Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bsaza's 10 NFL Truths

BBD passed the torch to me, so I'm going to do my thing. Didn't read any of the other truths. Not saying I'm going to be right either. Just doing my thing.

1. The Bills and Texans are teams on the rise. I usually mock Buffalo's long, long run of bad luck, but I just have a hunch about them this year. I think they are an underrated team on both sides of the ball. They have a workhorse back in Marshawn Lynch, an up and comer in Trent Edwards, and I loved the selection of Hardy as a possession-type WR opposite the speedy Evans. I think the Bills will sneak up on people early, then they have a great home field advantage, especially in November/December. They won't unseat the Patriots, but I think they will beat the Pats once this year and will finish second in their division. I foresee a 10-6 record and a playoff berth.

The Texans play in a sickeningly good division, but they have a full year under Kubiak and his zone-blocking scheme. I think that Steve Slaton will be a decent weapon, and Andre Johnson is god-like when healthy. Keep Matt Schaub upright, and he should be awesome. Owen Daniels is underrated stretching the seams of the D. I think the Texans defense led by Demeco Ryans and Mario Williams will really make strides this year. I don't see them making the playoffs, but I think they will be very, very strong.

2. The Cowboys will finish in the bottom half of the East and will be on the playoff bubble. Everything seemed to break right for the Cowboys last season, and their offense was prolific, allowing their D to really tee off on some teams. Everyone in the league will be ready to play the Cowboys this year, and they are no longer a novelty act. They are the hunted. I think DeMarcus Ware is one of the best in the league, but the safety combo of Roy and Ken Hamlin remains a weak spot, despite excellent depth at CB between an already dinged TNew, an underrated Henry, and a rusty-but-talented Pacman. I see more injuries biting the Cowboys, perhaps on the OLine, which will affect them significantly. On top of it, I see a lot of strong personalities in that locker room, and I see a coach in Wade Phillips who is a lame duck. Jason Garrett is the future of the Cowboys, and the players know it. Anyone can have a happy locker room when the team goes 13-3. I find it hard to believe that this team will knuckle down and kick arse if they start 1-3. I don't think TO will be the problem. I just don't see them as a team that will come together under Phillips. Cowboys go 9-7 due to injuries and a ridiculous division schedule and miss the playoffs because the terrible teams in the West and South have to be represented. I think the Cowboys are poised for a ridiculous run come 2009. They just have to suffer through some pain in 2008.

3. The Packers and Jets will both finish at .500. The Jets have the easiest schedule in the league and a QB who can throw the ball further than 8 yards. They also have a bunch of new players and a very weak CB crew. They also play in a division with a rising Bills team, a Dolphins team that can't be that bad, and the juggernaut Pats. I think their D pressures the QB, and Favre steals 2 games for them. 8-8 in the AFC East after a 4-12 2008 is a huge success. Green Bay is another team that overachieved last season and won some games that they probably should have lost. I don't see Aaron Rodgers having a bad year, but he's not Brett Favre. Their D should take a step back from excellent to merely very very good, and they are likely due for some more injuries (law of averages). They have a tougher schedule this year, and no one will overlook them. 8-8 seems much more likely than 12-4...

4. Major players on the move next offseason: I see a lot of movement this next offseason, whether it's via trade, retirement, or release: Clinton Portis, Donovan McNabb, Anquan Boldin, Willie Parker, Kareem McKenzie, Amani Toomer, Brian Dawkins, Derrick Anderson, Todd Heap, DeAngelo Williams, Julius Peppers, Jake Delholme, Jeff Garcia, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Larry Johnson, John Runyan, Derrick Brooks, Charles Woodson, Kyle Boller, Jeremy Shockey, Flozell Adams, Randy Thomas, Roy Williams (both of em), and Matt Light. I think all of these players will be with new teams this time next year.

5. Offseason Awards:
  • Coach of the Year: I think it is a race between Brad Childress, Dick Jauron, and Gary Kubiak. Winner: Kubiak
  • MVP: Brian Westbrook means everything to the Eagles offense. I think he justifies his contract and posts 2300 yards from scrimmage with 19 TD's. If the Eagles do what I hope they can do, that means he is a strong contender.
  • Offensive MVP: Matt Schaub, Texans. I think everything breaks right for the Texans this year. They will still have to throw because their D is still coming together. Andre Johnson should be healthy, and I like their peripheral weapons. Of course, the lack of a great RB is also helpful...
  • Defensive MVP: Lofa Tatupu. I think he is everything to that defense, and I see a tremendous year for him. He is underrated to me, if that's possible...
  • OROY: Matt Forte, Bears. The offensive ROY is usually the RB that his the best OLine + the most chances. I could be wrong here, but I just have a hunch.
  • DROY: Keith Rivers, Bengals. I think he is that good, and I think he will be that good from Day 1. He will amass monster amounts of tackles and sacks because he has to.
6. The Rams will win the NFC West. I don't love the Seahawks on offense this year. Their RB's are just as bad as they were in 2007 with Alexander, and I think they will miss DJ Hackett more than you think. Holmgren is also a lame duck coach, and I just don't see this D carrying the team enough. We know that SF is horrendous, and Arizona's secondary remains in shambles, and there is no clarity with their QB situation. I think the Rams are much improved, I love the hiring of Al Saunders. I think not being in camp will preserve the shelf life of SJax, and I think he will finish strong. Throw in an easy schedule, the emergence of Adam Carriker, and the Bulger-Holt connection, and I think they win the West with a 9-7 record.

7. Fantasy Values/Studs: Matt Schaub, Mark Bulger, Matt Forte, Dwayne Bowe, Sidney Rice, Marshawn Lynch, Deuce McCallister (second half pickup), LJ Smith, Robert Meacham, Anthony Gonzalez, Steven Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, Donovan McNabb, Donald Driver, Thomas Jones, Calvin Johnson, Josh Cribbs, and Rudi Johnson.

8. Fantasy Overdrafts/Duds: Marvin Harrison, Antonio Gates, Larry Johnson, Randy Moss (I think his TD's fall to under 10), Cadillac Williams, the Carolina Panthers, Seattle RB's/WR's, Todd Heap, Felix Jones, John Kitna, Donte Stallworth, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo (will be very good, not amazing), and David Garrard.

9. Coaching changes galore next offseason. Lane Kiffin will get fired pretty much no matter what. John Fox's team is already in shambles, and they need a new voice. Jim Zorn could be canned for no reason at all unless the Redskins win the NFC East. SF needs to clean house very badly. Lovie Smith is on the hot seat in Chicago. I think Marvin Lewis will get fired in Cinci (1 year too late). Between that and Mike Holmgren retiring, Wade Phillips being forced out for Garrett, and my prediction that Dungy will ride into the sunset with another title (see #10), we're looking at potentially 10 coaching changes going into 2009. Over/under is set at 6.5 changes total. I think I have to take the over...

10. Super Bowl Prediction: Colts over NFC East representative. I think the Colts are poised to really make a run here. Yes, they choked in 2007, but this is Dungy's last stand, and he'll leave as a champion. The Colts are being overlooked, which is a mistake for sure. I think they have an offense that can put up points, and their defense is underrated. The NFC East is the deepest and strongest division in football. The Giants remain underrated even after they , the Cowboys are just as talented as they were in 2007, the Eagles are flying under the radar, and the Redskins have a new coach and a great attitude. The teams in the East are the best 4 teams in the conference in terms of both coaching and talent. Whoever closes strongest in December will be the best team in the conference and will be battle tested. Still, the Colts will prove to be too high powered an offense, even outdoors on grass. Manning and Dungy will win their second title together in February 2009.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the scary thing is, I agree with virtually everything you said. Bravo, excellent job.

for number 4: I do see Amani retiring, but not sure with McKenzie. I think he stays, no need to mess up our OL and their chemistry. Granted we've got starting calibur backup RT Olivea, but our OL was great this year. not really seeing him leaving unless he wants to go out at age 33 after backtoback super bowls! ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Props on going out on a limb, but the Cowboys are making the playoffs, I'd be willing to make a wager with you...Can't say you didn't go all out though, although I don't know how you are going to predict injuries to certain players ahead of time...We probably had a tougher schedule last year just for the record, and if thats the case who wins the NFC east?

Giants lost more personnel then the Cowboys, Washington had more changes in the coaching staff then Dallas, and Philly needs to worry more about injuries then any other team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers will not let Willie leave. Hes under contract for a few more years and they arn't going to break up the combo of him and Mendenhall.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the key for Dallas is starting quickly. If they start off 1-3, they could easily end up folding. I just don't see the team rallying under Wade Phillips. That is a big key. I'm not a believer in that team having unity.

Your points about the Giants' holes is somewhat overblown. What did they really lose? Strahan's presence was huge, but they still have a potent pass rush. Their secondary may have improved with Phillips. I live in DC, and I hear what the players are saying under Zorn and the new staff. They are happy and unified. It is disheartening... The Eagles have some injury issues, but they are under the radar. Even so, Dallas and Philly tend to split their season matchup anyway...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Steelers will not let Willie leave. Hes under contract for a few more years and they arn't going to break up the combo of him and Mendenhall.
I happen to share the opinion that Willie is cooked after 3 years of heavy use. I could be wrong, but I think he will be deemed overpaid. I can easily see the Steelers trading him predraft and picking up someone cheap to complement Mendenhall.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very nice job bsaza, I could nitpick, but I won't and I'll just say most of that seems pretty solid to me. (I do think the Cowboys get 10 or 11 wins though)

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Feel free to nitpick. That's what the forum is all about.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I think the key for Dallas is starting quickly. If they start off 1-3, they could easily end up folding. I just don't see the team rallying under Wade Phillips. That is a big key. I'm not a believer in that team having unity.

Your points about the Giants' holes is somewhat overblown. What did they really lose? Strahan's presence was huge, but they still have a potent pass rush. Their secondary may have improved with Phillips. I live in DC, and I hear what the players are saying under Zorn and the new staff. They are happy and unified. It is disheartening... The Eagles have some injury issues, but they are under the radar. Even so, Dallas and Philly tend to split their season matchup anyway...

My points about the Giants holes are not overblown, I just pointed out they lost some key contributors from their super bowl run, neither of us know how important they will be, but I do know that the only people Dallas lost were people who sucked(Reeves, Ayodele, JJ) and improved through FA and the draft(Zach Thomas who your underrating what type of role he will have, Jenkins, Felix Jones) so I don't understand how we are going to just fold and collapse and not gel, like were some new team...The nucleus of this team stayed together, nobody left, so it seems like your reaching with the unity and Wade Phillips stuff but w/e, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#3 : I think the Jets finish above .500 given the addition of Favre and their weak schedule. Their CBs are a bit questionable, but if they can manage to put pressure on the opposing QB then that'll solve some of the problems back there. I believe it is a real possibility the Packers finish .500 or below; they have an unproven QB, tough ass schedule, and if they suffer an injury or two to their defense then it could be a long year.

#6 : The Rams are talented offensively, but Jackson has to be there to make it happen. There's talk of him not playing until the last 8 games and if that's the case then the Rams have little to no chance of going to the playoffs. If Jackson does play all 16 games then it is definitely possible.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
My points about the Giants holes are not overblown, I just pointed out they lost some key contributors from their super bowl run, neither of us know how important they will be, but I do know that the only people Dallas lost were people who sucked(Reeves, Ayodele, JJ) and improved through FA and the draft(Zach Thomas who your underrating what type of role he will have, Jenkins, Felix Jones) so I don't understand how we are going to just fold and collapse and not gel, like were some new team...The nucleus of this team stayed together, nobody left, so it seems like your reaching with the unity and Wade Phillips stuff but w/e, to each his own.
My point is that your coach has a long history of losing his team when his team is losing games. Couple that history with the fact that Garrett is the coach in the very near future, and that tips the scales. On top of it all, I'm not sure that the team's core and additions are really ready to gel. You find out what a team is about in times of adversity. The only adversity this team faced last year was in the playoffs, and they lost to the Giants. We'll see what kind of team you have if they start 1-3 or 2-4. Can they rally? I'm not sure they can. I think the locker room chemistry is much more tenuous than you think.

I'm not really worried about the offense beyond Romo cutting down his turnovers and the lack of a true #2/#3 WR threat. The major chink is the age of the OLine, so we could see slippage there. On defense, I'm very worried about Dallas's weakness in the middle. I'm not sure that the DLine can keep guys like Thomas clean. They should have fine outside D, but up the middle, I think they're exploitable.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As you said, I went way out there...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
#3 : I think the Jets finish above .500 given the addition of Favre and their weak schedule. Their CBs are a bit questionable, but if they can manage to put pressure on the opposing QB then that'll solve some of the problems back there. I believe it is a real possibility the Packers finish .500 or below; they have an unproven QB, tough ass schedule, and if they suffer an injury or two to their defense then it could be a long year.

#6 : The Rams are talented offensively, but Jackson has to be there to make it happen. There's talk of him not playing until the last 8 games and if that's the case then the Rams have little to no chance of going to the playoffs. If Jackson does play all 16 games then it is definitely possible.
I think that Favre will struggle a bit with the new offense and meshing with Cotchery, Coles, and the TE's. He will recover with the help of the weaker schedule, but I'm not sold on the team winning more than 8. That is my conclusion, and we can disagree.

The Rams point is a risk, but I think Jackson will play because he won't get paid otherwise.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Feel free to nitpick. That's what the forum is all about.
Don't mind if I do.

Quote:
1. The Bills and Texans are teams on the rise. I usually mock Buffalo's long, long run of bad luck, but I just have a hunch about them this year. I think they are an underrated team on both sides of the ball. They have a workhorse back in Marshawn Lynch, an up and comer in Trent Edwards, and I loved the selection of Hardy as a possession-type WR opposite the speedy Evans. I think the Bills will sneak up on people early, then they have a great home field advantage, especially in November/December. They won't unseat the Patriots, but I think they will beat the Pats once this year and will finish second in their division. I foresee a 10-6 record and a playoff berth.

The Texans play in a sickeningly good division, but they have a full year under Kubiak and his zone-blocking scheme. I think that Steve Slaton will be a decent weapon, and Andre Johnson is god-like when healthy. Keep Matt Schaub upright, and he should be awesome. Owen Daniels is underrated stretching the seams of the D. I think the Texans defense led by Demeco Ryans and Mario Williams will really make strides this year. I don't see them making the playoffs, but I think they will be very, very strong.

3. The Packers and Jets will both finish at .500. The Jets have the easiest schedule in the league and a QB who can throw the ball further than 8 yards. They also have a bunch of new players and a very weak CB crew. They also play in a division with a rising Bills team, a Dolphins team that can't be that bad, and the juggernaut Pats. I think their D pressures the QB, and Favre steals 2 games for them. 8-8 in the AFC East after a 4-12 2008 is a huge success. Green Bay is another team that overachieved last season and won some games that they probably should have lost. I don't see Aaron Rodgers having a bad year, but he's not Brett Favre. Their D should take a step back from excellent to merely very very good, and they are likely due for some more injuries (law of averages). They have a tougher schedule this year, and no one will overlook them. 8-8 seems much more likely than 12-4...
Soooo the Bills who added

Leodis McKelvin
James Hardy
Marcus Stroud
Kawika Mitchell
Dustin Fox
Courtney Anderson

And the Jets added

Vernon Gholston
Dustin Keller
Brett Favre
Kris Jenkins
Calvin Pace
Alan Faneca
Damien Woody
Tony Richardson
Bubba Franks

And the Bills are going to be better? I'll take the latter group over the former any day.

As for the Packers, let assume for a minute that Aaron Rodgers does well. Not pro bowl well, but well. Where are the Packers weak talent wise? Anywhere? I doubt a team as young and talented as the Packers are with playoff experience go .500 this year. People seem to have forgotten why everyone thought the Packers were going to draft a cornerback early. Not so much because they were weak at cornerback, but because it was one of the few places where they're not very young. IMO, people are severely underrating both Rodgers and the Packers.

Quote:
2. The Cowboys will finish in the bottom half of the East and will be on the playoff bubble. Everything seemed to break right for the Cowboys last season, and their offense was prolific, allowing their D to really tee off on some teams. Everyone in the league will be ready to play the Cowboys this year, and they are no longer a novelty act. They are the hunted. I think DeMarcus Ware is one of the best in the league, but the safety combo of Roy and Ken Hamlin remains a weak spot, despite excellent depth at CB between an already dinged TNew, an underrated Henry, and a rusty-but-talented Pacman. I see more injuries biting the Cowboys, perhaps on the OLine, which will affect them significantly. On top of it, I see a lot of strong personalities in that locker room, and I see a coach in Wade Phillips who is a lame duck. Jason Garrett is the future of the Cowboys, and the players know it. Anyone can have a happy locker room when the team goes 13-3. I find it hard to believe that this team will knuckle down and kick arse if they start 1-3. I don't think TO will be the problem. I just don't see them as a team that will come together under Phillips. Cowboys go 9-7 due to injuries and a ridiculous division schedule and miss the playoffs because the terrible teams in the West and South have to be represented. I think the Cowboys are poised for a ridiculous run come 2009. They just have to suffer through some pain in 2008.
The Cowboys will go 9-7 because of injuries is a truth? They went 13-3 last year with Phillips, and Garrett and everybody else. The only people they lost were

Terry Glenn (didn't play much last year)
Jason Ferguson (didn't play much last year)
Anthony Fasano (backup, replaced by Martellus Bennett)
Akin Ayodele (replaced by Zach Thomas)
Julius Jones (replaced by Felix Jones)

Glenn and Ferguson barely played last year and it could very easily argued that two out of the other three were upgraded by who they were replaced by.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Crickett, point by point:

The Bills had a better defense and running game to begin with. Their QB has been in their system for 2 years, as opposed to 2 weeks. The Jets added plenty of veterans, but who really counts as an impact signing outside of Favre and Faneca? Will Favre be able to be Favre? Jenkins hasn't played at a pro bowl level in years, Franks is more of a blocker and will lose PT to Keller, Gholston may or may not be a pass rush answer, Pace has had 1 decent year. Favre is a big key, but I believe in the Bills to win more games. I am confident in that prediction.

Packers: Finishing at 8-8 isn't that big a deal given that they are a young team, are downgrading from Favre to Rodgers, had almost no injuries last year, and have a first place schedule and a target on their backs. The Favre saga was a distraction in camp and could continue. 8-8 isn't underrating anyone. It's .500. I'm not expecting them to fall off. Just what I think.

Cowboys: I mentioned injuries as a possibility, but that isn't the crux of my argument. I was more about the weakness at safety, my perception that they lack team unity, the fact that Phillips is a lame duck coach, plus the crush of expectations and the fact that they won't sneak up on anyone. The Phillips situation is significant. He didn't have Garrett as the coach in waiting last year. He almost lost his job after the playoffs and a 13-3 season. That is a big deal. Phillips has a long history of losing teams, and I don't get the feeling that his players will kill themselves for him. Injuries are a possibility with any aging player, and the Cowboys OLine is older than it is younger. I think the Boys lack a little OLine depth, which is why I think an injury there will be a big deal.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flozell Adams with a new team? Dallas just resigned him this offseason.

I won't touch on your dallas stuff...you've backed your thoughts.

I still don't think the Texans have the back to make them a true TOUGH competitor...so I'm going to say you went a little to far on them...I think they'll be about the same as they have been the past couple of years...middle of the road team that can upset a good team if healthy and playing well.

Funny that we agree on the bills..I also proclaimed an outside shot at the playoffs in my truths yesterday...a eagles and cowboys fan agreeing :P

Other than that not a lot that I have to debate.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I forgot about Flozell's new deal. My impression is that he is on the decline physically, though he is so smart, he still gets the job done. You are right. With his contract, he can't be cut after this season (or probably next).

Every year, we see teams jump. I thought the Texans would jump last year, but they did show a lot of heart. When Sage Rosenfels + Ron Dayne can have big weeks, you have to think that starting caliber players can do even better. I think that the Texans D will be much better this year as well. It is unfortunate that they play in the AFC South....

Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Crickett, point by point:

The Bills had a better defense and running game to begin with. Their QB has been in their system for 2 years, as opposed to 2 weeks. The Jets added plenty of veterans, but who really counts as an impact signing outside of Favre and Faneca? Will Favre be able to be Favre? Jenkins hasn't played at a pro bowl level in years, Franks is more of a blocker and will lose PT to Keller, Gholston may or may not be a pass rush answer, Pace has had 1 decent year. Favre is a big key, but I believe in the Bills to win more games. I am confident in that prediction.

Packers: Finishing at 8-8 isn't that big a deal given that they are a young team, are downgrading from Favre to Rodgers, had almost no injuries last year, and have a first place schedule and a target on their backs. The Favre saga was a distraction in camp and could continue. 8-8 isn't underrating anyone. It's .500. I'm not expecting them to fall off. Just what I think.

Cowboys: I mentioned injuries as a possibility, but that isn't the crux of my argument. I was more about the weakness at safety, my perception that they lack team unity, the fact that Phillips is a lame duck coach, plus the crush of expectations and the fact that they won't sneak up on anyone. The Phillips situation is significant. He didn't have Garrett as the coach in waiting last year. He almost lost his job after the playoffs and a 13-3 season. That is a big deal. Phillips has a long history of losing teams, and I don't get the feeling that his players will kill themselves for him. Injuries are a possibility with any aging player, and the Cowboys OLine is older than it is younger. I think the Boys lack a little OLine depth, which is why I think an injury there will be a big deal.

Point by point,

I don't think people realize just how big of an upgrade Faneca, Woody and Jenkins are. LG, RT and NT were probably the three weakest positions on the Jets team last year. Much as I liked to defend him, DeWayne Robertson was as much of a 3-4 NT as Roy Williams is a cornerback. Kellen Clemens wasn't very impressive last week, but he did have one thing I've never seen him have before. He had time to throw. Oh, and the Bills QB's are Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman.

Packers: For a team with a 13-3 record and one game away from the superbowl, going 8-8 is falling off.

Cowboys: Claiming the Cowboys have a weakness at safety isn't quite accurate as Ken Hamlin was a pro bowler and unlike some other Cowboy safeties, deserved to go. They have a weakness at Roy Williams, but thats no different than last year either. And no, they didn't sneak up on anyone. They were the best team in the NFC during the regular season. Now, you could say they choke in the playoffs, but to say they may not even get there?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is everyone here picking the Colts to win it all?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see no reason that the Chiefs trade/get rid of LJ. He just signed a big contract last season. Why trade him now?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Point by point again, Crickett:

I think Faneca is a big upgrade, but mostly in the running game. The Jets will be better offensively, but that doesn't guarantee that Favre will mesh with his weapons right away. There is a lot of chemistry that needs to be built. Kris Jenkins is no guarantee to be better, more productive, or on the field more than Robertson. He is a potential upgrade, but nothing more. Woody was so bad for Detroit that he got cut. Not that big a deal to me.

The Bills have a strong team mentality, a bulldog of a D, a potentially stronger running game, and I like Edwards quite a bit. I think Lee Evans is the most explosive receiver between the 2 teams, and I think that Hardy is the best red zone option between the 2. I think I'm right, but I'm not going to debate opinion much more with you.

The Packers overperformed their skill level against a weakish schedule in 2007 with Brett Favre. Aaron Rodgers has never started a game before, and he will have growing pains. The team is good and young, but I'm not sure they have the same degree of unity that they had in 2007. Favre's exit remains an issue. Possibly a veterans vs. young guys thing. I think this team loses a few more close games than it won in 2007. 8-8 might be a little low, but I already put it out there, and I'm not backing off.

Pro Bowl voting means nothing to me. Roy Williams was also elected to the Pro Bowl. You think that Hamlin and Roy getting so many votes had something to do with homer fan votes, homer press votes, and players and coaches who didn't pay enough attention? Hamlin is decent, but he's not a pro bowl performer to me. He certainly isn't as good as Laron Landry can be, nor would I take him over a healthy Dawkins.

Bottom line is that I'm out there doing my thing and showing balls. If I just said Dallas would choke again, you would call me a hack and a poser who is copying. I am going out on a limb to predict things that takes guts to write and back up. If you come with legitimate logic and facts that I have overlooked (i.e. the Flozell thing), I'll acquiesce. Otherwise, I won't.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
I see no reason that the Chiefs trade/get rid of LJ. He just signed a big contract last season. Why trade him now?
He will force the situation because he is a bad teammate and a less coachable player than others. He thinks he is all that, but he won't be able to do anything as the Chiefs rebuild. I don't think he has the patience or the cooperation to stick with it. I also think that he could be cooked. I love LJ as a player (PSU fan), but he is a baby and a primadonna.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is good stuff. I kind of feel like making my own.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Go for it.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
This is good stuff. I kind of feel like making my own.
Do it.

