Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Human Revolution delayed to August 23rd :(((((((( Old news, but still hurts.

Still, not hearing anything but good things from those who have played it.

Good interview here.

This has some serious, serious potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Eh...

We all know that every publisher/developer does that. That guy just got caught.
Still doesn't make it any more ethical. Astroturfing has some interesting legal consequences in certain places and Bioware was flipping out last night on the forums. The entire saga there has actually been really interesting.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just realized this week that its pronounced day-us ex. i've always called it deuce ex, like I'm taking a deuce. i love the future punk style of the game. dragon age 2, deus ex, oblivion:skyrim, and mass effect 3....one heck of a good year for RPGs.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bioware forums right now are hilarious. They ban you on sight for posting even legitimate criticism of Dragon Age II. The consequence of that was people registering new accounts not linked to their EA account so they don't get locked out...now you aren't allowed to do that. It's their site and they're allowed to do what they want with it, I get that....but it's clearly a thinly veiled attempt at damage control as many people were disappointed with the title.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
The Bioware forums right now are hilarious. They ban you on sight for posting even legitimate criticism of Dragon Age II. The consequence of that was people registering new accounts not linked to their EA account so they don't get locked out...now you aren't allowed to do that. It's their site and they're allowed to do what they want with it, I get that....but it's clearly a thinly veiled attempt at damage control as many people were disappointed with the title.
"If you don't have anything good say we'll ban the **** out of you and not let you say anything at all!!"
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those that like the game def. seem to be in the minority at the Bioware forums, for sure. While some of them post obnoxious stuff, others have made some great arguments that I've def. agreed with. Pacing issues, recycled environments, uneven NPC interaction, weak story/no central focus, lack of companion customization, etc.

That said...the game has def. grown on me more from Act II on. The pacing of Act I is an absolute mess. You play for a good 15 or so hours and you barely interact with your large group of companions. In the following acts however, I've liked the amount of interaction I've had with my crew. There is actual personality there. I particularly liked Aveline's quest, "The Long Road". And Varric has some great moments...when you're allowed to talk to him. There should have been a lot more of this and I really enjoyed when he'd manipulate the story. I finally feel like I know a little something about these people...it took far too long. But at least it was included, I guess. The romances are still pretty F'd, however. And the recycled environments are insanely lazy and tiresome. The game is all side quests as you guys already know and the story can be incredibly weak at times. It's a disappoint and lazily done, but I'm still enjoying it. Especially after that overly long and tedious first act.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe Bioware would be this stupid to piss everybody off before they release The Old Republic. They are driving their most dedicated fanbase away before the release of their most expensive and risky game. "Let's go and ban people from the game they paid for because they took the time to sign up and become a part of our community and share their opinion."

I don't think it will make a huge impact for Mass Effect 3 or TOR, but I would seriously boycott and/or firebomb them if they did that crap to me.

And for the record, I'd score Dragon Age 2 as a 3.5 out of 5 and I loved it. I agree with everything said previously about recycled environments, lack of interaction, rush job, etc. Heck, the main character select screen isn't even proofread. Check out the Male and Female Mage text and the Male and Female Warrior text. It just looks like it wasn't even proofread to be identical. With that said, I'd still definitely buy the next game and probably an expansion or two if they are highly detailed and decently done like some of the ones for the first game.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 03-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How long did it take you guys to beat the game?

I'm at 24ish hours right now. I'd imagine I still have a decent chunk left of the game.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

like 38. I did almost everything that I had unlocked/was able to do.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-15-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did almost everything as well, but I don't think it took me 38....not sure of the exact number but I'd say it was probably around 30.

I also just had the regular version, no extra content or anything. Might make a few hours difference.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I did almost everything as well, but I don't think it took me 38....not sure of the exact number but I'd say it was probably around 30.

I also just had the regular version, no extra content or anything. Might make a few hours difference.
I left my xbox on for a couple hours too...not sure if it would actually count that or not. I also took an hour trying to rescue some girl from wounded coast, but she never appeared...I was at the right location with the quest highlighted as my primary.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I left my xbox on for a couple hours too...not sure if it would actually count that or not. I also took an hour trying to rescue some girl from wounded coast, but she never appeared...I was at the right location with the quest highlighted as my primary.
I couldn't find her either....that and finding all of the qunari swords are two I didn't do. I found a couple of the swords but apparently not all....didn't feel like digging around the entire game for them.

I wonder if that rescue one is a broken quest?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont have any real extra content either...not quest based that is.

And if you consider it Prologue, Act I, Act II, Act III.

The game is pretty much on the bad side until you reach Act II. The "adventure" leading up to the Deep Roads is a messy one. This is where their largest issue lies in the story for me right now. The pacing is horrid...it's too long if you do all the side quests. You have about one/two real conversations with party members in about a 15 hour period. You dont learn anything about these strangers, and I still have no idea why they decided to follow me in the first place. Then the Deep Roads Expedition itself, was nothing special. The "main quests" dont have an epic type feel to them...they feel like long (not even that long), side quests. It just really bothers me that there is no central story line. It does not make for a good game at all. But yeah, once you get through that mess...it gets better. Your companions suddenly become more involved in the whole thing. The game doesnt really stray from the mass side quest formula, but the fact that your crew plays a larger role, def. makes the game that much better in these following acts.

I cant say I'm surprised that there are a lot of Bioware die hards that said they couldnt finish the game. The game is pretty tiresome until after the Deep Roads. And even after, you've already seen every recycled area a bunch of times over...and you're in for a hundred more side quests. :/

The game play for me...is fine. Dragon Age is about the story. Origins game play kind of sucked, too. I cared more about my companions and the adventure, more so then the combat. So the fact that this game is pretty inept of a real strong story and they've placed less onus on the companion interactions...the game loses some points with me. I have no real qualms with the combat. I never play the game as some tactical RPG anyway...so the fact that I'm mashing the "A" button and mixing in "X" and "B" make no difference to me. It's simple...but I really dont care about the fighting all that much. If anything, there is too much of it at times...you cant walk through Kirkwall at night without getting in a new battle every 10 feet. And there are so many tacked on battles in this game, when I should just be exploring. How many people can you really jam into a tiny small back ally. Apparently hundreds with all the random spawning out of thin air in this game.

edit...

As for the companions in general...

I like Varric, Isabela, and Aveline has grown on me. The rest are nothing special at all, imo. Bethany is still in the Circle for me, Merrill is ******* naive and crazy, Fenris is just around, I dont care about the guy, he's boring, and Anders is incredibly lame.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Also Bulletstorm only has like a 5.5hour long campaign and no competitive multi. I'd definitely side with Homefront between the two.
A friend of mine said he beat the campaign of Homefront in 3 hours. Pretty crazy, if so.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I think some of the early game disconnect could have been avoided if they made it a little more linear, allowing you to delve into the MQ right away before scattering your brain with side quests, and didn't have you meet the full team until the 2nd act.

Like, I'd have it so that you go into the Deep Roads with the Champion, your sibling, Ginger and Varric. And I'd make it fairly linear up until that point, since each of those people has a reason for joining you.

Like, you arrive in Kirkwall the same way, and sign up with the Mercs. During your time with the Mercs, you get Varric's attention and he tells you to come up with the coin to fund the expedition. Then, have 3 fairly set quests that get you the money you need. You can do them in any order and they help you to meet some others in the game, like perhaps one of the quests is to help Ginger ***** and you get rewarded by the city guard. Another can be to rescue the Vicounts son, and he rewards you handsomely. And then another random quest that gets you some money.....bam, there are your sovereigns.

You give them to Bartrand, and he says you now need a map, and Varric knows of a Gray Warden in the city (Anders.) You do some kind of quest for Anders, get the map, and get to know him a little but he doesn't join you just yet.

Then do the Deep Roads, and come out with your mansion and riches, and then there can start to be more sidequests and companion quests.

I think that way, it would establish the MQ right away in the game, and give the story and companions more meat to them rather than have random strangers joining up with you.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
A friend of mine said he beat the campaign of Homefront in 3 hours. Pretty crazy, if so.
I heard it was about 6 hours. I wouldnt buy either one of those games, personally. Homefront is all about the online play with that run time. I heard it's supposed to be a great story, but 6 hours or less? BLEH.

edit...If I was choosing between those two games...I'd choose Metro 2033. :D :P

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-15-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I couldn't find her either....that and finding all of the qunari swords are two I didn't do. I found a couple of the swords but apparently not all....didn't feel like digging around the entire game for them.

I wonder if that rescue one is a broken quest?
I looked up where the swords were. It was worth it - the weapon you get is sweet.

The rescue quest is broken for everyone.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I do agree that the game becomes much more enjoyable after the first act....but that first 15 hours(Over half the game for me) does so much to start it off bad that it's hard to get past it.

The biggest thing for me though was the lack of any kind of exploration or discovery. Within two hours, you discover every location in the game pretty much, sans a few minor places. That's so incredibly lame. Kirkwall isn't even super well done like they said it would be either. There's no feeling of wonder or excitement. It's all just filler to get from recycled environment to recycled environment.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont even like fighting games...but I had a blast playing the Mortal Kombat demo on the PS3 today. It's pretty sweet.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Anyone actually beat that High Dragon? Pretty damn cheap boss. Its health barely depletes at all and then it has like a thousand dragon babies. I even turned it on casual for this battle and still got destroyed. Seems like something I may have to complete with a mage in another play through, because my warrior cant do **** to it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Anyone actually beat that High Dragon? Pretty damn cheap boss. Its health barely depletes at all and then it has like a thousand dragon babies. I even turned it on casual for this battle and still got destroyed.
Beat it on the first try but it was pretty damn intense. Walked away with a major sense of accomplishment about that one. The final shot on it was a cleaved scythe from my two handed Hawke too, so it was extra badass.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Beat it on the first try but it was pretty damn intense. Walked away with a major sense of accomplishment about that one. The final shot on it was a cleaved scythe from my two handed Hawke too, so it was extra badass.
Well...I have no idea how you did it. Because my people are getting raped. haha. That said, I did use the useless Isabela the first time around. She's only good for one thing, and it's not combat.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I despise the hell out of everything about Isabela. One of the top five most hated vidya characters for me. Seriously sets female characters in video games back five years. Not that Merrill or Aveline were a whole lot better, but at least they weren't straight up whores. I didn't like Jack from Mass Effect 2 either, but at least she was severely ****** up instead of a daddy issues pole dancer with swords.

I went with Anders, Two Handed Hawke, Aveline, and Varic for that fight. Anders just healed and buffed the crap out of everyone. As soon as the lesser dragons spawned I popped cleave and Whirlwind'ed the biggest grouping I could find(which pretty much makes any fight easy). Also used the Dog(which I seldom had reason to employ) for the fight and that made dealing with the the mobs a whole lot easier.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I do the same thing with small dragons...but I'm gonna try a few other things this time around. I've also had no need to upgrade weapons for my companions to this point...might as well now, and equip some frost runes. See how it goes. I've seriously been ignoring the whole aspect because I've run into no problems during combat. My squad looks pretty damn prepared now. I always neglect my companions, until I find it dire, it seems. ha.

As for Isabela...she's not so bad. She's your stereotypical sex pot with huge boobs. If you romance her, of course she starts to change her thought process a bit as she finds love and what not. She's had some funny lines as well. This game doesnt have anything close to as good as romancing Morrigan, however. These arent nearly as well done, despite Bioware claiming to have spent a lot of time on the romances this time around. meh. I enjoyed the Ashley and Miranda romances.

edit...

As for something else...I have no idea how to fully upgrade a companion's armor. I thought I bought all the available upgrades, but apparently all of their armors have a long way to go.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I do the same thing with small dragons...but I'm gonna try a few other things this time around. I've also had no need to upgrade weapons for my companions to this point...might as well now, and equip some frost runes. See how it goes. I've seriously been ignoring the whole aspect because I've run into no problems during combat. My squad looks pretty damn prepared now. I always neglect my companions, until I find it dire, it seems. ha.
I really didn't upgrade until the very very end either. There was no real reason to besides some basic stuff every now and again. The fact companions couldn't equip armor made it so much less interesting. I get why they did it aesthetically, but it defiantly took away a layer of depth.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I really didn't upgrade until the very very end either. There was no real reason to besides some basic stuff every now and again. The fact companions couldn't equip armor made it so much less interesting. I get why they did it aesthetically, but it defiantly took away a layer of depth.
I totally agree.

By the way, I just killed that dragon fairly easily. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS