Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default That Two Point Conversion Call: Smart or Dumb?

I think it was the smartest call I have seen in years. If you watch the previous play you can see how the middle of the field was wide open with outside man coverage. You even saw Shanny point to his eyes, as if he saw soemthing: an opening in the middle.

The threw and catch were great and it was open. A very precise throw and a very nice catch by the rookie Eddie Royal.

On the precipice of greatness, Cutler had a great drive.(I am not going to rbing up the fumble call at all, well I just did) It could be Elwayesque with the precise throws, agility, great footwork, and amazing zip on the throws.

Shanny found a gem. This decision to go for 2 proved to me that Shanny is not done.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think he just fluked there, its something you do in high school not in real life
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was a great decision as well, because like the commentators said, it showed the gamesmanship for Shanny. He gave the Chargers an opportunity to win it. And now the Charger can't blame the loss solely on the calls that were missed. (Sorry to bring it up, but it is pertinent to the situation) The Chargers had the opportunity to win the game, and they didn't. It does show the confidence he has in Cutler and I tink there are great things in store for him and the offense.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

brilliant call. should be done more.

your defense has given up 38 points. if the game goes to OT, and ya lose the coin toss, there's a VERY good chance that ya lose the game without touching the ball. a 2 point conversion means ya have to gain 2 yards with the game on the line. and if ya don't think you can do that, then you have bigger problems with your team than what happens in OT.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
I think it was the smartest call I have seen in years. If you watch the previous play you can see how the middle of the field was wide open with outside man coverage. You even saw Shanny point to his eyes, as if he saw soemthing: an opening in the middle.

The threw and catch were great and it was open. A very precise throw and a very nice catch by the rookie Eddie Royal.

On the precipice of greatness, Cutler had a great drive.(I am not going to rbing up the fumble call at all, well I just did) It could be Elwayesque with the precise throws, agility, great footwork, and amazing zip on the throws.

Shanny found a gem. This decision to go for 2 proved to me that Shanny is not done.
Eddie Royal had two guys on his back. He made the catch, and it turned out to be a great play, but he wasn't really open. It was a ballsy move. Very risky. Something you see more on the road in college and not the NFL. Let's say he didn't make it. How many Bronco fans are freaking out?

Shanny might have felt he was playing with house money at that point. The game should have already been a Denver loss. Why not push all the chips in?
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the anticipation of Eddie being there and open at the precise time was the greatness of the play. It was ballsy for sure. But it was a perfect execution.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Balls of steel! Talk about going all in on that play.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it didn't work, we'd all be saying he's an idiot for doing it. It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of balls to do that, and I guess it made a bit of sense(because it worked). I'm just glad we won.

P.S. We're also scoring 40 ppg :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Regardless of what I think of the game of course it was a smart call. No one's defense could stop anyone, it was essentially take a 50/50 shot at winning the coin toss and game in overtime, or go two yards for the win. With the way Cutler was playing, and the way our defense was playing, why not go for two. I don't think it has anything to do with playing "with the house's money" or w.e.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
If it didn't work, we'd all be saying he's an idiot for doing it. It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of balls to do that, and I guess it made a bit of sense(because it worked). I'm just glad we won.

P.S. We're also scoring 40 ppg :)
Even if it wouldn't have worked, I would have understood the call. Like I asaid in my post, Denver shouldn't have been in that situation, and Shanny gave the Chargers the opportunity to redeem themselves, and they failed.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Conventional wisdom says that if a play works well one play it won't work well the very next play. Shanny has balls of steel.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did anyone see what Skip Bayless said on 1st and 10 this morning about Shanahan trying to give the Chargers are fair shot because he knew there were a couple of bad calls? I actually said that to a friend of mine last night but he called me crazy, though I guess if Skip Bayless says it I must be

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 09-15-2008 at 12:08 PM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the call, even though I was nervous as hell. Our defense would've folded if we had gone to OT. Going for 2 put the ball (and destiny) in the hands of the offense... which is exactly what the Broncos need to do this year if they want to win games.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

imo, his defense started to worry him after giving up 30 points when they were winning 21-3.

Plus they got a break on that non-fumble call and had to take advantage of it.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Is it just me or are there a lot of people who are putting the Broncos at the top of the AFC right now? I understand it, because ti does seem up for grabs righ tnow, but that defense is something to worry about. Cutler can only take them so far. They have a few young guys who could improve as the season goes on, but for the most part, they have (what looks to be) an average defnese, at best. And that doesn't bide well for deep playoff runs.

Edit: I had typed this as Pack did his, so we said the same thing.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all depends on if it works or not lol.

The same people who praise a call like that could easily be bashing it if it didn't work.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great Idea:

They weren't supposed to be in the game at the end. The calls weren't going for them. Rivers was throwing well. Kaedings got a good leg. Why try for an OT when you know you have a better shot of winning it. It's still a 50%-50% shot to go for it or not to go for it (in theory), either you execute it or you don't. Just the same as a coin toss would be (in theory).

This took the luck out of the equation and let shanny shannify.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I respect the move; Shanny knew the game should have been over, so he went all or nothing. Ted Cottrell obviously isn't a real person, but instead a masquerading hippo, so Shanny knew he could get the conversion with the same play he had just gotten a TD with.

My other problems with this game are numerous, and really I'm just glad I was drunk as hell at a friends BBQ throughout, because I could not have taken that ass pounding sober.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Brilliant because it worked
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great call. He gave the Chargers a chance to win it even after the botched calls. It was almost professional if you think about it. He knew he shouldn't have been there and that the game was a win for the Chargers so he made them earn it. Which they did not
Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Shanny gave the Chargers the opportunity to redeem themselves, and they failed.
I'm sure the Chargers getting another opportunity to redeem themselves was no where near Shannahan's mind as he made that decision. If they were, he shouldn't even be coaching. Who cares if the referees blew a call for them. You go out there, and you win the game, however you can. You don't feel sorry for the opposing team and "give them a chance".

Shannahan called for the 2pt conversion for HIS team. Not the Chargers.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I'm sure the Chargers getting another opportunity to redeem themselves was no where near Shannahan's mind as he made that decision. If they were, he shouldn't even be coaching. Who cares if the referees blew a call for them. You go out there, and you win the game, however you can. You don't feel sorry for the opposing team and "give them a chance".

Yeah, with the way both offenses were scoring at will, whoever won the coin toss would have won the game. He had a chance to end it, and he took it. It was good coaching and would have been good coaching even if they had missed. His team already had the ball...why wait and hope you win the toss?
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:51 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver should not have gotten that touchdown, Chargers won that game, Broncos got a lucky call

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems smart because it worked but I don't think it's a very good idea in general.

Yeah, the Broncos won and the Chargers lost but like it was stated before, if they went for it and missed it, EVERYONE would be screaming about how you always take the extra point and play for OT. It's the smart play.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it was a good idea, imo. Was a pretty insane game though. Cutler is the truth!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post

I actually was going to mention that as well, because he wouldn't want his team to have peole telling them they didn't deserve that win. now that they got that 2 pt conversion, you can make the argument that they earned it.