Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for Reggie Bush, come on...please.

The guy was supposed to be a "sure thing" and without question the #1 pick in the draft right? He was supposed to be this dynamic explosive player right? The next Marshall Faulk? That was the comparison prior to the draft.

Well, where is it? He can't run for his life, his passes are overinflated by a scheme that force feeds him the rock, he's just not very good. He's the most overhhyped scatback the game has ever seen. Thats what Reggie Bush is. Period.

Chris Johnson in 2 games has shown me more "game changing" ability than Reggie Bush has in 2+ years. I don't see how you can't call him a bust, but at the very least, its in my eyes undebatable that he's a disappointment.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
It didn't take him 8 seconds to burn cromartie to the back right corner of the endzone.

I figured -- Cro on Marshall - no way cutler throws to him. Instead he shoulder fakes to the middle and drills the ball right over cro's head for a nice td.
Yeah, I don't think Cromartie expected it either. That was a great throw, I'm officially on Cutler's jock as much as anyone else. Cro admittedly didn't bring his A-game. I still think much more blame is on the front 7 than the secondary. It's not even close IMO.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say he is a bust because he still contributes to the offense. But he is a major disapointment. I remember a lot of Westbrook comparisons as well, and he isn' approaching Westy either.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
What do you think of Rivers and Cutler this year?
Ive said this since each of their rookie years and I still stand by this comment.

For Rivers, Ive had the qbs in that draft class rated in this order

1. Eli
2. Rivers
3. Ben

with the mention that all 3 are going to be incredible qbs, just that when the dust settles they will be ranked in that order, but all 3 will be great.

As for Jay Cutler, Ive always been a huge fan and think he'll be a franchise qb along with the big 3 from that draft class as the future qbs of the NFL. Jay Cutler is the only qb id consider (emphasis on consider) trading Eli for, and that says a lot coming from me.

Theyre both studs.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Last week I was thinking that the surgery had changed him and he had completely lost that burst he had before, but after yesterday's day game I think that maybe last week was just rust, or hesitancy to go all out after basically not playing in a real game in like 8 months. Yesterday he looked as sharp as ever, dropped back in coverage well and was there to chase down Reggie Bush and get in on every tackle. He's not where he was last year prior to injury but I think he is getting there. Gives me hope that he can still be a great NFL linebacker. The guy actually in the LB corps who impressed me the most was HB Blades who started in place of Marcus Washington. Last year he excited me a lot in preseason and special teams. I was real excited about his potential being taught by London Fletcher, and I still think he could be the next London Fletcher in the middle when he retires. But the thing that has shocked me throughout his NFL career and starting yesterday is his ability to play OLB. For a guy labeled too short and too slow he just is there to make every tackle no matter what position he plays, and held his own in coverage against Shockey. Coming in I thought he was a strictly MLB prospect who was probably going to be too slow and too much of a liability in coverage but the past two years he has been the top backup at all LB positions. The guy is a gamer. He might not ever get recognition in his career, but he flat out makes tackles.

I aint get to see the game yet how did laron look
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
As for Reggie Bush, come on...please.

The guy was supposed to be a "sure thing" and without question the #1 pick in the draft right? He was supposed to be this dynamic explosive player right? The next Marshall Faulk? That was the comparison prior to the draft.

Well, where is it? He can't run for his life, his passes are overinflated by a scheme that force feeds him the rock, he's just not very good. He's the most overhhyped scatback the game has ever seen. Thats what Reggie Bush is. Period.

Chris Johnson in 2 games has shown me more "game changing" ability than Reggie Bush has in 2+ years. I don't see how you can't call him a bust, but at the very least, its in my eyes undebatable that he's a disappointment.

Imagine if Mario's impact with the Texans was similar to Bush's on the Saints; like if he was a solid guy against the run who was good for 5-7 sacks a year. People would still be crucifying the Texans for taking him. Bush was the second overall pick. He's has not lived up to that pick, at the position that is supposed to be the easiest for a young guy to transition into. People are still way too big of apologists for him. He's getting a pass because he's not completely ******* terrible. He can catch swing passes and that's about it.

There's a number third down type backs in the league that have shown more game changing ability than Reggie Bush already. Deangelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw...the list goes on and on.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 09-15-2008 at 05:03 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weighing in on the Bush situation:

I'm sorry Reggie but you are what you are. I'm glad he's helping the team to some victories and has proven to be a player you'd want on your squad, but here in year 3 there's no doubt anymore that he won't be as good as advertised.

I'm the biggest Reggie homer/apologist around and got to see him live a few times and I've never seen a more brilliant year in college football than the year he picked up the Heisman. His game just doesn't translate I suppose.

It's sad that he lives right next door to Chris Paul, and that's the entire situation in a nutshell.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I dont understand why the saints don't just make reggie into wes welker. 100% full time slot receiver. Pierre Thomas and Aaron Stecker are both better RB's. The only time I would use him out of the backfield is on screens/swing passes and like the broncos and pats use Royal/Welker when they send them in motion for a quick out.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Weighing in on the Bush situation:

I'm sorry Reggie but you are what you are. I'm glad he's helping the team to some victories and has proven to be a player you'd want on your squad, but here in year 3 there's no doubt anymore that he won't be as good as advertised.

I'm the biggest Reggie homer/apologist around and got to see him live a few times and I've never seen a more brilliant year in college football than the year he picked up the Heisman. His game just doesn't translate I suppose.

It's sad that he lives right next door to Chris Paul, and that's the entire situation in a nutshell.
So, let's just say that he keeps averaging 100 YFS per game (which is in no way a daunting task), you all will STILL consider him a bust?

I don't think there's anything he can do at this point, save break a few rushing records, to convince you all otherwise. Your minds are made-up. I'd still take Reggie over Vince Young, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis and Michael Huff (maybe, not Huff ;)).
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cortland Finnegan is beasting early this year. Got his 3rd INT yesterday and helped shut down Carson to CJ and TJ. Hopefully people will be putting him in their top 5 corners list if he keeps this up.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
So, let's just say that he keeps averaging 100 YFS per game (which is in no way a daunting task), you all will STILL consider him a bust?

I don't think there's anything he can do at this point, save break a few rushing records, to convince you all otherwise. Your minds are made-up. I'd still take Reggie over Vince Young, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis and Michael Huff (maybe, not Huff ;)).
All those guys have been disappointments as well, minus Hawk, who's a solid but not spectacular WILL, but could be a dominant MIKE if given the chance.

Id say Young, Davis, and Huff have all been busts thus far. Huff has a chance to turn it around.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Imagine if Mario's impact with the Texans was similar to Bush's on the Saints; like if he was a solid guy against the run who was good for 5-7 sacks a year. People would still be crucifying the Texans for taking him. Bush was the second overall pick. He's has not lived up to that pick, at the position that is supposed to be the easiest for a young guy to transition into. People are still way too big of apologists for him. He's getting a pass because he's not completely ******* terrible. He can catch swing passes and that's about it.

There's a number third down type backs in the league that have shown more game changing ability than Reggie Bush already. Deangelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw...the list goes on and on.
my exact sentiments. i personally didn't think he'd suck this bad, i thought he'd be quite good honestly, but even then id take an elite DE prospect over a RB 10 out of 10 times.

Id take Chris Long over McFadden too. Yeah, I said it :)
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All those guys have been disappointments as well, minus Hawk, who's a solid but not spectacular WILL, but could be a dominant MIKE if given the chance.

Id say Young, Davis, and Huff have all been busts thus far. Huff has a chance to turn it around.
Well i meant at point of drafting. It might not mean a whole lot since our opinions are all tainted since we keep up with football, but i still would take Bush over those guys, AT THAT TIME.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Well i meant at point of drafting. It might not mean a whole lot since our opinions are all tainted since we keep up with football, but i still would take Bush over those guys, AT THAT TIME.
oh definitely. me too. Minus maybe Hawk. like i said, i didn't expect him to be this bad. i thought hed be quite good honestly.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
my exact sentiments. i personally didn't think he'd suck this bad, i thought he'd be quite good honestly, but even then id take an elite DE prospect over a RB 10 out of 10 times.

Id take Chris Long over McFadden too. Yeah, I said it :)
Before yesterday I'd agree with you, but watching Eric Weddle, Matt Wilhelm, and Derek Smith get destroyed on every play has convinced me that white people shouldn't play defense.

Kidding obviously. Mostly.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Before yesterday I'd agree with you, but watching Eric Weddle, Matt Wilhelm, and Derek Smith get destroyed on every play has convinced me that white people shouldn't play defense.
There is so much fail in that statement.

Ah, you edited it.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
oh definitely. me too. Minus maybe Hawk. like i said, i didn't expect him to be this bad. i thought hed be quite good honestly.
Eh, i think LB's like that are a dime a dozen. Okay, maybe not that cheap but you know what i mean. Every year there's a Lauranitis and Maualuga. Reggie Bush's don't come every year.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
There is so much fail in that statement.

Ah, you edited it.
Yeah don't worry I haven't lost it completely yet.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:

Kidding obviously. Mostly.
haha. I liked Eric Weddle. Wanted him on the Giants badly after we passed on Nelson and Merriweather. I still like him.

And Chris Long is the man. <3
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Eh, i think LB's like that are a dime a dozen. Okay, maybe not that cheap but you know what i mean. Every year there's a Lauranitis and Maualuga. Reggie Bush's don't come every year.
Well, my thoughts coming into the draft were that Hawk could be the next Urlacher. And while I think Urlacher is overrated in the context of history, guys like him don't come along every year either. And an Urlacher pound for pound would have more impact on a team than an elite RB.

Im a big believer in RBC basically. I think olines are more important than stud RBs. Whereas a stud LB can make an impact regardless of the players around him.

It wouldve been a tough decision though at the time.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Fellow USC alum turned to me during the game and gave me this gem: "Man, he really puts the Lauren in Lauranitis."

Ah, comedy gold. I will now take a break to imagine Rey Rey trading in the crimson for powder blue, which, if the Chargers don't find their balls, might be a real possibility.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Fellow USC alum turned to me during the game and gave me this gem: "Man, he really puts the Lauren in Lauranitis."

Ah, comedy gold. I will now take a break to imagine Rey Rey trading in the crimson for powder blue, which, if the Chargers don't find their balls, might be a real possibility.
im still pissed you guys stole Cason from us
although im quite happy with Phillips :)
Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Well, my thoughts coming into the draft were that Hawk could be the next Urlacher. And while I think Urlacher is overrated in the context of history, guys like him don't come along every year either. And an Urlacher pound for pound would have more impact on a team than an elite RB.

Im a big believer in RBC basically. I think olines are more important than stud RBs. Whereas a stud LB can make an impact regardless of the players around him.

It wouldve been a tough decision though at the time.
Oh don't get me wrong, i posted a pretty lengthy post on my analysis on a good offensive line as well, and i too agree that RBC is best.

When it comes to LB's though, i just think they're a lot easier to find. They're basically plug n play out of college, as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
im still pissed you guys stole Cason from us
although im quite happy with Phillips :)
Between a goal line stop that ended with no points, and a forced fumble in week 1, and a key INT in week 2, plus some great break ups in both, Cason might just be our defensive MVP so far. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I neeeeeeeed Kenny Phillips though.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Between a goal line stop that ended with no points, and a forced fumble in week 1, and a key INT in week 2, plus some great break ups in both, Cason might just be our defensive MVP so far. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I neeeeeeeed Kenny Phillips though.
we'll trade you Terrell Thomas and Derrick Ward for Antoine Cason :)

thats actually a fair trade if you think about it lol. in fact, we might be giving up too much.