Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

finally, it's official: joe horn is a falcon.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...08falcons.html

has comment from blank, so must be official. multi years, at least three, but only $2mill in guarantees. that means we've really limited our exposure even if things don't work out. that's actually a phenomenal deal in this market, even if the non-guaranteed money seems large when it is released.

personally, i think it's a great signing, and he'll give Vick a reliable target and the young'uns a mentor they can respect.

Petrino, Jackson and Horn will finally get the best out of Jenkins and White - and therefore Vick.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

finally, we all knew it was gonna happen, but now its official..
He'll be a great target for Vick, and hopefully he trusts him like he trusts Crumpler..... can you say BREAKOUT year for VICK

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
finally, we all knew it was gonna happen, but now its official..
He'll be a great target for Vick, and hopefully he trusts him like he trusts Crumpler..... can you say BREAKOUT year for VICK
Well, let's hope so, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. WHile the WR corps should be improved, we should not forget that it is a new system, and while we may hope that Vick will settle into it immediately - partly because (shock, horror) it will actually be designed around him - it is not really fair that we expect it of him.

We shall see. As things go, I am hopeful.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:29 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who would you gauys rather have???

FREE AGENTS::::
Deon Grant
Gibril Wilson
Deon Grant
Jordan Babineaux

DRAFT::::::
LaRon Landry
Reggie Nelson
Mchael Griffin
Brandon Meriwether
Eric Weddle

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default FS We (the BIRDS) NEED

Draft: Reggie Nelson
I like Laron Landry but he seems to remind me too much of Chris Crocker. Good tackler with a knack of getting beat deep.

FA: Ken Hamlin
He wasn't on your list, but he's a young vet who can give us FS help/depth being that Crocker will now be backing up Lawyer Milloy at SS.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would want hamlin if he didn't demand too much money. if not we take a safety in the second.

i've seen babineaux play and he's pretty physical but other than that how is he in coverage?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i would want hamlin if he didn't demand too much money. if not we take a safety in the second.

i've seen babineaux play and he's pretty physical but other than that how is he in coverage?
Babs is not that descent in coverage. Remember he's a converted Safety. He's a true LB, so in reality he thinks 'Hit First Cover Second'

Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

well, that sucks. apparently the official contract for horn is 4 years, $19m, $7.5m guaranteed. that's a lot of guaranteed money for a 35 year old. and that's a lot of our cap room gone...

i guess the restructuring starts now.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His contract is probably back-loaded. He's probably only going to be a 3-year Falcon. In actuality, this contract is not bad in contrast to some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
His contract is probably back-loaded. He's probably only going to be a 3-year Falcon. In actuality, this contract is not bad in contrast to some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around.
I agree SHIVER. I think it is back loaded as well with the possibility of a lot of bonuses and incentives. I'm very happy about this acquisition. He is only 2 years older than Kerney, who just received a 6 year deal worth double what we're giving HORN.

He is just what we needed. We are loaded with young WRs with no direction. Especially with the early acquisition of Fred Gibson, which I think will rejuvenate his career playing in front of his home town crowd again. He will challenge Jennings for that 5th WR spot.

Just put it like this: IT CAN'T POSSIBLY GET ANY WORST.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Fred Gibson is a Falcon now? Hrmm...I doubt he even makes the roster.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I doubt he beats out Adam Jennings. Just because Jennings provides ST versatility.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

I like the Gibson pick up.. he could eventually take the place of Finneran. Not very fast, but he plays a good all around game.. And the pick up of Horn and Gibson completely knocks out our Calvin Johnson dreams ha

Sig by BK

Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gibson signing is not official yet.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
Gibson signing is not official yet.
he's officially signed up for camp, i believe, but not on the full roster; that's what i remember, at least.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Edwin Mulitalo has a visit scheduled for Atlanta. He is a 6'4" 350-lbs, 32-year old, Left Guard. I would love to add him, he is definitely a road grader. That would leave young depth as the only O-Line need on draft day, if they sign him.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Fred Gibson signed a camp contract back in Early Feb.. He wasn't active on an NFL roster which made him eligible to be signed. I think he will beat out Jennings. Jennings will take over as the full time KR/PR after the release/trade of Rossum, which I support 100%.

Anybody know if they retained YOUNGBLOOD?
I know Jamin Elliot will also make the squad which would give the Falcons tons of descent receivers.
Horn
Finn
White
Jenkins
Jennings
Gibson
Elliott
Youngblood?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Edwin Mulitalo has a visit scheduled for Atlanta. He is a 6'4" 350-lbs, 32-year old, Left Guard. I would love to add him, he is definitely a road grader. That would leave young depth as the only O-Line need on draft day, if they sign him.
what about left tackle?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I think the team's plan is to keep Gandy around, hoping Omiyale can beat him out in camp. The only immediate need is a starting Left Guard, ideally a big mauler. Then the rest of the line re-bulk up, after four of them lost weight to play in Gibbs' scheme. Four of the current starters all started in traditional schemes, at heavier weight, before slimming down to fit into the new system that was implemented in '04. Though, McClure, Weiner, Gandy, are all old, Forney nearing 30, so young depth should be a concern.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:50 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Mulitalo would be a great pick up, but we'll probably need to restructure a little to add him.

As for Horn, if it's true that it is $19mill, $7.5mill guaranteed in first two years, then i suspect that it will be a $3.5 mill cap hit for the first two years, then $6mill unguaranteed for the last two years. I'd be amazed if Horn wasn't just a two year falcon.

I'd like to add Levi Brown if we get #20ish for Schaub, but otherwise I agree that we will probably just be looking for depth. Fortunately, many people have commented that this is a good draft for OL depth.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

I saw on a mock that had the Falcons picking LaRon Landry in 1st round and Sydney Rice in 2nd round.. But i also saw that Griffin was there for us in the 2nd round.. would you guys like Landry and Griffin in our secondary? it will be young with Hall, Williams, Landry, Griffin but it would be great

Sig by BK

Old 03-10-2007, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
Mulitalo would be a great pick up, but we'll probably need to restructure a little to add him.

As for Horn, if it's true that it is $19mill, $7.5mill guaranteed in first two years, then i suspect that it will be a $3.5 mill cap hit for the first two years, then $6mill unguaranteed for the last two years. I'd be amazed if Horn wasn't just a two year falcon.

I'd like to add Levi Brown if we get #20ish for Schaub, but otherwise I agree that we will probably just be looking for depth. Fortunately, many people have commented that this is a good draft for OL depth.
According to NFL Network; 4 years, 15 million. I'd lean toward that number as being the most accurate.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone predict any more signings?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think we'll be doing much more, we don't have the $$$ to do much else.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Two new pieces of information:

Quote:
Free agent DT Ian Scott has set up a meeting with the Falcons.
He would be a fine Nose Tackle, in rotation with Grady Jackson.

Quote:
The Dolphins are discussing an Olindo Mare trade with the Browns, Saints, Giants, and Falcons, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
They would be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.