171686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
#1) Packers need no Faver
Well I figured you couldn't have a NFL truths up at this time of the year without starting it off with the biggest thing to hit the USA since sliced bread. The Green Bay Packers are once again going to be the class of the NFC North. Lets face it...they have a ton of weapons...even adding addition of Jordy Nelson to the equation. The young RB's have had another offseason in the weight room and in the film room. Aaron Rodgers has been sitting for 3 years...if he wasn't the answer now he never was going to be. Bottom line is this team is one of the youngest in the NFL....and although they lost a HOF QB...this team shouldn't fall off with his departure. We are talking about a team that has depth...studs in key positions and has something to prove. The only weakness I see on this team is the talent in the deep secondary...I'm not sure if Collins is going to go back to the playmaker he was in his rookie year. Now I'm not stupid enough to think the packers are going to pull off another 13-3 season...but that has nothing to do with the loss of farve...and everything to do with the other teams in their division improving. I'm think 10 or 11 wins...gets them the 2nd seed in the Playoffs and a NFL North Division Championship.

---I have to disagee. GB is in serious trouble especially on offense. Favre covered up a lot of their weaknesses and made very average starters into studs. With Favre at QB, teams were forced to defend the pass first leaving a huge gap in the middle to defend the run. Without Favre's threat teams will load up in the middle and take all the easy yards away from Davis. He could struggle big time. Franchise QB's like Favre can make WR's look a lot better than they are, he can turn a mediocre receiver into a star. If GB was so sure their WR's were the real deal, why draft Nelson?? Finally, you have a QB who was drafted late in round 1, hardly a sure fire prospect, who must now prove that he can get the job done, with huge question marks at RB and WR. Rodgers has yet to shoew he can run a franchise and be a winner.
If it wasn't for the fact that the NFC North is a rotten Division with few goodf football teams, GB would be the favourite for last place.
We'll just agree to remember this come playoff time and one of us will be eating crow

2) Top 3 out of 4 is bad in 2008?
So many of us were excited on draft day. Yet when you think back to the draft you realize that the top 3 offensive picks really are going to have to exceed expectations to even be in the running for OROY this year. Jake Long is a great lineman...but this isn't the Big 10 anymore...He is going to get beat this season....and really I'm not going to put a ton of blame on him...but when you have to cover up your #1 overall pick by running the ball 30 times a game I have trouble justifying the selection. Sparano is a hell of a coach and if anyone can get the most out of Long it will be him...but I just don't think his feet were as nimble as advertised...which isn't a big deal...but against the elite rushers in the league he just isn't going to have a chance. Matt Ryan...this was a great pick for the Falcons but this is going to be like almost every other rookie qb in the league their rookie year...total abuse. Now Ryan is intelligent which will help...but nothing is going to keep him from getting beat up behind that patchy line...and just going along the progression almost all starting rookie qb's go through. I'm looking for about 60% completion percentage and about 50/50 td:int ratio his first year. Lastly Darren McFadden...as a cowboys fan I had to hear about this all year long...but I really can't get over the fact that the raiders took him. We are talking about a guy playing a position where it's been well documented you can find production later and cheaper...yet he goes top three to a team that already had 3 efficient runners. Now idk if Fargas is as dynamic as DMac...but I do know that Fargas is more productive per dollar. And crazy al really is crazy in my mind...I just don't see enough touches going around...and if I draft a RB top 3 I'm going to try to get the ball in his hands atleast 18-20 times a game...and I'm not sure if McFadden is going to see that this year or not. I loved DMac as a prospect but I absolutely hate the fit.

---Your assessment of rookies is rather absurd. If Long isn't OROY, it will be because he's an OT and rookie OT's just don't get much publicity. Joe Thomas couldn't win it last year even though he was dominate. Miami is strong at RB and every Parcell teams have pounded the ball using the run to set up the pass. So it should come as no surprise that Long will be used to establish the run and if Miami can run the ball, the DE's in the league will be forced to defend the run first slowing down any pass rush they may want to do. I believe Long will be a complete stud at LT and enable Miami to play offense the way they want to.
Ryan is a QB which makes him a 3 to 4 year project but that is how you get a franchise QB and there isn't 1 GM in pro football who wouldn't draft a QB if there was a need and one was available when they draft.
Finally, Mcfadden. It is a complete myth that you can find a real stud RB later in the draft. Over 90% of all the top RB's in the league were drafted in round 1. Sure, if you want a guy who is nothing special, you can wait till rounds 2 or 3 but the odds of getting a star there are rather miniscual. Fargus has had 1 season since he entered pro football where he stayed healthy and you want to build your franchise around him. I see McFadden putting up at least 1500 yards this season and leading Oakland to around a 8-8 season. He's explosive and will require a double team when he goes out into passing routes opening up the coverage on the team's other receivers. I guess Minny was stupid for drafting Peterson.
I'm not saying that the top 3 guys are busts...just that I don't expect much contribution from them. I don't care of Miami is running the ball...you have to have the threat of a adaquet passing game to get the run game going...and until that happens Mia will be running into 8 man fronts...if this is the case Long is going to be blocking in passing situations. Now I don't think he is a bad tackle...but going up against elite rushers is just something that he isn't going to be able to do on his own in this league. But I'm sure Sparano will give him help with chips from the TE/RB. Ryan yes is a project just like any QB coming out...I touched on that tho in my description.

Our biggest difference is our views on McFadden...I'd be willing to be a large amount of money/aka pride that McFadden doesn't break a 1000 yards rushing....Oakland has already stated that carries are going to be spread out and that alone is enough for me to not be scared of McFadden....once again we'll wait till playoff time to see who is right or wrong.

Beast known as the East
I'm not talking about the NFC East tho...I'm talking about the soon to be most improved division in football. The patriots are the cream of the crop in the NFL...no use telling you guys stuff you already know. But I'm extremely high on the dolphins and Bills this year. The Jets with the addition of Brett Farve only get better. Every team in that division this year has improved...and I'm looking at a big turn around for the dolphins...7-9 is a distinct possibility which is huge in a division where you play the pats twice a year. The Bills are a team I really began to follow last year...and it seemed every game they played was within 3 points either way. I'm looking for more consistency out of the QB position in Buffalo and I see no reason why they can't make a bid into the playoffs. The wild card into making this division a success is the Jets. Now I'm not one of those naive Farve fans that think that the Jets are now legit super bowl contenders...but the team is young and if the defense can take it to the next level Farve should at least be able to keep the running game easier with his presence alone on the field.

The Dolphins and the Bills will be improved but have immense ground to cover before they will scare anybody. Buffalo won't see the playoffs this year until Edwards gets a lot better.
As for the Jets, Favre has shown in the past that he doesn't handle coaching changes very well. his worst seasons were when GB changed HC's. If he doesn't get off to a good start in NY, the fans could be without mercy, this isn't GB where he was an icon who could do no wrong. It may well take him a year to settle in.
Edwards doesn't need to be an all-pro to take them to the playoffs imo...he may need to make clutch throws at times...but he has the talent around him to be servicable and win right now imo

4) Brady Quinn where can he win?
I was a huge Brady Quinn fan when he came out...loved what I heard about him last offseason and then WHAM...Anderson comes in and lights it up. Anderson doesn't look like he is letting up either. Although he had a down end of the season last year...something like more INT's then TD's in his last 8 games he got his new 3 year deal in feburary...and you got to believe that the browns love his gamer mentality. The knock on Quinn I've been hearing this offseason is not being aggressive enough...choosing to check down rather than force it. Now if Anderson struggles the first five or so games in Cleveland this year I think we see Quinn get his shot...but to be honest...with that much talent on offense I find it hard to believe a QB wouldn't be able to win with that team. Although we can't overlook the loss of Big Joe at WR...as he was there 3rd down machine with his size...something that has seemingly gone unreplaced(not a word) this offseason.

5) The boys are back in town
Yes I am going ahead and predicting the first playoff victory for the cowboys in 12 years. The reason is...they are due...they have outplayed their opponents in there last two appearances and came away just short both times. They have upgraded their biggest weakness (cb) and made it a strength with the additions of Pacman/Jenkins/Scandrick. The brought in veteran leadership to a team that has really been lacking in that department on the defensive side of that ball in Zach Thomas. They picked up a better compliment for MB3 in Felix Jones...and on top of that they resigned all their targeted team FA's this offseason. We are talking about marquee guys like Flozell Adams/Terrell Owens/Terrence Newman/Marion Barber/Ken Hamlin these guys are key components...and oh yea did I mention that we also retained our offensive coordinator Jason Garrett? What about the addition in the secondary with coach Dave Campo? All and all this team has no excuse not to execute this year...and they will be the cream of the crop in the NFC 12-4.

---It all won't make a bit of difference until Romo shows he can actually win a big game in the playoffs. I'm just not sure Romo has the mental toughness to take Dallas to the next stage.
To me I guess I feel Romo has proved he has the mental toughness in the regular season...like i said...packers game/colts game/even the buffalo game he had to overcome adversity to put his teams in positions to win. I really find it hard to blame the Giants loss on him...I didn't see him missing open WR's...I saw him trying to make plays. We should get a good look at it this year tho...three years of playoff failure is going to be bad news for him in the media if it happens

6) Pittsburgh who?
Thats what I think about when I watch TV nowadays...no one seems to be talking about the Steelers. And this is really a crying shame. If you look at the division who do they really have? The Bengals still have a porous defense the ravens are undergoing a new coaching staff change....with either Troy Smith or Kyle Boller as their starter? The Browns are up and coming...but that defense still isn't going to keep them in ballgames against the elite teams. Bottomline is the Steelers are good...and sure people are making a deal about losing some peices on the offensive line...but they added another RB to the mix...have a healthy Willie Parker...Holmes and Ben seem to have upped their game to another level and Ward is still Ward. I'm not expecting much of a change at all this year for the Steelers offense...I mean it's not like big ben didn't get knocked around last year....through the 2nd half of the season he trailed only Tom Brady in passer rating...so I expect a little more out of the Steelers offense this year. Has the Steelers defense changed in the last 10 years? If so I haven't noticed it....Hampton is going to be ready for the opener from what I've been reading...and Troy should be ready to go as well...I'm looking for big things out of Pittsburgh and they should have the division title at the end of the season. Looking for about 11 wins for them this year.

---The question mark with Pittsburgh is still their HC. Is he a winner? This will be a telling season for him and will this 4-3 HC finally try to switch Pittsburgh away from their 3-4 or will he be comfortable staying another year in a 3-4 if the team struggles.
The steelers will be running the 3-4 as long as Lebeau is around.

7) OROY
I'm going to have to go with a guy who I feel can step in from day one on a team where he should get a lot of time. Jonathan Stewart over in Carolina has been tearing it up in training camp and has been reported that he is playing like a man amongst boy's over there. Stewart I believe is going to see some special teams work as well which should only help his cause for ROY. Having Steve Smith suspended for the first two games shouldn't hurt his stats either...if he stays healthy he really should have a great shot of taking home the title. Looking for over 1000 total yards and atleast 10 TD's to get him to win this award.

---That's all nice but Deangelo Williams has been sensational in his exhibition game and might just keep Stewart on the bench. I think McFadden will walk away with OROY.
McFadden will need injuries and a passing game to be in the ROY conversation imo

8) DROY
The first thought I wanted to give the nod to Aqib Talib...a kid I'm expecting huge things from as a rookie...but I'm not sold that there is going to be enough hype down in TB to give this kid the props he deserves so I'm going to go with Kenny Phillips. Phillips has been lights out in camps from reports...supposedly hitting everything in site....which is good and bad...but Phillips is in a good situation with a strong NY pass rush and should be in position to make a ton of plays for that defense this year. If he plays the way he can play I really don't see anyone taking it away from him. Look for him to get atleast 5 picks...and about 90 tackles.

---The last 2 DROY were LB's who played on absolutely rotten teams. It is far easier for them to put up remarkable stats and rookies playing on miserable teams are far more likely to see the field sooner. Some 75% of 1st round picks don't start in game one, many have to wait till game 7 or 8 before they get any extensiive playing time.
Kenny Phillips will start week 1

9) MVP
Tony Romo. In order for dallas to get over the hump this year...it is going to take the very best of Tony Romo for 16 straight games this year. Tony Romo has only started 26 games so far in his career...and yet it is hard to find a more productive QB during those times. People say he doesn't play well in big games...but 2006 Colts game and 2007 Packers game ring a bell of when he played well in big games...where both teams were undefeated over halfway through the season. If Tony can put it together...he has all the weapons he needs this year to put together a MVP type season...factor in that this is his second year in Garretts offense...he doesn't have an excuse not to be in the running. He broke quite a few passing records in dallas last year...I look for him to improve on those numbers this year. To win the MVP he is going to have to be right around that 65% completion percentage with about 4400 yards with a td:int ration of 2:1. If he does this...should give him a qb rating of just over 100 and put him in a legit spot to win the MVP award.

---An extreme longshot at best until he proves he can get over the hump.

10) Superbowl Champions?
I'm going to have to go with the Indianapolis Colts this year over the Saints. The Colts are just about the same team as last year...with Sanders returning..and Addai and Gonzalez getting another year under their belt...I look for Peyton to add to his status as a top QB of all time. The Saints just won't have the secondary to stop Indy's passing attack. Final Score 35-24

---I doubt the Colts make it especially since Peyton isn't closs to being the top QB of all time. NE looks like a cinch to me as Brady @ CO. has something to attune for.
The Saints are certainly a possibility but still have to prove they can get over the hump before I crown them,.
Peyton manning isn't cloe to being a top qb of all time>? Thats news to me...and yes I agree NE looks like a legit shot...which is why they are the favorites at this point.

for boe
Off the Wall shots
1) Giants won't make the playoffs...and their losses that weren't addressed as well as other teams in the division

---The Giants may well suffer from SB itis and fall flat on their faces as many other SB winners have done, because they spent too much time partying and not enough time getting ready for the coming season.

2) Laurence Maroney will have over 1500 yards in rushing..which is about 670 more yards than last year

---Maroney isn't even a cinch to start for NE. Joirdan will give him all he can handle for the starting job.
Faulk is another year old and Maroney really got more playing time as the season went on....I find it extremely hard to believe that we see the same arial attack form NE that we saw last year...and I expect the pats to go with a much more balanced attack this year...which is why I give Maroney the big numbers.

3) Chester Taylor will have ypc than Adrian Peterson

---I seriously doubt it!

4) Troy Smith won't start opening week but will by midway through the season

---I think he has an excellent shot at starting at least the first 7 games, after that it will depend on how successful he has been.
I find it hard to believe he will get a shot to start week 1 over Boller but we will see.

5) Both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton will start a game as the Bears QB
6) Felix Jones will better and MORE productive than Darren McFadden (sorry for the number10 reference) will have more yards from scrimmage.

---I don't think it will; be close. I could see McFadden putting up 1500 yards and I don't think Jones comes anywhere close to those #'s.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Thule's right, being a replacement for Joe Jurevicius, the greatest white WR or all time in the modern-era, is pretty tough to do. Hubbard's not even close to being there
Wes Welker!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Wes Welker!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11
who? whoever he is, he can't hold JJ's jock!

Jurevicius FTW!!!!!1!!one!1!!
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
But thats exactly why Tuck can't replace Strahan.

Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty
Michael Strahan 2007 NY Giants 16 45 12 57 9.0 65 0 0 0 0 1 2 0
Justin Tuck 2007 NY Giants 16 48 17 65 10.0 61 0 0 0 0 2 1 0

I keep hearing about how Justin Tuck is going to replace Strahan, but, last year, the Giants had

Strahan Cofield Tuck Umenyiora - Yeah, Tuck wasn't the starting DT, but he rotated in a lot of put up numbers comparable with any starter.

So they lose Strahan.
LDE DT DT RDE
??? Cofield Tuck Umenyiora

And Justin Tuck is going to replace Strahan

LDE DT DT RDE
Tuck Cofield ??? Umenyiora

But Tuck will still play DT during passing downs.

LDE DT DT RDE

And while they're developing young players, Tollefson and Alford combined are not a replacement for

LDE DT DT RDE

^
the production they got from Strahan there

or

Tuck Cofield ??? Umenyiora
__________^the production they got from Tuck there

Strahan was a big part of the Giants defensive line, the unit that got there where they were. And Tuck can't just step in and replace him because he was already a big part of the Giants defensive line as well.

JMHO.
Not once do you mention Mathias Kiwanuka. Not once do you mention our best DT Fred Robbins. That's a bad job by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes you will, this has already been brought up by our DC, via interviews and by our GM too. Kiwi will be all over the place. Let's not forget about Wynn either. He was an important signing because he can play inside as a DT or outside as a DE. So that gives us versatility as well.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I don't want anyone to think that the loss of Strahan is being shoved under the rug. He was the best DE in the league against the run and really turned it on against the pass as the season progressed. But the combination of young talent we have in the trenches, Steve Spagnuolo, and our scheme...trying to say our pass rush is going to be anything worse than top 5 in the NFL is downright silly.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I don't want anyone to think that the loss of Strahan is being shoved under the rug. He was the best DE in the league against the run and really turned it on against the pass as the season progressed. But the combination of young talent we have in the trenches, Steve Spagnuolo, and our scheme...trying to say our pass rush is going to be anything worse than top 5 in the NFL is downright silly.
People want to make it like we will be lost with Strahan...

Quote:
Spags: ok, they are lining up in trips right. So we are going to double fire mike, Rover, cover 3.

Antonio Pierce: How? What do you mean? We can't...WE DON'T HAVE A LEADER!!!!!!!!

Give me a break. Strahan, our fearless leader, wasn't in training camp for all last season. Do you think the team stopped because we didn't have a leader? Someone else always steps up and becomes that leader. Pierce was practically a co-leader last season. Strahan gave the "stomp you out" speech, but AP was the leader of the defense. He is the heart and soul of that defense, and makes sure everyone, including the D-line are lined up correctly.

This team is truly a team, people need to understand that. No more Tivi, no more Shockey, and now this team is settled and has no big time issues of people under mining the coach.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The thing that people are saying is that the other three teams in the division didn't lose their best defensive player. They didn't lose offensive gamebreakers...the Giants did...and thats why a lot of people are skeptical of the Giants getting to the playoffs...because the other teams in the divisions upgraded...the Giants downgraded slightly.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
The thing that people are saying is that the other three teams in the division didn't lose their best defensive player. They didn't lose offensive gamebreakers...the Giants did...and thats why a lot of people are skeptical of the Giants getting to the playoffs...because the other teams in the divisions upgraded...the Giants downgraded slightly.
Strahan was a very good defensive player. But he hasn't been the best for a while guys. He lost a step in his game, specifically on the pass rushing side, and also has to fight off injuries, which caused him to get slimmer, and get down to 255 which was rare for him. One area he was consistent in, and even he said took pride in, was stopping the run. That was an area he never really declined in. He was still able dis-engage blockers, and locate the ball, and make a play.

Every year people are sketical. Now it's the point it's kind of expected. People were skepitcal with Eli, and I am sure people are still skeptical, and that's fine. People were skeptical, when we lost Tiki, and we managed. Now people are skeptical with the loss of Strahan.. It never stops, which is funny in a way. But hey, if that means the team putting a chip on their shoulder, then fine by me. The Giants and even our fan base have learned to embrace the underdog role. Now it's kind of fun in a way.

And I disagree, we didn't down grade. We filled all our loses with free agents and drafted player. We lost Wilson, we signed Sammy Knight, and drafted KP. We lost Strahan, we signed Renaldo Wynn, who by the way can play DT and DE, suprise, suprise. We lost mitchell, we signed Danny Clark, and drafted 2 LBs. We also added a WR and CB to the mix as well. We have ALL our coaches back AND now our offense gets consistency under Gilbride.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Not once do you mention Mathias Kiwanuka. Not once do you mention our best DT Fred Robbins. That's a bad job by you.
That post originally had Robbins, but I replaced him with Cofield. But much like everyone I did mention in that thread, Robbins played last year too. So much like Tuck, he's not an addition or a replacement. He was already there.

As for Kiwanuka, everything I heard is how he's finally starting to get the nuances of the linebacker position and how he's finally adjusting to that position. And he, like everyone else mentioned did play last year although not in the playoffs and he, like everyone else mentioned, is a downgrade from Michael Strahan at DE.

Now yes, there is every reason to think that the Giants pass will be in the top 5 or 6. But last year, they were in the top 1, seperated from #2 by a fairly hefty margin. Thats what got them to the Superbowl.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
we didn't lose a gamebreaker... Shockey was excellent, but honestly, didn't do **** for us last year

he's a gamebreaker, but wasn't for us. He'll tear it up in NO though.

We'll be ok, Tuck will be fine filling in at DE and Osi is still Osi(top 3 DE IMHO). PLUS Wynn and Tollefson will fill Tuck's roll nicely. Both are big and quick ad will stay fresh. Tollefson will be a known name after this year. Spags is just a freaking genius, copied from Johnson. He'll put our guys where they need to be to thrive

AND he got his safety in Phillips, who can cover! Gibril was an excellent in the box safety, but since Butler can't cover a lick, Gibril played out of position in coverage, where Phillips will be fine. I understand the doubt and skepticism, but i doubt the Super Bowl champs make that big a drop from champs to not making the super bowl...

and as I posted in PF's thread: "Dare you doubt us again?"

Sam Madison and Pierce will easily step up as leaders, as well as Osi(albeit amore comical leader) and O'Hara is the leader of the OL and O really. Strahan will be sorely missed, but won't kill us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsYROOO20w
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
That post originally had Robbins, but I replaced him with Cofield. But much like everyone I did mention in that thread, Robbins played last year too. So much like Tuck, he's not an addition or a replacement. He was already there.

As for Kiwanuka, everything I heard is how he's finally starting to get the nuances of the linebacker position and how he's finally adjusting to that position. And he, like everyone else mentioned did play last year although not in the playoffs and he, like everyone else mentioned, is a downgrade from Michael Strahan at DE.

Now yes, there is every reason to think that the Giants pass will be in the top 5 or 6. But last year, they were in the top 1, seperated from #2 by a fairly hefty margin. Thats what got them to the Superbowl.
it could still be argued we're still atop with Osi, Tuck, Kiwi and Spags. I still think we lead the league in sacks, and thule is 100% right. Phillips will win DROY, in part because he's awesome, and because our pass rush will get him INT's
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Same thing was said last year at this time.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Oh I am still very confident the Giants have the BEST pass rush in the NFL right now. I'm trying to avoid the "nobody can touch us" lines for obvious reasons however.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Kiwi moving back to DE for 2008? Just curious.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
he will on passing situations, but he's our starting SLB this year.

another interesting thing weve been toying with: Kiwi with his hand on the ground, and Tuck back in coverage. that should be fun
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
He will play both.. We will have him couple series as DE, and then also playing LB, with occasional plays as a DE. So we continue moving people around.

Plus we fire zone alot, so in a way it doesn't matter. Tuck drops back in coverage, and Kiwi rushes anyways, so everything all works itself out in our system.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

ALD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
My god I must need psychiatric help, I'm clearly a masochist, that's the only explanation for actually reading your posts.

Sorry for that out burst but in our base package, which last year went Strahan - Cofield - Robbins - Osi, Kiwi will be the SAM, however in our nickel package, which last year went Strahan - Tuck - Alford - Osi, Kiwi will be playing Strahan's LDE spot. So even with all of the progress Kiwi has made at SLB he'll still be getting a lot of snaps at DE. Hope that makes sense to you and you are able to remember it.

Last edited by ALD : 08-13-2008 at 12:58 PM.
ALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

ALD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Actually Kiwi got hurt pretty early in the season, long before our run into and through the playoffs, when the team really took it to another level, so while he technically did play last year, he didn't play much once Spags got really comfortable and creative with the defense.

Personally I think Kiwi might be even better than Strahan as a pass rusher, but that's a combination of Strahan having slipped a little as a pass rusher and me personally being a big Kiwi fan.
ALD is offline   Reply With Quote