Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently we don't know what a screen is however. How can we let them blitz 6 or 7 and not pick them apart with the short passing game?

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Apparently we don't know what a screen is however. How can we let them blitz 6 or 7 and not pick them apart with the short passing game?
Bob Bratkowski is mentally ret*rded. Thats why. Although I did like the flea flicker play. We need to be doing more tricky things like that instead of the same, old humdrum obvious plays. Our offensive play calling is very predictable.

Where is Keith Rivers??

Last edited by hobbes2053 : 09-21-2008 at 02:41 PM.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
Bob Bratkowski is mentally ret*rded. Thats why. Although I did like the flea flicker play. We need to be doing more tricky things like that instead of the same, old humdrum obvious plays. Our offensive play calling is very predictable.

Where is Keith Rivers??
I think we can give Bratkowski a small break right now after this game. Its a major turn around from the previous two games. Seeing Carson Palmer on his back that much was terrible, but seeing him actually connect with his receivers was awesome.

I look forward to a brighter future, lets pray this isn't false hope though.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
EXACTLY! Peyton lives off that stuff. That's how you keep them back.

I wasn't too bothered with his play calling until that last offensive drive... Two handoffs in a row to Perry, seriously? Carson just sat there and picked apart their defense and you hand it off for two small gains? Carson/CJ/TJ are getting paid the money to make plays, not Perry. Perry is fine, it's just why use him there?

David Jones played surprisingly well. Hall and Geathers had a great game. The defense is enough for us to win, I just wish they could stop those big gains. It's like RB's hardly ever get to our second level anymore but when they do they get 10+.

Our secondary still can't cover for days, kinda like any secondary. Pass rush is still our biggest flaw but it's getting better. I'm still happy with the D, the offense came back around to what I expected. The guys played well but as always, could've played better.

On a side, I wish they would've just gone for it with 4 seconds left. Not sure why with 20 seconds left they didn't just call the TO and pick at the sidelines/go for the endzone.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
EXACTLY! Peyton lives off that stuff. That's how you keep them back.

I wasn't too bothered with his play calling until that last offensive drive... Two handoffs in a row to Perry, seriously? Carson just sat there and picked apart their defense and you hand it off for two small gains? Carson/CJ/TJ are getting paid the money to make plays, not Perry. Perry is fine, it's just why use him there?

David Jones played surprisingly well. Hall and Geathers had a great game. The defense is enough for us to win, I just wish they could stop those big gains. It's like RB's hardly ever get to our second level anymore but when they do they get 10+.

Our secondary still can't cover for days, kinda like any secondary. Pass rush is still our biggest flaw but it's getting better. I'm still happy with the D, the offense came back around to what I expected. The guys played well but as always, could've played better.

On a side, I wish they would've just gone for it with 4 seconds left. Not sure why with 20 seconds left they didn't just call the TO and pick at the sidelines/go for the endzone.
Agreed with everything you said. Also, I think our pass rush will get better - Odom missed a lot of preseason / training camp time and he's got to get back into the swing of things it seems. And Geathers looks good as always, lets hope he can turn more hurries into sacks in the future though.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling that if JJ was in we might have won. Less big plays like the ones at the end to Toomer and Plax

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
I have a feeling that if JJ was in we might have won. Less big plays like the ones at the end to Toomer and Plax
Possibly, Jones did well though... I gotta give the guy credit I thought he would be destroyed. JJ is a better tackler for sure, that's what Jones suffered with the most.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leon Hall had a helluva game covering Plax. That was the best I've seen him play for us to date. Agreed that if JJ was healthy we probably would have won but I won't knock David Jones entirely. He did hold his own (except for the tackling) and for the most part didn't let anything big go past him. I keep getting more and more excited about the defense as it seems to be coming together quite nicely. But one question: WHERE WAS KEITH RIVERS? I didn't hear his name at all and barely saw him. Other than that, I was impressed by the defensive intensity, but I would like to see some more pressure on the QB.

I gotta agree with you PtoCJ with the questionable calls on that last drive. Why wouldn't they keep going with what was working? The passing game got more and more effective and then when it counts, Bratkow strays from it..? Why??
Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I mean honestly, I never act like I know it all because I don't... But some of his play calls are just so ridiculous. Perry gets about 1-2 yards on the first carry and you run it again? Give Carson two shots, I have little doubt he can get at least 10 yards given the rhythm he had going on.

They're back, just waaaay too much ground to make up. We MUST win next week, sweep the Steelers (next to impossible for us) and get Baltimore at PBS. Then we've got a shot but that's a whole lotta if's and but's.

I still pretty much expect the winner of the division to be 9-7. There's a good reason for optimism. We'll see what Chris Perry is made of next week and what kind of roll the offense can get on.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Youre exactly right. If the passing game is working.. stick with it! There's not need to go to the run (on 2 consecutive plays no less) just to be safe. Overtime is not the time to be safe. You have to SCORE, above all else, and you're only going to do that if you stay with what's working. I just don't get it..

Sweet sig btw
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't really get to see the end cuz I had to go to work but thoughts from what I saw:

The D was pretty impressive overall even the secondary which was surprising considering the best player in that unit JJ was out. David Jones and Simeon Castille were alright considering. Leon Hall was the big standout today though. The guy may not have crazy athletic ability like JJ does be he is really a technician out there. Geathers was pretty solid out there even though he didn't get a sack from what I saw. Liked the way we stuffed the run for the most part. It was also very refreshing to see Ndukwe out there. He is really a playmaker.

Offensively, we took some big steps today even though we gave up 6 sacks(though it doesn't bother me too much). The running game looked like it really is progressing and even ERIC GUYCHICK looked pretty good out there today. Ya, I said it. I liked the way Chris ran the ball for the most part. Carson looked like he's supposed to look and made some very nice clutch throws. I think I saw maybe 2-3 throws that were bad. You could really tell how much we miss Jeremi Johnson today though. Those fullbacks were pretty worthless out there. TJ looked like his old self making the tough catches when we needed them. Overall, we made some big steps like I said earlier. We're not quite where we need to be but it was encouraging to see some progress. I'm not normally one to accept failure but today I did like what I saw from both sides of the ball.

Here's to a win next week!

EDIT: I really would have liked to have seen them go for it when we had the ball that close in the fourth quarter. Can't blame the call but personally I woulda taken a shot there. They really didn't manage the clock very well.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
EDIT: I really would have liked to have seen them go for it when we had the ball that close in the fourth quarter. Can't blame the call but personally I woulda taken a shot there. They really didn't manage the clock very well.
I was wanting them to go for it but in the same breath I wasn't mad that they didn't. If they went for it and failed, it would've been fine with me. The offense was on a roll, I didn't have a problem with it.

Chinny >>>>>>>>>>>>> DJax

Gotta give Marvin credit on taking Chinny and White, they're two solid young players. We've got quite the talented young secondary that's actually producing results.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Gotta give him credit on letting O'Neal go like that too with two unproven young players in the wings. Castille and to a bigger extent Jones looked good today. Hard to let go a former Pro Bowler for such young guys like that.

I like DJax and his veteran presence with all those young guys but at some point you gotta let Chinny get most of the reps. I think during the last game the announcers said in their meetings with the coaches they told them they think Chinny will be an All Pro some day. Maybe a little much to say right now but the kid just makes plays.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I agree with them man... You NEVER see DJax involved in any of the plays yet Chinny is always in the middle of the action. Same for White (unlike Madieu in the end). I'm sure Chinny is making mistakes we can't notice within the defense but he's also making plays. They've gotta be one of the hardest hitting saftey duos in the league (not that that's worth anything technically).

I would love for this to turn into a defensive minded team but given our current setup and the offense I don't see that happening.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree with them man... You NEVER see DJax involved in any of the plays yet Chinny is always in the middle of the action. Same for White (unlike Madieu in the end). I'm sure Chinny is making mistakes we can't notice within the defense but he's also making plays. They've gotta be one of the hardest hitting saftey duos in the league (not that that's worth anything technically).

I would love for this to turn into a defensive minded team but given our current setup and the offense I don't see that happening.
White and Chinny (esp.) always seem to be there at the end of plays, and its a great thing. It means they both have high motors and fly around, which is exactly what this young defense needs.

