Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you for so eloquently and appropriately breaking out what I have been saying all along...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, without trying to go berserk over some of your comments Bsaza, there's no way on god's green earth that the Cowboys win ONLY 9 games, so long as Romo and T.O are healthy all year. Those are the only two spots that i can honestly say we would be screwed should one of them go down.

With that said, you better watch some Cowboys games before you say Hamlin is overrated and/or undeserving of his Pro-Bowl status. The ONLY hole on our defense, would be SS, and the coaching staff is doing everything in their power to avoid getting exposed.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

ALD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

While I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Dallas crumble under Phillips, especially with Garrett there, I think they're built to beat up bad teams and too talented not to make the playoffs, I'm expecting them to win the division again, with the Eagles and Gmen grabbing the wild cards. But come playoff time I really think Phillips is going to be stuck in "hope my boys don't actually need a coach" mode.
ALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Okay, without trying to go berserk over some of your comments Bsaza, there's no way on god's green earth that the Cowboys win ONLY 9 games, so long as Romo and T.O are healthy all year. Those are the only two spots that i can honestly say we would be screwed should one of them go down.

With that said, you better watch some Cowboys games before you say Hamlin is overrated and/or undeserving of his Pro-Bowl status. The ONLY hole on our defense, would be SS, and the coaching staff is doing everything in their power to avoid getting exposed.
If Wade Phillips were my HC I'd be very concerned. He's basically Jim Fassel if Fassel had started of as a DC. I nice guy, who players like to play for, but not a good coach who'll be able to rally the troops when the ish hits the fan.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD View Post
While I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Dallas crumble under Phillips, especially with Garrett there, I think they're built to beat up bad teams and too talented not to make the playoffs, I'm expecting them to win the division again, with the Eagles and Gmen grabbing the wild cards. But come playoff time I really think Phillips is going to be stuck in "hope my boys don't actually need a coach" mode.
Beat up bad teams?

You mean the Giants?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll continue this point by point.

If it even crosses you're mind that Jenkins isn't an upgrade over Robertson or than Faneca isn't a huge upgrade over Clarke in both the running and passing game, then I can only assume that you never actually saw the Jets play last year. I'd argue that Clarke was the worst starting offensive lineman regardless of position in the entire NFL last year. And I'm going to rewrite in large bold letters.

ADRIAN CLARKE WAS THE WORST STARTING OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

And while Robertson might find success in the 4-3 as an undertackle, he was one of the biggest reasons the Jets defense was as bad as it was. You can argue that Jenkins isn't a pro bowl calibur player anymore, but anyone that argues that he outright sucks at this point in his career like Robertson did last year is either a fan of a rival AFC East or just plain foolish.

As for the Packers, how exactly did they overperform? A game away from the Superbowl, not really weak at any position on the team in 2007. And Rodgers, it always goes back to he's going to struggle. Even though to this point in the time that he's actually played, he hasn't. Nobody seems to even consider the possibility that he's going to do well.

As for the pro bowl, Ken Hamlin deserved to go, Roy Williams did not. I made my opinion on that fairly clear, despite what Laron Landry "could be".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Bottom line is that I'm out there doing my thing and showing balls. If I just said Dallas would choke again, you would call me a hack and a poser who is copying. I am going out on a limb to predict things that takes guts to write and back up. If you come with legitimate logic and facts that I have overlooked (i.e. the Flozell thing), I'll acquiesce. Otherwise, I won't.
And I have the right to nitpick, you even said so. :)
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Beat up bad teams?

You mean the Giants?
You saw our defense the first game, we were atrocious. And the second time around when the defense wasn't horrendously bad Eli dropped a bomb.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
You saw our defense the first game, we were atrocious. And the second time around when the defense wasn't horrendously bad Eli dropped a bomb.
Okay, so you got lit up for 45 the first time, then 31 the next. Is that that big of an improvement? You really don't have much talent to work with in the secondary outside of Ross and Phillips, both who are still young and raw.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Okay, so you got lit up for 45 the first time, then 31 the next. Is that that big of an improvement? You really don't have much talent to work with in the secondary outside of Ross and Phillips, both who are still young and raw.
Webster really played well once he came into the fold again and Madison would be much better working against teams #3s than team's #1s. Plus Spags improved a lot as a co-ordinator as the season went on and he got to expirement and tinker. Plus we've got Thomas, who's looking like a Ross clone, and Dockery for added depth. I'm actually very comfortable with our secondary so long as Michael Johnson wins the other safety spot from James Butler.

And yes our defense really did improve, still not enough to stop you guys the second time around, but spags clearly found somethings that worked which is why we were able to stop you guys and turn Romo into a headless chicken the third time around.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Webster really played well once he came into the fold again and Madison would be much better working against teams #3s than team's #1s. Plus Spags improved a lot as a co-ordinator as the season went on and he got to expirement and tinker. Plus we've got Thomas, who's looking like a Ross clone, and Dockery for added depth. I'm actually very comfortable with our secondary so long as Michael Johnson wins the other safety spot from James Butler.

And yes our defense really did improve, still not enough to stop you guys the second time around, but spags clearly found somethings that worked which is why we were able to stop you guys and turn Romo into a headless chicken the third time around.
Well you're not the only one with a coaching staff there. Everyone is gonna be able to make adjustments this time around. And honestly, i wouldn't put all my eggs in the NYG Secondary basket, cause i honestly don't see it being all that great. Webster played pretty good down the stretch and in the playoffs, and if he can keep it up, then maybe it won't be as bad as i think, but i wouldn't bet on it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Well you're not the only one with a coaching staff there. Everyone is gonna be able to make adjustments this time around. And honestly, i wouldn't put all my eggs in the NYG Secondary basket, cause i honestly don't see it being all that great. Webster played pretty good down the stretch and in the playoffs, and if he can keep it up, then maybe it won't be as bad as i think, but i wouldn't bet on it.
I'm not expecting us to be competing with Oakland's secondary, but we'll still have a monster pass rush and with a monster pass rush our secondary is good enough to shut a lot of teams down.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the record, I think the Cowboys are as talented as any team in the NFL. Probably the most physically gifted team in the NFC. However, a lot of it comes down to matchups, execution, and coaching. I think that the Cowboys don't have a lot in the coaching department, and I'm not certain that they have enough pass rush to cover for their secondary black hole of Roy Williams. It is my contention that if they start slow, they will crumble. If they go 4-0 again, they will be fine front runners. I don't see them coming back on anyone.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 08-13-2008, 02:16 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
For the record, I think the Cowboys are as talented as any team in the NFL. Probably the most physically gifted team in the NFC. However, a lot of it comes down to matchups, execution, and coaching. I think that the Cowboys don't have a lot in the coaching department, and I'm not certain that they have enough pass rush to cover for their secondary black hole of Roy Williams. It is my contention that if they start slow, they will crumble. If they go 4-0 again, they will be fine front runners. I don't see them coming back on anyone.
Yeah, I agree with you there, until I see a Wade Phillips lead team show any resiliency I'll doubt his ability to win the big games.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Let's not forget that they start off @ Cleveland, at home against Philly (who beat them at home last year), @ GB, and vs. the Redskins. A 1-3 start is not out of the question...

Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
How exactly could you see the Cowboys starting off 1-3?

They're gonna be 8-0 before they actually play a team worth their time. And it's the team they destroyed twice last year.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
How exactly could you see the Cowboys starting off 1-3?

They're gonna be 8-0 before they actually play a team worth their time. And it's the team they destroyed twice last year.
I could see a 2-2 start, at philly and cleveland, but 1-3 is hugely unlikely, unless they really get some bad breaks which wasn't the case last year.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I could see a 2-2 start, at philly and cleveland, but 1-3 is hugely unlikely, unless they really get some bad breaks which wasn't the case last year.
I'd be very disappointed with 3-1.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Is it possible that you overrate the Cowboys just a bit? It is possible that somewhere between my opinion and yours lies the truth. I just happen to think that this Cowboys team doesn't have the coaching and leadership to overcome an early setback.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I don't get why everyone thinks the Cowboys low injury rate has to do with some string of luck? We simply have the best training staff in the entire league.

Over the course of Jerry Jones tenure as cowboys owner, we have been the least injured team in the league -- and second place isn't even close.

I'll post statistics from Football Prospectus 2008 when I get home, they have an entire section devoted to ranking the training staff by keeping track of the number of injuries that happen to a team every year.

Off the top of my head, I know the Cowboys average about 3 injured players a year, which is 1st in the league by far. I also remember them saying that the 2nd place team (I believe it is the steelers??) was closer to the 10th ranked team in the league that it was to Dallas.

Again, I'm not sure, but I think the steelers had something like 9 players who were injured.

Not sure how an injury is measured off the top of my head either, but I'm guessing it only counts if it causes you to miss a game.

I'll get real numbers when I get home.

Either way, I expect us to make the superbowl this year. And No, this isn't a typical cowboy homer. You can ask any Cowboy fan on here and they will tell you that I am usually the most negative and pessimistic poster about our team on these boards. This is the first time in years that I have felt like we are fielding one of the best teams in the league with no weaknesses.

I wanted to see an improved secondary, a better rotation of pass rushers and D-line rotation, new packages that play to the personnels strengths instead of trying to force things (like RW being in on passing downs), improvement at the ILB spot, an upgrade over Julius Jones (I hate you, rot in hell in Seattle with a sub-4 AYPC), an improvement from both Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, and the beginning stages of phasing out old people (nice to know you Greg Ellis). I got every single one of these things.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Potential for injuries were only a small part of why I am not so high on the Cowboys this year. My logic was based around your lame duck coach, who has a significant history of losing his team during tough years. Combine that with my belief that your team unity is not as strong as you think, and you could have a disappointing situation. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow. However, I think that the start and close of your schedule is much tougher than you think, and it won't be so easy to get where you think you're going.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I'll continue this point by point.

If it even crosses you're mind that Jenkins isn't an upgrade over Robertson or than Faneca isn't a huge upgrade over Clarke in both the running and passing game, then I can only assume that you never actually saw the Jets play last year. I'd argue that Clarke was the worst starting offensive lineman regardless of position in the entire NFL last year. And I'm going to rewrite in large bold letters.

ADRIAN CLARKE WAS THE WORST STARTING OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

And while Robertson might find success in the 4-3 as an undertackle, he was one of the biggest reasons the Jets defense was as bad as it was. You can argue that Jenkins isn't a pro bowl calibur player anymore, but anyone that argues that he outright sucks at this point in his career like Robertson did last year is either a fan of a rival AFC East or just plain foolish.

As for the Packers, how exactly did they overperform? A game away from the Superbowl, not really weak at any position on the team in 2007. And Rodgers, it always goes back to he's going to struggle. Even though to this point in the time that he's actually played, he hasn't. Nobody seems to even consider the possibility that he's going to do well.

As for the pro bowl, Ken Hamlin deserved to go, Roy Williams did not. I made my opinion on that fairly clear, despite what Laron Landry "could be".

And I have the right to nitpick, you even said so. :)
The Jets will be an improved team, but between the oline needing to gel with Faneca, Gholston needing to adjust to the NFL, Favre needing to learn a new offense and pace needing to get comfortable in a standard 3-4, there's plenty of reason for the jets turn around to be a slower process, and likely we won't even see much of the improvement until the second half of the season. At which i think it'll be too little to late for them to catch teh bills and jags for the wildcard.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Of all the things about the Jets, I'm least worried about their OLine. I think it will be a strength for them. However, I'm not 100% sold on Thomas Jones and Leon Washington running behind them, plus Favre and Coles/Cotchery getting on the same page. That stuff takes some time. I think the Jets will finish strong, but 8-8 isn't bad at all...

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Is it possible that you overrate the Cowboys just a bit? It is possible that somewhere between my opinion and yours lies the truth. I just happen to think that this Cowboys team doesn't have the coaching and leadership to overcome an early setback.
A seemingly weak minded head coach is the only thing that bugs me. However, the coach-in-waiting Jason Garrett is nothing close to that. Since he was promoted to Assistant HC and is poised to take over, I would like to see him begin his role as a strong willed leader this year.

That being said, I feel like the loss to the Giants last year was one of the best things that could of happened to the Cowboys mentally. Everyone realizes you don't win anything on paper. They all seem to realize they got caught up enjoying the smell of their own ****.

I would like to believe that Zach Thomas, DeMarcus Ware, and Terrence Newman will keep the defense focused no matter what. I also think Jason Witten, A Tony Romo who is looking to prove to the world he can win in the post season, and a T.O. desperate for a superbowl ring should keep the offense on it's toes.

I just think we are worlds ahead of last year in terms of maturity and focus. I feel like the team has taken it upon themselves to get in more of a "Patriot" mindset, instead of trying to be spot light whores.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

That may be so, but other teams have gotten better. The Giants are supremely confident, the Saints added more offensive weaponry, the Redskins are playing well this preseason, the Eagles are coming off a strong close to the season, and the Packers really only lost Favre. The Cowboys made adjustments, but are you supremely confident that other contenders didn't also improve enough to knock the Cowboys off a few games? Are you sure that the team won't struggle if they start 1-3 and lose a few close ones? I'm not at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Potential for injuries were only a small part of why I am not so high on the Cowboys this year. My logic was based around your lame duck coach, who has a significant history of losing his team during tough years. Combine that with my belief that your team unity is not as strong as you think, and you could have a disappointing situation. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow. However, I think that the start and close of your schedule is much tougher than you think, and it won't be so easy to get where you think you're going.
What i'm curious to know is how you have so much knowledge of the team unity on a team that you probably don't even regularly follow (and by regularly i mean knowing what's going on internally as things happen). It's just a silly little comment to make, cause the only ones who really know how the team unity is, is the team. Where do you get the information to base these statements off of?