Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Excellent young QB play so far this year.

Every year I like to take a look at QB play in the league because all the "media pundits" keep telling me there is a serious drought in excellent QB play.

Well I don't think it's true anymore; Not every team has a franchise signal caller, but there's a lot of accomplished veterans in the league right now, with several potential/locks for Canton in Brett, Tom and Peyton, plus guys like Warner, McNabb and Brees.

What this thread is about how we're, IMO of course, about to enter a legit golden age of QB, and by that I mean we're going to see a bunch of guys holding down their spots for at least the next 5 years and more in most cases.

Look around, and every division it seems has a young guy that's already getting it done, with the potential to develop into so much more. in no order, Romo, Palmer, Cutler, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, and (no homer) Rivers have all met with a lot of success on big stages. not to mention even younger guys who look very promising, like Trent Edwards, Derek Anderson, and even Matt Ryan. Plus you can't rule out Vince Young recapturing the magic.

I'm sure I left some guys out but that's not the point; the future is very bright for the first time in a long while.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell did good first game. WR's dropped 3 pass for long gains though.

Week2....... was a different story

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Well I don't think it's true anymore; Not every team has a franchise signal caller, but there's a lot of accomplished veterans in the league right now, with several potential/locks for Canton in Brett, Tom and Peyton, plus guys like Warner, McNabb and Brees.
:(

I like Brees and I admit that McNabb isn't bad but neither of them should be anywhere close to that word "Canton"...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

I like Brees and I admit that McNabb isn't bad but neither of them should be anywhere close to that word "Canton"...
I just went with the more accomplished vet QBs in the league. Although, their careers aren't over by a long shot and a ring would mean a lot to both those guys' chances.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Do you see the things that these QBs have in common?

They are in a position to succeed. None of them are being thrown to the wolves a la Alex Smith and David Carr.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Do you see the things that these QBs have in common?

They are in a position to succeed. None of them are being thrown to the wolves a la Alex Smith and David Carr.
McNabb was. Roethlisberger was a statistical anamoly because his team underperformed, thus the semi-high draft pick. Cutler had to start pretty early in his career as well, but he at least had a semi decent team to work with.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
McNabb was. Roethlisberger was a statistical anamoly because his team underperformed, thus the semi-high draft pick. Cutler had to start pretty early in his career as well, but he at least had a semi decent team to work with.
I'm mainly talking about the young guys that are doing it right now. Cutler, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm mainly talking about the young guys that are doing it right now. Cutler, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc.
Yeah.

I got into this in a previous thread, someone that was talking about o-linemen, it's just hard for these coaches. They're asked to rebuild a team, yet win games, and the two usually go together. It's hard to win with a scrub at quarterback, so you usually play your young, talented guy. It's just a vicious circle that can't be avoided, at times.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
What? A good QB can leadzzz hizz teamzzz to vitocy ZOMG no matterz what. Carr, harrington and Smith just suck monkey nutzz
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Yeah.

I got into this in a previous thread, someone that was talking about o-linemen, it's just hard for these coaches. They're asked to rebuild a team, yet win games, and the two usually go together. It's hard to win with a scrub at quarterback, so you usually play your young, talented guy. It's just a vicious circle that can't be avoided, at times.
The QB should be one of the last pieces imo.

Put together a top o-line, a top half d, patch some holes, and then hope the QB puts you over the top....to start.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:

Put together a top o-line, a top half d, patch some holes, and then hope the QB puts you over the top....to start.
Fully agreed.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A good O line means about 60-70% more of a success rate than Qb's talent alone. You might want to include overall talent of the team in the percentage as well(defense, coaching, special teams, etc)
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thats about how you do it.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyler Thigpen is a God among men out there

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

And Kurt Warner should?!

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way, most of those QBs have a very important common thread: continuity in the system they play in and the coaches that call their plays. That's not too surprising.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 AM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
By the way, most of those QBs have a very important common thread: continuity in the system they play in and the coaches that call their plays. That's not too surprising.
Which begs the question : Do quarterbacks perform better thanks to continuity in the system, or are coaches and personnel allowed to stay longer thanks to a talented QB playing well?
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
ding ding ding we have a winner