Do it.

DO IT!!!

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Point by point,

I don't think people realize just how big of an upgrade Faneca, Woody and Jenkins are. LG, RT and NT were probably the three weakest positions on the Jets team last year. Much as I liked to defend him, DeWayne Robertson was as much of a 3-4 NT as Roy Williams is a cornerback. Kellen Clemens wasn't very impressive last week, but he did have one thing I've never seen him have before. He had time to throw. Oh, and the Bills QB's are Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman.

Packers: For a team with a 13-3 record and one game away from the superbowl, going 8-8 is falling off.

Cowboys: Claiming the Cowboys have a weakness at safety isn't quite accurate as Ken Hamlin was a pro bowler and unlike some other Cowboy safeties, deserved to go. They have a weakness at Roy Williams, but thats no different than last year either. And no, they didn't sneak up on anyone. They were the best team in the NFC during the regular season. Now, you could say they choke in the playoffs, but to say they may not even get there?
Well lets go point by point on the Bills- Jets theory shall we..

Last year despite having many people on the IR who were supposed to be starters the Bills defeated the Jets with both of their crappy QB's in Trent Edwards and J.P Losman in a sweep of the Jets.

Brett Favre has a losing record against the Bills in his career including being 0-3 vs the Bills in Ralph Wilson Stadium with what arguably would be called much better Packers teams than the Jets will be this year....2-3 all time against the Bills

The Bills also upgraded their run defense severely by adding Marcus Stroud over any number of the Bills DT's last year, they added Mitchell who is an upgrade of undersized Keith Ellison, Pos will start again and will be an upgrade over Digorgio. Aaron Schobel had 3.5 sacks last year after recording no less then 8.5 any other year...Do you expect Schobel to get 3.5 sacks again with an upgraded defense?

The Bills offense will be improved.....i'm not saying its gonna be fantastic but it wont get any worse than what it was last year in being ranked # 31 last year. Even if they get it up to 20th with their defense they will see a significant improvement in their Win Loss total....

I'm not saying the Jets haven't improved, I actually hate the fact that the Jets got Brett Favre but their are questions....i saw him interview today talkin about how his expectations are low and basically telling teams what scat means in their system...i'm sure eric mangini loved that. What kind of mindset is that for a QB of a team... I haven't learned the players names lol I was laughing at it the whole interview ...im not trying to nitpick but if i'm a coach i'm goin what the hell are u doing.....The acquisitions that they got some were good and some are questionable.....Faneca will obviously be an upgrade so will Favre over Pennington, Dustin Keller is a rookie and you dont know what he is going to bring...he could be a stud or he could be a flop is he goin to be Anthony Becht or is he going to be Kellen Winslow you just dont know yet so he imo is a N/A. Kris Jenkins once upon a time was a dominant DT but injuries have taken a toll on him and once again you dont know what your going to get out of him...is he going to be a shell of his former self after injuries or will he return to dominance that is always a N/A. Damien Woody again was once a dominant guard but once he went to Detroit he kind of fell on his face and was also hurt for a portion of his time there .....can he return to form or will he be just another waste of money?

If Calvin Pace has a season like last year he will be an upgrade at LB but was he just playing for a new contract or has he finally busted out we'll find out again this season...

I'm not saying the Bills are a ton better but they got valuable depth by having a lot of their backups this year starting last year which will only help...heres the list....John Digorgio, George Wilson, Jabari Greer, John McCargo, Roscoe Parrish, and Trent Edwards...i'm sure i'm leaving a few out but that depth will help...i'm not going to include any of the bills rookies because i will sound like a hypocrite...they are N/A as well....I think the Bills went from sweeping the Jets to splitting with them.....and I agree with the original poster a good Jets season would be 9-7 with 8-8 being likely....

As for the soft schedule argument those are based off of last year...You never know who is gonna be good or stink in the NFL on a given year
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote