Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That's rich. Marvin doesn't ***** about calls nearly as much as most WRs do. How often do you see most WRs make the "flag throw" motion after a play? I've rarely seen Marvin express frustration about officiating. Just because you don't like his style of play (which, by the way, is and has been overexaggerated) doesn't mean teams should be able to mug him, and they have at times (especially in games that Walt Coleman calls) with no repercussions.
well to be fair, it's hard to complain for a flag after a tackle when you run out of bounds instead of getting tackled 99% of the time ;)

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:15 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think everyone sounds like a bunch of whiners here.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
yea, its not like only 1 team doesnt get called. Its the same for every team and in the end it kinda balances out

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree. Refs aren't perfect, so don't expect them to make every single call.

Also, if I was a coach I would fine any of my players for criticizing the refs. It sets a dangerous precedent to the team to use the refs as scapegoats for poor performances.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well it's just the fact that every year there is X amount of blown calls, some huge some minuscule, and yet somehow the league continues to function successfully...this year is no different than any other year with the exception of which team feels they got shafted

for all I know, next year I will hate the refs and the NFL for blowing a game vs. the Lions for the Bears, but San Diego fans will think I'm dumb because their team hasn't been majorly effected by a reffing mistake even though they felt the same the past year

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

iowa. when will there ever be a meaningful game between the lions and bears?

bad example.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
iowa. when will there ever be a meaningful game between the lions and bears?

bad example.
exactly, because if we lost to the f'ing Lions based on one missed call, I would be severely depressed...but again, I would also blame the Bears for being so terrible they couldn't win before blaming the refs

I just didn't want to sound to cliche in saying Bears-Packers

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
yea, its not like only 1 team doesnt get called. Its the same for every team and in the end it kinda balances out
There hasn't been one offensive holding penalty called against any of the Colts' opponents through four games this season.

Actually there was one flagged ... during Gary Brackett's interception return against Houston. Which the Colts obviously declined. So there was that, hey sound the alarms. End the investigation.

So excuse me and other Colts fans who ***** about this, especially as we've holding seen holding go uncalled. Including on some crucial third downs in that span.

And I'm sure the injustice will continue through this weekend, with Baltimore's offensive line in tow. Young player Jared Gaither should just go ahead and grab and hold and choke Dwight Freeney all day, like he's experienced thus far. Why not, the league is advocating such play.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if Hines Ward got fined for this hit, then it was well deserved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnA5zumg1A

He seriously just led with his helmet the entire way. I'm surprised it was only 5k.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
There hasn't been one offensive holding penalty called against any of the Colts' opponents through four games this season.

Actually there was one flagged ... during Gary Brackett's interception return against Houston. Which the Colts obviously declined. So there was that, hey sound the alarms. End the investigation.

So excuse me and other Colts fans who ***** about this, especially as we've holding seen holding go uncalled. Including on some crucial third downs in that span.

And I'm sure the injustice will continue through this weekend, with Baltimore's offensive line in tow. Young player Jared Gaither should just go ahead and grab and hold and choke Dwight Freeney all day, like he's experienced thus far. Why not, the league is advocating such play.
Its not like the refs intentionally **** with the colts...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post

He seriously just led with his helmet the entire way. I'm surprised it was only 5k.
yea, if anyone complains about what happens to Ward for that hit they are dumb

I don't care if he wasn't flagged, just because refs missed a call doesn't mean it's ok to do something...that was a blatant shot at another player with no intention of playing legally, and as the announcer said, Ward had been doing it all game, maybe not illegally but still intentionally

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
yea, if anyone complains about what happens to Ward for that hit they are dumb

I don't care if he wasn't flagged, just because refs missed a call doesn't mean it's ok to do something...that was a blatant shot at another player with no intention of playing legally, and as the announcer said, Ward had been doing it all game, maybe not illegally but still intentionally
The more I watch that the more I feel that that hit almost warrants a suspension. He led with his helmet all the way on that play and could have seriously injured Ed Reed.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

There's the problem with that.

1) that was last years Baltimore game.
2) he didn't get flagged, Fined or anything.
3) The hit he was fined for happened THIS season in the baltimore game 2 weeks ago.

4) The issue is 2 sided.
A) How can you be fined for a hit the refs didn't even determine to be worth a flag
B) How can you not tell him exactly which play he's being flagged for?

5) If leading with your helmet is supposedly a fine, I'm waiting for 2 fines to go out. 1 on Shaun Rogers, 2 to members of the 2006 Atlanta Falcons.

But then again, if it consists of stuff that happened to my team, I'm not allowed to speak of it, is that what has been said?

If thats not leading with the helmet or Helmet to helmet (No it didn't even get a flag for helmet to helmet contact) why should Ward be fined?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
The more I watch that the more I feel that that hit almost warrants a suspension. He led with his helmet all the way on that play and could have seriously injured Ed Reed.
I would actually agree with a suspension, they were away from the play, Ward intentionally breaks from his man to go at Reed, and then hits him illegally and dangerously when, if you are Ed Reed, you have to rationally assume he is just going to block you

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

just because the refs didn't flag him for it doesn't mean it's ok

what if the refs missed the call? Does that mean if I punch a player, but since the refs don't see it then I can get away scot free?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
There's the problem with that.

