Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ok, its time to ask: Broncos OL W T F

I know this was actually a team weakness last season, and I know that Cutler does a solid job of getting the ball out (but its not like he's Drew Brees, so that ain't it), but what is up with these guys? 2 sacks in 5 games? Really? And against some fairly good pass rushing teams (TB, SD, Oak, NO).

Is Clady dominating? I know they replaced at least two starters, maybe more. But could someone who knows better than me come in here and elaborate? Are they really that good in pass pro, or is it a weird convergence of events; a statistical anomaly that will soon correct itself? I've been keeping tabs since week 3, just to see, and they didn't allow a sack again today. All this with a ZBS that is supposed to be weak against the pass rush.

A little illumination would be appreciated.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't had the chance to watch any games besides Oakland. But from what I gather, Clady has been dominant, and.. I don't really know because that can't be all of it. I guess njx will tell you it's that Pears is gone but IDK. I watched Ryan Harris in the preseason and he was awful. I heard tonight Cutler is the least contacted QB in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shanahan is a pretty good coach and olinemen always play great for him despite usually not doing anything for other teams. That might have something to do with it.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

zCaddyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i dont know but,i know that you guys where holding adams the whole game
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

to answer the original question, there's been many reasons why this line has performed much better in comparison to last years line. it all starts with the addition of clady who's been great in all aspects of the game. he's done a much better job of anchoring the line than lepsis did last season at the tackle position. casey wiegman has turned out to be one of the more underrated offseason signings that we've made in quite some time. he became the starting center when nalen went down early in training camp and has really helped solidify the interior of the line. ben hamilton, the starting left guard, is back and healthy after missing all of last season due to concussion symptoms. ryan harris has made a nice bounce back from a disappointing training camp and chris kuper has done well despite playing with a broken hand.

also, like the op mentioned, cutler helps his cause with his escapability and quick release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCaddyz View Post
i dont know but,i know that you guys where holding adams the whole game
the broncos were holding adams as much as the bucs were holding dumervil.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the bucs go called for holding him though. The broncos did not
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
they each got called once for holding. the bucs had a few false starts in addition to their holding penalty.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Based on what I've seen, the league quit calling offensive holding.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jay Cutler is just that good?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

Ryan Clady is one of the most technically sound pass defenders I have seen in a long time. Great thing about it is that he is young as well and will only get better with a full NFL offseason training and conditioning program. I love him and I thkn that once a team finds itself an elite OLT that solidfies the entire offensive line. Clady will be a top tier LT by his thrid year baring any severe injury. He really is that good and I think once you get yourself a top shelf LT everything else falls in place.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really a whole combination of things about the Broncos O-line that is improved this year. It's actually quite surprising, when you consider the entire line is different from last year, weather it be new players, or position changes. Last year the line consisted of Lepsis, Kuper, Nalen, Holland, Pears. This years line is Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris.

It's nothing but shocking that the completely new unit has been able to perform at this high of a level so far this year. A lot of Bronco fans, including myself, thought the O-line was going to be the weakness of the team, however so far this year it may be one of the strengths.

I've watched every game so far, and Clady really is dominating out there. If O-linemen got recognition, it wouldn't be too off-base to call him the rookie of the year so far.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Gaines Adams is held more than any other DE in the league, I'm sure of it. Remember the Saints game when he was tackled by J. Brown?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Gaines Adams is held more than any other DE in the league, I'm sure of it. Remember the Saints game when he was tackled by J. Brown?
Elvis Dumervil has something to say about that.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Elvis Dumervil has something to say about that.
As does Abraham, M. Williams, Freeney, and every other DE.

When you are looking for something every down, you're bound to see it a lot.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
As does Abraham, M. Williams, Freeney, and every other DE.

When you are looking for something every down, you're bound to see it a lot.
Would be pretty interesting if they actually had a stat called : Was Held, but not called. =)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Would be pretty interesting if they actually had a stat called : Was Held, but not called. =)
It would be ridiculously high. Gotta protect their golden boys.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, Bill Polian was on NFLN the other day talking about this. The host (whose name, oddly enough, was Randy Moss...lmfao) asked him if the league is seeing a shift towards smaller and faster defenders, especially in regards to defensive lineman, obviously in reference to Mathis and Freeney for the Colts, among a host of others league-wide. Polian surprised me with his answer. He said that we may have already seen the trend come and go, and that he believes that the pendulum is already swinging back the other way towards bigger, stronger guys. He cited the league trends in regard to holding as a major reason for this, and stated that it is basically only called on extreme violations.

I thought that was an unbelievably candid piece of commentary from a guy that is way up there in the NFL hierarchy. I mean, iirc, isn't the dude part of the competition committee? Very interesting stuff, imo.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Based on what I've seen, the league quit calling offensive holding.
As denoted by the newly effective and highly popularized "Dwight Freeney Headlock Block".

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
As denoted by the newly effective and highly popularized "Dwight Freeney Headlock Block".
Well the bugger is short so all they can grab is his head!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well the bugger is short so all they can grab is his head!
Just because he can get great leverage doesn't mean that the opposing LT should be allowed to hold him back by his head. The NFL is always talking about protecting the players, which is a good idea, but if they're going to do it, they should do it for every player, not just QBs and WRs.

and yes, I know that was a joke, I'm just upset over it since it's prevented him from making quite a few plays this season.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Actually, Bill Polian was on NFLN the other day talking about this. The host (whose name, oddly enough, was Randy Moss...lmfao) asked him if the league is seeing a shift towards smaller and faster defenders, especially in regards to defensive lineman, obviously in reference to Mathis and Freeney for the Colts, among a host of others league-wide. Polian surprised me with his answer. He said that we may have already seen the trend come and go, and that he believes that the pendulum is already swinging back the other way towards bigger, stronger guys. He cited the league trends in regard to holding as a major reason for this, and stated that it is basically only called on extreme violations.

I thought that was an unbelievably candid piece of commentary from a guy that is way up there in the NFL hierarchy. I mean, iirc, isn't the dude part of the competition committee? Very interesting stuff, imo.
You'd be surprised how often Polian criticizes NFL officiating, it happens basically any time he makes a media appearance. Go to colts.com and listen to his radio show, it's a very common occurrence for him to talk about the officiating (or lack thereof) and its negative effect on the games at times.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a lot of times, a good qb can make his pass protection look better than it really is. contrarily a poor qb will make it look worse.

I think its a combination of health, Clady, and Cutler. Also the emergence of some quality playmakers makes it more difficult to blitz often against the Broncos.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The low sack totals have more to do with Cutler and the playcallign then it does with the OL. The Broncos are running a ton of quick slants and short routes. Also Jay Cutler seems to be one of the few QBs in the league that realize it's better to throw the ball away then take a sack.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Broncos call a lot of boots legs and have so many play actions. Thus the defensive line can't just spot rush him, and they also have to stay disciplined against the run. Then you add that they have a good offensive line.

Good line + Playaction + never knowing where Cutler is going to be throwing from = not many sacks

Cutler is also pretty good with his feet.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
The low sack totals have more to do with Cutler and the playcallign then it does with the OL. The Broncos are running a ton of quick slants and short routes. Also Jay Cutler seems to be one of the few QBs in the league that realize it's better to throw the ball away then take a sack.
thats also true. 3 step drops and bootlegs definitely help out with pass protection issues.

theres also a misconception about the ZBS. that is is poor in terms of pass protection. thats not true. thats the case if you get average caliber ZBS players like the Broncos tend to do in the middle rounds.

if you get quality guys, the protection will be quality. Clady is a perfect example of this, a great fit for the ZBS, and also a high investment.