Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
And, could you explain to me how the hell that was Reggie Bush's fault?
Try being a Cowboys fan.

Quote:
He is not even the best HB in his own draft class. Maroney, Jones-Drew, Williams and Addai pre 2008
I'd love to see Reggie Bush with the last year and the year before that Colts line and with Peyton, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez and Harrison.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Perhaps they should addressed this before they got a franchise QB and a stud RB. What are they waiting for? We didn't have an oline either and Fassel and Accorsi played musical linemen with our offensive line. But all it takes is the mind set that you want to be stronger in the trenches and then work to upgrade it and it works. We worked hard to upgrade both sides and it worked pretty damn quick.

Outside the stats what running plays are they running? Is it the strength of the RBs? My main question would be what running concepts are being used in the Saints offense? Our running concepts are perfect for the things we are trying to do, and most importantly fit our backs!

Is this the case for the Saints and their RBs?
Bush doesn't fit the profile of what Payton likes doing in the run game. Payton likes pounding it between the tackles with a power runner, and attacking the defense vertically in the pass game.

Basically, he'd have to adjust a lot of his concepts and playbook to account for Bush, which he seems unwilling to do for the most part. He has made some adjustments, but Bush is the type of player that he should build his offense around, instead, he's using Bush as a compliment to his style.

Here's the thing with me, the bottom line is Bush needs to get the job done regardless. If he's as versatile as advertised, then adjust yourself to the playbook. Its not like Payton is using him poorly, its just that he's not using him as well as he could be.

But Bush still has a lot of work to do. Its easy to blame Payton for his woes, but his lack of vision and inability to run between the tackles is a large part of it.

My only suggestion to salvage him as a RB would be to try some ZBS and use his blazing speed to shoot up the gap. If that doesn't work, then just convert him to a full time WR. He can be a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of WR if developed into a true WR.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 10-07-2008 at 09:44 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush is a glorified 3rd down back who is amazing on special teams. If the Sean Payton had Sproles, Jones-Drew, or Feliz Jones and utilized them in the offense the way he does for Bush, there wouldn't be much of a drop off if there was any at all. Great player Bush is, but hasn't lived up to the hype, his #2 overall status, or his pay.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
oh i know, i agree with you.

im just trying to think of ways to salvage his promising athleticism. the man is explosive, theres no denying that.

but he hasn't put it together on the field yet.
Well the way I see it, is that he is obviously explosive, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be the 2nd overall pick or even talked about being the 1st overall pick. That explosive element which is in his running game, special teams, and recieving is what made him the complete package prospect. So that part I agree with you, but still I don't think he deserved to be # 2 overall and worth all that money. Hell, I'd rather save that money and invest it on a good offensive line, and then plug and play RBs.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
oh i know, i agree with you.

im just trying to think of ways to salvage his promising athleticism. the man is explosive, theres no denying that.

but he hasn't put it together on the field yet.
6 TD's in four games and he hasn't put it together on the field yet?

Oh man, this is too much.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bush doesn't fit the profile of what Payton likes doing in the run game. Payton likes pounding it between the tackles with a power runner, and attacking the defense vertically in the pass game.

Basically, he'd have to adjust a lot of his concepts and playbook to account for Bush, which he seems unwilling to do for the most part. He has made some adjustments, but Bush is the type of player that he should build his offense around, instead, he's using Bush as a compliment to his style.

Here's the thing with me, the bottom line is Bush needs to get the job done regardless. If he's as versatile as advertised, then adjust yourself to the playbook. Its not like Payton is using him poorly, its just that he's not using him as well as he could be.

But Bush still has a lot of work to do. Its easy to blame Payton for his woes, but his lack of vision and inability to run between the tackles is a large part of it.

My only suggestion to salvage him as a RB would be to try some ZBS and use his blazing speed to shoot up the gap. If that doesn't work, then just convert him to a full time WR. He can be a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of WR if developed into a true WR.
Between the tackles is fine, but what concepts are they running between the tackles? Are they sitting there running ISO and lead all game long? Are they running alot of tosses, power, G, zone kick or so on? The thing that we have done well this year is add a new concept, which is a blend of 2 oringinal concepts, and the two times we ran it we ran for + 30 yards and + 44 yards.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well the way I see it, is that he is obviously explosive, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be the 2nd overall pick or even talked about being the 1st overall pick. That explosive element which is in his running game, special teams, and recieving is what made him the complete package prospect. So that part I agree with you, but still I don't think he deserved to be # 2 overall and worth all that money. Hell, I'd rather save that money and invest it on a good offensive line, and then plug and play RBs.
i agree with you Shock. im a big believer of RBC, so you won't get any arguments from me.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

3 of those were on special teams though. My beef with Bush is mainly as a runner. He needs to improve that aspect of his game before i rub him down with the anointing oil.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, then just convert him to a full time WR. He can be a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of WR if developed into a true WR.
I respect you to a high degree bbd and you're one of my favorite posters on the board, but people that suggest this sometimes make me question their football intelligence.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Reggie Bush is a glorified 3rd down back who is amazing on special teams. If the Sean Payton had Sproles, Jones-Drew, or Feliz Jones and utilized them in the offense the way he does for Bush, there wouldn't be much of a drop off if there was any at all. Great player Bush is, but hasn't lived up to the hype, his #2 overall status, or his pay.
As if it's his responsibility to live up to everything the media thought he would be. If he "isn't what they thought he would be" the Saints have no one to blame but themselves, not Reggie or the hype.

Darren Sproles hasn't done a damn thing in this league other than return a few kicks back, so let's leave him out of the discussion. Or are you gonna bring up his pre-season game against Seattle?

Felix Jones isn't as athletically gifted as Bush, and neither is Jones Drew. In all sincerity, i'd still take Bush over any of them, easily.
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
3 of those were on special teams though.
How does that make any difference on the scoreboard, though?

Does he get LESS than 6 points for scoring on special teams?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Between the tackles is fine, but what concepts are they running between the tackles? Are they sitting there running ISO and lead all game long? Are they running alot of tosses, power, G, zone kick or so on? The thing that we have done well this year is add a new concept, which is a blend of 2 oringinal concepts, and the two times we ran it we ran for + 30 yards and + 44 yards.
i can't tell you for sure, i haven't payed as much attention to it as i should have.

i don't think they use many zone concepts. i think they pull guards too, but id have to go back and watch the games again to know for sure.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
As if it's his responsibility to live up to everything the media thought he would be. If he "isn't what they thought he would be" the Saints have no one to blame but themselves, not Reggie or the hype.

Darren Sproles hasn't done a damn thing in this league other than return a few kicks back, so let's leave him out of the discussion. Or are you gonna bring up his pre-season game against Seattle?

Felix Jones isn't as athletically gifted as Bush, and neither is Jones Drew. In all sincerity, i'd still take Bush over any of them, easily.
As a RB Jones-Drew has shown more. Despite all the athelticism, bottom line is Reggie Bush was drafted to be a RB. You don't draft an athlete at #2 overall and give him all that money. And as a RB, Reggie Bush hasn't exactly shined. My point was that most of Bush's success, in my opinion, has come from Sean Payton's creativity. Yes, a lot of that creativity is a success because Bush is so athletic. But if any one of those other guys were drafted at #2 and their head coach was forced to be creative to justify the pick, I could see them easily be as productive or right there.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I respect you to a high degree bbd and you're one of my favorite posters on the board, but people that suggest this sometimes make me question their football intelligence.
im just trying to draw up scenarios if plans A or B don't work. i think he's too gifted of an athlete to give up on completely if he never puts it together as a RB, so suggesting a switch to WR is just a suggestion. He has the explosion and the hands and route running ability for it, so why not? only if he continues to play poorly as a RB like i stated before.

Quote:
How does that make any difference on the scoreboard, though?

Does he get LESS than 6 points for scoring on special teams?
like i said though, im not questioning his ability to do that, my main issue is with his woes as a runner. let's face it, until he starts producing as a RB, he'll never be the player he could be. all the gadget plays, they won't work forever, he needs to show more consistency in the run game for him to earn all that guaranteed money.

Now like you have stated repeatedly, a lot of it is scheme and poor blocking, but alot of it is also on Bush. He needs to improve himself as well. Gain some weight, get stronger, be more patient, etc. Its not all just the team's fault, Bush should get some of the criticism as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

TDs are all well and good but that excuse can be used if the guy wasn't a top 10 pick, specifically # 2 overall, with talks about being # 1. That's like saying people who haven't committed a crime or gotten arrested should all get a gold star for being good today. You do get rewarded for what is expected of you. Bush should be doing that AND ALOT more for this potential, hype, salary, and draft position. See, good thing he is on the Saints, and not in a big market team, specifically the Jets. If the Jets traded up and got him, and if he did what he is doing in NY, he would be getting raped by the media. 2nd overall pick should be doing alot more than what he is right now.

The 2nd overall pick should have at least more than 1 100 yard game in his career. That's pretty miserable than he hasn't alot of 100 yard games.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
As a RB Jones-Drew has shown more. Despite all the athelticism, bottom line is Reggie Bush was drafted to be a RB. You don't draft an athlete at #2 overall and give him all that money. And as a RB, Reggie Bush hasn't exactly shined. My point was that most of Bush's success, in my opinion, has come from Sean Payton's creativity. Yes, a lot of that creativity is a success because Bush is so athletic. But if any one of those other guys were drafted at #2 and their head coach was forced to be creative to justify the pick, I could see them easily be as productive or right there.
I don't care if he was drafted to be a two-tech defensive tackle. He's producing offensively how he's being used. So just because Bush wouldn't put up the numbers he's doing in Payton's offense, that diminishes his value to the team? It doesn't make any sense, does it? There's some people here think that most of Brian Westbrook's success comes from Philadelphia's offense, does that make him any less of a running back? Absolutely not.

"...and their head coach was forced to be creative to justify the pick..."

Um, isn't that the head coach's job? They bring in the groceries, you cook dinner.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
TDs are all well and good but that excuse can be used if the guy wasn't a top 10 pick, specifically # 2 overall, with talks about being # 1. That's like saying people who haven't committed a crime or gotten arrested should all get a gold star for being good today. You do get rewarded for what is expected of you. Bush should be doing that AND ALOT more for this potential, hype, salary, and draft position. See, good thing he is on the Saints, and not in a big market team, specifically the Jets. If the Jets traded up and got him, and if he did what he is doing in NY, he would be getting raped by the media. 2nd overall pick should be doing alot more than what he is right now.

The 2nd overall pick should have at least more than 1 100 yard game in his career. That's pretty miserable than he hasn't alot of 100 yard games.
Now, you're discrediting TDs? Just to nitpick? Oh, this is gold.

"Um, yeah - he scores TDs but it's not as a runningback in through the tackles therefore OMGZ HE'Z A BUST ALERT~!!!"

Please.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

On a side note, my boy Vilma is beasting it again. Good to see him do his thing. Tracy Porter looks like a gamer too.

This team is much better than the 2-3 record they have. Even with the injuries.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:

How many 100 YFS games does he have?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
MJD and Addai have also had terrific offensive lines to work with so far. This year, with a suspect OL, Jones-Drew's ypc is 4.1, almost a full yard down from his career average (5.0). Addai's ypc has also dropped thanks to injuries on the Colts' OL, from a career average of 4.3 to 3.6. Coincidence?

Bush doesn't have an OL. The Saints, as a team, are averaging 3.2 ypc. Reggie's 3.3 is actually a bit higher. In '07, Reggie averaged 3.7, which is the exact same average as the team. In '06, Reggie averaged 3.6, while the team averaged 3.7.
I'm quoting myself again, because I want more replies to this.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Just by glancing at the stats it looks like it has been 13. I'll take that any day
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My preseason prediction was for Bush to score 19 TD's. I just could be right. Obviously wasted as a runner but as a WR he is very dangerous and I'd flank him out a lot more and let McAllister carry the load on the ground.
I don't even have to mention his punt and kick return ability. I'd use him to do both.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Now, you're discrediting TDs? Just to nitpick? Oh, this is gold.

"Um, yeah - he scores TDs but it's not as a runningback in through the tackles therefore OMGZ HE'Z A BUST ALERT~!!!"

Please.
wow you're really emotionally attached to Bush. Yeah bush has some TDs, but that's expected!!!!! HE IS THE 2nd overall pick! When you are 2nd overall and talks were you should be # 1, like there was, he should be doing what he is doing AND ALOT more! I don't understand why people can't get that through their head. The fact you're paying him 2nd overall money for that production is a rip off!

Is it too much to ask for a 1,000 yard season from the 2nd overall pick couple times?

If he can't then you're basically paying top dollar for someone who is producing avg results, which is robbery either way! Might as well saved your money and invested it at a different position.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Breaker
Rookie

Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Breaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush is the REAL Sam Bowie from that draft. That is all.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
What's YFS?