Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
chevis jackson hasn't played well this offseason either. I think we'll see tye hill and houston at CBs and brian williams at the nickle. Not this sunday tho.

edit: harry douglas'es injury pisses me off. Dammit, even with an offense this good, we need that guy.
Chevis was good as the nickel last season as a rookie. He won't lose his job.

It will be a battle between Williams and Hill for the number two corner spot.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
chevis jackson hasn't played well this offseason either. I think we'll see tye hill and houston at CBs and brian williams at the nickle. Not this sunday tho.

edit: harry douglas'es injury pisses me off. Dammit, even with an offense this good, we need that guy.
I feel similiar about Houston as i did about Vick in the pre 2007 days. You see flashes and you know its there, you just want something to click for them and have it all come together. Tye Hill has been banged up but has shown he can play at a high level also. Brian Williams in the nickel would be ideal given his skillset, between he and Chevis you would have to think we can handle the inside guys of teams who want to throw 3-5 WR sets at us

Some weird matchups for our D over the start of the year teams like...

Dolphins- wildcat
Patriots- spread O (with a massive weapon being their #3WR)
Cowboys - Two 6"7 Stud TE's and a back who can be split-out and cause problems

Its gonna be rough for the D ...but i think we will see the benifits of that exp at the back end of the season. Really pushing for Houston and Anderson in the first few weeks...wanna see them play well and take some pressure off themselves. Really like all our players as people this year, want to see them all do well

I have a bad feeling about William Moore, dude needs to toughen up and pair himself up with Coleman at safety. DeCoud and/or (insert NB or OLB) on Witten and/or Bennett in the Dallas game might be tough
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeCoud is a good player but I see William Moore with 10x more potential. I like the fact that we will see some crazy offenses. Our defense is young, but it's all on pass rush and how well we can play on 3rd downs. That's where we suffered this pre season. We can't allow many big plays.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
DeCoud is a good player but I see William Moore with 10x more potential. I like the fact that we will see some crazy offenses. Our defense is young, but it's all on pass rush and how well we can play on 3rd downs. That's where we suffered this pre season. We can't allow many big plays.
Decoud has been VERY quiet this preseason, not to mention he forces Coleman to a role different to that he performed so well in last year.

The crazy Ds will be good if we progress game to game but they cant be abused soo much that it sapps their confidence. I just have trouble thinking how we will contain Bennet and Witten at all

You want a real smokey (australian word meaning darkhorse) of a guy with about 10x more potential than anyone...

....Spencer Adkins, another guy who it just has to click for. Played no football this preseason except for about 5 plays...he was in on 3 of them and looked good, made the 53 man roster. Can see us all clammoring for a WLB in this years draft but depending on how much this guy impresses our staff from a mental standpoint they have something here. 5"11 245 4.4 and 30 reps of 225 are first round numbers then add a years NFL coaching and conditioning and who knows
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got very high expectations for the offense, and I think they will meet them. Just too much talent not to.

Edit: And I got to say, I can't wait to see Harvey Dahl back in action again. While he had some dumb penalties, you gotta love how he plays. Watching Turner run behind him and Clabo is always a welcomed sight.

On defense, I'd by lying if I wasn't quite concerned. I know Abraham is going to be great if healthy, Babs is going to be good/very good, Lofton's going to be good on run downs, and Coleman will be good. And that Mike Peterson will be atleast solid and not a complete Brooking esque liability. No faith in Nicholas, DeCoud, JA, or any of the corners. I think Peria's going to have a good year. He struggled with doubles this pre-season, but as I'm sure you recall, Babs or Abe are going to command doubles on nearly every play, so I have faith that Jerry can exploit some one on one matchups. We've got the potential to go very far if the D can be even average-above average for us, so we've really got to pray for the best.

Week 1 prediction:

Falcons win 31-23.

Last edited by ATLDirtyBirds : 09-12-2009 at 09:27 AM.
ATLDirtyBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
I feel similiar about Houston as i did about Vick in the pre 2007 days. You see flashes and you know its there, you just want something to click for them and have it all come together. Tye Hill has been banged up but has shown he can play at a high level also. Brian Williams in the nickel would be ideal given his skillset, between he and Chevis you would have to think we can handle the inside guys of teams who want to throw 3-5 WR sets at us

Some weird matchups for our D over the start of the year teams like...

Dolphins- wildcat
Patriots- spread O (with a massive weapon being their #3WR)
Cowboys - Two 6"7 Stud TE's and a back who can be split-out and cause problems

Its gonna be rough for the D ...but i think we will see the benifits of that exp at the back end of the season. Really pushing for Houston and Anderson in the first few weeks...wanna see them play well and take some pressure off themselves. Really like all our players as people this year, want to see them all do well

I have a bad feeling about William Moore, dude needs to toughen up and pair himself up with Coleman at safety. DeCoud and/or (insert NB or OLB) on Witten and/or Bennett in the Dallas game might be tough
1. The wildcat is a fad. It really only was a dominating factor in one game.

2. I would say Witten is a stud, but I wouldn't worry about Bennett. If he is killing us then there is no hope for our defense.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
1. The wildcat is a fad. It really only was a dominating factor in one game.

2. I would say Witten is a stud, but I wouldn't worry about Bennett. If he is killing us then there is no hope for our defense.
If you think that then you have no idea what the WildCat is all about. 1st, it opened up alot of big plays last year. It's a sub-package. It's not designed to be a base offense and "dominate" games. But it lead to plenty of scores for Miami all season.

And the biggest factor with the WildCat is that teams have to spend extra time prepping for it which means less time spent prepping for the base offense which leads to much softer and easier defenses to face week in and week out.

The WildCat in itself doesn't do much outside of an occasional big play and some 1st downs. The threat of the WildCat is what really brings alot to the table by opening up the base offense.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You do not need to spend that much time preparing for it. All you have to do is execute, don't over-pursue and maintain fundamentals and it will take care of itself. Atlanta was using the wildcat back in 2006, first I might add, it worked amazingly for a few weeks and then it faded as no one was surprised by it anymore.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You do not need to spend that much time preparing for it. All you have to do is execute, don't over-pursue and maintain fundamentals and it will take care of itself. Atlanta was using the wildcat back in 2006, it worked amazingly for a few weeks and then it faded as no one was surprised by it anymore.
This.

Really. Wildcat isn't a preparation, but a commitment to fundamental defense.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Atlanta wasn't using the WildCat 1st. The Panthers used it before that and it was used in the 80's and 90's in smaller amounts. Everyone likes to take credit for the WildCat but it's been around forever. Atlanta didn't invent it in 2006.

But your kidding yourself if you think it doesn't take preparation. Hard to "stick to your fundamental defense" when you haven't watched any film of that offense and don't know the type of routes or running lanes that can come out of it. It takes just as much prep as any other sub package.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Atlanta was the first to bring it back with Vick at the helm. So your right I should have qualified my statement. I remember Minnesota used it at times in the 90s. But it faded out and now its back in. It does not have longevity for a reason: one its easy to defend if you see it coming and two if you use it with your QB then he will get hurt.

As for preparing for it as any other sub package, I think that there is arguably more time invested in installing said offensive package than actually spent preparing to face it. By the way the Dolphins aren't exactly the Patriots or Saints here, teams that move the ball with more traditional offenses.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we'll see how it work tomorrow.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
we'll see how it work tomorrow.
I wouldn't say our defense should be used as a barometer for the success or lack thereof of any scheme or system.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Atlanta was the first to bring it back with Vick at the helm. So your right I should have qualified my statement. I remember Minnesota used it at times in the 90s. But it faded out and now its back in. It does not have longevity for a reason: one its easy to defend if you see it coming and two if you use it with your QB then he will get hurt.

As for preparing for it as any other sub package, I think that there is arguably more time invested in installing said offensive package than actually spent preparing to face it. By the way the Dolphins aren't exactly the Patriots or Saints here, teams that move the ball with more traditional offenses.
Chad Pennington's passes stat's beg to differ. He was the biggest Pro Bowl snub last year after Rivers. Pennington is completely non-exsistent in the WildCat for the most part and yet he put up monster numbers. The Dolphins base offense was plenty effective without the WildCat. People like to site the WildCat as the base of the Dolphins success last year but that's not the case at all. An improved OL and a top notch QB allowed to Dolphins to move the ball more effectively in all aspects of the game. The WildCat was just a sub package that got the attention.

Anyways, saying the WildCat hasn't lasted because it's easy to defend is utterly pointless. 1st, if it was easy to defend, the Dolphins wouldn't have ran it so effectively all year last year. And 2nd, the WildCat used now is not the same WildCat used in the 80's and 90's, or even with Vick. The WildCat used by the Dolphins has alot of the same principles used the UF style Spread Option. The Dolphins kept it basic for the most part last year, but there's still alot more to the WildCat that wasn't/couldn't be properly utilized due to personnel. There's a reason the Dolphins drafted Pat White and now added a 4th RB to the roster.

Lastly, you call the WildCat a fad but in the same breath admit it's been around since the 80's and 90's. If it's been in the league for close to 40 years in some way shape or form, them obviously it's not a fad.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Chad Pennington's passes stat's beg to differ. He was the biggest Pro Bowl snub last year after Rivers. Pennington is completely non-exsistent in the WildCat for the most part and yet he put up monster numbers. The Dolphins base offense was plenty effective without the WildCat. People like to site the WildCat as the base of the Dolphins success last year but that's not the case at all. An improved OL and a top notch QB allowed to Dolphins to move the ball more effectively in all aspects of the game. The WildCat was just a sub package that got the attention.

Anyways, saying the WildCat hasn't lasted because it's easy to defend is utterly pointless. 1st, if it was easy to defend, the Dolphins wouldn't have ran it so effectively all year last year. And 2nd, the WildCat used now is not the same WildCat used in the 80's and 90's, or even with Vick. The WildCat used by the Dolphins has alot of the same principles used the UF style Spread Option. The Dolphins kept it basic for the most part last year, but there's still alot more to the WildCat that wasn't/couldn't be properly utilized due to personnel. There's a reason the Dolphins drafted Pat White and now added a 4th RB to the roster.

Lastly, you call the WildCat a fad but in the same breath admit it's been around since the 80's and 90's. If it's been in the league for close to 40 years in some way shape or form, them obviously it's not a fad.
Yes, yes it is. It comes and gos. It has some success, leaves, and comes back. This is probably the biggest surge it has ever had, but it has been a fad to this point.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

nothing like the season. All these dolphin fans, ahh. Good times. Good times.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cant wait til the game. Bos and D i know you will miss me in our traditional chat, but 5 rows from the field on the 42 yard line is Oh so sweet.

Not too worried, more anxious id say. Im really hoping for just a solid showing and praying the secondary comes to play.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unleash the Predator. Have fun Jake Long.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

first online stream game for me. the stream better not die.

our defense is gonna have a tough time against the wildcat.
my prediction: 30-24 falcons.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Ah, Matty missed a TD to Roddy.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Missed Tony G for a TD too. Then an Elam miss. Super.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Haha. **** JA and Davis. KROY!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sophomore slump? :(
Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

That's my boy.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

sick abe. sick.