Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:26 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Possible coup d'etat forming in Oakland?

Link

Well, this is what everyone has been wanting for years. Remove Davis from power. Honestly, I do not see this happening though. As a man who took ownership of the Raiders through a coup himself, Al Davis has set himself up with as secure a position as possible.

The only option seems to be for the NFL to get involved, but that would require the minority owners to take the case to the NFL. A Raider team that is competitive is good for the NFL--it is unlikely the Raiders will be competitive until Davis is out of the controlling ownership.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's no solution here. Oakland fans just need to cry into their pillow for a few years till Davis shuffles off this mortal coil .

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
There's no solution here. Oakland fans just need to cry into their pillow for a few years till Davis shuffles off this mortal coil .
aka never?

If this guy lives another 5 years that's a whole lot more disaster to clean up. At least someone is trying to get him out.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What that means is that despite the fact that Davis is dictator of the Oakland Raiders, he has to abide by the bylaws and contracts of the National Football League. In the normal context of football operations, this means that he has to obey the salary cap, rules of free agency and draft order. However, if the limited partners can convince the NFL leadership that Al Davis is no longer running the team in a manner consistent with league standards, theoretically the league can step in.
I really don't see how you can prove that he's running the team incompetently, according to the guidelines the NFL sets. Unless he starts tampering with other players or something like that, you can't really make a strong enough case for the NFL to really take any action.

It's a nice glimmer of hope for Raiders fans, but your best option is still for nature to take it's course and.. umm.. "give" you all a new leader.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It has to be theatrical and dramatic.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
It has to be theatrical and dramatic.
Yeah, maybe someone can challenge him to a duel! And then Davis will turn into a bat and fly away into the moonless night to rise again when the hunger is once again upon him.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now, now - let's not get too crazy.

With Millen now gone from the Lions, I'd say getting rid of Davis as well would be way to much for NFL fans to handle.

Baby steps. I don't think I could handle that much positive change in one season.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to know the thoughts of the rest of the board.

Who has worse management/ownership. The Lions or Raiders?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raiders. At least Ford understands the importance of continuity in management. Granted, he stuck with a dud far too long, but at least he gave someone ample time to prove their worth.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Raiders. At least Ford understands the importance of continuity in management. Granted, he stuck with a dud far too long, but at least he gave someone ample time to prove their worth.
And what exactly has that done for the Lions for the past, say, 30 years?

One playoff win?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post

One playoff win?
Uh, EXCUSE ME.. that's 50 Years! Get your facts straight, poncho.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Uh, EXCUSE ME.. that's 50 Years! Get your facts straight, poncho.
Haha, actually i had posted 50 originally, but then edited to say 30 cause i didn't remember if i had the number i had heard on ESPN properly. But yeah, it has been 50.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a survivor of the Millen era, I would urge Raiders fans to remain vigilant. Start holding protests. Al Davis is now the clear-cut craziest man in football.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
As a survivor of the Millen era, I would urge Raiders fans to remain vigilant. Start holding protests. Al Davis is now the clear-cut craziest man in football.
He has been for a while, I think Millen was regarded as the dumbest, but Davis has the corner on crazy.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha, actually i had posted 50 originally, but then edited to say 30 cause i didn't remember if i had the number i had heard on ESPN properly. But yeah, it has been 50.
I'm not sure which would hurt more over the last 20 though, never sniffing the playoffs, or having your owner give away 3 superbowls through trades and his own stupidity.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Raiders made the Super Bowl 6 years ago, don't forget that.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
The Raiders made the Super Bowl 6 years ago, don't forget that.
Ah, the glory days.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I'm not sure which would hurt more over the last 20 though, never sniffing the playoffs, or having your owner give away 3 superbowls through trades and his own stupidity.
That's like saying having been married and then divorced to __(insert beautiful woman here)___ thanks to your own stupidty is worse than not having had her at all.

You still got to hit it for a few years.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Well its more like saying, I wonder whats worse "banging the ugly broad" or "banging the hot broad, only to throw her to the curb and then watch your mates all get a turn"

Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As Xio said... keep the faith. I kept bringing up the possibility of Millen being fired and no one would go with me. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!! But the two crappy ownerships get turned around.....? No way.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
As Xio said... keep the faith. I kept bringing up the possibility of Millen being fired and no one would go with me. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!! But the two crappy ownerships get turned around.....? No way.
unplausible!

seriously though... i think the raiders have been more inept over the past 5 years than the lions... and this is a what have you done for me lately league...

i mean... sarf went from being "still" to "slightly"...

that says something

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:

One playoff win?
lol. A good point, but it's subjective, and I still think Al Davis trumps all in poor management & leadership. The guy breeds instability & lousy decision making similar to the that of the Lions, but he meddles way more in the affairs of those he hires. Thus he should bear more responsibility for the mess and is, in my opinion, the epitome of bad management/leadership in the NFL.

At least Ford Sr. can say "well, we gave Millen all the power to succeed and he failed." - passing the buck for the horrible state of the franchise. Davis does not have that option.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
lol. A good point, but it's subjective, and I still think Al Davis trumps all in poor management & leadership. The guy breeds instability & lousy decision making similar to the that of the Lions, but he meddles way more in the affairs of those he hires. Thus he should bear more responsibility for the mess and is, in my opinion, the epitome of bad management/leadership in the NFL.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that.Up untill Kiffin came along we had the same coach around for 4 years.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
I'm not sure I completely agree with that.Up untill Kiffin came along we had the same coach around for 4 years.
Um.. did you forget about Art Shell? Norv Turner, Bill Callahan?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Um.. did you forget about Art Shell? Norv Turner, Bill Callahan?
Different schemes but all puppets.