Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

ALD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Of all the things about the Jets, I'm least worried about their OLine. I think it will be a strength for them. However, I'm not 100% sold on Thomas Jones and Leon Washington running behind them, plus Favre and Coles/Cotchery getting on the same page. That stuff takes some time. I think the Jets will finish strong, but 8-8 isn't bad at all...
I disagree with you there. A really strong oline needs to gel, the players need to learn each others tendencies and really work as a unit, that takes time. And with a new RT and LG who are vets who are used to doing things one way it'll take some time and I don't see that oline really becoming a strength until around week 8.
ALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
What i'm curious to know is how you have so much knowledge of the team unity on a team that you probably don't even regularly follow (and by regularly i mean knowing what's going on internally as things happen). It's just a silly little comment to make, cause the only ones who really know how the team unity is, is the team. Where do you get the information to base these statements off of?
I'm just taking what I know about Wade Phillips as a HC and seeing how it fits with what happened with teh boys last season and postulating what would happen this seaosn if they struggle. If times get tough I don't think Phillips has a chance to rally that team, and if he's relying on Garrett to do that then why even keep Phillips aboard?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD View Post
I'm just taking what I know about Wade Phillips as a HC and seeing how it fits with what happened with teh boys last season and postulating what would happen this seaosn if they struggle. If times get tough I don't think Phillips has a chance to rally that team, and if he's relying on Garrett to do that then why even keep Phillips aboard?
I was mostly referring to the comment Bsaza made about "team unity". Which is a crock.

Everyone has their opinion on Wade Phillips, but ultimately, it'll come down to the players and whether they really want it. This is a veteran team, and they don't need some "rah-rah" guy pumping them up. Motivational coaches are sooo overrated.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
That may be so, but other teams have gotten better. The Giants are supremely confident, the Saints added more offensive weaponry, the Redskins are playing well this preseason, the Eagles are coming off a strong close to the season, and the Packers really only lost Favre. The Cowboys made adjustments, but are you supremely confident that other contenders didn't also improve enough to knock the Cowboys off a few games? Are you sure that the team won't struggle if they start 1-3 and lose a few close ones? I'm not at all.
I feel like retaining all of our strong starters who led the team to a 13-3 record last year and upgrading the weak starters (Zach Thomas over Ayodele, Felix over Julius, Jenkins/Pacman over Jacque Reeves and Nate Jones... etc.) can only equal a more talented team this year.

Combine the talent we have, with the mental toughness we lacked last year, and I believe we are the class of the NFC.

Honestly, I usually don't make statements like this, but I would be shocked if we didn't win the SB this year. Barring some sort of season ending injury to Romo or Owens. Even if they got nicked, I think we could manage for a few games. We just can't afford to have either one of them end up on IR or miss half the year.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I was mostly referring to the comment Bsaza made about "team unity". Which is a crock.

Everyone has their opinion on Wade Phillips, but ultimately, it'll come down to the players and whether they really want it. This is a veteran team, and they don't need some "rah-rah" guy pumping them up. Motivational coaches are sooo overrated.
Phillips doesn't even need be a rah-rah guy, coughlin sure as heck isn't, and neither is parcells or belicheck, but what those coaches do do is command the players respect so that when they speak the players really listen, I don't know if many of the cowboys players really buy into what phillips is saying, I know that if I had the physical abilities to play in the NFL and made that my life's work Phillips isn't the type of guy I'd follow unconditionally into battle, like I would a belicheck or a parcells.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
My big thing is that I feel like the players have taken it upon themselves this year to manage the team, keep up the intensity and focus, and not take anything for granted.

For instance, we played such horrible special teams in the preseason opener that certain guys have come out and said "If we keep playing like this, we will go 9-7 at best and miss the playoffs" Others have come out and acknowledged that they need to step their game up in order for this team to do what they set out to do.

For comparison, last year consisted of a bunch of guys saying "It's just preseason, who cares?" or saying things like "We're fine, we just need to tweak some things."

To me it seems like everyone has a much bigger sense of urgency. They're all coming into every practice with a business like approach. No more ********.

So as for right now, we look awesome and the mental focus is right where I want it. If we stray, then I'll buy into some of the stuff you guys are saying. I just wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Phillips doesn't even need be a rah-rah guy, coughlin sure as heck isn't, and neither is parcells or belicheck, but what those coaches do do is command the players respect so that when they speak the players really listen, I don't know if many of the cowboys players really buy into what phillips is saying, I know that if I had the physical abilities to play in the NFL and made that my life's work Phillips isn't the type of guy I'd follow unconditionally into battle, like I would a belicheck or a parcells.
If i compared my girlfriend to Heidi Klum, she wouldn't look that pretty anymore, right?

