Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
All day, erry day. Especially for Newcastle games.
I've been on a Founders All Day IPA kick, coincidentally.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Also at Duane Reade (sixers only)! Suck it, njx!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am 100% in agreement with Rob and Brent as usual. IPA beats all.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hand's down go to beer. Love the drinkability. Have a feeling I'm really going to like Great Divides Lasso when it's released.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I am 100% in agreement with Rob and Brent as usual. IPA beats all.
A great sour beats all, but for everyday drinking year-round, IPA is where it's at.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
Hand's down go to beer. Love the drinkability. Have a feeling I'm really going to like Great Divides Lasso when it's released.
I like that it isn't 7% ABV or more like so many IPAs.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never understood the love for IPA's. The Stone Enjoy By 12.13.13 has been my favorite IPA but I'd much rather take a good stout, porter, or Oktoberfest over an IPA any day of the week. I'd much rather a flavorful beer than one that would shred my palate.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always prefer balance in my beers. I've found myself liking browns more and more it is the easiest to screw up but a really good brown is fantastic.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I always prefer balance in my beers. I've found myself liking browns more and more it is the easiest to screw up but a really good brown is fantastic.
I also have been into browns lately. I really like how mellow and balanced they are. A great IPA can't be beat, but a great brown is good for all situations.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Browns are the hardest style to screw up, actually. Browns, Ambers, and Reds are the easiest beers to brew and the hardest to **** up, by far.

They usually aren't good because they're bland. That's just the style. There are some good ones, though.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread is way too IPA centered, as much as I like them. Someone recommend some good browns, I haven't really liked the ones that I've had but I want to broaden my horizons.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
malt/sweet beer is terrible. it's completely overwhelming. the crispness of a good west coast ipa complements food far better, and makes for a beer i can drink more than 1/2 of.

that said, everyone has their own taste. if all you taste is pine trees, even on something well balanced like a racer 5, then i'd stick to malty stuff. *shrug*
your thoughts on malt/sweet beers are my thoughts on most IPAs. I don't want something as sweet as a lambic. What I like is roasted flavors and if their balanced well with malt sweetness then the better.

Also, I haven't had Racer 5 yet. I'm just starting to test to the IPA waters with a more open mind and plan to try it shortly.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Browns are the hardest style to screw up, actually. Browns, Ambers, and Reds are the easiest beers to brew and the hardest to **** up, by far.

They usually aren't good because they're bland. That's just the style. There are some good ones, though.
Ha I guess to me being too bland would be ******* it up.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those of you who like sours, a local brewery called Jester King specializes in them. Try one out if you can get your hands on some.

They have a sour beer fest every 6 months or so, bringing in lots of sour beers from around the world, as well as their own, including their in progress experiments.

I'm an Ipa guy, but the sour fest is fun.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I went to a small, Cajun town today in SW Louisiana called Broussard for Parish Brewing's release of Grand Reserve, a Cellared Annual Ale (barleywine).

I'm cracking this open tonight. While there I also sampled their SouthCoast amber twice - one was infused with juniper berries and Pacifica hops and the other was infused with Black Currant and Galaxy hops. The former was better than the latter but both were quite good.

All in all, it was a cool experience. I highly recommend, if no one has already, to go to their local brewery for a visit.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 12-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
This thread is way too IPA centered, as much as I like them. Someone recommend some good browns, I haven't really liked the ones that I've had but I want to broaden my horizons.
Rogue makes a really really good Hazlenut Brown nectar that is where I would start.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I tried the Parish Grand Reserve and was blown away. It's quite deserving of the spot for best beer brewed in Louisiana.

Also tried these yesterday.

Covington Anonymous IPA - Pretty good for an IPA

Goose Island Gillian - Much like a sour. Effervescent, excellent aroma

Cold Mountain Winter Ale - Delicious, chocolatey taste

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
For those of you who like sours, a local brewery called Jester King specializes in them. Try one out if you can get your hands on some.

They have a sour beer fest every 6 months or so, bringing in lots of sour beers from around the world, as well as their own, including their in progress experiments.

I'm an Ipa guy, but the sour fest is fun.
Thanks for the heads up. A buddy and I are going to make a trip up there soon to do some tasting. They seem to have a good selection of beers. Wonder why I haven't seen their stuff in the stores.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Holiday party with beer friends last night.

Ended up having (among many others):
Bourbon County Rare
Bourbon County Vanilla ('10)
Bourbon County Cherry Rye
Bourbon County Barleywine
King Henry
Hanssens Oud Kriek ('10)
The Bruery Oud Tart ('09)
Cascade Pumpkin Smash ('11)
New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb
Nebraska Sexy Betty
Bell's Black Note
Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. A buddy and I are going to make a trip up there soon to do some tasting. They seem to have a good selection of beers. Wonder why I haven't seen their stuff in the stores.
Check their website for hours and events.

They are only open to the public on Saturday, I believe.

Also, they have a fantastic wood fired pizza place on site. It's awesome. Lots of beer there too.

Jester King is all over the grocery stores and liquor stores by me.

When you go out to Jester King, try to hit Thirsty Planet brewing as well. Same general area.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Bought a sixer of Titan IPA and this:

Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
goose island is ordinarily too sweet or bland for me. curious if they know how to do a pale.
I think it's good. Not as hoppy as I would like, but I dig it. I like a lot of Goose Island brew, though.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
eh, i've found a lot of it is just... midwestern and boring. i feel the same way about a lot of wisconsin and michigan beer.
I need to learn of other good Chicago-based breweries. Especially if my plan is to move there.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had a few different Goose Island beers and I liked none of them. It's the New Belgium of Chicago.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
tell me when you find one, i've had piss poor luck. the burger places also suck, unfortunately.
You didn't like Kuma's Korner, Owen and the Engine, or Butcher and the Burger? Each of those have great, great burgers. Although it's a bummer that Kuma's doesn't carry waffle fries anymore. People rave about Au Cheval, Bad Apple, and Nightwood as well, but I haven't been to those places yet.

I think Chicago lacks a great brewer, but I love the Bourbon County Stouts from Goose Island, Daisy Cutter from Half Acre, and the Eugene Porter from Revolution.

Anyways, Brent if you move to Chicago you should hit up Map Room sometime early as it is one of my favorite Beer bars in the city. It's cash only though. The Beer Temple is supposed to be good, but I have only gone when I had been drinking all day so the memory is hazy.

Revolution has my favorite tap room in the city. People like Slice, but I think it has bad beer and okay pizza that reminds me too much of California Pizza Kitchen.

njx if you want a hop heavy beer, which isn't a big hop town, you should probably get the Irie IPA from Tighthead. It is tough to find though because the brewery is still on the smaller side.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote