Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, way to just give up defense, is it that hard to play for 4 quarters?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Turner running like a ******* man.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** the Redskins D. Thats what Turner thinks of you.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryan really needs to get his **** together. He's just downright awful at this point. Same with the OL in regards to pass blocking. A good deal of it is Matt's fault, but you've got to do a little better to give us a chance to throw downfield. With Turner running well again, hopefully we can get some big play action plays again.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what to think: first four weeks our pass offense was doing well and our rush offense was sucking, now the roles have reversed. If we could get the whole thing going, watch out! You have to like our chances at a WC.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Can someone also explain how Roddy isn't being thrown to more often? We obviously are incapable of throwing the ball downfield, so how is Roddy not being targeted like hell?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeAngelo Hall is a P.O.S. by the way.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha I love DHall.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Haha I love DHall.
I love that he's not on our team.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone noticed Grimes on the FG block unit? I always see some small guy flying by the kicker. He is gonna block a kick sometime this season. Book it.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brent Grimes is only like the best CB ever. :D

Seriously though, we are a good team, but we just have to be more consistent. That interception Matt Ryan threw was just down right horrible. I can't believe he made a decision that bad.

We opened the door for the redskins and in our home. Our d line played very well today, but our DBs make every QB look like peyton manning. Waaay too much room mr. houston, it's getting old buddy.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Haha I love DHall.
I do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I love that he's not on our team.
I'm not overly familiar with how he's playing, but if legit DeAngelo, I'd kill to have him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Has anyone noticed Grimes on the FG block unit? I always see some small guy flying by the kicker. He is gonna block a kick sometime this season. Book it.
I have. I noticed his head almost being snapped off on a couple of holds by the Saints.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

DeAngelo Hall is just like Chris Houston, only he makes more plays on the ball. We were dead last in pass defense when he was here, and according to Football Outsiders' we were the 32nd ranked defense against #1 WR. Anyone remember Hines Ward, Steve Smith or Terrell Owens having their way with him? Even Eddie Royal had the best game of his career against Hall, on the first game of his career, albeit he was a Raider at that point.

Dude sucked (sucks)

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll trust my watching of the games over FootballOutsiders. I watch the games.

The last year he was here DHall was lockdown in all but a few games. Rookie Chris Houston was abused.

As to ATL, he is much more of what he was here in Washington than what he was in Oakland. Good coverage guy who makes huge plays, misses tackles, and plays with a temper.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I watched games too...

There are many more examples if you want me to provide them, but TO and Hines Ward got two touchdowns on him and those were memorable games to me. Even Sidney Rice roasted him for a TD. It wasn't "just a few" games that he failed in coverage. The guy made big time interceptions, but he was toasted a lot. It wasn't a coincidence that we have a bottom of the barrel pass defense every year with our supposed "shut-down" corner. How many terrible pass defenses (by rank) has Champ Bailey been on?

Last edited by Shiver : 11-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I watched games too...

There are many more examples if you want me to provide them, but TO and Hines Ward got two touchdowns on him and those were memorable games to me. The guy made big time interceptions, but he was toasted a lot.
It's widely known that DHall got toasted throughout 2006 (PIT 10/ 22/ 2006, DAL 12/ 17/ 2006). I referenced 2007.

The only big time touchdown I recall him giving up in 2007 was to Joey Galloway on a stop and go, expected considering DHall's aggressiveness has always been his biggest weakness. He also gave one up in the Giants game, but if I recall correctly that was DeMorrio Williams' responsibility.

He has a hot head, but he won't back down from anybody and makes huge plays in coverage, then knows what to do with the ball in his hands. Too bad he gets too emotional, is too aggressive, and has horrible form on tackles.

Probably doesn't fit great with all teams, but on a team like Washington or, even better, New England, I'll take him any day.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It wasn't a coincidence that we have a bottom of the barrel pass defense every year with our supposed "shut-down" corner. How many terrible pass defenses (by rank) has Champ Bailey been on?
Well, DHall gets on a competent defense and his team, the Washington Redskins, are currently number one in pass defense by yardage. Last year the Redskins were number seven and the Raiders, despite his inadequacies, were number ten.

The Broncos last season were 26. San Fran with Clements 20. Jaguars with Mathis 24. Jets with Revis 29. Seahawks with Trufant 32.

In 2006 Denver was 21 in pass defense.

In 2005 Denver was 29 in pass defense.

In 2002 Denver was 17 in pass defense.

in 2001 Denver was 16 in pass defense.

In 2000 Denver was dead last, 31st, in pass defense.

So the Broncos, to answer your queston, were often par or sub par in pass defense during Champ Bailey's tenure.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop this ******** about D hall. We didn't want him for a reason, that's why we traded him. Even if he's the #1 shutdown corner in the league, I would not want a guy on this team who thinks he's the most important man in the world. His stupidity and cockyness is not what we need, I'll rather keep houston.

Throw out the numbers.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:

What really strikes me about this number is that denvers starting CBs were...

Deion Sanders
Champ Bailey

2 of the best CBs in NFL history.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Well, DHall gets on a competent defense and his team, the Washington Redskins, are currently number one in pass defense by yardage. Last year the Redskins were number seven and the Raiders, despite his inadequacies, were number ten.

The Broncos last season were 26. San Fran with Clements 20. Jaguars with Mathis 24. Jets with Revis 29. Seahawks with Trufant 32.

In 2006 Denver was 21 in pass defense.

In 2005 Denver was 29 in pass defense.

In 2002 Denver was 17 in pass defense.

in 2001 Denver was 16 in pass defense.

So the Broncos, to answer your queston, were often par or sub par in pass defense during Champ Bailey's tenure.
So many things here, where to start...

You included 2005 when Bailey had a terrible hamstring injury and it was remarkable he even played but not 2004 when they had the 6th rated defense. The ranks of the pass defense in Bailey's prime (2001-2007) were average at worst and great at best. Compare that with this:

2004 - 22nd
2005 - 14th (not bad)
2006 - 29th (worst against #1 WR)
2007 - 23rd

Like I said, he made big time INT, but he also got roasted (too) often. He was the primary culprit for the 2nd half collapses of 2006 and 2007.

That list of corners you had was terrible I might add; Trufant? Mathis? Revis as a rookie? Selective choices I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Stop this ******** about D hall. We didn't want him for a reason, that's why we traded him. Even if he's the #1 shutdown corner in the league, I would not want a guy on this team who thinks he's the most important man in the world. His stupidity and cockyness is not what we need, I'll rather keep houston.

Throw out the numbers.
Houston isn't any worse than Hall was. He lacks the ball skills, but it's almost a push as far as I'm concerned. He certainly isn't a douchebag at the least.

BTW: How about Tye Hill..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Tye Hill played well, but HOW ABOUT BABS!!??!?

first 7 games: 14 tackles, 1.5 sacks
today: 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks

WTF was he on today, seriously??

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I love our unheralded defense:

Babineaux
Biermann
Decoud
Nicolas
Lofton

Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Man falcons have been brutal to watch last 2 games (not counting this one). Only thing that excited me to turn my tv on today was DeCoud and Lofton. Those guys had an amazing season. If we only had our high draft picks playing.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So many things here, where to start...

You included 2005 when Bailey had a terrible hamstring injury and it was remarkable he even played but not 2004 when they had the 6th rated defense. The ranks of the pass defense in Bailey's prime (2001-2007) were average at worst and great at best. Compare that with this:

Hmm, terrible hamstring injury. And then in 2006, when Champ was considered at his peak (DMVP lead with Jason Taylor), they were still only 21. Huh.

2004 - 22nd
2005 - 14th (not bad)
2006 - 29th (worst against #1 WR)
2007 - 23rd

And 2006, the season in which I have acknowledged Hall was horrible.

Like I said, he made big time INT, but he also got roasted (too) often. He was the primary culprit for the 2nd half collapses of 2006 and 2007.

The primary culprit for the second half collapse of 2007? False. No matter his attitude, the coach's responsibility is to handle the player. Petrino was not up to task in handling the players on the team.

Not to mention a halfway collapse is near impossible when you are 2-6 at the halfway point of the season, and you finish double that- 4-12. Additionally, the team played much more together over the final few games than it did when Petrino was head coach, further proving that it was primarily his doing.

That list of corners you had was terrible I might add; Trufant? Mathis? Revis as a rookie? Selective choices I would say.

Nah, you just have a short memory.

Mathis and Trufant, more so Mathis, were considered two top corners for years before their recent demise. Mathis may be returning to that status.

Revis last season was not a rookie. He was a second year player and already considered one of the best man corners in the league.

Houston isn't any worse than Hall was. He lacks the ball skills, but it's almost a push as far as I'm concerned. He certainly isn't a douchebag at the least.

You say you watch the games, act like it. Hall was better than Houston, and is better than Houston, in almost every way. Houston is average at best and is bad as me when it comes to locating the ball in the air. Hall destroys him in coverage and Houston isn't anything special when it comes to playing the run.

The only thing he truly has on Hall is a better temper. And from all indications from people who actually know Hall, he isn't like that off the field. Which doesn't really matter for this discussion, but I wouldn't resort to name calling.

BTW: How about Tye Hill..
Any way you slice it, the arguement doesn't hold up. This arguement can be made with Bailey's 2006 season, one of the greatest in NFL history by a cornerback.

Top corners don't directly lead to top pass defenses. Hall, Champ, Mathis, etc. do not overcome a lack of pass rush, cornerback play on the opposite side of the field, LB coverage, or safety help over the top.

You give them those things and you get top defenses.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Damn. Despite what seemed to be a slow start for Michael Turner, he has 10 TDs and 720 yards through 8 games (projected: 1440 and 20), including a TD in 7 straight games. Granted, 317 of those yards have come within the last 2 games, but he looks rejuvenated and ready to go, while on pace for 312 carries. His success is going to be key in getting Ryan back on track.

In the first quarter the season, we relied on Ryan's arm and now we are relying on Turner. Hopefully by playoff time, both will start clicking and our offense will become red hot, like we all know its capable of doing. The pass blocking has to improve first.