You're talking about cream of the crop, hall of fame coaches there. There's a handful of those in the history of the game, of course Phillips is gonna fall short.

I disagree when you say that players don't respect Phillips. Again, what are you basing these comments off of? Common perception? ESPN? What? Give me something, at least.

Players respect players, and follow their lead. Owens and Romo have said continously how good a coach Wade is. Whether that's by personality or X's and O's, it doesn't matter, they respect him. The veterans know what to do, they don't need someone lighting a fire under them. Again, this whole "Wade can't really the troops" crap is so damn overblown it's disgusting.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1. The Bills and Texans are teams on the rise.
Not sure what you mean, both teams have already been on the rise, unless you're talking about 10-plus wins being in tangible reach this upcoming season for both teams. Which is fairly optimistic if that is the case, although the Bills could get it done with the right breaks I think.

Quote:
2. The Cowboys will finish in the bottom half of the East and will be on the playoff bubble.
This might happen if one thing happens: TO breaks down this season earlier than he usually does.

That's what kills me about the Cowboys btw. TO is getting older and you can't even remember the last time he played a full healthy season, no wonder Romo declines in the playoffs when his only legit starting wide receiver is a worn down and injured TO by that time. And yet stupid Jerruh Jones decides this summer to pay something around 10M annually on average to three runningbacks (Barber, Felix, and Tashard) and gave 36-this-December Owens Moss/Fitzgerald money. So stupid, if Owens goes down this season or next, they are completely screwed because of the incredible drop-off in talent at wide receiver. Romo is a franchise quarterback, but he needs weapons and Witten can't carry the receiving core on his lonesome.

Quote:
3. The Packers and Jets will both finish at .500.
I include the team Favre wanted to go to, the Minnesota Vikings, in that Favre-related sentence.

Quote:
9. Coaching changes galore next offseason. Lane Kiffin will get fired pretty much no matter what. John Fox's team is already in shambles, and they need a new voice. Jim Zorn could be canned for no reason at all unless the Redskins win the NFC East. SF needs to clean house very badly. Lovie Smith is on the hot seat in Chicago. I think Marvin Lewis will get fired in Cinci (1 year too late). Between that and Mike Holmgren retiring, Wade Phillips being forced out for Garrett, and my prediction that Dungy will ride into the sunset with another title (see #10), we're looking at potentially 10 coaching changes going into 2009. Over/under is set at 6.5 changes total. I think I have to take the over...
Second "John Fox to be canned" prediction so far, after princefielder. Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if Fox and the GM managed to save their jobs with an okay season, something around 8-8. I don't think they win a wild card spot, so their best hope is that no team in the division does extremely well to keep them in the thick of it.

If Zorn is fired after one year, Daniel Snyder needs to jump off a cliff.

Quote:
10. Super Bowl Prediction: Colts over NFC East representative.
Fabulous! [/gum commercial] Cowboys would be the toughest match-up probably, not sure about the second-toughest though. I want to say the Giants, but they are poor at SS and have a rookie at FS, and their speed-based defense is neutralized by the speed-based Colts offense (see the 2006 match-up, I don't think the Giants got a single sack on Manning). Then again, the Colts match-up perfectly against the Eagles, speed-based nature coming into play again, as they've put 40-plus on Philly their last two games.

Would Dungy walk away if they win a second title? Marvin Harrison, who said two years ago he might play until he's 40? I'm not entirely sure, although obviously I hope that scenario happens so we can find out.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
My big thing is that I feel like the players have taken it upon themselves this year to manage the team, keep up the intensity and focus, and not take anything for granted.

For instance, we played such horrible special teams in the preseason opener that certain guys have come out and said "If we keep playing like this, we will go 9-7 at best and miss the playoffs" Others have come out and acknowledged that they need to step their game up in order for this team to do what they set out to do.

For comparison, last year consisted of a bunch of guys saying "It's just preseason, who cares?" or saying things like "We're fine, we just need to tweak some things."

To me it seems like everyone has a much bigger sense of urgency. They're all coming into every practice with a business like approach. No more ********.

