Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Thunderstruck

John Taylor
Scout.com

It’s a foregone conclusion that Nate Clements will become a very, very rich young man in the next 72 hours.

Also, it’s widely assumed that the Browns will be at or near the front of the Clements’ line starting at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

And, according to sources on both sides of the equation, both parties are willing to do whatever it takes to turn that assumption into a reality.

A source close to Clements tells The OBR that Cleveland is “far and away” the destination preferred by the sixth-year corner.

“If the money’s right, and close to anything anybody else offers, he’ll be coming home,” the source said of the Shaker Heights native.

For their part, a Browns source says that Clements is “the (LeCharles) Bentley of our 2007 free-agent class.” In other words, he has become the club’s top target once the bell tolls on free agency.
Of course, the two sides are forbidden by NFL rules (wink wink, nudge nudge) from speaking before the start of free agency, but that hasn’t stopped feelers from being put out and league insiders to get a feel for the direction the Clements recruiting will take.

One NFL front office source tells The OBR that he will be “utterly amazed” if the Browns don’t break the bank for Clements. “They know (Gary) Baxter won’t be back. And how good would (Leigh) Bodden look with Clements on the other side of the field? You’d take a very good player (Bodden) and turn him into a Pro Bowl-level type talent.”

“Everyone around the league is waiting for the Browns to set the bar (on Clements’ contract).”

If indeed the Browns do make a run at Clements—which is as close to an absolute certainty as you can get—they could find the Tennessee Titans standing in the way of a signing. Word around the league is that the Titans are seriously considering making a run at the ex-Ohio State corner.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be huge for the Browns, in my opinion. It would give them one of the top cornerback tandems in the NFL. Hopefully, Clements goes home and that franchise gets something to look forward to. Absolutely great fans that deserve a winner.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

He's a fool if he goes there. He'll probably end up just like LeCharles... having a career that could possibly be over.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
He's a fool if he goes there. He'll probably end up just like LeCharles... having a career that could possibly be over.

Or like Gary Baxter.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Thunderstruck

Eh, it's his hometown team. He grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio State, and probably loved the Browns. I would be incredibly happy to see Clements land in that type of situation, but maybe I am the only one.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

He'll go to a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
He'll go to a winner.
Money talks. He'll go to whoever offers him the most dough.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clements will be grossly overpaid. I would be worried he reverts to his '05 complacency, where he wasn't good at all. He bounced back in '06, in a contract year, that always concerns me.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Eh, it's his hometown team. He grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio State, and probably loved the Browns.
LeCharles Bentley #2?

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Clements will be grossly overpaid. I would be worried he reverts to his '05 complacency, where he wasn't good at all. He bounced back in '06, in a contract year, that always concerns me.
I'm worried about the same thing too. I don't think he's as good as people give him credit for especially since most players overperform in a contract year in order to get those extra dollars.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
2005 was a contract year also, he was franchised last year.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently he was on a Houston related talk show and said that he'd love to play in Houston as well as long as the money was right, but what FA doesnt say that??? I also heard that he lives in the Houston area in the offseason and is building a home there.....anyone think hes got a chance to be a Texan?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings4ever View Post
2005 was a contract year also, he was franchised last year.
Yes it was technically a 'contract year,' but he knew he was going to be franchised. In '06, he knew that the team couldn't franchise him, thus it was time for him to make the big bucks.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
Apparently he was on a Houston related talk show and said that he'd love to play in Houston as well as long as the money was right, but what FA doesnt say that??? I also heard that he lives in the Houston area in the offseason and is building a home there.....anyone think hes got a chance to be a Texan?
If they pay him Champ Bailey money, sure. Actually, if I am Houston, having two talented cover corners is probably the best chance to contain the Colts.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can hope not. I like seeing the Browns at the bottom of the league every year.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
He'll go to a winner.
ya really? who the hell would wanna go to the browns? they r going nowhere- even if they have money to pour @ him i dont see him going there

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugegmenfan View Post
ya really? who the hell would wanna go to the browns? they r going nowhere- even if they have money to pour @ him i dont see him going there
Yeah because the Giants are so great.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
j_Tress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Eh, it's his hometown team. He grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio State, and probably loved the Browns. I would be incredibly happy to see Clements land in that type of situation, but maybe I am the only one.
i appreciate the encouraging words. as a browns fan, they are few and far between.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll go to whoever can fork out the most cash.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
ChazMonk
Rookie

ChazMonk hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugegmenfan View Post
Uh, how about someone who grew up a Brown's fan and realized they actually are an up and coming team, and will have a pretty damn good defense next year. If they offer him enough money, he will be there.

I'm amazed at all the haters out there of one of the oldest franchizes in the NFL. It's not like they are the Bengals of the 90's. What will you all do when the Brown's start winning?
ChazMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
snazel
Rookie

snazel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm hoping he becomes a Brown. If we can land Clements alongside any one of the top OGs out there (Dielman, Steinbach, Dockery, Davis) I would splooge. Hopefully more news pours out as the night progresses...
snazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMonk View Post
I'm amazed at all the haters out there of one of the oldest franchizes in the NFL. It's not like they are the Bengals of the 90's. What will you all do when the Brown's start winning?
I expect to be long dead by then
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think he will go to the chargers
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
ChazMonk
Rookie

ChazMonk hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I expect to be long dead by then
So be it. Start getting things in order over the next couple of years....
ChazMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMonk View Post
So be it. Start getting things in order over the next couple of years....
I'd like to see the boys from down the Lake succeed. I just don't see the promise at the most important positions.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's rumored to go to about every team but he will be overpaid, he is asking to be the highest paid corner in the league, and while teams may not offer Champ type money he won't be far off with his demands, some team will give him an offer around what he wants.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote