Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Downloading then Dragon Age 2 demo now. It's pretty massive...just under 2 GB. Gonna take a while.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gaaah I gotta wait for the TV to do that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Playing the demo now. gahhh. Hawke is not a great leading man, his voice is really annoying and generic. Nothing really stands out.

The voice acting in general so far is woeful...especially the first girl. (Mage)

It will take some getting used to. They changed a lot. The character design is different, the graphics have been upgraded, and the combat has been sped up to real time. I didnt know if that was going to be the case, exactly. But yeah, no more commands....the response times are right on point. Plays like a hack and slash, or a bloodier version of Fable.

I'm sure I'll love the game...but it may be one that I'm a little tough on review wise. It happens, when so much is changed.

edit...also, I'm not a big fan of any of the text or symbols I've seen yet. The pause screen looks like something right out of God of War or Dante's Inferno. As do the symbols that represent your talents.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Early reactions; I really like it. I like the design and style they've achieved. The graphics aren't perfect still...but they're greatly improved. Characters look great and move organically. The environments really leave something to be desired from what I've seen though. Washed out can look really good when done right, but the "It looks like a Playstation 2 game" criticism is somewhat justified for the starting area in the demo.

As far as Hawke goes, the voice acting isn't great, but it's not terrible. We really don't know a whole lot about him yet even still though, so we'll have to see how it pans out besides two randomly selected moments in the game.

Flameth appearing was really, really badass. The aforementioned redesign really looked great on her.

Went through as a warrior the first time and really enjoyed the combat quite a bit. The removal of auto attack creates a sense of control and speed not seen in the first game. I wish they did something like The Witcher and rewarded well timed button presses or something though as "tap a repeatedly to win" might get a bit boring eventually. It REALLY goes though. Very, very responsive and that is always a good thing.

Overall, I already knew I was buying it...but I'm optimistic as hell about this game in spite of the changes. There's going to be some people who don't like what direction they're headed in, but I'm really enjoying and appreciating some of the things they've done.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Meh...I absolutely hate when they change the appearance of characters. I remember an article on IGN a while back, where they discussed the fact that some old cast members will make an appearance. They had a picture of that version of Flemeth, with the caption..."guess who's back?" And the comments were damned hilarious, because no one knew who the hell she was. Obviously it was either Flemeth, Wynne, or an older Morrigan. But still. I really get annoyed when they change appearances. Especially if you intend to have a long standing franchise. You want your players to form an attachment to characters...it's kind of hard when you change key characters appearances every game. Showing age is one thing, but a complete overhaul of a known character is pretty stupid. And it's not like it's a younger version of Flemeth, either. She's still supposed to be an old ass woman. I actually fear what Morrigan will look like in this one.

As for Hawke....BORING. The trailers made him look bad ass and younger too. But then he opens his mouth and bleh. Horrible voice choice. He's not the Commander Sheperd equivalent they were aiming for.

There is certainly a lot I dont like right now. I hate the way you level your character and the leveling up trees are messy. And while Dragon Age didnt have a brilliant cast of characters, this cast seems less interesting so far. Of course it's a very small sample size. They're dressed a little prettier, however. haha. And that said, I actually found it kind of odd at the level of detail Varric had, in comparison to the others. He was really well done, while some of the others were pretty bland looking. Especially that woman questioning him about Hawke. The pirate chick's outfit was pretty well done as well, but the facial features were not as good as Varric's. I'm nitpicking, though. lol. She was sporting Bioware's stereotypical HUGE BOOBS. hahaha.

I'm obviously still getting it and anticipating it...it's one of my most looked forward to games. It's just going to take some getting used to. I'm still really excited to see the slower parts of the game. The in town exploration and all the new environments they created. This demo was alllllll action. I really hope they didnt dumb everything down and make it overly simplistic in the process. I want lots of character interaction.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I asked Flameth is I could be a dragon. That was kind of cool. But I do agree he doesn't really have much of a presence as you would like.

The one thing that REALLY bothered me was the amount of time between entering combat and some sort of conversation. That wasn't smooth at all and could be a big technical issue going forward.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 02-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I asked Flameth is I could be a dragon. That was kind of cool. But I do agree he doesn't really have much of a presence as you would like.

The one thing that REALLY bothered me was the amount of time between entering combat and some sort of conversation. That wasn't smooth at all and could be a big technical issue going forward.
I thought that was a funny line...I used it as well. It wasn't presented in the best fashion, though. He disappoints me. I had totally different expectations when I saw the trailers. Like that little sequence when he's walking toward the camera at the end of the trailers...he looks so bad ass.

Like I said, I'm still really excited for it...but like Mass Effect 2, these changes will def. take a while to get used to.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, I get where you are coming from with that. I was under the impression he would be more badass too.

We'll have to see the full version and how it pans out, but I'm digging the design of the characters/world and the gameplay at this point.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I immediately regret reading this thread. I hate going into games with expectations beyond what I've made on my own....

thanks guys ;)

Last edited by BeerBaron : 02-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

lol. If it's any consolation...the guys over at the Bioware forums are absolutely eating the demo up. They love whats become of the game. So dont let my view on it, skew your expectations. haha.

That said, I saw some of them praise the voice work. Now that's a head scratcher, imo. lol. Not a member over there, just wanted to check out the forums to see some fan reviews.

I'm actually surprised at how accepting they were to the new gameplay. A lot of people love Dragon Age for that pause and play/command style. Now it's a hack n slash, but they dont seem to care at all. Pretty interesting considering the heat Bioware took from the faithful for making Mass Effect's gameplay adhere more to the mainstream. But whatever...their response seems overwhelming positive...and I can be a hard guy to please initially. lol.

edit...

and semi-related...I dont think I'll play the Mass Effect 3 demo if there is one. I'm beginning to learn that playing demos for my most anticipated games, kind of lessen the experience of playing the actual full copy for the first time. There is a lot more awe and excitement, when you see these things, booting up the game for the first time. And a demo should never ever, ever...start the player off at the beginning sequences of a game, imo. Save all that good stuff for the real deal...just put the player somewhere random or in the middle somewhere. I want there to be a little excitement in playing that opening sequence for real. If you understand what I'm getting at. lol.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-22-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I played Origins when it first came out because my roommate got it through Gamefly. Enjoyed it a lot. Bought it myself when I bought my own 360 last fall, and enjoyed it (except for the fact that the expansion required a hard drive...**** that ****.)

Since then I played both Mass Effects for the first time and I think it's a superior product.

So if they get DA2 closer to Mass Effect standards, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NBA2k11 Question here...

How the **** do I get the players I want to start to actually start?

I've tried going to Player Roles and put the guy I want to start as "Starter" as well as demoting the other guy to "Role Player" but he keeps ******* starting and I don't know how to change it.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
lol. If it's any consolation...the guys over at the Bioware forums are absolutely eating the demo up. They love whats become of the game. So dont let my view on it, skew your expectations. haha.

That said, I saw some of them praise the voice work. Now that's a head scratcher, imo. lol. Not a member over there, just wanted to check out the forums to see some fan reviews.

I'm actually surprised at how accepting they were to the new gameplay. A lot of people love Dragon Age for that pause and play/command style. Now it's a hack n slash, but they dont seem to care at all. Pretty interesting considering the heat Bioware took from the faithful for making Mass Effect's gameplay adhere more to the mainstream. But whatever...their response seems overwhelming positive...and I can be a hard guy to please initially. lol.
Here's what they're saying on /v/.

Now, a few things here;

/v/ HATES everything.

/v/ hates this game especially because A) They love the Witcher and have a major thing for the Witcher 2 B) They actually sort of tolerated Dragon Age a bit(with revisionist history consideration and zero accountability as per usual on the internet).

But yeah, thought it was kind of funny and at least a little different than the Bioware forums haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Mass Effect is far and away the superior product. But Dragon Age is a really solid series. And yeah, they def. have intended to make it a little more Mass Effect esque with the changes...I just dont see the game being as grandiose in scale. It should still be amazing, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
NBA2k11 Question here...

I've tried going to Player Roles and put the guy I want to start as "Starter" as well as demoting the other guy to "Role Player" but he keeps ******* starting and I don't know how to change it.
You go to rotation its under coaching. Then you set your minutes and starters
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
NBA2k11 Question here...

Coaching ; Gameplan, ; Rotation

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

Now, a few things here;

/v/ HATES everything.

/v/ hates this game especially because A) They love the Witcher and have a major thing for the Witcher 2 B) They actually sort of tolerated Dragon Age a bit(with revisionist history consideration and zero accountability as per usual on the internet).

But yeah, thought it was kind of funny and at least a little different than the Bioware forums haha.
I saw "FFXII is a Masterpiece" and busted up laughing.....my coworkers now think I'm more insane than usual.

Quote:
Mass Effect is far and away the superior product. But Dragon Age is a really solid series. And yeah, they def. have intended to make it a little more Mass Effect esque with the changes...I just dont see the game being as grandiose in scale. It should still be amazing, though.
If you would have told me 3 months ago that I'd be looking forward to ME3 more than DA2, I'd have called you crazy, but it's the truth now.

Still plan to get DA2 when it comes out, so I'll be able to make up my own mind then.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:

Now, a few things here;

/v/ HATES everything.

lol. Yeah the Bioware forums are flooded with positivity. I thought it a little odd, myself. Because they're not your typical "sheep" to the developer at least. They tore them a new one when Mass Effect 2 first hit. These reviews should be interesting.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

More interesting Dragon Age 2 related stuff from /v/;

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Coaching ; Gameplan, ; Rotation
THANK YOU!!!!!

After switching the rotation I went on a 9-1 run. Before changing the rotation, I started the season 0-7. Fail.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Oblivion was a lore raping piece of **** and Morrowind was godlike perfection. Don't make me get my Dagoth Ur avi back out!

I liked both Mass Effects...my biggest issue is that 2 took away the radar in the bottom right. I watched that more than I watched the actual gameplay half the time...

KOTOR was waaaay better than KOTOR2. 2 didn't even feel like a finished game at times....it's like the got 75% done and just pulled the plug and sent out the game.

Never played Fallout. Never heard of the "the Witcher."
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Mass Effect 2 was the better game far and away and this is coming from someone who thought games literally couldn't get any better than the first one. It took me a bit to adapt and see the changes for what they were, but after I did it was incredible. Playing through as a Vanguard was one of the coolest things ever in the history of evers.

KOTOR 2 had some good ideas, but failed the execute them properly. Just like every Obsidian RPG ever haha. Alpha Protocol, KOTOR 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2...all failed to deliver on the promises and expectations put on them.

The Witcher is a pretty good game that not many people played since it's a PC exclusive. They tried to be as old school as possible with it which I'm all for as long as you don't get into "dated" territory, which they did unfortunately.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I liked both Mass Effects...my biggest issue is that 2 took away the radar in the bottom right. I watched that more than I watched the actual gameplay half the time...
The radar is still there, but they hid it in one of the shoulder buttons I think.

Oddly enough, I didn't miss it. Mostly because when I played Mass Effect 1, I stuck a radar upgrade in my pistol (only) and since I never used the pistol in Mass Effect 1, my radar was jammed 3/4ths of the time.

Now that I think about it, was the pistol in Mass Effect 1 any good or did they just decide to overpower it in the sequel? I never used it in the first game, but at almost every opportunity in the second.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I actually didn't like the pistol very much in the second and only used it when I absolutely had to. It was worthless in the first game though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
The radar is still there, but they hid it in one of the shoulder buttons I think.

Oddly enough, I didn't miss it. Mostly because when I played Mass Effect 1, I stuck a radar upgrade in my pistol (only) and since I never used the pistol in Mass Effect 1, my radar was jammed 3/4ths of the time.

Now that I think about it, was the pistol in Mass Effect 1 any good or did they just decide to overpower it in the sequel? I never used it in the first game, but at almost every opportunity in the second.
I liked it just to be able to see what rooms were deadends and such. Like, wouldn't advance down corridors until I checked each and every room for loot.

And yeah, you could press the right joystick down iirc and get the radar briefly, but it wasn't as useful.

I also liked the ability to mark the map and the arrow would appear on the radar. Helped me keep from getting lost in confusing areas.

Quote:
I actually didn't like the pistol very much in the second and only used it when I absolutely had to. It was worthless in the first game though.
False. I played as an Infiltrator my 2nd time through and managed, by selling everything I got, to save up for the Spectre Master pistol shortly after getting Liara (the first storyline mission I did after the Citadel.)

I ****** **** up with that. It was way overpowered at the point in the game...it was actually more powerful than my sniper rifle until I got the Spectre Master version of that.