Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 11 Breakdown

Foreword:
Though I endevor to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases it’s just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break out Performer
As the weeks go on its getting harder and harder to find a break out performer so instead I’ll mention a player who’s beginning to come into his own. Ted Ginn was drafted 7th overall by the Miami Dolphins in a year where the draft was laden with more deserving talent. With the subsequent pathetic year and gutting of the franchise at the coaching and front office it was easy to understand why many members of the NFL community considered the move a monumental mistake, and though Ginn hasn’t exploded he’s beginning to show just how big of a weapon he can be in the NFL. Ginn has only realistically had one one hundred yard day (175 yards against Buffalo) but his 40+ yard dash on an end around and his ability in the return game have showcased quickness and a knack for getting away from defenders rarely seen the league. Critics of Ginn will cite his 500 receiving yards and 2 total touchdowns as cause for concern, but seeing as until recently the receiver position took a minimum of two to three complete seasons to develop gin is realistically right where he should be developmentally. I doubt it will happen this season, but Ginn is developing into a game changing playmaker and figures to be a staple on the dolphins unit.

Coaching Comments
After shocking most of the NFL with a resounding win over the Washington Redskins with Jim Haslett at the helm it appears that the St Louis Rams and their head coach have well and truly come crashing back to earth with the 35-16 defeat at the hands of San Francisco. Though clearly suffering from injuries and lack of talent on defense the Rams were beaten in every phase of the game and it was clear that coaching was a part of the problem. With millions in free agents and high draft picks up and down the defense one has to wonder when the team will live up to their pay grade. Haslett, though a decent defensive coordinator, is clearly not the answer at head coach for the franchise.

QB Watch
I realise Bill Belichick has assembled a mega talented offensive supporting cast and he’s undoubtedly been able to make game plans that are tailored to his strengths but Matt Cassel is making himself a heck of a lot of money this season. Right now, there really is no downside for a team who is looking for a future starting quarterback to take a long hard look at Matt Cassel. Standing at six four, 230 pounds Cassel stands tall in the pocket and isn’t easy to bring down, he’s shown some good athleticism outside the pocket and his arm is clearly good enough to make all the throws (anyone else hate that cliché?). His 65% completion rate is what I find most impressive considering Tom Brady has only ever surpassed that mark once in his career. While I’m not really comparing the two and Cassel is far from a sure thing as a free agent consider this, he’s 26 years old and has spent 4 years under Bill Belichick and Tom Brady and is at least capable of being a winner and leader to a team, there’s not a lot in his game that should turn team’s away.

Rookie Watch
See Below

Homer Corner
Three Carolina Panthers’ rookies made massive impacts in Sunday’s win over Detroit. Stewart as part of the self named Smash and Dash backfield made his presence felt early and often to the tune of 15 rushes for 130 yards. Jeff Otah started his fifth game at Right Tackle and was flat out dominant against a backup left defensive end, watch for his key block in the fourth quarter DeAngelo Williams touchdown, he’s the one driving two players into the end zone. Finally, Charles Godrey the third round pick, former cornerback who has been a revelation at free safety for the Panthers record his first career interception when he picked off a fourth quarter Dante Culpepper pass sealing the Lions fate. Without the play of these three the outcome could’ve been very different.

That being said, Jake Delhomme has to step up his game coming into the final six weeks of the schedule, with three divisional clashes and then the games against a resurgent Green bay, Denver and New York Giants a passing game free from inane mistakes will be pivotal to securing the division.

Other Stuff

With six weeks to go here are my final predictions
NFC North: Green bay Packers
NFC East: New York Giants
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals
NFC South: Carolina Panthers
Wildcard: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC East: New York Jets
AFC West: Denver Broncos

AFC South: Tennessee Titans
Wildcard: Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts

Last edited by BlindSite : 11-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bump due to edit

Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well not sure if you read the other thread, but i disagree on Cassel. I don't think he's very good at all. put him on a team that would need a qb in the offseason, and chances are he'd suck.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a believer in Cassell myself. No need to keep going tho. Props to Cassell, he did indeed make himself a ton of cash this season.

Now, on to your predictions......how exactly do u think the Bills pull a WC out of their ass?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite;1317492 [B
Other Stuff[/b]
With six weeks to go here are my final predictions
NFC North: Green bay Packers
NFC East: New York Giants
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals
NFC South: Carolina Panthers
Wildcard: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC East: New York Jets
AFC West: Denver Broncos

AFC South: Tennessee Titans
Wildcard: Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts
Ill give you some points for having us pull out of the NFC North but where do the Patriots go? Bills don't make the playoffs. Theyre destine to be average forever, no matter how good or bad they start.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way Bills make the playoffs after last night. I'm expecting the Ravens or Pats to land that spot.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Indianapolis and whoever wins the next Miami-New England game are the AFC wildcards both with 10 wins. I think the Ravens win 9. I think Washington bounces back and makes the playoffs too.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ravens>Bills...we have a tough schedule, but we will be in contention for that last wild card spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Additional Week 11 Thoughts

The Browns have a mammoth front line, headlined by none other than Shaun Rogers. He can be beastly, a 400-lb. load like him shouldn't have the agility he can flash on occassion.

But emphasis on those big bodies. Probably moreso than any other 3-4 defense in the league, they can really get worn down and tired - especially in the second and fourth quarter of games, as we just saw against the Bills.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

I like the Bills and I like Edwards. What needs to happen for them though is Lynch needs to step up his game. Keep in mind this was written before their performance against the browns.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I like the Bills and I like Edwards. What needs to happen for them though is Lynch needs to step up his game. Keep in mind this was written before their performance against the browns.
i like Edwards alot and he played great at the beginning but that is slowing down fast. The line hasnt played very well and they need alot more production from Lynch and if they get that, they can compete for that last WC spot. I like the Bills, hope they can pick it up.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Pb&j
Rookie

Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The Browns have a mammoth front line, headlined by none other than Shaun Rogers. He can be beastly, a 400-lb. load like him shouldn't have the agility he can flash on occassion.

But emphasis on those big bodies. Probably moreso than any other 3-4 defense in the league, they can really get worn down and tired - especially in the second and fourth quarter of games, as we just saw against the Bills.

I think their problem is that they have no linebackers other than D'Qwell Jackson, and Jackson is more of a chaser than a thumper in the middle. Put Aaron Curry in there next to him and I am willing to bet that run defense gets shored up quite a bit... now, if only they had some pass rushing OLBs.
Pb&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had positive regard and hopes for Trent Edwards, but after last night, I'm just not sure anymore. He's made stupid mistakes in games ... but last night Edwards became paralyzed and awful, and honestly I'm wondering if he'll fully recover.

Makes me think back to Grossman against the Cardinals on MNF '06, now that I think about it, although that was Sexy Rexy continuing to make mistakes. I don't think he ever really overcame that, from a confidence and trust standpoint.

At least Edwards won't have the media getting on him like sharks, given the lack of national recognition compared to the '06 Bears.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I had positive regard and hopes for Trent Edwards, but after last night, I'm just not sure anymore. He's made stupid mistakes in games ... but last night Edwards became paralyzed and awful, and honestly I'm wondering if he'll fully recover.

Makes me think back to Grossman against the Cardinals on MNF '06, now that I think about it, although that was Sexy Rexy continuing to make mistakes. I don't think he ever really overcame that, from a confidence and trust standpoint.

At least Edwards won't have the media getting on him like sharks, given the lack of national recognition compared to the '06 Bears.
To be honest I never put THAT much stock in one performance, especially after the stellar ones he has had. For a QB in just his second year he's been pretty good up until his last three games.

Like I mentioned the run game needs more production, more regularly. Lynch having his first 100 yard day just last night is not what "beast mode" was drafted for.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
To be honest I never put THAT much stock in one performance, especially after the stellar ones he has had. For a QB in just his second year he's been pretty good up until his last three games.

Like I mentioned the run game needs more production, more regularly. Lynch having his first 100 yard day just last night is not what "beast mode" was drafted for.
That offensive line just isn't were it needs to be. Peters is having a terrible season and a lot of the interior guys have been banged up/not productive. They need an impact interior lineman in the draft and hopefully a center like Make to galvanize the talents on that line and create the holes marshawn needs to be the incredible runner he has the ability to be and to take pressure off Trent while building up the receiving corps. At the moment Evans is his only receiver who consistently can get open against man coverage, now hopefully Hardy will help change that but they could still use a high ceilinged guy like Tate on day two if they add an interior lineman and SLB on day one.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

I'm not saying that Lynch is solely to blame, but a bad offensive line is not really an excuse for lack of production, I mean Nick Goings got 6 one hundred yard games in a row one year with the panthers missing a tackle, centre and 2 offensive guards.

That said, I think Edwards is doing a remarkable job, despite the stat line for a QB in his second year getting very little support from everyone and only having one legitimate receiving threat.