Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just have a bad feeling about this game, I have since Tuesday after the Bears game. It just set in and it's not something that I'm looking forward to. Maybe it's just me remembering the old Philly and the NFC Championship game when they gave it to us. But man, I just don't like it. As far as their DBs go, yeah, I don't wanna throw it up towards Dawkins, but Samuel vs Roddy is edge Roddy imo. Everyone LOVES Asante, I just think he was a product of the system. Roddy should be able to get open, Charles Woodson is playing far superior football to Asante and Roddy got open against Green Bay, so I expect the same from him.

I do think we're going to have to stick with the run, just like the Bears game, I don't care if it doesn't get much, that just means they are opening up the passing game for Ryan again. I'm confident that he can exploit that, the blitzes are going to be the interesting thing. This week will show just how good Ryan is at beating the blitz and just how good the OL is at holding up against the blitz. If Ryan continues to eat the blitz up, then we're in for a treat of a day cause they're going to bring it all game long, and if Turner can get into the secondary, I like his chances too. Just gotta get him through the front of that blitz and he'll have plenty of room to run.

Harry SHOULD be doing the punt returns, Robinson should be back on the field, and imo Boley should be shadowing Westborok all day long.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I've discovered what's wrong with Bears fans...they're all pissed off because their team can't even hold a lead for 11 seconds. Sorry I feel like I needed to vent lol, I'm still getting -rep for being right about the Falcons Bears game...its people like those guys that make rep such a mockery. Deal with it Bears fans, I was right, Falcons won it by a field goal...maybe not by 3 points, but by a field goal.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
It's all good.

Although Matt Ryan has played great, we need to be able to run the ball this week. I think we will be able to. The Eagles have a dynamite secondary with Dawkins, Asante Samuel, Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, and even Quinton Mikell is doing well. Too many good veteran ballhawks to be tossing it around all game. We need to be able to run the ball.

Defensively, I like our matchups. The Eagles don't have that big, veteran receiver that our secondary has struggled with. They have youngsters, and their top three (DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown) are all on the small side, except Brown who is average at 6'1" 195-200. LJ Smith hasn't done much this year for the Eagles at tight end.

We have been solid against the run all year. Westbrook is a beast, I'm not sure if he is going to play (I haven't kept up), but he is definitely a game changer, a playmaker. Cornell Buckhalter is a decent back, but we should be able to handle him.

Although I like how our defensive backs match up with the Eagles, it is hard to underestimate or downplay McNabb, who is playing great football.

We need to get pressure. William Thomas is a very good veteran left tackle for the Eagles, but Abraham may be able to use his speed to get by the aging Thomas. Is Shawn Andrews back? We need to get pressure from all parts of the line; I hope Jamaal Anderson notches the second sack of his career, but John Runyan is a good, powerful right tackle. Our defensive line will be vital this game, as always with our so-so secondary.

It should be a good, hard fought game if we can run the ball and get pressure. If we do neither of those things it may be a long day for the Falcons.

I'd try and sneak some matchups for Abe vs Runyan. Especially later in the game. If he gets locked onto Abraham, it's done. He's had some problems against speed rushers from what I've seen though. And I think I remember reading Westbrook wants to play, and Shawn Andrews is out. Not positive.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I'd try and sneak some matchups for Abe vs Runyan. Especially later in the game. If he gets locked onto Abraham, it's done. He's had some problems against speed rushers from what I've seen though. And I think I remember reading Westbrook wants to play, and Shawn Andrews is out. Not positive.
Westbrook is going to play, there's no doubt in my mind he plays. He's rested and he's a warrior, he'll be on the field. I've not even considered him not being on the field for this game, I'm sure our coaching staff has been the same way.

If Andrews is out that'll help us quite a bit.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big hit to their run game.

I am so excited for this game. Sunday could not come faster. Falconless football for 2 weeks blows (though the bye did help me study and tear up my midterms).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Losing Andrews is a big hit, but they've been without him for a while and Gilles has done a decent job.

I agree, Boley needs to be matched up with Westbrook all day long. Boley is one of few backers who can run with him in coverage.

We can only win if we really impose our run game. They've been good on average, but have given up consecutive 100 yd rushers, I think. It's going to wet and windy, apparently, so the best running game is going to win this game. That gives us a chance.

BTW, on the subject of injuries, it looks like we might face the Saints w/out Bush, and the Broncos w/out Champ. Nice.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Looking ahead at our schedule, this game would be a bonus. We then have a winnable game at Oakland, and then a crucial three game homestand against the Saints, Broncos and Panthers. We have at least a 50/50 chance in all of those games, since our home form has been so good. Even losing to the Eagles, we could actually be 8-3!!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oakland we win. They cant stop Turner.

Saints at home is very winnable. They just seem to find ways to lose and I dont see them having an answer for Roddy White or Michael Turner. Could turn into a shootout that Ryan might win.

Broncos is the same thing (such similar teams). Their defense just got exponentially worse with the injury to Champ Bailey. Their run defense is terrible, along with which we can go over the top to Roddy White. I see our offense dropping 40+ on this defense. Its just that bad. On the other side though, Cutler could tear us apart. He seems to have cooled down though. I dont know how long that will stand.

Panthers at home. Since its a division game, anything can go, but we could end up losing this one. Not because of our incompetency, but because the Panthers are one of the best NFC teams. The only reason we were so close in the away game was the ridiculous amounts of mistakes they made. This is very far down the line though, so we will see.

Man. I hope we win this Philly game. I would see us as a legit playoff contender if we could do it. On the flipside, I can see us getting rocked. Other than the GB game, we suck on the road. Now we go into a place which has raucous causing fans along with a blitz happy defense. It has the makings of a disaster with our rookie LT and QB.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I'm just ready for this game to be here. If we win this game we have a SHOT an outside shot yet, but a possibility to start the season 8-2...

Personally I think we'll end up about 6-4 which is still pretty good. If Denver continues to suck, we can win that game, we are going to have to play ball control, not try to run the score up and get in a shootout, Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler will have a field day that week.

The Saints at home, tough game, but the edge goes to the home team, same with the Panthers, you have to expect to win divisional matchups at home. Yes the Panthers overall are better than we are, but we match up with them well. The Saints are more of a mismatch for us than the Panthers.

But @ Philly is rough, and don't count the Oakland game as a win just yet, traveling across the country always has adverse effects on teams. I expect this to be no different, this game will be close.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Everyone LOVES Asante, I just think he was a product of the system.
When is anyone going to give Asante respect? He was apparently a "product of the system" in New England, and now the same in Philly? Why can't he just be considered an elite CB?

Quote:
I do think we're going to have to stick with the run, just like the Bears game
Probably not the best option to go with. The Eagles' run D, while a little lax before the bye (Portis & Gore) has done a good job of stuffing the run.

Quote:
Boley should be shadowing Westborok all day long.
You're going to spy Westbrook with a linebacker? Oh happy day!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm just ready for this game to be here. If we win this game we have a SHOT an outside shot yet, but a possibility to start the season 8-2...

Personally I think we'll end up about 6-4 which is still pretty good. If Denver continues to suck, we can win that game, we are going to have to play ball control, not try to run the score up and get in a shootout, Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler will have a field day that week.

The Saints at home, tough game, but the edge goes to the home team, same with the Panthers, you have to expect to win divisional matchups at home. Yes the Panthers overall are better than we are, but we match up with them well. The Saints are more of a mismatch for us than the Panthers.

But @ Philly is rough, and don't count the Oakland game as a win just yet, traveling across the country always has adverse effects on teams. I expect this to be no different, this game will be close.

I love our ability to run all over Oakland. We aren't going to pass worth a damn. Favre couldn't do anything against Hall and Aso.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I do not see how we "match up well" against the Panthers. Steve Smith is a top WR and our secondary is suffering. Musin Muhammad is also showing that he can still play (at least against us). That doesnt bode well against our secondary. We got 0 pressure on Delhomne last time we played, even though they suffered injuries to nearly half their OL. We did a great job limiting their run game, but that has the chance to go wild at any time. Stewart scares me. On defense, they are one of the best in the league. Their run defense has shown they can shut down Michael Turner, among other great backs. The best shot we have at winning this game is Ryan airing it out for a W in my opinion. As a rookie, it might be too early to ask for something like that out of him. That game is going to be hard, and just because we have homefield advantage, doesnt mean we have advantage as a team. Of the past 5-6 games between the Panthers and Falcons, only once has the home team won (that was like 4 weeks ago).

Old 10-23-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
When is anyone going to give Asante respect? He was apparently a "product of the system" in New England, and now the same in Philly? Why can't he just be considered an elite CB?

Probably not the best option to go with. The Eagles' run D, while a little lax before the bye (Portis & Gore) has done a good job of stuffing the run.

Cause the system sucks. Its easy to avoid him if need be. All he does is play zone (probably short zone). And even if you do pick on him, its not a big deal. I havent seen much of him this year except for a couple of random picks that come his way, but I do remember seeing Hester beat him for a TD. You really think you are going to stop Roddy White deep when all Samuels can play is short zone?

So its been what, a month, since you last stopped the run well? Thats nearly half the season man. I would say that if you have trouble with Gore, you would have trouble with Turner. Both are similar players. They both run very hard and have surprising speed. I am not saying Turner is going to have a field day against you guys (cause I am not sure myself which Eagles run D is going to show up), but I wouldn't be surprised if Turner did well.

And Michael Boley is no ordinary LB. He is SLB extraordinaire, capable of lining up at not only OLB, but RE and SS too!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Cause the system sucks. Its easy to avoid him if need be. All he does is play zone (probably short zone). And even if you do pick on him, its not a big deal. I havent seen much of him this year except for a couple of random picks that come his way, but I do remember seeing Hester beat him for a TD. You really think you are going to stop Roddy White deep when all Samuels can play is short zone?
He has played a lot of man coverage here. He really hasn't been picked on at all.

