Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
qb - cowboys
rb - cowboys
wr - cowboys
ol - cowboys
dl - eagles
lb - cowboys
db - eagles
st - eagles
coach - eagles
You must be out of your damn mind.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't see the forest for your homerism here. This is a text book case of a fan simply over-valuing their border line vets and up-and-coming young players. You think its elitism, but really its just absolute disgust at your indefensible opinions. If you really want to argue that Curtis/Jackson/Brown/Baskett are better than any receiving corps including a HOFer and stud like TO--forget about the other good players paired with him--you should immediately have your NFLDC card revoked. Its simply pathetic.

Finally, you know somewhere between little and nothing about Hurd or Austin. Both have received very little opportunity because of the other playmakers that the Cowboys possess. But Hurd will be an excellent 2nd or 3rd option for a long time in this league, and if he ever gets a good opportunity I believe he will have at least a few 1000 yard seasons at some point in his career.

Austin, on the other hand, is a lot more raw, but also much more talented. He has the potential to be a #1 WR, but he also could flame out and be out of the league. In preseason, he was coming on strong before spraining his MCL. Of course, we have no idea how he will pan out, but right now I would take him miles ahead of Baskett, based both upon upside/potential and production. We'll begin to see on Monday.

But I'm done trying to talk sense to you. I guess you'll just have to learn the hard way.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never even stated that the eagles have the better WR core, but if you take out the #1 receiver of each, I'd take the eagles. Sure I may not know a lot about Austin and Hurd, but it's pretty clear you don't know much about the eagles WRs either. I really can't take your opinion seriously considering some of the other things you have said such as Pacman being better than Sheppard, lets see your argument there.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, this really is gonna go nowhere. The only thing I will say is looking at production, the Eagles have the advantage. But like DSW said, the cowboy receivers lower on the depth chart have had less opportunity ( though with Glenn out last year they definitely should have had some). I say we just stop it now, and the game this weekend will not prove who's WRs are better, it will prove who's team, as a whole, played better.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Quote:
And I what's with the Cowboys DL hate? Jay Ratliff is better than Bunkley or Patterson. Chris Canty >>> Trent Cole. Spears is a stud run stuffer. It's close, and a matter of opinion, but it's not some huge travesty that they picked our DL over yours.
Jay Ratliff is better than Patterson or Bunkley? Ah, okay. Whatever your homerism tells you. And it's weird, but I could have sworn I saw Trent Cole and his 12.5 sacks at the Pro Bowl last year. Canty must have missed his flight. It absolutely is a huge travesty that they picked the Cowboys' DL. Canty can't hold Cole's jock. Patterson led all DTs in the league in tackles last year. Bunkley is superior to Spears.

Really? Dallas has a better defensive line? Uh, just see my argument to MetSox's ridiculous post.
Yes, Ratliff is better than Patterson or Bunkley. He is a better pass rusher and a better run defender. I think that covers it. Still, I don't entirely agree with MetSox post here. As players, Cole and Canty can't really be compared here. They play different positions entirely. But, honestly, do you really want to start bringing up Pro Bowls as evidence here? You know where that will lead. You can be smarter than that, c'mon.

Overall, Dallas' DL is primarily responsible to stop the run and push the pocket. Seeing as how Dallas and Philly were nearly identical against the run last year, I would say its fair to assume roughly equal ability in that phase.

If you're going to compare DLs, though, you have to try to match players with similar responsibilities. Seeing as how Dallas really has two players who share the responsibilities of one DE and one LB between them, we should take the combined pass rushing prowess of Ware and Ellis and divide by 2 to get the final piece of the DL puzzle for Dallas. That tips the scales in favor of the Cowboys. I will acknowledge that this one is close, but seeing as how Dallas was VASTLY superior at getting pressure on the QB last year, I'll have to take them for now.

Quote:
Wow, your homerism knows no bounds. Absolutely amazing. Austin had ZERO catches in his CAREER before this season. 0. Goose egg. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Let's compare these receivers from last year.

Austin: Nothing.
Hurd: 19/314/16.5/1

Baskett: 16/142/8.9/1
Brown: 61/780/4

Not to mention, Brown and Baskett have SIGNIFICANTLY better numbers over the course of their careers.
You want to use numbers? You really want to? Because this debate was initially sparked by your home boy there claiming that its not that far of a stretch to say that Philly WR> Dallas WR. Let's look at THAT comparison:

Dallas WR:

Owens: 81/1355/15
Crayton: 50/697/7
Hurd: 19/314/1
Total: 150/2366/23

Philly WR:
Curtis: 70/1110/6
Brown: 61/780/4
Baskett: 23/267/2

Total: 153/2157/12

So, all told, Dallas WRs posted over 200 more yards and a whopping ELEVEN TDs on less completions and FAR less attempts (I don't have the Scientific Football data here for attempts, but I am positive that Philly's WR got substantially more attempts thrown their way than Dallas' did). And all of this is without including Dallas TOP PASSING WEAPON (in terms of attempts), Jason Witten, who is--I assume--being excluded from this argument. Otherwise the debate would go from "patently ridiculous" to "farce" in the blink of an eye.

However, all of this also neglects the most important point. STATS ALONE AREN'T THE MEASURE OF QUALITY OR FUTURE PRODUCTION. That's why its not fair to try and compare two guys (Hurd and Austin) who got very little opportunity, with two guys who got tons of it (and I really like how you try to slip Brown's production as a co-#1--or at least #2--in as proof for him being the better player over a guy who was getting maybe 15 offensive plays a game; good form there) like Brown and Baskett did. Again, a team with Owens and Witten--two of the best to ever play their position--is going to get them the ball at the expense of other lesser players. Throw in Crayton--who was already gobbling up much of the leftovers--and there is next to nothing left for Hurd, let alone Austin.

Much of my opinions here are based upon simple observation. I have watched all players involved a ton. Brown looks like a solid option who will stick in the league, but those who hoped he would become a go-to guy for McNabb have to be disappointed. Baskett is barely in the league at this point. While Hurd is a good player who has a tireless work ethic and has improved consistently since coming into the league. Again, Austin is loaded with potential, and I think he has come far enough to where he will begin showing it this year.

*Shrug* I don't really care to get into an argument about 3rd and 4th options here, though. My point was simply that its not a no-contest here. I won't be mortally offended at someone claiming the Eagles 3rd and 4th being better than ours, but I will laugh at anyone saying that its a large gap. Let alone it being enough to account for the MAAAAASSSSIIIIIVVVVVEEEEE difference between TO/Crayton and Curtis/Jackson.

Maybe you should spend less time blindly taking sides with your boy and more time trying to prevent him from making a fool out of himself. Just sayin.

Except when he's not.

Quote:
Really? A corner who hasn't played in a year is better than Lito? Bull ******* ****. Lito kills the Cowboys. 8 of his 17 career picks have been against Dallas. That's almost half! He's a 2x Pro Bowl corner ('04, '06). Pacman? Not so much. Pacman isn't in Lito's league, let alone "miles ahead".Our combo of Asante Samuel (most INTs in the past two years), Lito Sheppard (see above) and Sheldon Brown is better than Terrence Newman (although he's really good), Anthony Henry and a guy who has played one game in the past year. Give me a break man. It's not even close.
So now we measure a player by how he plays against one team? Orly? So if I was talking to a St. Louis fan I could contend that Patrick Crayton is one of the best WRs in the league, based upon his 7/180/2 performance last year? That's fresh.

The bottom line is that Lito gets burned a ton. He's been good at times in his career, but he spends more time injured, complaining, or getting burned than he does playing good football. Last season he wasn't even playing like an NFL starter. So, yes, I would rather have a penitent and motivated Adam Jones--who has never had any injury issues and was borderline dominant in his last full season with Tennessee--than an overrated, injury-prone, and ego-inflated piece of toast. Call me funny.

As Sheldon and Henry is nearly even. I would be willing to give Sheldon the nod on the strength of Henry's injury problems.

As for Newman vs. Samuel...I think you guys are going to rue the day you gave him that contract. He gets beat enough to make him JAG unless he is making big plays back the other way. If those dry up, you can look forward to plenty of CUT ASANTE threads on your home board, trust me. This will just take time, so we'll wait. But even then, there is no arguing that Asante has been in Newman's league coverage-wise. The Ints are the only thing keeping it remotely close.

After that, Dallas has a 4th and 5th CB that could each start for a dozen teams in the league, and would instantly become the best nickel CBs on all but 3 or 4 teams in the league. Of course you don't realize this, but its the truth all the same. It will come to your attention eventually.

Quote:
Except Dawkins was hurt last year and played at a Pro Bowl level the year before. Hamlin can't hold a healthy Dawk's jock.
No, Dawkins wasn't "hurt", he started to break down. There's a difference. And the year before he DID NOT play at a PB level. The simple proof of that is the fact that he didn't make it. With his name recognition and status in the league, he certainly would have made it had he played up to it. Not to mention he just didn't. I watched, and he didn't.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really wanted to bust out some of my views, but I know that it will do nothing. We are all caught in the "homer forest". I'm sruprised none of the Eagles or Cowboy members have gotten suspensions/banned this week. Lots of tension in an important game with an intense rivalry.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Prince 561
Rookie

Prince 561 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
If you're going to compare DLs, though, you have to try to match players with similar responsibilities. Seeing as how Dallas really has two players who share the responsibilities of one DE and one LB between them, we should take the combined pass rushing prowess of Ware and Ellis and divide by 2 to get the final piece of the DL puzzle for Dallas. That tips the scales in favor of the Cowboys. I will acknowledge that this one is close, but seeing as how Dallas was VASTLY superior at getting pressure on the QB last year, I'll have to take them for now.
hahahahahahaha
Prince 561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

DSW, just stop please. I'm not saying this to be rude, but come on man, this is old, and you are reaking of stenchy, stenchy homer odor as bad, if not worse, than anybody right now. I will not comment on your last "Cowboy Bible", but I will discourage the other Eagles fans from doing so. I'm sure they will anyway, though.

It is a waste of your time Eagles fans, we won't be able to change his (or any other cowboy fans') opinion of their team, just like we won't have our opinions changed by them.

I will say this though DSW, you can't just add two LBs production (even if you split it in half) to the DL, but even if you are going to do that, you should at least take away what they do from the LBs then.

Last edited by eaglesalltheway : 09-12-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Absolutely you should. All I'm saying is that in order to make an apples to apples comparison, you must try to compare players who are doing the same types of things. Since Ware and Ellis combined spend about 40% of their times doing what most 4-3 LBs do, you should take how that 40% and compare it to other LBs, while taking the other piece of the pie and comparing it to DEs. Its not a perfect solution by a long shot, but it is the best alternative we have.

Also, while I am sure you are interpreting a lot of what I'm saying as homerism, I think you will see what I'm talking about in the coming months. Dallas secondary is not only better than Philly's, but there is a decent chance it will end up being the best of this decade. Again, that sounds like an extreme statement, but its something that I am confident in. Philly fans should be proud of their secondary, because it looks impressive as well. Just not on the same level as the Cowboy's.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Prince 561
Rookie

Quote:
Dallas secondary is not only better than Philly's, but there is a decent chance it will end up being the best of this decade.
Opinion duly noted and discarded.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Dallas secondary is not only better than Philly's, but there is a decent chance it will end up being the best of this decade. Again, that sounds like an extreme statement, but its something that I am confident in. Philly fans should be proud of their secondary, because it looks impressive as well. Just not on the same level as the Cowboy's.
Uhhh, you had to go there. We'll break this down, one by one for you.

Asante vs. Newman. These are two very good CBs, both are in the top ten in the leagues at their position. Asante is more of a playmaker historically, and has already shown that as an Eagle. He fits in the system and there are no worries about the transition. He was heard from three times last week that is it, and you know what those three times were? Pass deflections. Newman is a great cover corner, no doubt, and he sticks do his man like glue. He improved on his playmaking ability last year but still historicall, nowhere near Asante.

Advantage: Asante

Sheldon vs. Henry. Both more of the physical style CB and both are above average CBs in the NFL. They are eqaul in coverage. Sheldon is a monster in run support, but Henry isn't in on nearly as many run plays. I don't know if it is because of Roy coming in and taking plays away from him but for whatever reason, Henry doesn't have the balance to his game that Sheldon does. Plus, there is no debating Sheldon hits harder (and smart) than any other CB, let alone Henry.

Advantage: Sheldon

Lito vs. Jones. Both are very talented CBs and both are dnagerous with the ball inthere hands. Yeah Lito's been injured, but he has played more than Pacman in the last year, so both of those are negated, if you want to look at it that way. When Lito is healthy and Pacman is back into his normal rythym, both are very good CBs, and I agree Jones had a great season his last year in Tenessee. But Lito is one of the gamebreaking CBs when he is healthy. Lito is healthy and he is back. Jones is back and he is behaving, but right now, Lito is still the better overall CB.

Advantage: Lito

I'm not going to even get into the 4th and 5th CBs for many reasons. For one they have little impact in the game besides special teams, and two they aren't on the field much at all. But you saying that any of your palyers are great just not given the chance is like saying Tyson Thompson would have gone to the Pro-Bowl given the chance.

Dawkins vs Hamlin. Dawkins, despite losign a step or two, is still an elite safety in this league. Hamlin is also a very good all around safety, but he is a natural SS, that is where he played in Seattle, and that is where he would play for Dallas if it weren't for Roy Williams. He has the speed and athletecism though to make up for his experience as a FS. Yes Dawk has lost a step, but there is no doubting that he was a whole flight of steps ahead of Hamlin at this time last year. Dawk went down some, and Hamlin went up some. But Dawk still covers nearly as good as he did two years ago, hits just as hard, and supports the run very well. Hamlin is good in coverage and supports the run well, but he doesn't hit like Dawk.

Advantage: Neither, it is even.

Mikell vs. Williams. Mikell has come on strong in the last few years, and has shown that he can be a great SS. Roy Williams (one of my favorite players in the NFL, believe it or not) has sort of faded away in the last few years. Always a monster in run support, Williams has the advantage there easily, but that doesn't mean Mikell is poor in those situations. He would come in for running situations last year, and has shown that he is very good against the run, albeit not to the calibut of Roy Williams. But Mikell is much better in coverage than Roy, and there is no debating that. Mikell sticks to his man as well as some of the best SSs in the league, he just doesn't have the big playmaking ability in terms of INTs. He will lay the hit though, just like Roy. It is no question that Roy is a big weakness in coverage and Mikell is very good in coverage. Overall, Mikell makes up for his loss in the running game with his play in the passing game.

Advantage: Mikell

That 4 out of the five major contributors being better than yours, and one of them is a draw.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on DMW, read what you're saying in this thread: 'There is no possible argument', 'Greatest secondary in a decade'...these are clear symptoms of high grade homerism, and I would recognize them. Take it down a notch and let your team do the talking.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, you make me out to be such a big homer and say crap like
Quote:
You can't see the forest for your homerism here
Quote:
its just absolute disgust at your indefensible opinions
Quote:
you should immediately have your NFLDC card revoked. Its simply pathetic.
Then proceed to say one of the most homerish statements I've ever seen on these boards. Whether you admit it or not you're just an arrogant d-bag that treats his own opinion as fact and you think all other fans, especially those of a divison rival, all are clueless idiots.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Come on DMW, read what you're saying in this thread: 'There is no possible argument', 'Greatest secondary in a decade'...these are clear symptoms of high grade homerism, and I would recognize them. Take it down a notch and let your team do the talking.
Actually, I said that I wasn't going to accept any arguments, but yeah, noted. Actually, it was only a form of rhetoric, they have a very good secondary as it stands now, and there certainly could be an argument made. My point was, though, that I think Dallas clearly is better. That is defensible in a lot of ways, but I agree that I've used very strong language here. Mostly, I just strongly believe that this is the beginning of something very special in Dallas this year, and I want stick my neck out there to back it up. The great thing is that, to quote Parcells, "the game tells you what you are." By the end of the season, we'll see who was right and who was the homer here.

As for

Quote:
Then proceed to say one of the most homerish statements I've ever seen on these boards. Whether you admit it or not you're just an arrogant d-bag that treats his own opinion as fact and you think all other fans, especially those of a divison rival, all are clueless idiots.
I am more than willing to acknowledge a person's opinions who make any sense. I just don't have much patience for the kind of idiocy you were spewing. Most people just move on and ignore it. But I would love for you to take your little argument on the quality of your WRs to the board and ask them what they think of it. Then you'll find out that what I'm telling you is par for the course.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Plus, there is no debating Sheldon hits harder (and smart) than any other CB, let alone Henry.
I just have to ask, have you ever seen Marlin Jackson or Kelvin Hayden play? Since we're being homers here...

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Eagles WR are not on par with the cowboys, they're solid, but not even top 20 in the league.

As for the DBs Newman is clearly the best corner amongst the teams in man coverage, but asante's the best zone corner on either team. Pacman has the ability to be better than Lito but has to prove it first, however Sheldon is significantly better than Henry even if he isn't the playmaker henry is. Dawk is better than Hamlin even though he was banged up and Mikkell isn't as terrible as roy. So I've got philly by a smidge but it's too close to call. As for the Dlines Philly's much better on the inside and Cole does his job as well as Canty does his, a littlebetter actually but it's close. Spears is just solid and same can be said for abiamiri at this point.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
I am more than willing to acknowledge a person's opinions who make any sense. I just don't have much patience for the kind of idiocy you were spewing. Most people just move on and ignore it. But I would love for you to take your little argument on the quality of your WRs to the board and ask them what they think of it. Then you'll find out that what I'm telling you is par for the course.
I love how you continue to tell me to ask other people's opinions, when you have more people telling you that you are being a homer than me. Why don't you make a thread saying you believe the cowboys have the best DBs in the last decade and see how that turns out? I have said multiple times the cowboys WRs are better, but you are giving the eagles WRs too little credit. That's my main issue here. If they are all completely healthy, they definitely COULD be in the top 20 of the league, that's all I said but for some reason you are making it out like I said the eagles have the best WRs in the league.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Uhhh, you had to go there. We'll break this down, one by one for you.

Asante vs. Newman. These are two very good CBs, both are in the top ten in the leagues at their position. Asante is more of a playmaker historically, and has already shown that as an Eagle. He fits in the system and there are no worries about the transition. He was heard from three times last week that is it, and you know what those three times were? Pass deflections. Newman is a great cover corner, no doubt, and he sticks do his man like glue.
Advantage: Asante

Sheldon vs. Henry. Both more of the physical style CB and both are above average CBs in the NFL. They are eqaul in coverage. Sheldon is a monster in run support, but Henry isn't in on nearly as many run plays. I don't know if it is because of Roy coming in and taking plays away from him but for whatever reason, Henry doesn't have the balance to his game that Sheldon does. Plus, there is no debating Sheldon hits harder (and smart) than any other CB, let alone Henry.

Advantage: Sheldon

Lito vs. Jones. Both are very talented CBs and both are dnagerous with the ball inthere hands. Yeah Lito's been injured, but he has played more than Pacman in the last year, so both of those are negated, if you want to look at it that way. When Lito is healthy and Pacman is back into his normal rythym, both are very good CBs, and I agree Jones had a great season his last year in Tenessee. But Lito is one of the gamebreaking CBs when he is healthy. Lito is healthy and he is back. Jones is back and he is behaving, but right now, Lito is still the better overall CB.

Advantage: Lito

I'm not going to even get into the 4th and 5th CBs for many reasons. For one they have little impact in the game besides special teams, and two they aren't on the field much at all. But you saying that any of your palyers are great just not given the chance is like saying Tyson Thompson would have gone to the Pro-Bowl given the chance.

Dawkins vs Hamlin. Dawkins, despite losign a step or two, is still an elite safety in this league. Hamlin is also a very good all around safety, but he is a natural SS, that is where he played in Seattle, and that is where he would play for Dallas if it weren't for Roy Williams. He has the speed and athletecism though to make up for his experience as a FS. Yes Dawk has lost a step, but there is no doubting that he was a whole flight of steps ahead of Hamlin at this time last year. Dawk went down some, and Hamlin went up some. But Dawk still covers nearly as good as he did two years ago, hits just as hard, and supports the run very well. Hamlin is good in coverage and supports the run well, but he doesn't hit like Dawk.

Advantage: Neither, it is even.

Mikell vs. Williams. Mikell has come on strong in the last few years, and has shown that he can be a great SS. Roy Williams (one of my favorite players in the NFL, believe it or not) has sort of faded away in the last few years. Always a monster in run support, Williams has the advantage there easily, but that doesn't mean Mikell is poor in those situations. He would come in for running situations last year, and has shown that he is very good against the run, albeit not to the calibut of Roy Williams. But Mikell is much better in coverage than Roy, and there is no debating that. Mikell sticks to his man as well as some of the best SSs in the league, he just doesn't have the big playmaking ability in terms of INTs. He will lay the hit though, just like Roy. It is no question that Roy is a big weakness in coverage and Mikell is very good in coverage. Overall, Mikell makes up for his loss in the running game with his play in the passing game.

Advantage: Mikell

That 4 out of the five major contributors being better than yours, and one of them is a draw.
LOL, i love how you call someone out on their homerism, then proceed to make ridiculously homerish statements.

Quote:
He improved on his playmaking ability last year but still historicall, nowhere near Asante.
You're kidding. I know you are. You just said that to get a rise out of Cowboys fans. Newman is the best cover corner in the game. The fact that Samuel is riskier in coverage to make picks, makes him "historically" better than Asante? LOL.

There is only one draw in the matchup of DB's here, and that's in Henry and Brown. They're both good, to very good, with both being very good in run support. The fact that we have Roy Williams still taking a lot of tackles from other guys is what makes a difference in your assessment, cause i'm sure all you did was look at tackle stats and just figured Brown was better, cause he had a few zomgz hits on RB's.

Quote:
Plus, there is no debating Sheldon hits harder (and smart) than any other CB, let alone Henry.
Really? How did you come to that conclusion? I'm sure it had nothing to do with the TWO tackles he had on runningbacks that weren't even looking his way yet after leaving their feet to catch a pass.

Quote:
Hamlin is good in coverage and supports the run well, but he doesn't hit like Dawk.
I'd love for you to stop talking about guys you don't watch play. Please. He doesn't hit like Dawk? Did you even watch Cowboys games last year? He was arguably the best DB we had, and that's saying something with Newman in our backfield as well.

Quote:
Yes Dawk has lost a step, but there is no doubting that he was a whole flight of steps ahead of Hamlin at this time last year.
At this time last year? Was that when he missed 5 games plus a bye week? I find it hard to believe he was better than him last year when he was sitting in his couch at home licking his wounds. And he had a whole 9 tackles in the three games he did actually play prior to week 10. Yeah, he was "a whole flight of steps ahead of him" LOL.

Roy Williams, who cares about him. He doesn't even play in pass situations, so it's hard to knock that against him. By default Mikell is better in coverage, because Williams doesn't DO coverage.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Really? How did you come to that conclusion? I'm sure it had nothing to do with the TWO tackles he had on runningbacks that weren't even looking his way yet after leaving their feet to catch a pass.
You don't watch many eagles games do you? Seriously you people act like you are just as knowledgeable about our team as us.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cowboys have a top 3-4 WR corps? that's news to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Prince 561
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
The Cowboys have a top 3-4 WR corps? that's news to me...
They also have the best secondary in the past decade. Unfortunately neither was good enough to win a playoff game last season.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
You don't watch many eagles games do you? Seriously you people act like you are just as knowledgeable about our team as us.
Well what a coincidence, i could say the same thing about you all.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Well what a coincidence, i could say the same thing about you all.
It's not the same thing, you say the only 2 great hits Sheldon has made in his career were the ones on Bush and Jackson, but you probably haven't seen 95% of the games he's played in. When in reality they are the only 2 you know of because they both made the highlights. Technically yes you can say the same thing about everyone who talks down about a player on another team, but I just found what you said odd because you said it like you know those are the only 2 hits he's ever made.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Eagles have the better secondary. While Newman is better than Samuel, Samuel is still a stud. Ill take Lito and Brown over Jones/Henry/or Jenkins any day. Jones is still rusty, Jenkins is just a rookie, and Henry is over the hill. Theres no way any combination of that trio is better than Brown and Lito.

Hamlin is solid, but I feel he's overrated, and Roy is terrible. Dawkins is on par with Hamlin since he lost a step, and Mikel is much better than Roy. Eagles are better in the secondary.

Dline is a draw to me. Dallas fans overrate Canty and Spears, and underrate Trevor Laws, Bunkley, and Patterson. Eagles fans overrate Cole, but underrate Ratliff.

Ware is Ware, and Ellis is still solid. Spencer is a stud in the making imo. But right here right now, its a draw. I don't like the front 3 of Dallas. I think its overrated outside of Ratliff.

Eagles have the best LB core in the East imo. The Cowboys have very pedestrian ILBs. Thomas provides experience and savy, and Im a huge fan, but like his counterpart James, is liable in coverage. Rushbackers are what they are, its hard to compare them to 4-3 OLBs, as far as run stuffing goes both teams are great on the outside, Philly has better coverage, and Dallas has better pass rushers. Its very difficult to compare bc of the scheme differences, but I like the overall balance of Philly's LB core better than Dallas.

To sum up the rest of my opinions, basically I feel that Philly has the better defense, Dallas has the better offense. Philly is gonna have a beastly defense, whereas, Im not as big of a believer in Dallas's defense as many others are. I still feel they can be had through the air. But Dallas makes their money on offense. They have an incredible offense. The best oline in the league this year possibly (unless the Pats play like they did last year).

Im really looking forward to this game. Its gonna be a brawl. I like the Eagles in a close game.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well BBD, I don't think Canty is overrated at all but he's probably underrated. He played well as a rookie, had a sophomore slump, but last year he was amazing. He can push the pocket and stop the run with his big arms and frame, and he can also put some pressure on the QB. He didn't have a lot of sacks last year but he was huge in applying pressure. Most of the times he looked like a man among boys.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is online now   Reply With Quote