Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Favorite Offensive Shemes?

Whats your favorite offensive schemes? Ive always been a fan of a run heavy vertical passing game built of PA pass.

However, recently, Ive really grown a liking to the WCO. As I study it more, the more it grows on me. In particular, Mike Shannahan's WCO. Its brilliant, I love it. And McCarthey's WCO is really good too.

If I were to rate my favorite offensive schemes in the league it would be:

1. Patriots vertical/screen pass offense
2. Shannahan's WCO
3. McCarthey's WCO
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the run heavy schemes like the Bears offense or Martyball

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have to say the West Coast Offense.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pass heavy, while I recognize the importance of pounding the rock, I find it a bit boring. I'm a pass *****, love watching it, spread 'em out.Definitely the WCO. I really like McCarthey's system in particular( not solely because he's GB's coach) but it's quarterback friendly, fun to watch, and it works dammit. With that said, I believe his scheme is a great one, but it's in the wrong place. I'm not convinced it can work effectively late in the season in a place like GB. I prefer a bruiser team ( O-line) for that. I think it would work excellent in a dome or fair weather.

How similar are MM and Shanny's systems? Both WCO with ZBS....

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Steelers heavy run offense (Pros)
2. Spread (college)
3. Run N Shoot
4. Option
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Pass heavy, while I recognize the importance of pounding the rock, I find it a bit boring. I'm a pass *****, love watching it, spread 'em out.Definitely the WCO. I really like McCarthey's system in particular( not solely because he's GB's coach) but it's quarterback friendly, fun to watch, and it works dammit. With that said, I believe his scheme is a great one, but it's in the wrong place. I'm not convinced it can work effectively late in the season in a place like GB. I prefer a bruiser team ( O-line) for that. I think it would work excellent in a dome or fair weather.

How similar are MM and Shanny's systems? Both WCO with ZBS....
Im still gettin to know both systems, but so far Ive noticed theyre very different. Shannahan's system is more of a tight system, 2 TE system that runs the rock a lot more, and uses WCO patterns with TEs much more often than McCartney does.

McCartney spreads it out a lot more, and uses a lot more full house packages, split back packages, and more traditional WCO patterns like the slant.

I really like the run blocking scheme McCartney employs. Like having 2 FBs, and running power one way with one FB blocking the backside for the cutback lane.

Im usually not a fan of the WCO bc its too pass oriented, and Im an old school run the rock type of guy, but what I like about Shanny's WCO and McCartney's WCO is that both are by design, made to thrive in the run game. Done in different ways, but both are great for the run game. As odd as that sounds.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
I like the run heavy schemes like the Bears offense or Martyball
Me too, but Ron Turner kind of sucks.

I liked Whistenhunt's offense in Pittsburgh a lot, and historically loved Gibb's offense.

What I love about the Pats offense is that its explosive, yet still can be run heavy, and very qb friendly.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. The Bengals "Play to Lose" Offense concocted by the one and only Bob Bratkowski.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
1. Steelers heavy run offense (Pros)
2. Spread (college)
3. Run N Shoot
4. Option
Which Steeler offense? The Whistenhunt one, or the one they employ now? Bc the one they employ now is more of a spread offense that runs sweeps and pulling guards to the outside.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The spread option, as perfected by Rich Rodriguez. 2008 Michigan Wolverines notwithstanding.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Which Steeler offense? The Whistenhunt one, or the one they employ now? Bc the one they employ now is more of a spread offense that runs sweeps and pulling guards to the outside.
KW.. I had a man crush on his system!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
KW.. I had a man crush on his system!
I loved his system in Pittsburgh too.

Cameron's system in SD was pretty good too.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

Ken Whisenhunt
Cam Cameron
John Hufangel

Which one doesn't belong? LOL.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any offense that has Cutler as QB
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The 2004-2006 Cameron offense absolutely sung when it got going, good call. A lot of Gates up the seam, with possession receivers and an emphasis on fullback powered running game for LT.

The Norv Turner offense is way more downfield, the focus has really switched around. Can't complain much either way.

For other Offenses, I have to give it up to the simplicity of Peyton's guys. Reggie on one side, Marvin on the other, with Stokely/Gonzalez filling in the slot and productive tight ends, handing off to Edge/Addai/Rhodes...stacked enough to just go out and execute. Very nice.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I love a team that has a run heavy scheme but uses a WCO style passing game to spread the defense and keep the ball moving. IMO the vertical passing game is over-rated because it's so risky. I'd rather spend 5 more plays moving the chains than going with the bomb.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have always loved Shanahan's offense
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever the hell it is that Jason Garrett is running. It's beautiful to watch.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Whatever the hell it is that Jason Garrett is running. It's beautiful to watch.
Yeah he is another stud OC, but you guys tend to throw more than run it right? I like those passing concepts but mix it with alot of run and I'd call that the perfect system, for me in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Since no one's going to mention him since he's been such a horrible Head Coach, but Scott Linehan's power running game and PA passing game was very effective in miami and minnesota.

Plus if you have the right QB Holmgren really does a great job designing plays that make things easier for his players.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah he is another stud OC, but you guys tend to throw more than run it right? I like those passing concepts but mix it with alot of run and I'd call that the perfect system, for me in my opinion.
Yeah, i think we do pass a little more, but not by a lot. It just seems that way because our passing game is so efficient. But the way Garrett calls plays is just gorgeous. Plenty of times on Monday, he caught the Eagles blitzing or off guard with draws and screens. That's pretty much how Barber got his rushing yards cause the rush D was pretty tight all game. The Martellus Bennett screen was great.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Not a big fan of the WCO, but the one great thing about the system, specifically Mike Martz's as an example, is the way he calls his plays. I love the use of tags for the route numbers rather than using 2 digit numbers. And it's easy for the players to remember the #s. If not I guess they can try to wear wristbands to help, but overall it's a sweet system in terms of terminology.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Yeah, i think we do pass a little more, but not by a lot. It just seems that way because our passing game is so efficient. But the way Garrett calls plays is just gorgeous. Plenty of times on Monday, he caught the Eagles blitzing or off guard with draws and screens. That's pretty much how Barber got his rushing yards cause the rush D was pretty tight all game. The Martellus Bennett screen was great.
Yeah I don't really watch or focus in on your games, but I will have to break a game down like I do for our team just to see what passing concepts he is running against certain coverages. But in terms of draws and screens for blitzes that's standard practice. The theory is instead of hanging back and passing while people are coming at you, you run a screen, and let them come at you and then get the linemen upfield to block, and then pass it out to the RB. Same with the Draws, you invite the rush by kick stepping, and that means you are indicating to the defensive players that it is a pass, and so they read pass, and drop back, but then you hand it off and go forward.

One great example is watch the past superbowl again. Pats started to do that with great success on us. They screened us, via different types of screens, and it was working. In my opinion, Wies would have stuck with that until we adjusted, but McDaniels was impatient and was insistent on going deep.

But the thing Garrett does well is he has set coverage beaters at all times. So he has Cover 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 beaters, and then adjusts if opposing defenses throws hybrid coverages at him. Factor in option and Choice routes, and it's a great offense.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KW offense with the Steelars was fun to watch. I really do like Martz's version of the spread.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

big fan of martyball. big big fan.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote