Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Porter to be Cut?

It seems every source has the Steelers cutting Porter before tuesday, when his bonus is due.

I really hope these reports are true. I don't want to have to deal with Porter holding out in the offseason and I think Harrison could have the same impact as Porter last year. Plus it pushes the issue at linebacker so we will have to address that in the earlier rounds of the draft.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we don't cut him and he holds out we could Deion Branch his ass and actually get something for him.

I agree with you Harrison could have the same production.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too Late..

Joey Porter is cut.

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
The Steelers released linebacker Joey Porter today.

The Steelers today released linebacker Joey Porter, their best overall defensive player in the 21st century whose play helped win them a Super Bowl 13 months ago.

Porter was due a $1 million roster bonus by Tuesday and $4 million in salary in the final year of his contract. That, coupled with the fact he was a potential contract holdout this year, prompted the Steelers to release him.

Porter has been their starting right outside linebacker since 2000, the year after they drafted him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
If we don't cut him and he holds out we could Deion Branch his ass and actually get something for him.

I agree with you Harrison could have the same production.
I love Harrison, but he wears down more easily and is more suited to coverage. I think adding a guy Like Tully Banta-Cain or Antwan Peek and Drafting a DE/OLB this year and 1 Early next year will give us a solid group.

2007: Anthony Spencer, Jacob Ford (Possibly Brian Smith)
2008: Tommy Blake, Keith Rivers, Brian Cushing(Personal Fav), Quentin Groves.

Tommy Blake or Cushing next year.. with a Dominant DT like Andre Fluellen in the 2nd round.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its funny cause several months ago people were saying how we would never cut Porter cause he was such a leader and all that jazz. Now he's gone and we dont have to worry about a Deion Branch situation during training camp. It's time to make way for the future.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
Its funny cause several months ago people were saying how we would never cut Porter cause he was such a leader and all that jazz. Now he's gone and we dont have to worry about a Deion Branch situation during training camp. It's time to make way for the future.
Yea if I had a dime for everytime someone criticized my opinion of cutting him....and they did. Same with Haynes.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Yea if I had a dime for everytime someone criticized my opinion of cutting him....and they did. Same with Haynes.
Im glad both are gone. Porter has declined and I never really liked Haynes, other than making fun of him. I thought Najeh did a much better job on 3rd downs than Haynes this past year. I appreciate what both did for our team, but I dont think they are essential for our success. My best wishes to both of them.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those of you doubting Harrison's ability to takeover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MwpFrIo_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAXPu0v8x4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am7QJ0Zoto

Theres another hit that I couldn't find on a Jaguar.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
For those of you doubting Harrison's ability to takeover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MwpFrIo_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAXPu0v8x4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am7QJ0Zoto

Theres another hit that I couldn't find on a Jaguar.
I have no doubt he'd be as solid in coverage and tackling. But I haven't seen him ever be a threat in the pass rush, and he wore down fast in the few games he went in Full time. Although, he was the team leader the 3 times he started for Porter.

I still want to piss my pants in the Chad Johnson slam when the guy is like.. "Now you can wrap him up and take him to the ground... but thats what we call ... excessive.".. hee yeahhhh.

OH!, It's not my avatar anymore... GOTTA FIND IT!.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Gotta love being a browns fan right now, were getting better and your getting worse.

Going to a 4-3 might really hurt players like Hampton and Palamalu, because it might really exspose there weaknesses.

Also loosing a handful of some of the best NFL coaches hurts.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
Gotta love being a browns fan right now, were getting better and your getting worse.

Going to a 4-3 might really hurt players like Hampton and Palamalu, because it might really exspose there weaknesses.

... We're not going to the 4-3? And... The last time we played you.. and Porter was gone.. I believe it was a 24-10 win in our favor...

And how exactly are the browns getting better? They have no run game, their only good lineman, broke his leg on purpose so he didn't have to play, then found he was getting better, so he got himself a staph infection.

Players like Polamalu and Hampton really don't have weaknesses. How would going to a 4-3 expose Hampton? Honestly, thats just stupid. He's a run plugger plain and simple, and a damn good one. He might even be more dominant in a 4-3. As for Polamalu.. I can't see a 4-3 affecting him.

As for LOSING a handful of NFL Coaches, they really underachieved. Steeltown is going through changes.. But hey, atleast we're not the team always in the basement picking in the top 15 and not getting anywhere, that hurts more. Hell I'll take 2 bad years. It's certainly better than... almost a lifetime for the browns...

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post

dont post here again unless you know what you are talking about

id explain WHY you are wrong but stiller already did that
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bengals and cardinals are the front runners to land porter

i want him to goto cincy so we play him twice a year 8)
Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
bengals and cardinals are the front runners to land porter

i want him to goto cincy so we play him twice a year 8)

I'm thinking Balty or Cleveland.. could you imagine the disention in the lockerroom with Porter/Lewis or Porter/Winslow. That would be amusing. he'd come back at Vets minimum just to punk em.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

PFT says Porter and his agent wern't expecting him to get cut, in fact they thought he was getting a raise.

Thats exactlly why Porter needed cut. He wanted more money even after a down year.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I'm thinking Balty or Cleveland.. could you imagine the disention in the lockerroom with Porter/Lewis or Porter/Winslow. That would be amusing. he'd come back at Vets minimum just to punk em.

Can you imagine Porter in stripes?

I personally hope he goes as far away as possible. San Fran sounds good.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

"... We're not going to the 4-3? And... The last time we played you.. and Porter was gone.. I believe it was a 24-10 win in our favor...

And how exactly are the browns getting better? They have no run game, their only good lineman, broke his leg on purpose so he didn't have to play, then found he was getting better, so he got himself a staph infection.

Players like Polamalu and Hampton really don't have weaknesses. How would going to a 4-3 expose Hampton? Honestly, thats just stupid. He's a run plugger plain and simple, and a damn good one. He might even be more dominant in a 4-3. As for Polamalu.. I can't see a 4-3 affecting him. "

How are the Browns getting better? We have one of the best drafting Gm's in the NFL, just look what he did for the Ravens. We are signing Steinbach and Clements. Fraley was resigned.

You said we dont have a run game? Were 98% going to draft Adrian Peterson, who is a better RB than what the Steelers will have.

We dont have an OL? bentley will be back in 2008 like you mentioned, but our LT Kevin Shaffer only gave up 3.5 sacks last year and was great in the run game, something your tackles didnt do great at last year.

Palamalu is a gambler, and is great in the run because Lambeau is a genious at making a player successful in a given situation. hampton can only stop the run, and in a 4-3 (even though you havent changed yet), he will get exsposed because he cant rush the passer.

You guys are in really bad moods, hmmm I would be to if my old coach didnt want the team any more, Rothlesburger lead the NFL in INt's, Porter is gone and the best OL coach in the league followed your Ocordinator. Heck even Burress and Randle El complained about the team when they left.

Sucks to be a steelr fan. Doesnt suck right now if your a browns fan.

The heart of your team (jerome bettis) retired and took the team with him, deal with it.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hold a tick....

Wait I'll actually dignify that with a response.

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 03-01-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

HAHAHAHAHA

Did he really say it sucks to be a Steelers fan and it is great to be a Browns fan?

Lets go over you post

First of all you are assuming you are signing Steinbach and Clements from PFT reports. There is nothing even close to confirmed.

2nd, there is no way you can say an unproven rookie is better than Parker who has had back to back 1000+ seasons and went to the probowl.

Next, Bentley won't be there this year so he's out of the picture. Fraley isn't anything special. The only bright spot of the line is Schaffer.

Both DTs don't have to be pass rushers in a 4-3. Plus, Hampton has very good speed and mobility for a guy his size. Teams will still ahve to double team him with a C and a G in a 4-3.

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 03-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5 super bowl wins

0 super bowl wins

hey they should talk to us when they actually make it to the big game instead of allowin john elway come back on them liek that.

pitty franchise
Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

"... We're not going to the 4-3? And... The last time we played you.. and Porter was gone.. I believe it was a 24-10 win in our favor...

Players like Polamalu and Hampton really don't have weaknesses. How would going to a 4-3 expose Hampton? Honestly, thats just stupid. He's a run plugger plain and simple, and a damn good one. He might even be more dominant in a 4-3. As for Polamalu.. I can't see a 4-3 affecting him. "

How are the Browns getting better? We have one of the best drafting Gm's in the NFL, just look what he did for the Ravens. We are signing Steinbach and Clements. Fraley was resigned.

Oi.. 1) You haven't signed Steinbach or Clements yet. We have a solid Drafting GM as well. I'm pretty sure Savage was Newsomes backup. As in, Newsome made the decisions, therefore negating Savages effect on the Ravens. You also signed Mr. Amazing LeCharles Bentley last year. Just because you sign the player doesn't mean crap. LeCharles played how much ball for you guys again?

You said we dont have a run game? Were 98% going to draft Adrian Peterson, who is a better RB than what the Steelers will have.

You think Savage will draft Peterson, you do not know. If he does, Doesn't mean a thing as well. And your comparing an unproven rookie to a Pro-Bowl Running back? I don't care if you think Peterson is bust proof. Willie Parker just came off a great season where the line played Horribly. AP or not, Willie Parker played his ass off and until AP Shows me he can do better, I'll reserve my judgment on that as well.

We dont have an OL? bentley will be back in 2008 like you mentioned, but our LT Kevin Shaffer only gave up 3.5 sacks last year and was great in the run game, something your tackles didnt do great at last year.

Are you serious? We had a bad year.. Oh Crikey. In one of our worst years we end up 8-8. The sad thing is that is a disappointing season to Steelers fans, 8-8 is a prayer for Browns fans.

Palamalu is a gambler, and is great in the run because Lambeau is a genious at making a player successful in a given situation. hampton can only stop the run, and in a 4-3 (even though you havent changed yet), he will get exsposed because he cant rush the passer.

Polamalu is a gambler, but he's also very intelligent and guesses right a lot. LeBeau (Lambeau is a field), is a genius, and He puts great players in good situations to succeed. As for Hampton, I have to disagree. If you had any understanding of the Tampa2, you would realize there is 2 tackles on the defensive line, a Nose Tackle and an Under Tackle. The Undertackle is your penetrator/pass rusher, the NT, is the same damn thing Casey is doing well now. You don't think he'd be doing just as good or better with another big Hoss beside him? You really must not understand football. You put a guy like Alan Branch, Justin Harrell Next to Hampton in a 4-3 and you're Golden. In a normal 4-3 the Tackles are to collapse the pocket and stuff the run game, not necesarily rush the passer, thats the defensive Ends job. I know it can be complicated. In the Tampa 2, you rely on smaller faster players, but Hampton will be fine.

Now thats when and IF we go to the "Tomlin2" as it is right now, we're a 3-4 team and we scouted talent as a 3-4 team. So, sorry your hopes of dominance aren't as well thought out as you had previously entertained.

You guys are in really bad moods, hmmm I would be to if my old coach didnt want the team any more, Rothlesburger lead the NFL in INt's, Porter is gone and the best OL coach in the league followed your Ocordinator. Heck even Burress and Randle El complained about the team when they left.

Do you really believe all the crap you say? I'm in a bad mood because a browns fan that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground is telling me stuff about my team which he doesn't have the first clue to. The Old coach wanted a lot of Money, Hell 90% of steelers fans didn't want him back after this past season. Roethlisberger led the league in INT's after being Rookie of the year, and having 2 seasons with a top 5 (#5 and #3) in QB efficiency, give me a call when your QB does something worthwhile. Atleast when Roethlisberger wrecked his bike, he didn't whine, atleast he played that season. He didn't keep pussying out like.. you know a certain TE. Porter wanted too much money for no production, See it's business decisions like that that keep us at the top of the AFC north most years and you guys at the bottom. Best OL Coach in the league? I liked Grimm, but thinking about it, the guy never developed talent. I think he's quite overrated. Show me one solid prospect he really developed. You could say Faneca, but he was a first rounder. Our O-Coordinator left, Good point. Would you want a guy that could have been your coach on your new coachs' staff? Can you say adversity? Burress was a punk and lazy, could be a great WR, but never plays up to it. And I would've known if Randel El would've badmouthed this organization. Which... he didn't. So again, Moot points.

Sucks to be a steelr fan. Doesnt suck right now if your a browns fan.

Since I don't know what a steelr is, I guess it could, It's actually a really exciting time to be a STEELER fan, the last time we ran a cover 2 defense, the league had to change rules because we were impossible to beat, and we won 4 superbowls. Thats pretty funny though, I don't think theres ever a time that it doesn't suck to be a browns fan.

The heart of your team (jerome bettis) retired and took the team with him, deal with it.

And your team leader is... Wait, have you guys ever had a team leader? Frankly yes, it's hard losing a Hall of Fame running back. But in all honesty having our running back go to the pro-bowl in a season were our oline blocking was non-existant, that excites me. I have dealt with Bettis' retirement, I wouldn't say he took the team with him. He's doing pretty well in detroit and Steelers are still in Pittsburgh. We had a rough offseason with Bens accident and appendectomy.. Injuries to key veterans. Hell we even beat you guys with our top 2 WR's out. Porter, Ward and Wilson all injured and We STILL won. Wait a Tick... didn't our RB just run like 215 yards on you guys? You think that Adrian Peterson is going to run 200+ yards on us? Get a life Browns fan. Unless our team dies in a plane wreck, there's no way we're going to be worse than you.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

get em stiller!

but seriously you make me laugh joe, you are as smart as a stump
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
get em stiller!

but seriously you make me laugh joe, you are as smart as a stump
Read the whole "Porter has been Cut" thread in the NFL section.

It's a hoot.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
i.want.troys.hair
Rookie

i.want.troys.hair hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

preach it Stiller...mmhmmm!

Thanks to Jakey for the sweet sig
i.want.troys.hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

[quote=Mr. Stiller
Are you serious? We had a bad year.. Oh Crikey. In one of our worst years we end up 8-8. The sad thing is that is a disappointing season to Steelers fans, 8-8 is a prayer for Browns fans.[/QUOTE]

Ha
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote