Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm looking at defensive end, but this is looking like our outside linebacking corps next year.

SLB- Coy Wire
MLB- Curtis Lofton
WLB- ???

That's bad. I think Laurinitis would fit our scheme well.

I would also love Alex Mack to play guard or center.

At corner, I don't think there will be top talent available where we pick.

Lots of needs for a 11-5 team.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I'm looking at defensive end, but this is looking like our outside linebacking corps next year.

SLB- Coy Wire
MLB- Curtis Lofton
WLB- ???

That's bad. I think Laurinitis would fit our scheme well.

I would also love Alex Mack to play guard or center.

At corner, I don't think there will be top talent available where we pick.

Lots of needs for a 11-5 team.

We need to be major players in FA. I'm not a Laurinitis fan myself.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BamaFalcon, I still don't see how you think that a WR can even be considered a need. Jenkins got 50 yards today and is an effective possession #2 and Roddy got 80 and a TD today. give us a RT in FA and we have our OL set, give us a TE in the dradft and the offense is set.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could basically use anything on our defense. A DE. A DT. A LB. A S. I think we are okay at CB.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
We need to be major players in FA. I'm not a Laurinitis fan myself.
I wasn't a fan when he was top 10. But if we can get him past pick 20 I will take it. He'd fit our scheme with his coverage ability.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

Preo32 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Really, i think we need a guard, a DE, a DT and an OLB.... those I think are more important than anything else. Peelle isnt a bad TE... Radar isnt good, but Peelle does it. And with Pollard as a, what i though, reliable (fumbled on the only play i saw him catch the ball). I personally think we need to use Norwood more as a runner and receiver. maybe a safety or DB after those other needs as well

Atlanta Falcons
Preo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wasn't a fan when he was top 10. But if we can get him past pick 20 I will take it. He'd fit our scheme with his coverage ability.

I'm just not a fan at all. He reminds me quite a bit of our current Brooking.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'm just not a fan at all. He reminds me quite a bit of our current Brooking.
Maybe in the lack of run stuffing.

But Laurinitis is much, much more athletic than Brooking. And better in coverage.

Maybe similar to Brooking of 2004, but not now. Brooking is now beyond ineffective.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Maybe in the lack of run stuffing.

But Laurinitis is much, much more athletic than Brooking. And better in coverage.

Maybe similar to Brooking of 2004, but not now. Brooking is now beyond ineffective.

James is always late to plays and racks up tackle stats because he's "the guy" there. That reminds me a lot of Brooking. He is much more athletic and better in coverage. Still, it's not really for me.

Right now, I'm pretty set on Michael Johnson. I haven't seen a ton of GT, but I have a friend who says the big reason Johnson doesn't have big sack numbers due to the poor coverage of their team so a lot of quick drops are put in. He might just be a homer though. He granted that he's a poor run stuffer, but we just really need a pass rush at this point. I just pray that we will make one big FA splash. I'm looking at it, and I wouldn't cry if our offense stayed the same. We just need a TE. I can live with this OL despite their terrible performance today. Dahl and Clabo should come back at reasonable prices, and Clabo is very good.

If Ryan can get a big year 1 to 2 jump like Manning, we will be much better off not having to rely on Turner all the time. As I said, I'm starting to grow on Jenkins alot, and Roddy is already awesome.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

you know, Keith Brooking isnt all the blame for this game. I am still pissed off at his terrible play, but had we stopped them and gotten the ball back, we still needed to score. Hell, if we got the ball back, we'd all probably be trying to run Michael Turner out of town or something

Brooking lead the team in total tackles, so he isnt bad.... unfortunetly, he had no picks, sacks, or forced fumbles, which is what you like to see from players

if he leaves, i wont be too upset. Never been a big fan, but he isnt as bad as we are all saying. With that said, i dont want Laurinitis

Atlanta Falcons
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

and by tackles i meant solo and assisted together... cuz otherwise he doesnt lead the team. Really, Brooking isnt a need anymore. I think a lot of people will see this season as a bad one for him, and want to move on with a new linebacker. I am a Michael Boley fan... but whats gonna happen with him??

Atlanta Falcons
Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
James is always late to plays and racks up tackle stats because he's "the guy" there. That reminds me a lot of Brooking. He is much more athletic and better in coverage. Still, it's not really for me.

Right now, I'm pretty set on Michael Johnson. I haven't seen a ton of GT, but I have a friend who says the big reason Johnson doesn't have big sack numbers due to the poor coverage of their team so a lot of quick drops are put in. He might just be a homer though. He granted that he's a poor run stuffer, but we just really need a pass rush at this point. I just pray that we will make one big FA splash. I'm looking at it, and I wouldn't cry if our offense stayed the same. We just need a TE. I can live with this OL despite their terrible performance today. Dahl and Clabo should come back at reasonable prices, and Clabo is very good.

If Ryan can get a big year 1 to 2 jump like Manning, we will be much better off not having to rely on Turner all the time. As I said, I'm starting to grow on Jenkins alot, and Roddy is already awesome.
Michael Johnson really doesn't get much pass rush. He lacks moves of any sort. The one reason I wouldn't mind him is that Abraham knows every move in the book and Johnson has the tools to execute them.

I can live with our offensive line, but I think Dahl overachieved and McClure is upgradable.

Matt Ryan will be fine. I expect a jump, but not like Manning's. I think he will have a 90-95 passer rating next season, but the big difference should be passing attempts. If Turner is not doing well we should be able to lean on him. At times (late in each half) we did that and he did well. But he wasn't doing good when we would run on first and second down and give him third and eight.

Give him shots to make plays.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preo32 View Post
and by tackles i meant solo and assisted together... cuz otherwise he doesnt lead the team. Really, Brooking isnt a need anymore. I think a lot of people will see this season as a bad one for him, and want to move on with a new linebacker. I am a Michael Boley fan... but whats gonna happen with him??

He's been AWFUL in the run stop department. And I mean awful. The turnaround on him was just terrible to watch. He went from being a fast physical linebacker to someone who cannot shed a block to save his life.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
you know, Keith Brooking isnt all the blame for this game. I am still pissed off at his terrible play, but had we stopped them and gotten the ball back, we still needed to score. Hell, if we got the ball back, we'd all probably be trying to run Michael Turner out of town or something

Brooking lead the team in total tackles, so he isnt bad.... unfortunetly, he had no picks, sacks, or forced fumbles, which is what you like to see from players

if he leaves, i wont be too upset. Never been a big fan, but he isnt as bad as we are all saying. With that said, i dont want Laurinitis
That is why I like Laurinitis. He gets a lot of criticism for his ability to shed blocks, but he does make plays. And on defense we lack playmakers.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He's been AWFUL in the run stop department. And I mean awful. The turnaround on him was just terrible to watch. He went from being a fast physical linebacker to someone who cannot shed a block to save his life.
He can cover now, but I agree his run prowess has decreased.

I blame it on the coaching staff. His weight dropped from like 245 to like 225. Big difference for one season.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is why we have Thomas Dimitroff boys. Look at how we ended last season as compared to this season and what changes we were looking at then. We've got some holes to fill, but I trust Dimitroff will get the job done. He'll find at least 3 Hall of Famers and 5 Pro Bowlers in the draft, we'll be fine. Guys I'm looking at in the first couple of rounds that could fall to us:

G- Herman Johnson- LSU
OT-Michael Oher- Miss
TE- Brandon Pettigrew- OKSt
DE- Will Davis- Illinois
DT- B.J. Raji- BC
OLB- Clint Sintim- UVA
CB- Alphonso Smith- Wake Forest
S- William Moore- Mizzo

We've still got a ways to go, but these are just some names to think about.
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I really wouldn't mind Milloy back. Can we upgrade him? Sure. But he certainly wasn't as bad as someone like Brooking, and appears to be one of our main leaders. I was actually quite impressed with him for most of the season.

Brooking needs to go. I share some sorrow as he really was a great Falcon and a leader, but he's just awful. This isn't overreacting either, this has been an entire year of pure suck.

I'd be interested in bringing Boley back. I don't think he's going to get a huge contract now, and I can't ignore his 2007. It's worth a shot. I could see him having zero desire to come back though. We shall see. If he gets too pricey, I 'd have to cut ties.

Koenen should be back. Very valuable player. Chanucey Davis should be back. Solid backup. Foxworth back as well, but there are some attractive secondary options. If he is let go and we upgrade, it's understandable. I think he's worth bringing back. Grady Jackson as a ___ and short specialist/goaline player is another thing I'd be cool with. Clabo is someone who is a must in my mind, and I could live with a cheap deal on Dahl.

My FA Targets: CB Nnamdi Asomugha, DT Albert Haynesworth (unrealistic), LB Karlos Dansby, TE Owen Daniels, LB Leroy Hill, OG Mike Goff, OT Vernon Carey.

Draft Targets: DE Michael Johnson, DT BJ Raji, TE Jermaine Gresham, OG Duke Robinson, DE Larry English, CB Vontae Davis, DE Everette Brown, DT Peria Jerry, DE Greg Hardy

Last edited by ATLDirtyBirds : 01-04-2009 at 09:37 AM.
ATLDirtyBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Milloy (aside Brooking on that outrageous 3rd-16 play) was probably the main reason we lost that game. I like him as a leader, but he cannot cover anymore. We also need a pass rush from someone other than John Abraham. The lack of production from the LDE position is atrocious. Davis, Anderson, Biermann, are all depth players at best.

The offense will get better by default, but we need a killer defense to reach the next level.

Last edited by Shiver : 01-04-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

Larry English is damn impressive. I saw him play at NIU a few years back when Garrett Wolfe was there and he has improved a lot. HE also went to a local private high school not too far from the high school I go to, so Id love to see somebody from where I live thats played great college ball in a small market school and possibly be a first round choice. Hell, Larry English in the mid 20s is way better than Jamaal Anderson at, what, 8?? I think we picked him cuz of a former Jamal Anderson...

As for some other draftees I like, Vontae Davis is another. my schools football team (im not on it) went to U of I in the summer and trained with the team for 2 days. A couple kids said they though Davis was wearing shoulder pads when he wasnt... and considering he has a freak-of-nature TE for a brother, he seems like he could be a great fit

A lot of those guys you mentioned are great, ATL.

Atlanta Falcons
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Id love to see somebody from where I live thats played great college ball in a small market school
just like michael turner.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope that we can attract free agents because of our up and coming status with Ryan, White, and Turner on the offensive side of the ball. Plus, Atlanta seems to be a place people prefer to live. With that, I hope we can lure Karlos Dansby, Owen Daniels, Leroy Hill (I would love him), and other free agents around that caliber.

TD has shown that he isn't scared to pursue a big guy in the offseason, and we definitely need to get some solid players through FA this time around.

I think Hill is an underrated player and wouldn't even have a massive contract (relatively). He seems to be a very viable option right now. The other guys seem out of reach. Who knows. Thats one thing I love about free agency; its unpredictability.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gear up for the off-season, we got a lot of work to do. There are just so many needs to fill, but we did well last year, and it should be easier this year. Only problem is that there is more pressure, nobody expected us to do what we did, now they do and it's just added pressure. Free agents like Michael Turner will be easier to nab because we're a playoff team now. After our turnout this season, i have complete trust in our FO.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Milloy (aside Brooking on that outrageous 3rd-16 play) was probably the main reason we lost that game. I like him as a leader, but he cannot cover anymore. We also need a pass rush from someone other than John Abraham. The lack of production from the LDE position is atrocious. Davis, Anderson, Biermann, are all depth players at best.

The offense will get better by default, but we need a killer defense to reach the next level.
He can't really cover all that well, but he is what he is. He's a in the box safety. I wouldn't loose any sleep if we let him go, but he's a guy I wouldn't mind bringing back for another season.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I would rather give DeCoud a shot. He hits just as hard and has better athleticism.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I would rather give DeCoud a shot. He hits just as hard and has better athleticism.
Hasn't really caught my eye. He was a third rounder, so I could definitely see him getting a shot.