1) that was last years Baltimore game.
2) he didn't get flagged, Fined or anything.
3) The hit he was fined for happened THIS season in the baltimore game 2 weeks ago.

4) The issue is 2 sided.
A) How can you be fined for a hit the refs didn't even determine to be worth a flag
B) How can you not tell him exactly which play he's being flagged for?

5) If leading with your helmet is supposedly a fine, I'm waiting for 2 fines to go out. 1 on Shaun Rogers, 2 to members of the 2006 Atlanta Falcons.

But then again, if it consists of stuff that happened to my team, I'm not allowed to speak of it, is that what has been said?

If thats not leading with the helmet or Helmet to helmet (No it didn't even get a flag for helmet to helmet contact) why should Ward be fined?
First, my bad on getting the wrong game. I would like to see the play where Hines Ward was fined because it would really help this situation. Secondly, He wasn't leading with his helmet because he already has a hand around Big Ben. Leading with your helmet isn't that tough of a term to comprehend and neither falcon was leading with their helmets.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
how is this a question? i dont get it. I mean, if something the one ref thought is okay, is later determined by Peirrera that it was a foul, why shouldnt he fine him? I mean refs mess up. Yes they do. They are HUMANS.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
First, my bad on getting the wrong game. I would like to see the play where Hines Ward was fined because it would really help this situation. Secondly, He wasn't leading with his helmet because he already has a hand around Big Ben. Leading with your helmet isn't that tough of a term to comprehend and neither falcon was leading with their helmets.
Wish I had the video.

The player with his arm around him Initially led with his helmet, knocking Roeth's helmet backwards into another player with his helmet there.

If thats not even a 15 yard penalty then there is no roughing the passer.

If Ward got fined on hitting Ed Reed this year, then Reed should be fined for retaliating.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i personally haven't noticed it to be called any less than years past.
Really?

Quote:
Through five weeks, offensive holding has been called 157 times, which projects to 543 penalties over the full season. That would be a two-decade low, by far. Three years ago, officials called 880 offensive holding penalties, the most in 20 years.
That's from that article the Star had on the issue. The league is on pace for a two-decade low when there was a two-decade high three years ago. That's not something that's unnoticeable.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:35 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holding is apart of the game, always will be. It's what OL are taught to do. If you are respected as an elite pass rusher, you are going to be held a lot. Especially if you are extremely quick of the ball and the OT forces himself to try and get you by grabbing on and not moving. It's going to be this way. Holds will be called

a. When both the OL and DL end up on the ground
b. When the DL is basically tackled
c. When the player is about to make some sort of play against the man with the ball
d. When the ref feels it's justified enough.

That's about it. Refs could call holding every play if they wanted to, but they use their judgement. Holding's always been a huge part of the game. Shouldn't be news to anyone.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That's rich. Marvin doesn't ***** about calls nearly as much as most WRs do. How often do you see most WRs make the "flag throw" motion after a play? I've rarely seen Marvin express frustration about officiating. Just because you don't like his style of play (which, by the way, is and has been overexaggerated) doesn't mean teams should be able to mug him, and they have at times (especially in games that Walt Coleman calls) with no repercussions.
Teams should be allowed to touch him without him bitching for a flag.

Look, Marvin, a linebacker! Better run out of bounds or fall down!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
That isn't. Can't you see the difference?

It's clear as freakin day!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Teams should be allowed to touch him without him bitching for a flag.

Look, Marvin, a linebacker! Better run out of bounds or fall down!
Wait, I don't get it. What is Harrison supposed to do to a linebacker once he has the ball?

I passionately dislike the guy, but I don't get what the problem is with him going out of bounds or going down when there's no more YAC. I don't want him fumbling the ball anymore. He's 180 pounds soaking wet, he's not going to go through guys.

Really, that's one of the stupidest criticisms I hear. He's not Boldin or TO for crying out loud. His game was speed, hands, and routes, and now it's just hands and occassionally routes.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Wait, I don't get it. What is Harrison supposed to do to a linebacker once he has the ball?

I passionately dislike the guy, but I don't get what the problem is with him going out of bounds or going down when there's no more YAC. I don't want him fumbling the ball anymore. He's 180 pounds soaking wet, he's not going to go through guys.

Really, that's one of the stupidest criticisms I hear. He's not Boldin or TO for crying out loud. His game was speed, hands, and routes, and now it's just hands and occassionally routes.
That doesn't mean you run out of bounds when someone gets within 50 feet of you. Put a ******* shoulder down and stop being a vagina. It's not a question of being T.O or Boldin. It's a question of him shying away from contact and crying every time he gets breathed on.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
That doesn't mean you run out of bounds when someone gets within 50 feet of you. Put a ******* shoulder down and stop being a vagina. It's not a question of being T.O or Boldin. It's a question of him shying away from contact and crying every time he gets breathed on.
yes cause it would help so much...