Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince 561 View Post
They also have the best secondary in the past decade. Unfortunately neither was good enough to win a playoff game last season.
And last year's secondary has so much to do with this years... Jones, Jenkins, and Scandrick >>>>>>>>> Reeves, Nate Jones, Oglesby.

And people still act like the Cowboys lost to a bunch of scrubs. The Giants won the Super Bowl by beating an undefeated Pats team.

And T.O. was hurt for the playoff game as well with Glenn playing his first game of the season.
Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man gotta love these great NFC east debates.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread is going to be interesting after Monday night, gotta love it:D No need to even get involved in arguments that go in circles, everybody sees their team to the max potential.

I will chime in on the D-line argument, its too hard to really compare because the defenses are different, but I highly doubt many people outside of the ones who pay close attention to the Cowboys realize how underrated Jay Ratliff is and how important he is to the defense...For a guy to be undersized as a NT in the 3-4, in the last 2 years he's had 7 sacks, 9 tackles for loss, 5 pass breakups, not to mention how much he drops back into coverage with the versatility of a LB and can line up at DE and rush the passer...He's the unsung hero, so anytime a DL conversation comes up I feel the need to mention his name.

I haven't seen nearly enough of Bunkley to act like I can choose between the two, but as far as DB's I give that nod to Philly, although I like our "potential" better...We have guys like Adam Jones(who needs to shake off the rust), Mike Jenkins(who is unproven but could turn into a lockdown type corner as most thought he had that skillset), and Orlando Scandrick(who quietly has outplayed Jenkins and balled like he has been the 1st rd pick, don't be surprised if he ends up our best corner from that draft).

Right now those guys are unproven and all hype so Philly gets the nod there, but at the end of the season it could easily be Dallas once we see some of these rookies play more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha yeah, someone's gonna want to serve up a big batch of crow on Monday night.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
And last year's secondary has so much to do with this years... Jones, Jenkins, and Scandrick >>>>>>>>> Reeves, Nate Jones, Oglesby.

And people still act like the Cowboys lost to a bunch of scrubs. The Giants won the Super Bowl by beating an undefeated Pats team.

And T.O. was hurt for the playoff game as well with Glenn playing his first game of the season.
Excuses like these and more can be found in the "How to stay arrogant without having won an important game in over a decade-2008 Dallas Cowboys edition"

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Excuses like these and more can be found in the "How to stay arrogant without having won an important game in over a decade-2008 Dallas Cowboys edition"
Thats so original, do you have any other compelling arguments against the Cowboys or is this the only you have in your back pocket to pull out whenever the Cowboys are brought into the discussion?

And please tell me what all those years where Romo wasn't the starting QB has to do with how this year will turn out? He's had 2 playoff games, one where he became the starter mid-season...He deserves some flack if he doesn't win one this year, but bringing up how we didn't make the playoffs when we had the likes of Drew Bledsoe, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Quincy Carter does nothing for your argument for 2008.

Yes we sucked those years, yes its been that long since a playoff game has been won, but it has nothing to do with the outcome of this season so whats your obsession with bringing it up?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Thats so original, do you have any other compelling arguments against the Cowboys or is this the only you have in your back pocket to pull out whenever the Cowboys are brought into the discussion?

And please tell me what all those years where Romo wasn't the starting QB has to do with how this year will turn out? He's had 2 playoff games, one where he became the starter mid-season...He deserves some flack if he doesn't win one this year, but bringing up how we didn't make the playoffs when we had the likes of Drew Bledsoe, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Quincy Carter does nothing for your argument for 2008.

Yes we sucked those years, yes its been that long since a playoff game has been won, but it has nothing to do with the outcome of this season so whats your obsession with bringing it up?
Yes, by bringing it up once shows a clear obsession. Little sensitive are we?

But, if you'd like to go there, who said anything about 2008? This is a discussion about, at least originally, what is perceived as a slight against how the Cowboys should be ranked. Which, by the way, is an absolutely ridiculous argument overall considering how much everyone is slurping the Cowboys despite not having really any track record to base that on.

How Cowboys fans can still say their team is underrated blows my mind. You are the Notre Dame of the NFL. Usually to be considered an elite team you have to have some sort of track record to go off of, not how high your team is ranked on Madden or how many stats you can put up in the regular season.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Yes, by bringing it up once shows a clear obsession. Little sensitive are we?

But, if you'd like to go there, who said anything about 2008? This is a discussion about, at least originally, what is perceived as a slight against how the Cowboys should be ranked. Which, by the way, is an absolutely ridiculous argument overall considering how much everyone is slurping the Cowboys despite not having really any track record to base that on.

How Cowboys fans can still say their team is underrated blows my mind. You are the Notre Dame of the NFL. Usually to be considered an elite team you have to have some sort of track record to go off of, not how high your team is ranked on Madden or how many stats you can put up in the regular season.

Well I'm not going to dispute what discussion you had on going with other Cowboys fans, but this is hardly the first time you've said anything about it being 10 years since the Cowboys haven't made the playoffs, I've read that multiple times from you in threads that are about the Cowboys so I was wondering what the relevance was.

And you say it is relevant on how we should be ranked, so again, we shouldn't be ranked as high because we didn't win a playoff game with Quincy Carter? Oh ok that makes more sense Me personally I don't feel we are underrated, if you want to lump Cowboy fans into one huge group of homers which is what you feel then fine by me, I have more sense to know to do that with any fan base.

Now as far as this "to be an elite team you have to have a good track record", so let me guess, this "track record" that you speak of just so happens to start after our last super bowl correct? So anything before that is irrelevant for some reason, why does it make sense for you to bring up those years where we had no franchise QB yet if somebody says something about a super bowl were "living in the past"...You can't just say we have no track record and then start counting years where it makes your argument fit.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Well I'm not going to dispute what discussion you had on going with other Cowboys fans, but this is hardly the first time you've said anything about it being 10 years since the Cowboys haven't made the playoffs, I've read that multiple times from you in threads that are about the Cowboys so I was wondering what the relevance was.

And you say it is relevant on how we should be ranked, so again, we shouldn't be ranked as high because we didn't win a playoff game with Quincy Carter? Oh ok that makes more sense Me personally I don't feel we are underrated, if you want to lump Cowboy fans into one huge group of homers which is what you feel then fine by me, I have more sense to know to do that with any fan base.

Now as far as this "to be an elite team you have to have a good track record", so let me guess, this "track record" that you speak of just so happens to start after our last super bowl correct? So anything before that is irrelevant for some reason, why does it make sense for you to bring up those years where we had no franchise QB yet if somebody says something about a super bowl were "living in the past"...You can't just say we have no track record and then start counting years where it makes your argument fit.
You're making this far more complicated than it really is. If you read comments made by DMW and others, you'd think the Cowboys have dominated the league for the last 4-5 years, instead of being completely irrelevant by the 1st or 2nd week of the playoffs at the latest. If you don't think this has some serious relevance you have your head buried completely in the sand.

There is without a doubt a higher degree of self-perception among Cowboys fans than any other fan base in the NFL. To make the Notre Dame comparison, this is applicable whether the team is good or not. Not in the same manner of course. But even when the Cowboys sucked, such and such was still the best player in the league (how long did it take before they realized Roy Williams was trash for example?) but now that they are ranked high by the national media it's to the point of being completely insufferable. A certain degree of homerism is quite fine and understandable, but when it gets to the point that Cowboys fans are blathering incessantly about how everyone is a homer, despite having really nothing to substantiate their own arguments in terms of what the team has actually done (which is a lot more important than what you think they will do), it gets really old.

In other words, it's usually a good idea to win something and then brag about it.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 09-13-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Like I was saying I don't have any problem with you calling out what another Cowboy poster said as being blatant homerism or whatever, you can go on and on about how arrogant our fans are or how the media is obsessed with the Cowboys because that really doesn't mean much to me...You still danced around my question of why our "track record" ironically starts the year after out super bowl, and why our ranking right now should have anything to do with what our team looked like 8 years ago.

It sounds like you have more of a personal grudge against the Cowboys, on paper you can make an argument for the Cowboys being the #1 team right now so whats the big deal? So what, were #1 in some power rankings that mean absolutely nothing as far as how the season will end...They don't make power rankings with 7 years ago in mind, and personally I could care less about those things, but its not some media conspiracy as your making it out to be...Pats lost Brady, Chargers lots Merriman and have key injuries elsewhere, Colts lost and Manning is still recovering, so on paper who should be the #1 team? It's not like you have to be a massive homer to pick Dallas, again it means nothing anyway so I hardly care about those things.

Like I've said all along I haven't defended any other Cowboys fans, and I wasn't disputing that, but your posts seem to have a genuine hate for the Cowboys in general when I'm looking at the matter from a subjective POV.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Since when am I making excuses? All I'm saying is that his argument which took the secondary into account has no justification because the personnel is completely overhauled from whatever was going on back there last season. The new players are definite upgrades... What's wrong with acknowledging that?
Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Since when am I making excuses? All I'm saying is that his argument which took the secondary into account has no justification because the personnel is completely overhauled from whatever was going on back there last season. The new players are definite upgrades... What's wrong with acknowledging that?
That's actually true, I should have quoted someone else. Fair enough.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Prince 561
Rookie

Prince 561 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Upgraded enough to be the "best secondary in the past decade"?
Prince 561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st, I said it "has a decent chance" to be the best secondary of the decade (meaning this decade we are in, not the previous 10 years), which of course is an acknowledgement of the fact that earning that status is a matter of showing on the field and not ranking based upon a subjective measurement of ones favorite team. A strong statement, to be sure, but not the "OMG
As for BF51....why so serious? Are you suggesting that only playoff games are games which have any meaning? What about the game on Sunday Night last year vs. your Bears? A game against the defending NFC Champs at their house which broke the will of a team that was--at the time--considered the favorite in the conference race? Not meaningful?

How about the game against the Eagles in the Linc, when they were boasting that "this division still comes through us", even though they were obviously an inferior team, with inferior players and an inferior record? Was that demolition meaningless?

What about the game against the Giants, when they were in the midst of a 6 game winning streak, and were starting to generate all the "this game could be for the supremacy in the NFC" talk? Wasn't going in and handling our business against them a big game?

Or the game against the Packers, when both teams were 11-1, and the winner was virtually assured of home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win? Is that not a big game?

Hmm, me thinks you are guilty of a little over-simplification here. Dallas has taken care of business in a lot of big games. The thing is, taking care of your business only makes allows you to get to that next game, which is even bigger. Had Dallas won a playoff game, and then lost in the NFC Championship, we would be fielding the same questions, only now the "big game" in question would be the conference championship and Romo and Co. wouldn't have what it takes to get their team over the hump and into the Super Bowl. Had we done that, it would then be the Super Bowl that would be the elusive "big game" and our QB and franchise would be unable to get the big win on the grandest stage, thus earning the tag of the biggest chokers.

It doesn't stop until you win it all. But, frankly, if Eli Manning plays the rest of his career without winning even ONE more playoff game, that will put him as O-fer in every single playoff game he has ever played in (since each of the first two playoff games he played in were complete debacles and he was horrible in both) EXCEPT for one magical run. Will people complain that he can't win the big one? No, because he did it once, so that suddenly means he is certified no matter what, right?

Brett Favre choked in LOADS of big games. He choked away a Super Bowl. He lost for years to Dallas in the playoffs, in ugly fashion. He sealed his career with an Int in OT that literally ended his team's season. Yet, is he all these things you say? No, because he won it once.

See how this makes no sense?

My point here is that all these labels and all this talk is ultimately meaningless. I can say what I want, you can say what you want, but the game tells you who you are. I just like to put myself on the line when I feel strongly about something BEFORE it becomes obvious to everyone else. Sometimes I look like a douche, and I'm down with that. If the time comes to do so, I can take my medicine. But if what I've been predicting comes to pass, then......then the bragging rights become even more sweet, because everything tastes a little better with some vindication on top, right?
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry I wasn't here to defned myself this weekend. Have crap I needed to do and wanted to play/watch some football. I think this will make up for my absence.

McNabb vs Dallas' coverage.

Advantage: McNabb. One of the top QBs in the NFL against a secondary that is succeptible to the pass. Its best player in Terence Newman is hurt and Travis henry usually underperforms in Eagles games. Pacman is a threat when he is on the field, but with Newman playing, his role will be decreased from last week, though we will se plenty of him. Hamlin is not in his natural position because of Roy Williams' dificulties with coverage, and as a result, both of those are positions Donovan and the Eagles receivers will be able to exploit. Dallas has a few LBs who are solid in coverage, but when you consider who they will be lined up against, (Westbrook, Booker, Jackson, on occasion) there are mismatches that will be capable of being exploited.

Eagles run game vs Dallas' front 7.

Advantage: Eagles. With one of the best RBs in the league and an O-line that is dominant against a solid front seven, this is a close matchup, but Philly has s slight edge. Dallas' LBs (most notably Zach Thomas) are not as good as they once were, though with the rest of their guys, such as Ware, this is still a solid group. Ware is known mostly for his pass rush, but like Thomas, is sokid against the run as well. Spears is a solid DE against the run, and Greg Ellis is a good OLB for the Cowboys, but what it comes down to are the matchups inside the matchups. Chris Canty will be lined up on Tra Thomas in most alignments, and this is a pretty even matchup. Jay Ratlif will be lined up on Jamaal Jackson, and will occasionally get help from either Herremans or Andrews. Jackson has the slight advantage in that head to head. And Spears will be up against Runyan. That is a good matchup as well, but favors Runyan, just a little bit. Dpending on how Jackson can handle Ratliff, we will se Andrews going out to the second level when he won't have someone lined up in front of him, though if Ratliff will be lined up on him or Herremans, Jackson will have the responsibiltiy of going out and blocking the LBs. Don't expect a huge day running the ball, but the Eagles have a slight advantage here.

Eagles pass protection vs Dallas' pass rush.

Advantage: Draw. Also a very close matchup, as Ware is a great pass rusher and Ellis is also capable of reachign the QB. The 3-4 algnment makes it more difficult to diagnose where pressure may be comign from, and may result in some miscommunication or misdiagnosis. Depending on the play, Thomas will have to slide out and pick up Ware on the blitz, while Herremans will take on Canty. Ware against thomas is a matchup that favors Dallas. I some cases, Herremans may be picking up an iside blizer or helping Jackson. Same goes for Andrews, he will help Jackson or Runyan or help pick up blitzers. Will also slide out onto Spears if Runyan has responsibilites for an outside blitzer. To be honest, I should probably put this as a draw. To those that read the topic before I edited it, my apologies, but the more I look at it the more even it seems.

Eagles receivers vs Dallas' coverage.

Advantage: Dallas. On paper, it isn't even close. They have thre Pro-Bowlers in that secondary and a great trio of CB. But as we all know, the game isn't played on paper. Roy hasn't deserved a Pro-Bowl for years, and Hamlin is playing out of his comfort zone (albeit not by very much) in FS, Hamlin should be a SS. Newman is a top 10 Cb in the NFL and Henry is a solid 2nd CB. Pacman is a young, talented CB who is better than many of us give him credit for. But once he gets the ball in his hands, he is dangerous, he brigns the return potential that neither Newman or Henry posess. But when you consider how they match up agianst the Eagles and the style we play, it makes the matchup closer than how it looks on paper. DeSean is young and talented and the only omember of Dallas' secondary who has a chance of keeping with him is Pacman. But Dallas, like the Eagles, plays a ton of zone coverage, especailly when Williams is in, mostly to mask his lack of coverage abilties. We have a bunch of WRs who are good at finding holes in zones. With the speded of Jackson, and with what the rest of our other WRs bring to the table agianst the Cowboys, our WRs will have the opportunity to take advantage of the Cowboys defenders' weaknesses.

Tony Romo vs Eagles' coverage

Advantage: Draw. As much as most Eagle fans hate to admit it, Tony Romo is a very good NFL QB. Fortunately for us, we have a great coverage unit to combat it. He also has the capability to run when he feels he needs to, and I have a feeling he may be doing more running than he wants to this week. For the most part, Romo is a headsy QB, and takes what he deems as appropriate risks. Sometimes they come back to bite him, and sometimes they result in a great play for Dallas. I have a feeling we will see examples of both of those situations in this game. Our LBs are good in coverage and will be able to hold back (or at least diminish a bit) the receiving impact Barber could have. Lito will have TO and though Lito took advantage of Owens last year, this is a balnced matchup. Lito won't have tTO 100% of the time either though, so you have to keep that in kind. Asante and Sheldon will probably be spending a lot of time over Crayton and Witten.

Dallas run game vs Eagles' front 7

Advantage: Draw. This is a top 6 run defense from last year that is only getting betterm but dallas has a great RB in Barber and both Jones and Choice look to be good options. Dallas has one of the best (and biggest) O-lines in the league, which really helps their running efforts. But they are without their starting LG. Bunkley is very strong at the point of attack, and is able to hog up blockers like it is nobodies business. Cole is a balnced RDE despite hsi sack numbers, and that really shows how good of an overall player he really is. Patterson had over 100 tackles last year (along with Cole) and for a DT that is very impressive. Parker is a balnced DE and though he may not have a huge game, if he can do what he is supposed to, that will help the defense immesely. Plus we have Gocong and Bradley and Gaither wh are very solid against the run. Barber and the other RBs for Dallas may not have the type of success they are used to. Don't expect Dallas to get less than 40 yards rushing like we did to the Rams though.

Dallas' pass protection vs Eagles' pass rush

Advantage: Eagles.Though Dallas has a huge O-line that is regarded as one of the best, it can be exploited, and we have done it. (last year) Flozell Adams is at a disadvantage with Trent Cole, though both play very well against eachother. These two could have a game like Strahan and Runyan would have. One would beat the other, and then the next play, the other one would make a fool out of him. Andre Gurode is a good Center in the NFL, and Dallas is going to need him, especially with the injury to Kosier, he is going to need to help the LG Corey Proctor. Corey Proctor looks to fill the spot again this week and both Patterson and Bunkley will be able to take advantage of him in the pass and run games. Leonard Davis is is hefty guy at RG, but he doesn't have the quickness or lateral movement like Shawn Andrews. He is a leak in the dam for Dallas pass protection. Columbo and Parker will see a lot fo eachother, and this could be a good even matchup. I think what puts the Eagles over top (just barely) is the scheming by Johnson. I know Dallas has a coach trying to counteract the schemes JJ will brign out, but he just has too many weapons to use in our LBs and guys like Dawk, Q, and Brown. Adn what makes it easier is our LBs are great in coverage, so it will be difficult for Dallas to know where the pressure is coming from. We may even see some uncommon alignments in our defense.

Dallas' receivers vs Eagles' coverage

Advantage: Eagles. Though the Cowboys have two very big threats in TO and Witten, and another threat in Barber, what else do they really have? I'll tell you...Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd and Isaiah Stanbeck are their only other WRs. Miles Austin is out with an injury. Martellus Bennett, a rookie, is their only other threat at TE. Even so, he is a few years away from fulfilling potential and really making an impact. Felix Jones is a threat as well, and Choice to an extent, but if you look at it, TO, Witten, and Barber are their only threats. (Crayton is a solid option) Now look at our secondary... Asante, Lito, Sheldon, and Dawk are all very good. Q is good and in some situations, Considine is out on the field and has been impressive so far. Bradley is great in coverage and so is Gaither. Reed is a solid contributor. We have four great players (to Dallas' 3 receiving threat) and 3 good options coverage guys (to Dallas' 1) But Dallas will have a solid day passing, they have just enough weapons and some options to work with that we will not shut them down either. Witten and TO (specifically Witten) will need to be at least slowed down, but Romo is a good enough Qb that he will find some of the other options. We match up man on man well, but will be in a lot of zone coverages. Witten is good at finding the holes in the zone, so the advantage that seems heavily in the Eagles favor really isn't as big as it seems.

I'm not going to go too in depth in coaching or special teams. We all know that Reid is more experienced, and more successful than Phillips. It will be fun to see the young "hot shot" offensive coordinator in Jason Garrett and our "wiley old veteran" in JJ battling along the sidelines. Both teams have returners who can make things happen, but Dallas has a slight edge in ST coverage.

Matchup synopsis.
PHI-4 (Donovan, PHI running game, pass rush, and pass coverage)
DAL-1 (pass coverage)
Draw (meanign too close to give clear advantage, could go either way)- 3 (Eagles pass rush vs Dallas' pass protection, Romo vs Eagles coverage, and Dallas Rushing attack vs Eagles' Front 7)

Now here is where we combine these things to get a better idea of how the game will pan out...Our defense is a threat to put pressure on Romo, while our secondary is able to cover well. Dallas may be running the ball more than we expect, especially considering Barber is a great RB, and both Jones and Choice are promising rookies, especially Jones. Now Dallas' defense and our offense are very close, and if you combine the two groups, our offense vs their defense is a very equal matchup. Expect a balanced attack (in AR standards) on offense. The game will come down to line play, penalties, special teams, and luck. This will be a very close NFC East matchup, and you, just liek I are expecting a big win.

Take that however you want. I am done arguing this game.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow, i love when homers try and sound objective when analyzing a matchup. We'll see tonight how your "four advantages" work out for you.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow, i love when homers try and sound objective when analyzing a matchup. We'll see tonight how your "four advantages" work out for you.
Dude, I posted that on the Eagles team site, and Cowboy fans even told me it was a fair analysis. They said it was a little "convoluted" (to use their exact words). which it was, but they said they analysis was good.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't wait for this game. Not only is it gonna be an incredible game, but its also answer a lot of debates in this thread.

Not necessarily answer, thats a poor word, but it will at the very least establish some groundwork to base future statements off of.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I can't wait for this game. Not only is it gonna be an incredible game, but its also answer a lot of debates in this thread.

Not necessarily answer, thats a poor word, but it will at the very least establish some groundwork to base future statements off of.
Agreed. I have a friend who is a Cowboy fan who says that this game is going to be so good, he almost doesn't care who wins.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Agreed. I have a friend who is a Cowboy fan who says that this game is going to be so good, he almost doesn't care who wins.
as a Giants fan, im definitely interested to see this game as well. im sure Giant players and the coaching staff feel the same way. its a great game to get a lot of film study off of.

I think Dallas needs this win more than the Eagles do. I can't wait to see this game.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
as a Giants fan, im definitely interested to see this game as well. im sure Giant players and the coaching staff feel the same way. its a great game to get a lot of film study off of.

I think Dallas needs this win more than the Eagles do. I can't wait to see this game.
Yeah they have been hyped up so much, and if they lose that may do a bit of moral damage to the team because of that hype.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Yeah they have been hyped up so much, and if they lose that may do a bit of moral damage to the team because of that hype.
well losing this game would hurt Dallas for a couple of reasons.

1. Its their home game.
2. They play Green Bay next week, which makes that almost a must win game, you don't want to fall to 1-2 in this division.
3. If they lose, panic will start to rise in Dallas, and that adds unnecessary pressure and media drama to a team with a SB or bust train of thought right now.
4. Losing shows the rest of the country and Dallas themselves, that they are not as great as advertised, and that they are vulnerable. Right here right now Dallas has an arrogance to them that they are the team that the SB must be won through. Maybe theyre right, who knows, but as of right now its nothing but unfounded arrogance on their part. If they win, it only adds to their confidence, and perhaps establishes that they may be right in their arrogance.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How exactly can you say that the Cowboys are arrogant? Do you have anything to base that comment off of? Seriously? Is anyone going around talking smack about this season??
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
How exactly can you say that the Cowboys are arrogant? Do you have anything to base that comment off of? Seriously? Is anyone going around talking smack about this season??
How can you NOT say they are is the better question. And do we really need to pull up quotes? The Cowboys have been talking smack for a long time now. Don't think other NFC East teams forgot any of it. Like the Eagles team you guys are about to face tonight.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Do you get HBO?