Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vikings bench Tarvaris Jackson

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings are benching quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in favor of Gus Frerotte.

Coach Brad Childress said Wednesday that Frerotte will start Sunday against the Carolina Panthers.

Jackson started the first two games, both losses. He completed just 51 percent of his passes in those starts, prompting the coach to turn to 37-year-old journeyman Frerotte.

Frerotte was signed in the offseason to be Jackson's backup, but now finds himself trying to turn around a team that had high expectations to start the season.

Childress said that barring injury, Frerotte will be the quarterback for the rest of the season. However, Childress added he hasn't given up on the 25-year-old Jackson as an option for the team's long term.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's about time!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully the Panthers don't make Childress look like a genius. They have had problems in the past about making subpar guys look good.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25368

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default yep....

Can't say I didn't see this one coming. With Minnesota's defense and run game they just need someone to not screw up and make the odd throw back there to be alright. With a tough game against Carolina this weekend they had to make this move to prevent them from going 0-3 with Jackson.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Jackson it looked to me like they were limiting what plays they could call and this should open up the playbook a bit. Frerotte is no prize but might add some stability. QB is a definite postion of need in the offseason.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
With Jackson it looked to me like they were limiting what plays they could call and this should open up the playbook a bit. Frerotte is no prize but might add some stability. QB is a definite postion of need in the offseason.
No that's just the coaching staff having no idea that you can adjust your plan in the game to use whats working and avoiding what isn't.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
No that's just the coaching staff having no idea that you can adjust your plan in the game to use whats working and avoiding what isn't.
I think it's too convenient for fans to just blame the coach. Obviously handing the ball to Peterson is the smart thing to do but nobody knows what Jackson is capable of in that huddle. Get rid of the coach you still have the same problems.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was just a matter of time.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God I hope he plays better than Kelly Holcomb did last year.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think it's too convenient for fans to just blame the coach. Obviously handing the ball to Peterson is the smart thing to do but nobody knows what Jackson is capable of in that huddle. Get rid of the coach you still have the same problems.
When it's consistent over the span of multiple quarter backs it's safe to blame it on coaching. Heck even if your players don't fit your scheme at all and fail miserably a good coach will change the scheme and adjust, but not brad childress, he loves his plan.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
When it's consistent over the span of multiple quarter backs it's safe to blame it on coaching. Heck even if your players don't fit your scheme at all and fail miserably a good coach will change the scheme and adjust, but not brad childress, he loves his plan.
great point, I have said that involving Billick but people disagreed w/ me. About Tarvaris it was just a matter of time, he has the talent but it doesnt seem like he will put it together.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
great point, I have said that involving Billick but people disagreed w/ me. About Tarvaris it was just a matter of time, he has the talent but it doesnt seem like he will put it together.
If there's either a coaching change or he goes to another franchise I still envision him becoming a good NFL QB somewhere someday.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This in my opinion seals the Vikings fate. They won't make the playoffs.

Not with 3 teams most likely coming out of the East, GB in the North, and the other wildcard most likely coming from the South.

Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Cardinals, and Packers. Thats my 6.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 09-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

Hopefully that also seals Brad Childress' fate, costing him his job. The key will be finding the right replacement, someone who can adjust his scheme to his players and make adjustments in games.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This in my opinion seals the Vikings fate. They won't make the playoffs.

Not with 3 teams most likely coming out of the East, GB in the North, and the other wildcard most likely coming from the South.

Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Panthers, and Packers. Thats my 6.
I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East. That said I'll give the Bears the nod over the Vikings at this point anyway.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East.
happened last season.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Marlo

Quote:
happened last season.
So........?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East. That said I'll give the Bears the nod over the Vikings at this point anyway.
I tend to agree about the math, but its happened the past 2 or 3 seasons i believe. it should happen again. theres 3 legitimate SB contenders in the East alone.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Wait, i have to edit my post, I forgot about the NFC West LOL.

can't we just exclude them?

anyway the 6 are:

Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Arizona.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I tend to agree about the math, but its happened the past 2 or 3 seasons i believe. it should happen again. theres 3 legitimate SB contenders in the East alone.
Well the good news is that nobody has lost a non-divisonal game yet in the East.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well this is a great move, but it's still Gus Frerotte so I need to temper my expectations. His deep ball can't be any worse than Jackson's though, so maybe one of these times Berrian beats his man deep (he's done it about 4 times this year) he can actually hit him.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Seems to me he's changing the scheme by running the ball most of the time, isnt that the complaint that he gets too conservative?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Well this is a great move, but it's still Gus Frerotte so I need to temper my expectations. His deep ball can't be any worse than Jackson's though, so maybe one of these times Berrian beats his man deep (he's done it about 4 times this year) he can actually hit him.
And umm Berrian can uh what...either drop the ball again or get interfered with without any penalty getting called? You really cannot blame TJ for most of those deep balls not getting completed.

As far as this move goes though, this is just a desperation move by Childress to try and save his job. I cannot wait to see how much Frerotte struggles with a combination of ****** pass blocking, horrendous playcalling and receivers who can't catch a cold.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The move was inevitable. Tavaris Jackson should never have been drafted or tried out as an NFL starting Quarterback to begin with. I never liked his selection for the Vikings. I knew they were making a busted pick.

...and I think they made another mistake by taking Tyrell Johnson over Brian Brohm. They had a false sense of hope in Tavaris Jackson which made them feel like they could pass up on him and Tavaris failed them. I blame the GM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote