Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Glorified bus driver? The running game works because Eli makes the right calls at the line. He checks into runs in proper situations. It is the reason we have three RBs who are getting it done at huge clips. The O-line has a ton to do with it, but Eli does as well. More so than any RB on this team.

He makes more pre snap decisions and adjustments than any QB minus his brother. The reason the contract is more than Peyton's is because it is 4 years later.
Rumor has it that half of the stuff Peyton does at the line is bs.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Rumor has it that half of the stuff Peyton does at the line is bs.
Well both Eli and Peyton go into the huddle with a formation and three plays out of that formation. Then call what they think is the right play by reading the defense. I don't know of any other QBs with that on their table. I could be wrong though. Quite a few of Eli's incompletions are the result of the WRs not seeing what Eli does and running incorrect routes. Shockey was the king of that.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Glorified bus driver? The running game works because Eli makes the right calls at the line. He checks into runs in proper situations. It is the reason we have three RBs who are getting it done at huge clips. The O-line has a ton to do with it, but Eli does as well. More so than any RB on this team.

He makes more pre snap decisions and adjustments than any QB minus his brother. The reason the contract is more than Peyton's is because it is 4 years later.
I fail to see how having the authority to make pre-snap decisions make him one of the best quarterbacks in the league. If he's that good, become a O.C. You know what they say; If you can't do, teach. He's just not a very good passer.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well both Eli and Peyton go into the huddle with a formation and three plays out of that formation. Then call what they think is the right play by reading the defense. I don't know of any other QBs with that on their table. I could be wrong though.
Tony Romo and Tom Brady FOR SURE, do that. I doubt that the Steelers, Eagles, Seahawks, Carolina, Green Bay (last year), Saints and Chargers deny their quarterback the option of changing into a possibly more productive play.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Tony Romo and Tom Brady FOR SURE, do that. I doubt that the Steelers, Eagles, Seahawks, Carolina, Green Bay (last year), Saints and Chargers deny their quarterback the option of changing into a possibly more productive play.
As great as Brady is, and I think he has been the best in the league for the last 5 years now, I've never heard of him having that amount of control on the offense. Same for Romo. Of course every Qb can check down to certain things (for example if they see a corner playing way off, they can just throw the ball and let the WR get an easy 6-7 yards), but I don't know of any with the responsibilities that both Mannings have.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

The Mannings must have some freak gene that allows them to control an offense to perfection, well, that or maybe their idiotic and exaggerated body language just makes us think they do more than they actually do.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 10-08-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see he has the Giants undefeated(after everyone thought they were a fluke), he's continuing his own great play from last year(which everyone thought was a fluke), and he doesn't have an eight-game interception streak.

Really, I think everyone is just hating on the Giants. He might not be THE best QB, but he is way, way up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
As great as Brady is, and I think he has been the best in the league for the last 5 years now, I've never heard of him having that amount of control on the offense. Same for Romo. Of course every Qb can check down to certain things (for example if they see a corner playing way off, they can just throw the ball and let the WR get an easy 6-7 yards), but I don't know of any with the responsibilities that both Mannings have.
Wow, seriously? You've never heard of Tom Brady having that type of control? Charlie Weis went on Colin Cowherd last season talking how when he was still OC, they'd give Brady two passing plays and two running plays. Jason Garrett came out and said last week after the Washington game that the reason MB didn't get as many touches as he should have was because Romo checked down to other plays after seeing what the defense was doing, and that all of them were the proper reads. It's not as uncommon as you think.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Wow, seriously? You've never heard of Tom Brady having that type of control? Charlie Weis went on Colin Cowherd last season talking how when he was still OC, they'd give Brady two passing plays and two running plays. Jason Garrett came out and said last week after the Washington game that the reason MB didn't get as many touches as he should have was because Romo checked down to other plays after seeing what the defense was doing, and that all of them were the proper reads. It's not as uncommon as you think.
Didn't the Cowboys lose that game? I don't trust that comment. They were clearly forcing the ball to TO to keep him happy after only having 2 catches the week before despite winnning.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Let's see he has the Giants undefeated(after everyone thought they were a fluke), he's continuing his own great play from last year(which everyone thought was a fluke), and he doesn't have an eight-game interception streak.

Really, I think everyone is just hating on the Giants. He might not be THE best QB, but he is way, way up there.
And by great play you mean average against good teams and picking apart the bad ones. He easily should have had three, maybe four picks against the Redskins, a team that was playing horribly (where they barely slipped by thanks to a coach not instituting a two minute offense during training camp). The Bungles took them to OT, and he has had two very good games against the Seahawks (lol) and the Rams (bigger lol).
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Didn't the Cowboys lose that game? I don't trust that comment. They were clearly forcing the ball to TO to keep him happy after only having 2 catches the week before despite winnning.
The Cowboys losing that game has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you overrate and overvalue Eli Manning changing plays at the LOS.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli sux so bad, lyke s0 over-rated. He plays lyke **** against good defenses like the cowboyz and patri0tz lolz. lyke, Tony Romo's contract after dropping snaps and losing in the playoffs iz so much m0re deserved guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post

Eli has played great but he has not played great for whole season yet. So i kinda have a problem with giving a guy who hasn't played at an elite level for at least one season. I think that it would be smart for the Giants to wait at least one season. If i were a Giants fan i would prefer two, 100 million dollars is a lot of money and at this time last year if the Giants were going to sign Eli to a 100 million dollar contract... 95% of us on this fourm would say that the Giants are out of their minds to give Eli that kind of money.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

erm...just a tad too early for some outlandish type of deal like that. How about he actually plays a good team this season before throwing money at him? Yes, he played well in the playoffs and has started off great this year...but, um that is w/ one of the easiest schedules in the league. There is no guarantee that Eli has even "arrived" yet. They've played a bunch of cupcakes and a Redskins team that was a completely different team than they are now. Still doesnt change the fact that Eli has one of the lowest completion percentages, qb ratings, and one of the highest int rates of any QB over his starting tenure. I'll admit, he's looking much better but, I wouldnt give him anywhere near $100 million especially, this early in the season. That could just be asking for trouble. Funny how quickly people forget how bad Eli usually is. Now again, he could be making the turn but, with the current strength of schedule, there isnt really a way to tell for sure. Want some good advice? Wait on it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would pay $300 million for a quarterback of Eli Manning's level right now.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli is establishing himself as a clutch quarterback and a good leader. His statistics this year are very strong, even if he has played cupcake teams. He's a Super Bowl winner at quarterback largely because of his play and he should get compensated for that. However, compensation should be more along the lines of 6-$60, not 10-$100.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Jug it's worthless. Let them go...Eli will make them look silly, again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Eli is establishing himself as a clutch quarterback and a good leader. His statistics this year are very strong, even if he has played cupcake teams. He's a Super Bowl winner at quarterback largely because of his play and he should get compensated for that. However, compensation should be more along the lines of 6-$60, not 10-$100.
either way that's 10 mil a year. why not lock up your young, super bowl MVP QB for 10 years? Get it down and out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Peyton will be thirty three this year. Lets say for arguments sake both QBs can play till the age of 37. Peyton is almost done. Whereas Eli has another ten years under centre.

That's another six years he'll be able to play when Peyton is out of the League.

From the perspective of a franchise looking toward the future, Eli is worth just as much, if not more than peyton. Especially since this year he's playing better football.
thanks for making sense.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Jug it's worthless. Let them go...Eli will make them look silly, again.
Let them go = ignore the fact that Eli has done nothing commendable this season. He's just getting paid for the Tyree prayer and the throw to Plastico. Don't deny it.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Let them go = ignore the fact that Eli has done nothing commendable this season. He's just getting paid for the Tyree prayer and the throw to Plastico. Don't deny it.
Did you enjoy watching the game? I know I did.

I find it funny that the biggest Eli haters out there are always Cowboys fans. Even though Eli Manning has made a career out of handing that Cowboy's defense its ass twice a year.

Cowboy fans, more than any other team in the league, should know how good Eli is. But I forgot, he can't possibly be better than Tony Romo, a qb who has pulled off 2 of the biggest chokejobs in recent playoff memory the past 2 years.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Are you honestly going to even attempt to give off the notion you are not a hater that lacks rationale after saying that?

Do some research and check out some of the contracts that have been given out the past 2-3 offseasons to linebackers, guards, cornerbacks....

And then come back and tell me a legit franchise QB that plays his best in the biggest games and has knack for stepping up in the clutch who also has a Super Bowl ring on his finger along with 3 playoff apperances in his 3 seasons as a starter does not deserve this contract.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you blaming him for not playing back to back to back games against Carolina, Tennessee, Dallas, and Pittsburgh? It's not his damned fault he's had an easy schedule, and he's performed every bit as well as you can ask for. He's been great for the Giants. I don't think he's going to flame out, because if you look at last year, he came on strong at the end. Most flukes don't do that. Let's look at other flukes:

Derek Anderson, started hot, flamed out.
Garrard, looked like one of the most efficient QBs to come around in a long time, flamed out and is now a solid game manager.

Both of these guys got worse later in the year. Eli turned it on later in the year. Again, you can't blame him for what he is unable to do. Just get over your Giants hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

The one thing I cannot stand about some of these kids here is this:

Contracts have much more to do with economics than your opinion of them as a football player. These contract figures much more often than not are not picked out of thin air. There are teams in the NFL that pay people full time salaries to evaluate the finances in the market when it comes to stats, wins....etc. The Giants hold their company checkbook tight to the chest, they are not an overspending organization like some.

Economics people, think about it.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
The one thing I cannot stand about some of these kids here is this:

Contracts have much more to do with economics than your opinion of them as a football player. These contract figures much more often than not are not picked out of thin air. There are teams in the NFL that pay people full time salaries to evaluate the finances in the market when it comes to stats, wins....etc. The Giants hold their company checkbook tight to the chest, they are not an overspending organization like some.

Economics people, think about it.
We just saw Calvin Pace get what? 60 mill?

If Calvin Pace is worth that much, how much is Eli worth in the current market? 100 mill sounds about right.

its common sense. it shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.