Quote:
So its been what, a month, since you last stopped the run well? Thats nearly half the season man. I would say that if you have trouble with Gore, you would have trouble with Turner. Both are similar players. They both run very hard and have surprising speed. I am not saying Turner is going to have a field day against you guys (cause I am not sure myself which Eagles run D is going to show up), but I wouldn't be surprised if Turner did well.
Well, the Eagles have shut down, on the ground, Steven Jackson, Willie Parker and Marion Barber. I feel confident in shutting down Turner.

Quote:
And Michael Boley is no ordinary LB. He is SLB extraordinaire, capable of lining up at not only OLB, but RE and SS too!
Brian Westbrook is no ordinary RB.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Hell, we could cover Westbrook with Abraham. He more the capable covered MJD.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Hell, we could cover Westbrook with Abraham. He more the capable covered MJD.
MJD is not on Westbrook's level.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I'll give Asante respect when he earns it. Which could be this Sunday...prolly not against Roddy White though.

We have to stick with the run, you won't hold us to the 2.5 ypc that the Bears did, we stuck with it and that's what opened up the passing game. The Eagles rush defense is 50/50 in games this year, you held Steven Jackson (woohoo!, he doesn't count with the previous coaching staff, the entire team blew) Willie Parker (he's hurt, but he did have a good opening game, but he's no Michael Turner) and Barber had 18 carries...63 yards and a touchdown. So that was a decent game, but you let him in the endzone...

Michael Boley was running down field with Greg Jennings, speed isn't the problem to keep up with, yes Westbrook is special, but so is Michael Boley. You can cheer now but I don't think you will be on Sunday. Westbrook is a stud, there is no way to stop him entirely, but slowing him down, I like my chances with Boley
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
MJD is not on Westbrook's level.
I agree with you here, I don't know anyone who would argue he was on his level. Westbrook is elite, no question about it. MJD is no slouch though, the fact that a DE can keep up with a RB, that does say something though. Its not as if MJD is slow...but you're right he's not in the same league as Westbrook is.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
I agree with you here, I don't know anyone who would argue he was on his level. Westbrook is elite, no question about it. MJD is no slouch though, the fact that a DE can keep up with a RB, that does say something though. Its not as if MJD is slow...but you're right he's not in the same league as Westbrook is.
Westbrook isn't fast by any means. What makes him so special are his cuts, change of direction, ability etc...He runs a 4.5 at best.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
He has played a lot of man coverage here. He really hasn't been picked on at all.

Well, the Eagles have shut down, on the ground, Steven Jackson, Willie Parker and Marion Barber. I feel confident in shutting down Turner.

Brian Westbrook is no ordinary RB.
I really do not like his chances against Roddy. If the OL can give Ryan enough time, he could have another big day.

Steven Jackson's rushing totals in his first 3 games: 40, 53, 66. You held him to a 2.9 average. Seattle held him to a 2.9 average. He has been terrible this year. Good job on Willie Parker and Marion Barber though.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I really do not like his chances against Roddy. If the OL can give Ryan enough time, he could have another big day.
I'll sig bet you that Roddy gets under 80 yards, assuming Asante is his main guy. Nice thing for the Eagles is they rotate the three CBs a lot.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I'll sig bet you that Roddy gets under 80 yards, assuming Asante is his main guy. Nice thing for the Eagles is they rotate the three CBs a lot.

I'd be down.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
I dont know. I dont think Ryan is going to have enough time to get the ball to Roddy consistently.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Here are some stats for receivers against the Eagles

Rams
Dane Looker: 1 catch, 21 yards
Dante Hall: 3 catches, 13 yards
Torry Holt: 1 catch, 8 yards
Drew Bennett: 1 catch, 4 yards

Cowboys

Terrell Owens: 3 catches, 89 yards, 2 TD (72 yard TD because Sean Considine is an idiot)
Patrick Crayton: 2 catches, 23 yards
Miles Austin: 2 catches, 12 yards

Steelers

Nate Washington: 5 catches, 51 yards
Hines Ward: 4 catches, 34 yards
Santonio Holmes: 3 catches, 32 yards

Bears

Rashied Davis: 1 catch, 34 yards
Brandon Lloyd: 2 catches, 33 yards
Devin Hester: 3 catches, 27 yards, 1 TD
Marty Booker: 1 catch, 23 yards

Redskins

Antwaan Randle El: 3 catches, 34 yards
Devin Thomas: 2 catches, 28 yards
Santana Moss: Nothing
Guess who Samuel was covering???

49ers

Arnaz Battle: 3 catches, 39 yards
Isaac Bruce: 2 catches, 28 yards
Josh Morgan: 1 catch, 25 yards

The most amount of yards any WR has gotten against Philly is 89, and 72 of those came on a zone coverage with Lito short and Considine retardedly coming up and getting roasted on an in and up. The corners have given up one TD this year (Hester vs. Samuel)
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Your best bet in the air is to use your TE (Hartsock?). TEs have killed the Eagles, mainly because Dawkins isn't very good in pass defense anymore and Bradley and Gocong are run stuffers.