I couldn't agree more. I too would love to see the team's focus switch over to defense, a defense that could someday be near the top in the league if handled correctly. Though it may not be the case, it sure would be nice. It would take a load of pressure off the offense and would make us an all around better, more respectable team.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Much better play from the team today. How the hell those last 30 seconds of regulation was mismanaged is BEYOND me !!! That is where solid teams win games.

The stupid f*cking 3rd and longs for a first down HAS GOT TO STOP !!! I thought Coach Zimmer was going to come unglued on the sideline during (I think) the 3rd quarter when a screen went for a long gain and a 1st down. I saw him on TV just sling the living sh*t out of his clipboard and about lose his mind. I loved seeing the coach get fired the f*ck up when his unit makes a bonehead play.

The defense was biting on a ton of play action, but think they did pretty well. One of the most glaring plays by Jones was a 3rd and long interference call that he just hit the receiver stupidly. Dumb play on his part.

Overall, I was happy to see them appear to be motivated and really think they should have had that game. This is not as bad an 0-3 team as some might think, but they are going to have to prove it with the schedule they face coming up...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Gotta agree with your last point there Medic. We absolutely MUST win next week. A win over the Brownies might give us yet another confidence boost which will be much needed if we are going to come close to breaking .500. If we lose to Cleveland, I will have have lost all faith. Win or stop playing.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, let's look at this...

With games left with Dallas, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh (twice), Indianapolis and Washington, not to mention another one with the Ravens and two more with the Browns, it could look ugly...

That being said, if the team continues to improve and brings the type of effort they did yesterday in the coming weeks, we may be pleasantly suprised...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

We own Cleveland at home. I expect a win by 2+ scores. If not, this team would have taken a step back.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

If we continue to take steps in the right direction, as we've been doing since week 1, we might have a legitimate shot. That being said, we must continue to improve on all 3 sides of the ball. It looks like Carson is finding a rhythm of some kind and the run game seems to be developing nicely. We've gotta keep taking those steps in the right direction. If only Bratkow could call a decently cerebral game, it might all fall into place.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'm trying to not get too optimistic (for being 0-3 that is) but we still have 5 games in the division left. If we beat the Steelers twice (slim chance but hey, who knows) we would have a shot. If we lose next week our season is over already.

Cleveland has looked worse than us though so I'm actually expecting a win. Plus it's nice to get out of this run of solid defenses.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Giants Dline(BTW) has been and always will be overrated. If we get **** on by this figment of what they essentially "were" ill be pissed. Our OL is VERY good but with a HORRIBLE Center everyone looks bad.
are you ******* kidding me? how in the bloody hell were we overrated? Were as in last year? How was the unit that won us the Super Bowl overrated?

And nobody is over rating our DL now with Stray gone and Osi out, nobody. Losing your 2 best pass rushers hurts obviously. And guess what? We still got 6 sacks. you can go away now.

but to everyone else, great game. A bit too scary for my liking. Hall is a good physical CB. Not the fastest guy, but his press coverage and physicality on Plax was quite impressive. TJ is an excellent WR and picked apart James ************* Butler over the middle quite a few times.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
are you ******* kidding me? how in the bloody hell were we overrated? Were as in last year? How was the unit that won us the Super Bowl overrated?

And nobody is over rating our DL now with Stray gone and Osi out, nobody. Losing your 2 best pass rushers hurts obviously. And guess what? We still got 6 sacks. you can go away now.

but to everyone else, great game. A bit too scary for my liking. Hall is a good physical CB. Not the fastest guy, but his press coverage and physicality on Plax was quite impressive. TJ is an excellent WR and picked apart James ************* Butler over the middle quite a few times.
I meant ever since Strahan left(and even moreso since Osi got hurt) that line is not the same. Even as good as they were in the Super Bowl I still think they were just put on a level that is ridiculous. I also don't think your DT's are all that great. Our OL has been bad but that was probably the best game they've played thus far. I would attribute about half of those sacks to the OL actually being beaten and the rest to the ineptitude of our OC and somewhat to Carson's unbelievable ability to not get rid of the football.

Out of the 3 DLs we have played I'd rank the Giants second or third at this point. But then again they are all top 10 units in the league.

But way to take it personally. Good game.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165