So as for right now, we look awesome and the mental focus is right where I want it. If we stray, then I'll buy into some of the stuff you guys are saying. I just wouldn't count on it.
For your guys sake I hope so, although even then I still think your team leaders should respect the HC and they may be his lieutenants and people amongst the players, but in the organization the HC still has to be the man guy, as he's going to be the guy who bears the brunt of the criticism if ish goes wrong. I just can't see Phillips being that guy without the team leaders really building him up in the eyes of the other players to be that guy.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Not sure what you mean, both teams have already been on the rise, unless you're talking about 10-plus wins being in tangible reach this upcoming season for both teams. Which is fairly optimistic if that is the case, although the Bills could get it done with the right breaks I think.

This might happen if one thing happens: TO breaks down this season earlier than he usually does.

That's what kills me about the Cowboys btw. TO is getting older and you can't even remember the last time he played a full healthy season, no wonder Romo declines in the playoffs when his only legit starting wide receiver is a worn down and injured TO by that time. And yet stupid Jerruh Jones decides this summer to pay something around 10M annually on average to three runningbacks (Barber, Felix, and Tashard) and gave 36-this-December Owens Moss/Fitzgerald money. So stupid, if Owens goes down this season or next, they are completely screwed because of the incredible drop-off in talent at wide receiver. Romo is a franchise quarterback, but he needs weapons and Witten can't carry the receiving core on his lonesome.

I include the team Favre wanted to go to, the Minnesota Vikings, in that Favre-related sentence.

Second "John Fox to be canned" prediction so far, after princefielder. Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if Fox and the GM managed to save their jobs with an okay season, something around 8-8. I don't think they win a wild card spot, so their best hope is that no team in the division does extremely well to keep them in the thick of it.

If Zorn is fired after one year, Daniel Snyder needs to jump off a cliff.

Fabulous! [/gum commercial] Cowboys would be the toughest match-up probably, not sure about the second-toughest though. I want to say the Giants, but they are poor at SS and have a rookie at FS, and their speed-based defense is neutralized by the speed-based Colts offense (see the 2006 match-up, I don't think the Giants got a single sack on Manning). Then again, the Colts match-up perfectly against the Eagles, speed-based nature coming into play again, as they've put 40-plus on Philly their last two games.

Would Dungy walk away if they win a second title? Marvin Harrison, who said two years ago he might play until he's 40? I'm not entirely sure, although obviously I hope that scenario happens so we can find out.

My whole thing with T.O.'s injuries is that at least they aren't Donte Stallworth-like. Meaning, Owens isn't the guy who pulls a hammy or tweaks his groin and sits out for a few weeks. All of his injuries just come from bad luck. Roy Williams broke his leg in Philly, he had broken bones in his hand that needed screws, and he played all of last season until the Carolina game when he got his leg twisted in a way that legs aren't supposed to twist. To his credit, he has always fought hard to come back from injury and perform at a high level.

I don't like his injuries, but I think they can be viewed as really bad luck instead of these guys who always have something.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Not saying the Giants would beat the Colts, because they would certainly be underdogs but that game in 2006, Tim Lewis was the DC. Completely different defense than what we have now. Not a good thing to point to help prove a point. This defense attacks 100x more than we did back in 2006.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
My whole thing with T.O.'s injuries is that at least they aren't Donte Stallworth-like. Meaning, Owens isn't the guy who pulls a hammy or tweaks his groin and sits out for a few weeks. All of his injuries just come from bad luck. Roy Williams broke his leg in Philly, he had broken bones in his hand that needed screws, and he played all of last season until the Carolina game when he got his leg twisted in a way that legs aren't supposed to twist. To his credit, he has always fought hard to come back from injury and perform at a high level.

I don't like his injuries, but I think they can be viewed as really bad luck instead of these guys who always have something.
I wouldn't count on a TO injury either. He is phenominal shape. However he is one player the Cowboys can't afford to lose. And Romo of course, but most teams in the NFL can't afford to lose their QB.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marvin Harrison had arm and wrist injuries all throughout the 2006 season and the postseason run, but at least he didn't miss a game. (Granted, he shouldn't have played against the Chargers because he wasn't healthy enough to.)

