Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are gonna ride this Big Mo train for 2 weeks all the way into Philly. Im enjoying it.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
We are gonna ride this Big Mo train for 2 weeks all the way into Philly. Im enjoying it.
Its good being a falcons fan right now. Im enjoying this.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattryan/...e?id=RYA238179

That video on the right is great.

3:38
Q: Matt, Matt are you sure you're a rookie??
A: I mean, uhh yeah, I mean, I'm sure. I mean, I am just a kid still, really.

Lol, that was funny.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol. I love watching Ryan's press conferences. He is pretty funny.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Brian Van Gorder has been our biggest blunder. He's a bad DC. For some reason he keeps dropping Boley into coverage.
You really think that? Sure we are a below average D within the league but prior to the season EVERYONE thought out 2ndary would be flat out abused time after time after time. While we go through alot of rough periods i think BVG does a good job of covering our weaknesses. Dont get me wrong i love crazy hybrid blitzing D's more than anyone but you need the right personel and at the moment its not something we have. Its strange man, at the moment when i watch us get hit in the pass game i honestly have the belief that we will hold them to a field goal as soon as the feild shortens up and alot of times its happening. I can never remember having such faith in the falcons or their staff

IMO The fact that the only bad decision i can think of so far that Mike Smith and TD have made is the release of our 2nd string SS out of Maine who jumps cars says alot about how many right calls they have made. BVG covers a D with alot of weaknesses. IF we used our Lbs like zimmer did, sure, we would have more sacks, but we would also give up alot more explosive plays.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Murlarkey has been excellent. He has given Matt the perfect amount of responsibility and in the first few games gave him easy reads. He is a primary reason for Matt coming along so nicely. I also love his little reverses to Douglas, they usually work great even if the one today failed.

The only thing is that I think Norwood should be getting about 10 offensive touches a game. He is a weapon.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Murlarkey has been excellent. He has given Matt the perfect amount of responsibility and in the first few games gave him easy reads. He is a primary reason for Matt coming along so nicely. I also love his little reverses to Douglas, they usually work great even if the one today failed.

The only thing is that I think Norwood should be getting about 10 offensive touches a game. He is a weapon.
I think he should get more than that. Somehow he needs to be between 12-15 touches wheter they are quick passes, runs anything, he makes so many big plays w/ his explosiveness.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think he knows that, and he'll get his, but we're trying to establish something, have to have confidence in it for it to work.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I agree about Norwood. 3 Things i would like to see after the bye week (in order).

Players

1) A healthy return for Laurent Robinson and a 5+ catch 100 yard game or two. Establish himself as a #2 WR

2) Jamaal to play like he did today a few more times

3) No drop offs from our rookies over the stretch (im talking mental problems)

Coaches

1) More involvement from Norwood, even if Turner gets 5-10 less touches give Norwood 5-10 more touches

2) Make Jerious Norwood our Punt Returner

3) Get Foxworth some game time
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
You really think that? Sure we are a below average D within the league but prior to the season EVERYONE thought out 2ndary would be flat out abused time after time after time. While we go through alot of rough periods i think BVG does a good job of covering our weaknesses. Dont get me wrong i love crazy hybrid blitzing D's more than anyone but you need the right personel and at the moment its not something we have. Its strange man, at the moment when i watch us get hit in the pass game i honestly have the belief that we will hold them to a field goal as soon as the feild shortens up and alot of times its happening. I can never remember having such faith in the falcons or their staff

IMO The fact that the only bad decision i can think of so far that Mike Smith and TD have made is the release of our 2nd string SS out of Maine who jumps cars says alot about how many right calls they have made. BVG covers a D with alot of weaknesses. IF we used our Lbs like zimmer did, sure, we would have more sacks, but we would also give up alot more explosive plays.

BVG sucks. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but you secondary still gets beat up consistently. We play an extremely vanilla defense, and I hate it. It takes Michael Boley out of helping in the run/pass rush game, where he is a huge assest. I think the reason we saw his TC weight at 225 is so he could drop into coverage so much, and it's just not smart. We rely on pressure from 4 guys. Most of the time, two of them can actually attack the QB. Anderson just sucks, and any nose we have isn't rushing. Today Anderson played very well, but that's still only 3 guys. We should be blitzing Lofton and Boley much more. It would also help with all those double teams Abe gets.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Boley probably gets beat by blockers a bit more now due to losing weight, but man is he fast. He hawked Greg Jennings from behind in the Falcons at Packers game.

If we go back to a blitzing scheme he needs to gain some weight back, but if he is dropping into coverage all day there is no reason for him to gain it back.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Boley probably gets beat by blockers a bit more now due to losing weight, but man is he fast. He hawked Greg Jennings from behind in the Falcons at Packers game.
Yeah man, that was sick. It also reminds me...

Guys re-watch the norwood return, i seriously think he had another 3-4 yards to work with there...he kind of paniced a little but. He coulda stuttered/goosesteped, stood his man up and then accelerated again & took those 3-4 yards between him and the sideline combined with a stiff arm and got around him (we call that an 'in and away' in Rugby in AUS) OR made one of those brutal jukes back inside the guy covering where he would of hit the trailing shoulder of the defender at full speed. Both would of ended in a TD. Not nit picking at all, i just think its funny how Norwood has so many weapons in the open feild that he appeared to get confussed and do nothing at the end of that run back.

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 10-12-2008 at 09:53 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem there DMH is he was tired as hell. He basically just wanted to go down at that point since he had no more strength left.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
ChewyRaven318
Rookie

ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.

I just watched the game. What a fantastic win for you guys, congrats!

Ryan's the real deal, and I see big things for your franchise.
ChewyRaven318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
I agree about Norwood. 3 Things i would like to see after the bye week (in order).

Players

1) A healthy return for Laurent Robinson and a 5+ catch 100 yard game or two. Establish himself as a #2 WR

2) Jamaal to play like he did today a few more times

3) No drop offs from our rookies over the stretch (im talking mental problems)

Coaches

1) More involvement from Norwood, even if Turner gets 5-10 less touches give Norwood 5-10 more touches

2) Make Jerious Norwood our Punt Returner

3) Get Foxworth some game time
This would be huge, Ive been calling for this all season, either HD or Norwood back there, they at least give us that chance to make a play, enhancing what already is an incredible all around special teams unit. (KO return, KO cov. PR cov-still # 1 in the league, Field Goals 16/17 FG, thank god for #16)
Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
BVG sucks. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but you secondary still gets beat up consistently. We play an extremely vanilla defense, and I hate it. It takes Michael Boley out of helping in the run/pass rush game, where he is a huge assest. I think the reason we saw his TC weight at 225 is so he could drop into coverage so much, and it's just not smart. We rely on pressure from 4 guys. Most of the time, two of them can actually attack the QB. Anderson just sucks, and any nose we have isn't rushing. Today Anderson played very well, but that's still only 3 guys. We should be blitzing Lofton and Boley much more. It would also help with all those double teams Abe gets.
You may not like it, but that's a Mike Smith Defense - everyone plays their gaps and their responsibilities. Changing the co-ordinator isn't going to change that. What that defense needs is a dominant D-line, like they had in JAX. Hopefully JA98 will build on this game, and we can improve our DTs in the offseason.

In any event, BVG did throw them something a little different every so often - there were a few LB blitzes.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What an amazing game. Domination throughout followed by a near catastrophic choke, quickly turning into a miraculous come back win. Some quick notes:

1) Jamaal Anderson - while he still doesn't impress me as a pass rusher, he played with incredible football smarts today and made his impact felt in more ways than one. What a fantastic moment of spontaneous joy and team spirit when JA got his first sack and everyone piled on him and slapped him on the back. After that point it seemed like he had an extra fire in his belly.

The Sack - doubled teamed, he spun off looking for a hole in the O-line. Finding one, he also found Orton running right into his hands. Maybe not the most dominant of sacks but he didn't give up and allowed himself to be in the right place at the right time.

Batted balls and being unblocked - the Bears left Anderson unblocked several time. The first time they left Forte in to hold him off of Orton. Anderson seemed hesitant and Forte took him down before he even made a move. The second time, Forte was supposed to chip him then run a screen. Anderson avoided the chip and instantly got his hands up when Orton turned to pass. That's the kind of agility and fluidity that I haven't seen from Anderson in quite a while. The second batted ball was just his usual bull rush but this time he got his hands up.

Running game - keeping aware of the play, he noticed Forte getting the ball and making a move to his side. He got under the tackle's arm and allowed himself and easy move to get at Forte and drop him for a loss.

He had one good pass rush that I saw. He did his bull rush and knocked the tackle back a bit. He had an almost clear line to Orton. He got even with the tackle and the tackle wrapped his right arm around Anderson's neck. A clear penalty but it wasn't called. Luckily Boley almost got the interception.

While he didn't get a ton of pressure, he played a smart football game today and outperformed everyone else on the D-line. Let's hope he gets some confidence from this and keeps it up. Contrary to popular belief, no one wants him to fail.

2) Houston - I still have no idea what he was thinking when he allowed that last touchdown. He was having a pretty good game too. He was almost a huge goat but hopefully he can learn from this. Let's not forget that he's fairly new to zone coverage (although this was more of a brain fart).

3) Grimes - played some tough D a few times but still seems outmatched out there and still missed key tackles. It's no coincidence that the Bears lined their taller receivers to Grimes's side and threw up jump balls. Grimes better get used to that.

4) O-line - impressive bit of pass protection. There were a few times where there was some miscommunication and guys were left unblocked but for the most part, they allowed Ryan all the time he needed to make good decisions. The running game stunk but that was to be expected. You can't create a hole when there's 4 guys waiting to fill it up on the next level.

5) Ryan - what a turnaround. This guy has grown in leaps and bounds since that Tampa game. Extreme accuracy, knowledge and adjustment to zone, reading the defense. I don't think I'm over-reacting to call this a Payton-esque performance. We couldn't run and were in a lot of 3rd and long situations but every time he stayed cool and delivered a strike. The Bear's secondary are going to be hitting the video room for overtime this week.

6) Elam - it happens. Sometimes you just miss one. But with a world of pressure on your shoulders and a horrible flub on your last kick, he calmly went up and drilled a 48-yarder to win. This guy can kick on my team any day.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias View Post
While he didn't get a ton of pressure, he played a smart football game today and outperformed everyone else on the D-line. Let's hope he gets some confidence from this and keeps it up. Contrary to popular belief, no one wants him to fail.
I agree with most of what you said here, but to say that Anderson only had 1 good pass rush pressure is just wrong. I don't wanna get into it but it's just wrong. He was pushing the pocket constantly. He really was just dominating when you watch look how often Orton had to scramble out due to the pocket just not being there anymore because BOTH of our DEs were owning their guys and forcing him up. If they hadn't contained Babs so well Anderson would have gotten Babs a couple of sacks.

Other than that I pretty much agree with you on, but to say that he only had 1...wow.

Of course I've been his biggest appologist but even NFL.com mentioned how good of a game he had, and if it weren't for 'Ice' he would have been the game's MVP.

But I'm amazed at this team's fight. 2 weeks in a row taking gut checks and coming out and doing the 'impossible' today. Impressive.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
You may not like it, but that's a Mike Smith Defense - everyone plays their gaps and their responsibilities. Changing the co-ordinator isn't going to change that. What that defense needs is a dominant D-line, like they had in JAX. Hopefully JA98 will build on this game, and we can improve our DTs in the offseason.

In any event, BVG did throw them something a little different every so often - there were a few LB blitzes.

Well, it's a really bad defense, and it's going to kill us soon. Orton had way too much time, and had no problem hitting passes over our terrible secondary. We really cannot just rely on Abraham getting pressure. He was taken out of the game for the most part do to a double team. The one time he laid a hit on Orton, it was because we blitzed Brooking.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I agree with most of what you said here, but to say that Anderson only had 1 good pass rush pressure is just wrong. I don't wanna get into it but it's just wrong. He was pushing the pocket constantly. He really was just dominating when you watch look how often Orton had to scramble out due to the pocket just not being there anymore because BOTH of our DEs were owning their guys and forcing him up. If they hadn't contained Babs so well Anderson would have gotten Babs a couple of sacks.

Other than that I pretty much agree with you on, but to say that he only had 1...wow.

Of course I've been his biggest appologist but even NFL.com mentioned how good of a game he had, and if it weren't for 'Ice' he would have been the game's MVP.

But I'm amazed at this team's fight. 2 weeks in a row taking gut checks and coming out and doing the 'impossible' today. Impressive.
Maybe we disagree with what a good pass rush is. Pushing the pocket doesn't do anything unless you can push the tackle right into the QB (or get close enough to put up your hands and knock down the pass). Tackles are trained to give a little to a defensive end. There was a second play where Babs and Anderson got enough push to make Orton run out of the pocket so I guess you can say there was a second good pash rush. I just meant that the only time he had a shot to beat his man and sack the QB was the one where he got clotheslined by the tackle.

There's no reason to pick over terminology. Anderson had a good day which probably had a big impact on the game. Let's hope he doesn't disappear again.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Well, it's a really bad defense, and it's going to kill us soon. Orton had way too much time, and had no problem hitting passes over our terrible secondary. We really cannot just rely on Abraham getting pressure. He was taken out of the game for the most part do to a double team. The one time he laid a hit on Orton, it was because we blitzed Brooking.
I think that you are being overly critical. The Bears actually have a pretty good offense this season, and we held them to 3 points in the first half.

Yes, we had breakdowns in the second half, but this is the NFL and those things happen. I agree that our defense is not as strong as we need it to be for us to be serious contenders, but i think that it is a personnel issue rather than a scheme issue - our corners are hopelessly inexperienced, and our D-line is not as good as it needs to be. That will improve with time and a good 2009 offseason.

Maybe switching to a heavier blitz scheme could hide some of those flaws, but it could also lead to more explosive plays against. We'll blitz some, as we already have done, but I don't think that Smitty is going to change his opinion on scheme overnight...
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Maybe we disagree with what a good pass rush is. Pushing the pocket doesn't do anything unless you can push the tackle right into the QB (or get close enough to put up your hands and knock down the pass). Tackles are trained to give a little to a defensive end. There was a second play where Babs and Anderson got enough push to make Orton run out of the pocket so I guess you can say there was a second good pash rush. I just meant that the only time he had a shot to beat his man and sack the QB was the one where he got clotheslined by the tackle.

There's no reason to pick over terminology. Anderson had a good day which probably had a big impact on the game. Let's hope he doesn't disappear again.
Okay fair enough, I consider a good pass rush something that forces the QB to get out of the pocket and out of his comfort zone. Pass rush isn't all sacks and unblocked shots at the QB, it's just not letting him get comfortable.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
I think that you are being overly critical. The Bears actually have a pretty good offense this season, and we held them to 3 points in the first half.

Yes, we had breakdowns in the second half, but this is the NFL and those things happen. I agree that our defense is not as strong as we need it to be for us to be serious contenders, but i think that it is a personnel issue rather than a scheme issue - our corners are hopelessly inexperienced, and our D-line is not as good as it needs to be. That will improve with time and a good 2009 offseason.

Maybe switching to a heavier blitz scheme could hide some of those flaws, but it could also lead to more explosive plays against. We'll blitz some, as we already have done, but I don't think that Smitty is going to change his opinion on scheme overnight...

We don't have to be the Giants with blitzing, (although I'd like that) we've just got to rush more then 4. Our defensive line isn't good enough to do that. The problem is we are already letting too many explosive plays happen.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
5) Ryan - what a turnaround. This guy has grown in leaps and bounds since that Tampa game. Extreme accuracy, knowledge and adjustment to zone, reading the defense. I don't think I'm over-reacting to call this a Payton-esque performance. We couldn't run and were in a lot of 3rd and long situations but every time he stayed cool and delivered a strike. The Bear's secondary are going to be hitting the video room for overtime this week.
The difference is that defenses scheme to beat Peyton, whereas the opposite was obviously the case against the Falcons.

The Bears stacked the box and dared Matt Ryan to beat them (with both of their starting cornerbacks injured at that). Give Matt Ryan credit for being able to do so, but his assignment wasn't nearly as difficult as elite quarterbacks face on a weekly basis. Perhaps the balance will shift as Ryan does well, then I think we can make a more determinate decision about Ryan, but right now you really can't.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The difference is that defenses scheme to beat Peyton, whereas the opposite was obviously the case against the Falcons.

The Bears stacked the box and dared Matt Ryan to beat them (with both of their starting cornerbacks injured at that). Give Matt Ryan credit for being able to do so, but his assignment wasn't nearly as difficult as elite quarterbacks face on a weekly basis. Perhaps the balance will shift as Ryan does well, then I think we can make a more determinate decision about Ryan, but right now you really can't.

Pretty sure we can. A rookie QB having this kind of success is impressive regardless.