Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD View Post
I'd hope that a significant alteration in marketability would be enough to change one's name, don't know the US legal system well enough to say for certain but if he can't change his name, even after proving how much more money he'd stand to make, I'd find it morally wrong.
I'd imagine you would have a hard time proving that every single person out there who is a Bengals fan, or a Chad Johnson fan, would go out and buy a jersey. Or that the changing of his name would increase his ability to be offered more endorsement contracts.

They would be walking a thin line, because if that was the case, every nut that honestly thought changing their name to something stupid and ridiculous would be at the courthouse, clogging it up, with their requests to be named Ben Dover or something stupider. You get the idea.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha I love it. Make it happen Chad!
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Awesome. Chad Johnson is the man.
He's the man named "Ocho Cinco".

the future.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

ALD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I'd imagine you would have a hard time proving that every single person out there who is a Bengals fan, or a Chad Johnson fan, would go out and buy a jersey. Or that the changing of his name would increase his ability to be offered more endorsement contracts.

They would be walking a thin line, because if that was the case, every nut that honestly thought changing their name to something stupid and ridiculous would be at the courthouse, clogging it up, with their requests to be named Ben Dover or something stupider. You get the idea.
I don't think Chad would have that hard of time proving the added marketability. The novelty of his NFL jersey saying Ocho Cinco alone would gaurantee a lot more $ coming in.

As for this opening the door for other nuts to try and change they're names they might, but they'll have a hard time proving that Ben Dover will really help them earn more $ as garbage men or janitors. I don't believe in the slippery slop argument and think chad johnson has a legitimate case, whether the outcome of his legitimate case would effect the number of people with bogus requests shouldn't impact the validity of his request.
ALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think Chad would have that hard of time proving the added marketability. The novelty of his NFL jersey saying Ocho Cinco alone would gaurantee a lot more $ coming in.

As for this opening the door for other nuts to try and change they're names they might, but they'll have a hard time proving that Ben Dover will really help them earn more $ as garbage men or janitors. I don't believe in the slippery slop argument and think chad johnson has a legitimate case, whether the outcome of his legitimate case would effect the number of people with bogus requests shouldn't impact the validity of his request.
You're right, it is fallatious to discredit his claim when considering the repercussions, but we're not looking at this from a logically correct standpoint. This could potentially become a monster the courts don't wanna deal with. Maybe judges won't have a hard time rejecting these claims, but the fact that they have to consider them and analyze them is more than what i imagine they want to deal with.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahaha, this is soooo awesome.

I hope it starts a trend.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Hahaha, this is soooo awesome.

I hope it starts a trend.
that would be an awesome trend. Although I can't think of anyone else who has a true nickname (initials don't count) Marion Barbarian?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
You're right, it is fallatious to discredit his claim when considering the repercussions, but we're not looking at this from a logically correct standpoint. This could potentially become a monster the courts don't wanna deal with. Maybe judges won't have a hard time rejecting these claims, but the fact that they have to consider them and analyze them is more than what i imagine they want to deal with.
And that's yet another reason I despise the US legal system. But that's a discussion for another place and another time.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
that would be an awesome trend. Although I can't think of anyone else who has a true nickname (initials don't count) Marion Barbarian?
King Osi, and it's not even just a nickname. And Kiwi
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
And that's yet another reason I despise the US legal system. But that's a discussion for another place and another time.
It is a whole different argument. I just call 'em like i see 'em.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
"Lights Out" would look waaaaay too good on the back of a jersey, but we'd probably have to see the dance more, so it would just balance out.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
It is a whole different argument. I just call 'em like i see 'em.
Yeah, my problem is I'm a realist who wants to be an idealist. I wish things worked logically and get pissed off everytime I realize they don't, which is often, which is probably why I've kept myself docile with large quantities of ganj in the past.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
"Lights Out" would look waaaaay too good on the back of a jersey, but we'd probably have to see the dance more, so it would just balance out.
And that's when we would see the XFL once again.

Sorry, but i'm not up to seeing "He Hate Me" again.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
And that's when we would see the XFL once again.

Sorry, but i'm not up to seeing "He Hate Me" again.
He Hate Me, the walking oxymoron.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, my problem is I'm a realist who wants to be an idealist. I wish things worked logically and get pissed off everytime I realize they don't, which is often, which is probably why I've kept myself docile with large quantities of ganj in the past.
I get pissed as well, which is why i argue a lot. I can see both sides though, so sometimes you'll see me arguing towards the logically correct stance.

Although i wish i wasn't so much that way, i'd life a more comfortable life.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
He Hate Me, the walking oxymoron.
"The living embodiment of the perfect oxymoron"

You mean..
Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

This is stupid as hell. This would make the nfl look like a joke or like th XFL as metsox mentioned.

Seriously, a bunch of guys running around with fake names on the field? It would tarnish the history and tradition of the NFL and turn it into a cartoon.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
I get pissed as well, which is why i argue a lot. I can see both sides though, so sometimes you'll see me arguing towards the logically correct stance.

Although i wish i wasn't so much that way, i'd life a more comfortable life.
I play devil's advocate with my stoner buddies all the time, when I'm in a serious discussion I'll argue for logic, freedom and small to no government everytime, but playing devil's advocate is fun when I don't care if i'm right or wrong.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is awesome, chad is my hero

there was actually a kid that we played that was in our football district that his last name was actually quarto dos and his number was 42

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which is why i mentioned that Chad better have a hell of an attorney if he wants to convince a judge to change his last name to 'Ocho Cinco'. He's gonna need to provide a slightly better reason than more marketability, i'd imagine. If he does change it though, he better be ready to be Mr. Ocho Cinco for the rest of his life.

Imagine
Kids: "Hey grandpa Ocho Cinco!"

Chad: "Come'ere kids.."
I've gone through a name change. Trust me, he doesn't have to convince the judge of anything. All he has to do is fill out and file the appropriate paperwork. And a judge isn't going to deny him, because the judge simply isn't going to care. As long as you're not trying to steal somebody's identity, or your not a convicted felon, you can pretty much change your name to anything you want.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 08-13-2008 at 02:40 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I've gone through a name change. Trust me, he doesn't have to convince the judge of anything. All he has to do is fill out and file the appropriate paperwork. And a judge isn't going to deny him, because the judge simply isn't going to care. As long as you're not trying to steal somebody's identity, or your not a convicted felon, you can pretty much change your name to anything you want.
I have a hard time believing that it's gonna be as easy as you're saying it is.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously dont think itll be a big deal for a judge for someone wanting to change their name...whats the difference if their parents named him Chad Ocho Cinco or Him changing his name to that later, not a big deal. Theres other stuff the judge should be dealing with.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I don't know much about the legal aspect but I don't think a judge would typically deny a name change. I know the pro wrestler the Ultimate Warrior legally changed his name to Warrior because he's stupid and thought it would give him legal rights to the copyrighted trademark name.
dpl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Good to know. I'd imagine changing my name will come in handy one day, glad to hear it's not a major issue. Did you change your name in Florida? That's where Chad's going to be doing it so I'm wondering if the courts will treat it similarly there as they did during your experience.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That guy is off his freaking rocker. I like it.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote