Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be the offensive rookie of the year in the 2008-2009 NFL season
Matt Ryan, QB Atlanta Falcons 10 15.38%
Darren McFadden, RB Oakland Raiders 3 4.62%
Jonathan Stewart, RB Carolina Panthers 5 7.69%
Joe Flacco, QB Baltimore Ravens 2 3.08%
Felix Jones, RB Dallas Cowboys 6 9.23%
Chris Johnson, RB Tennessee Titans 17 26.15%
Eddie Royal, WR Denver Broncos 5 7.69%
Matt Forte, RB Chicago Bears 10 15.38%
DeSean Jackson, WR/ RS Philadelphia Eagles 7 10.77%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Not after he gets 23 yards on 14 carries against Philly :)

DeSean Jackson kthxbai
you mean 75 yards and a score?

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
you mean 75 yards and a score?
75 yards? Is he going to get 46 carries?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
75 yards? Is he going to get 46 carries?
if that's what it takes to get my fantasy team a win :)

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Felix would have tore the Eagle defense up. :) That would have been a good game to get him involved in the offense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
if that's what it takes to get my fantasy team a win :)
I'd bench him this week. Brodrick Bunkley will rip out the hearts of the Bears' interior OL.
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Felix would have tore the Eagle defense up. :) That would have been a good game to get him involved.
And we know this...how?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And we know this...how?
Because Felix is unstoppable.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
I'd bench him this week. Brodrick Bunkley will rip out the hearts of the Bears' interior OL.
He's never coming out of my starting lineup

Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
You beat me to it. Just got to read it. But yeah, that would have been the first way i would have attacked your argument.

It's easy to look composed when your team has a huge lead and you're going up against a crummy defense. He does have sweet touch on his pass, and has proven me wrong in some aspects of his game, but i'd wait to see more of him, especially when his team is in a dog fight. Besides, when he put up his high qb ratings, he threw the ball 13 and 18 times. Not very impressive, honestly.
Sorry, but you are wrong. His play has been impressive. Had Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Matt Ryan, or any young QB failed on those 13 or 18 times they would have been bailed out with the 'he is young' excuse. Matt Ryan should get his props for doing what a top QB would with those numbers of attempts. From the first time he stepped on the field Ryan has looked like a NFL QB, from how he plays to how he acts. I can't say the same for many other young QBs.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. His play has been impressive. Had Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Matt Ryan, or any young QB failed on those 13 or 18 times they would have been bailed out with the 'he is young' excuse. Matt Ryan should get his props for doing what a top QB would with those numbers of attempts. From the first time he stepped on the field Ryan has looked like a NFL QB, from how he plays to how he acts. I can't say the same for many other young QBs.
The point as OROY isn't to look good for a rookie, but it's to be the best offensive rookie out there. There are RBs who can come into the league and be not only good for a rookie, but be one of the better RBs in the league. While Ryan has been solid as a rookie QB, you can't say that about him with a straight face, that's for sure.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um, how am i wrong? None of my argument was presented as factual, so how exactly can i be wrong?

I said he has looked good, but i wouldn't look too much into the fact that he looked composed against the Lions and Chiefs. Against a playoff team he put up awful numbers (didn't see the game). Let me reiterate; I wanna see how he looks when he's in a dogfight, not up by 20 points against the Lions.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
The point as OROY isn't to look good for a rookie, but it's to be the best offensive rookie out there. There are RBs who can come into the league and be not only good for a rookie, but be one of the better RBs in the league. While Ryan has been solid as a rookie QB, you can't say that about him with a straight face, that's for sure.
I'm not going to take a backup RB over a QB who helped his team make a turnaround. So that eliminates Felix Jones.

I don't see Eddie getting the numbers to be the rookie of the year, receptions wise.

Ditto with DeSean Jackson, although he could make an affect on special teams.

The main competition I see for Ryan is Forte, Stewart, and Johnson. McFadden is good, but he will split carries and at the moment has some injury concerns.

If one of those three does turn out to be a top tier RB, then fine. But I don't see it happening. And if they are top 15 RBs and Ryan is a top 15 QB, I think Ryan wins out.

If I'm unbiased, I would say one of Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Matt Ryan will win it. If you put up 2,800 yards passing, 20 TD and a 80 passer rating as a rookie, along with turning a team in turmoil around as a rookie, then you deserve to be a canidate and probably a winner. Those are about the stats I predict this year. But it's early.

As far as the backs are concerned, I don't see Stewart getting the yards to match the other two. Johnson will probably lack touchdowns, but he may make up for it in the receiving game. I'd say Forte, followed closely by Johnson, will be the top two rookie backs this year.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Ditto with DeSean Jackson, although he could make an affect on special teams.
Why not? He's going to be a #3 at worst, and until Curtis comes back, he'll be a #2.

And it's an effect.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I wouldnt be so quick to write off Felix, either. Granted he isnt impacting the game as much as Ryan would but, if he continues to rack up the Tds, he def. has a chance at the award. Scoring will go a long way in the voting.

It's a wide open race.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I wouldnt be so quick to write off Felix. Granted he isnt impacting the game as much as Ryan would but, if he continues to rack up the Tds, he def. has a chance. Scoring will go a long way in the voting.
And because he plays for the Cowboys...
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If I'm unbiased, I would say one of Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Matt Ryan will win it. If you put up 2,800 yards passing, 20 TD and a 80 passer rating as a rookie, along with turning a team in turmoil around as a rookie, then you deserve to be a canidate and probably a winner. Those are about the stats I predict this year. But it's early.
You honestly feel Matt Ryan will put up 20 touchdowns? When was the last time a rookie came in and did that (seriously, i don't know)?

It'll be hard for him, seeing as he has already seen two of the most cupcake defenses he'll see all year, and he only has two td's through three games.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Um, how am i wrong? None of my argument was presented as factual, so how exactly can i be wrong?

I said he has looked good, but i wouldn't look too much into the fact that he looked composed against the Lions and Chiefs. Against a playoff team he put up awful numbers (didn't see the game). Let me reiterate; I wanna see how he looks when he's in a dogfight, not up by 20 points against the Lions.
He played horrible in the first half of the Bucs game. He started 0-8 with two interceptions. In the second half he remained composed and almost led a comeback, Earnest Graham stopped that with a long touchdown run. Ryan was 13-25 158 yards 0 TD 0 picks after the bad start. Still not great numbers, but he looked a lot better.

Anyways, I'm done arguing. Ryan has looked like a NFL QB from day one, something rookie QBs rarely do. If he turns this team into a .500 or better ballclub then he will be a rookie of the year type player.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
And because he plays for the Cowboys...
That always helps in voting as well. Myself, I dont think he'll win it, there are just too many backs getting big carries and Desean has looked great but, Felix does deserve a mention and may just surprise everyone. Fantastic year for the offensive rookies.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You honestly feel Matt Ryan will put up 20 touchdowns? When was the last time a rookie came in and did that (seriously, i don't know)?

It'll be hard for him, seeing as he has already seen two of the most cupcake defenses he'll see all year, and he only has two td's through three games.
I was probably a bit high on the TDs. More like 16-18. But when the running game is going so well there is no need to pass, same when you are up by 20. Matt Ryan threw like five times in the second half of last weeks game, we aren't trying to put up big numbers. Eventually we will probably be throwing about 25 times a game on average.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you wanted to make a thread about why you think Matt Ryan should win, why not just do that? It's clear you don't give a **** about any other opinion.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I was probably a bit high on the TDs. More like 16-18. But when the running game is going so well there is no need to pass, same when you are up by 20. Matt Ryan threw like five times in the second half of last weeks game, we aren't trying to put up big numbers. Eventually we will probably be throwing about 25 times a game on average.
Which is exactly why i feel he won't win. Lets say he puts up 15 td's and 9 int's, with around 2200 yards. That's not exactly gonna blow away voters. Having Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood isn't exactly gonna help him have bigger numbers, so that's how i see it. He does look good, and eventually he'll be a pro-bowler, but i don't think he's gonna have the numbers to out-score Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden and DeSean Jackson in the ballots.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
If you wanted to make a thread about why you think Matt Ryan should win, why not just do that? It's clear you don't give a **** about any other opinion.
Read the thread, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Someone said why they think he won't win, I said why I think he will. It's called conversation. I then stated why I disagree with others winning, and agree that players like Forte and Johnson have just as good a shot.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Which is exactly why i feel he won't win. Lets say he puts up 15 td's and 9 int's, with around 2200 yards. That's not exactly gonna blow away voters. Having Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood isn't exactly gonna help him have bigger numbers, so that's how i see it. He does look good, and eventually he'll be a pro-bowler, but i don't think he's gonna have the numbers to out-score Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden and DeSean Jackson in the ballots.
The media loves winners, and if he makes a 4-12 team go 7-9 to 9-7 then I think he will win.

And he won't put up just 2,200 yards (137.5 per game), I'd say between 2,500 (156 per game) and 2,700 (168 per game).

Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
The media loves winners, and if he makes a 4-12 team go 7-9 to 9-7 then I think he will win.

And he won't put up just 2,200 yards (137.5 per game), I'd say between 2,500 (156 per game) and 2,700 (168 per game).
Thing is, i don't think they'll win 7 games. They've won two already, and looking ahead at the schedule (all things constant), i only see three more teams they have a legitimate shot at beating, and that's the Bears, Rams and Raiders.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Thing is, i don't think they'll win 7 games. They've won two already, and looking ahead at the schedule (all things constant), i only see three more teams they have a legitimate shot at beating, and that's the Bears, Rams and Raiders.
A legitimate shot at beating? Umm, okay. We're not world beaters, but a great running game, solid QB play and a solid defense will give us a shot in most games.

I don't expect playoffs, but we will have at least a shot at beating most teams we play this season.