Terrell Owens hasn't played a 16-game season since 2001. He caught 2 catches for 26 yards against Seattle in the '06 playoffs, and 4 catches for 49 yards and a touchdown against the Giants in the '07 playoffs. He's a Hall of Fame player who can do much more than that when healthy, we've seen it.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cowboys: I mentioned injuries as a possibility, but that isn't the crux of my argument. I was more about the weakness at safety, my perception that they lack team unity, the fact that Phillips is a lame duck coach, plus the crush of expectations and the fact that they won't sneak up on anyone. The Phillips situation is significant. He didn't have Garrett as the coach in waiting last year. He almost lost his job after the playoffs and a 13-3 season. That is a big deal. Phillips has a long history of losing teams, and I don't get the feeling that his players will kill themselves for him. Injuries are a possibility with any aging player, and the Cowboys OLine is older than it is younger. I think the Boys lack a little OLine depth, which is why I think an injury there will be a big deal.

Point by point:

The safeties are the same starters that were there last year when we won 13 games, so by bringing the same guys back we get worse? You do realize by bringing in man cover corners like Mike Jenkins, Adam Jones, along with the two we have makes a safeties job easier right? Also if anything SS is a weak spot, not our "safeties" as Hamlin is one of the best safeties in the game, Roy is going to be taken out in nickel and dime formations this year because of the depth at corner, so again not buying that argument.

Lack of team unity? Again this is the exact same team returning, whats so hard to understand about that? How does your team unity get worse from returning the core of your team? It's not like we lost an emotional leader ala Strahan, if anything we improved the unity by signing Zach Thomas, no way you can sell me on our team chemistry being worse off, thats probably the furthest thing from the truth and there is nothing at all to back that.

Not sneaking up on anyone, when is the last time the Cowboys snuck up on anyone? It surely wasn't last year, and frankly I can't remember the last time we did, not sure its possible for the Cowboys to "sneak" up on anyone as much attention as they get, with all the star players on their team.

If you want to believe Wade almost lost his job, and that he is worried about Garrett so much that we don't make the playoffs then so be it, I'm not one to tell somebody their opinion is wrong, but I don't buy the other reasons at all, sounds more like Cowboy bias then anything, either love em or hate em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Not saying the Giants would beat the Colts, because they would certainly be underdogs but that game in 2006, Tim Lewis was the DC. Completely different defense than what we have now. Not a good thing to point to help prove a point. This defense attacks 100x more than we did back in 2006.
Not only do we attack more but our corners can actually see the receivers they're supposed to be covering unlike the Lewis strategy of hide around your own goalline and hope the receivers get close enough to the corners before they get the ball for the corners to even have a chance.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing to point out. While everyone seems to be skeptical of Wade...Dallas brought in quite a few new coaches this offseason...and had they landed Dom Capers we could be talking about one of the best coaching staffs to be assembled.

So this isn't a Wade or bust team imo....we have guys like
Garrett
Sherman manning the WR's
Skip Peete teaching the young guns at RB
Houck manning the OL

The on the defensive side of the ball we have
Brian Stewart who is a puppet imo...but Campers refused to come take his job from him....which is really too bad.
Todd Grantham on the DL...which has been dominate so far in TC
Campo in the secondary....who better?
Reggie Herring and Dat Nguyen working with the LBs...probably a slight downgrade from Paul last year.

Bottomline is...the cowboys have a coaching staff that gets along...we don't have any parcells peices hanging around....everything is cleaned up and this team is set to move forward with Wade as the Head Coach....I could see if this team had weak spots...but right now about the only coach who seems to be having problems is Bruce Reed our special teams coach....and people are begging for him to get the boot...for some unknown reason he wasn't exchanged out this offseason and I think it will show.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree with you there. A really strong oline needs to gel, the players need to learn each others tendencies and really work as a unit, that takes time. And with a new RT and LG who are vets who are used to doing things one way it'll take some time and I don't see that oline really becoming a strength until around week 8.
I'm not sold on Woody being an NFL caliber RT, he was a solid center (1 pro bowl i believe), and a decent guard, but tackle is very different from those.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Even with a great staff if the Head guy doesn't respect there's going to be some division in the team, especially with Garrett waiting to take Wade's job.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:31 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
I'm not sold on Woody being an NFL caliber RT, he was a solid center (1 pro bowl i believe), and a decent guard, but tackle is very different from those.
As I've said time and again the Jets will improve, and at the end of this seaosn will be miles ahead of the team that ended last season, but that doesn't mean they'll start off as a far superior team.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
This doesn't mean much to me, honestly. The Giants' defensive ends won't get to Manning because he gets rid of the ball and the athletic offensive line of the Colts is built to pass protect him long enough to do that. Should the Giants bring extra rushers by blitzing, that just leaves more open field for a Colts' receiver to find an open zone, especially if one of the remaining two linebackers in coverage is liability Antonio Pierce. The Colts have hardly seen any blitzing since the 2004 season for that reason.

Aaron Ross would shut down a 36-year-old Marvin Harrison by playing physical, but he'd just get *****-slapped by either quick route-runner in Reggie Wayne or Anthony Gonzalez like Wes Welker did to him in SB XLII. Speed is the issue with the Giants secondary, not just the corners but the safeties won't be fast enough either because of either age (Sammy Knight), talent, or inexperience (Kenny Phillips). The Colts are built on speed, it's power that gives them trouble and the Giants aren't fielding one of the league's best 3-4 defenses like the Patriots, Steelers, and Chargers of the last few years. The best chance a 4-3 defense has against the Colts is if it has at least one mammoth defensive tackle up front to stop the run, like Henderson/Stroud of the Jags' defensive peak and Haynesworth for the Titans now, and the Giants don't have that defensive tackle.

And unfortunately for Plaxico, there's no Jason David and Nick Harper to abuse now.

Last edited by Geo : 08-13-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
This doesn't mean much to me, honestly. The Giants' defensive ends won't get to Manning because he gets rid of the ball and the athletic offensive line of the Colts is built to pass protect him long enough to do that. Should the Giants bring extra rushers by blitzing, that just leaves more open field for a Colts' receiver to find an open zone, especially if one of the remaining two linebackers in coverage is liability Antonio Pierce. The Colts have hardly seen any blitzing since the 2004 season for that reason.

Aaron Ross would shut down a 36-year-old Marvin Harrison by playing physical, but he'd just get *****-slapped by either quick route-runner in Reggie Wayne or Anthony Gonzalez like Wes Welker did to him in SB XLII. Speed is the issue with the Giants secondary, not just the corners but the safeties won't be fast enough either because of either age (Sammy Knight), talent, or inexperience (Kenny Phillips). The Colts are built on speed, it's power that gives them trouble and the Giants aren't fielding one of the league's best 3-4 defenses like the Patriots, Steelers, and Chargers of the last few years. The best chance a 4-3 defense has against the Colts is if it has at least one mammoth defensive tackle up front to stop the run, like Henderson/Stroud of the Jags' defensive peak and Haynesworth for the Titans now, and the Giants don't have that defensive tackle.

And unfortunately for Plaxico, there's no Jason David and Nick Harper to abuse now.
I'm sorry but when you start off your post with something that ignorant how can someone take you seriously? You're talking about a horrible defensive co-ordinator who left his press corners atleast 10 yards off the ball at all times and called a blitz every other game versus one of the best young co-ordinators who's defense is built around press coverage and bringing heat. You just can't even compare the 2008 giants defense to the 2006 giants defense, and if you do it's do to ignorance is simply bad judgement.

Now you may think that our pass rush won't get to peyton and that's fine, our pass rush wasn't supposed to get to Brady either, but to say that the change from tim lewis to spags doesn't mean anything to you is just foolish.

Edit: You're insinuation that our defense doesn't have power and that Plax wouldn't be effective simply because Jason David is no longer on your team are also laughable. We won the superbowl by being physical and aggressive, and plax roasted one of the better corners in the league on one leg in the NFC title game.

Last edited by ALD : 08-13-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Take from what you will, I really don't care. The only Giants fans whose opinions I respect are BBD and Manning+Shockey. And scottyboy, but that goes without saying.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

metsox, did you really say beat up on lesser teams like the Giants? and you said you "destroyed" us last year? yea you beat us kinda bad(albeit, they were both what, 2 score games?) but losing in the playoffs to us is hardly "destroying"

do people actually forget the Giants lost the Super Bowl? and that they had this same hate last year? like fo' realz? Yea we lost Shockey, remember that whole "tiki's gone, giants r ****** lolz" thing last year? yea me too...

our only key loss is Strahan. period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
ALD
Rookie

Quote:
Take from what you will, I really don't care. The only Giants fans whose opinions I respect are BBD and Manning+Shockey. And scottyboy, but that goes without saying.
Man you're really good at this supporting your opinion thing. You make a ludicrous statement and then follow it up with the remarkably childish "well I don't care about your opinion" Bravo you've really made a great point. But oh well, I don't have the rep to be taken seriously by someone as awesome and respected as you...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
YAY!

but now I've gotta go back and read this whole debate and see who's right: n00b Giants fan(that 3 letters guy, not juggy of course) or awesome Geo... ****, where's my loyalty at? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote