Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
why is it so good if someone takes a hit? i just dont get it. i thought its about not getting hit...
It's a question of taking a hit to make a play. Marvin Harrison wouldn't take a hit to win the Super Bowl.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
It's a question of taking a hit to make a play. Marvin Harrison wouldn't take a hit to win the Super Bowl.
cause he knows he wouldnt win...

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why is it so good if someone takes a hit? i just dont get it. i thought its about not getting hit...
it's not so much looking to take hits, it's the fact he doesn't try to do anything after the catch. He doesn't try for extra yards or to make anything happen, he thinks once he catches the ball he doesn't have to do anything because he's too old and shouldn't get hit. Have there been any great WRs that have done that? I'd like to think there are WRs that have accomplished a lot that still take hits, it's not like him not taking hits has made him so much better than anyone

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Valid point. I suck at math.

So basically it's okay for him to be a ***** every time he sees contact? Ah, okay.
Why wouldn't it be? If asking for him to fight for more yards results in either A) more injuries or B) more fumbles. I'll ask him to stay healthy and hold onto the ball TYVM.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so basically he doesn't have to go for more yards because it may get him hurt or fumble, when 95% of all WRs do that and don't get hurt or fumble hardly any more than he does?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
it's not so much looking to take hits, it's the fact he doesn't try to do anything after the catch. He doesn't try for extra yards or to make anything happen, he thinks once he catches the ball he doesn't have to do anything because he's too old and shouldn't get hit. Have there been any great WRs that have done that? I'd like to think there are WRs that have accomplished a lot that still take hits, it's not like him not taking hits has made him so much better than anyone
He tries hard. He tries to evade defenders, he tries to out juke them. He does not try to take them man on man with sheer power

Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
so basically he doesn't have to go for more yards because it may get him hurt or fumble, when 95% of all WRs do that and don't get hurt or fumble hardly any more than he does?
Just more excuses.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

so u would want Desean jackson to catch the ball and try to run through Ray Lewis with full force?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
so u would want Desean jackson to catch the ball and try to run through Ray Lewis with full force?
If it meant getting a first down, all day err' day.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
He tries hard. He tries to evade defenders, he tries to out juke them. He does not try to take them man on man with sheer power
so he does everything that an average WR does...if you consider him running laterally toward sidelines trying more than average WRs, great.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who the **** cares when you A) can do what he has done, and B) continues to be productive and move the chains EVEN THOUGH he doesn't fight for yards.

If he wasn't fighting for yards when it counted (like for first downs, or field goal range), please point out moments where that happened. If not, the point of gaining extra yardage over a first down is moot when you have such a consistent offense that routinely leads the league in third down conversions...

When you can prove to me that gaining a guaranteed 20 yards on one play is better than gaining 20 guaranteed yards on 6 plays. Let me know

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

honestly, no one has said he should try and "run through defenders" or "run full force into defenders" but he doesn't even come close to contact, he doesn't try and break tackles, or juke inside to avoid defenders...he runs away from defenders toward sidelines

it's not like anyone is saying run full steam ahead straight on at defenders and don't flinch, but try to do anything other than prance out of bounds

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Who the **** cares when you A) can do what he has done, and B) continues to be productive and move the chains EVEN THOUGH he doesn't fight for yards.

If he wasn't fighting for yards when it counted (like for first downs, or field goal range), please point out moments where that happened. If not, the point of gaining extra yardage over a first down is moot when you have such a consistent offense that routinely leads the league in third down conversions...

When you can prove to me that gaining a guaranteed 20 yards on one play is better than gaining 20 guaranteed yards on 6 plays. Let me know
so rather than try and get more yards to help your team, you should avoid being tackled because you're afraid of losing the ball or getting hurt? I understand the point about his offense, but are you telling me you think Harrison if he were on like the Bears, would try and do more after the catch because he knows our offense sucks and can't consistently move the ball?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
so rather than try and get more yards to help your team, you should avoid being tackled because you're afraid of losing the ball or getting hurt? I understand the point about his offense, but are you telling me you think Harrison if he were on like the Bears, would try and do more after the catch because he knows our offense sucks and can't consistently move the ball?
But that's not the case with the colts.

He does exactly what he's asked to do. Sure you'd like him to do more. But can you knock the man for doing exactly what he's been told to do for 10 years by peyton frickan manning?

Harrison has a great knack for knowing WHERE the first down marker is. He has great field presence and makes catches. This year is a little different, but, for christ sake, the man has lead the league in first downs except for last year for 4-5 years.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
If it meant getting a first down, all day err' day.
show me one play where he has not try to get the first down that he would have gotten by totally getting hit and chose to get out of bounds.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
show me one play where he has not try to get the first down that he would have gotten by totally getting hit and chose to get out of bounds.
Watch a Colts game.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
But that's not the case with the colts.

He does exactly what he's asked to do. Sure you'd like him to do more. But can you knock the man for doing exactly what he's been told to do for 10 years by peyton frickan manning?

Harrison has a great knack for knowing WHERE the first down marker is. He has great field presence and makes catches. This year is a little different, but, for christ sake, the man has lead the league in first downs except for last year for 4-5 years.
but see, the Colts offense hasn't always been the way it is...they were terrible 10 years ago, you can't honestly tell me that he was told to catch and do nothing else when their offense was a joke. I don't doubt everything he does or knows, because he is a great WR, but that one aspect of his game is extremely annoying and IMO is just a cop out for not doing more. I guess I would just like to have a WR that does more than run 12 yards, catch, and stop playing. What other great WRs have ever done that in their career?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Watch a Colts game.
i do. he usually gets the first down. thats why he was leading so many years in getting first downs

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
i do. he usually gets the first down. thats why he was leading so many years in getting first downs
And there's also a reason why his YAC sucks.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
but see, the Colts offense hasn't always been the way it is...they were terrible 10 years ago, you can't honestly tell me that he was told to catch and do nothing else when their offense was a joke. I don't doubt everything he does or knows, because he is a great WR, but that one aspect of his game is extremely annoying and IMO is just a cop out for not doing more. I guess I would just like to have a WR that does more than run 12 yards, catch, and stop playing. What other great WRs have ever done that in their career?
Wes Welker, who is smaller than Harrison, consistently goes over the middle. There's no reason why Harrison can't do it.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
And there's also a reason why his YAC sucks.
yes because he gets the first down and then tries to outjuke or outrun people. Why isnt he trying to break a tackle? Maybe because he cant?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Wes Welker, who is smaller than Harrison, consistently goes over the middle. There's no reason why Harrison can't do it.
Harrison is old, and smart, and doesn't want to fumble, because he knows that if he gets hit there is a chance, even a tiny chance, that he might fumble, and rather have confidence and know he can hold onto the ball like every other player that gets hit, running out of bounds is smart.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Harrison is old, and smart, and doesn't want to fumble, because he knows that if he gets hit there is a chance, even a tiny chance, that he might fumble, and rather have confidence and know he can hold onto the ball like every other player that gets hit, running out of bounds is smart.
Correct. Because every time you get hit who weighs more than you, you fumble. Fact of life.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Correct. Because every time you get hit who weighs more than you, you fumble. Fact of life.
60% of the time it happens all the time.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Well on one side, Harrison has the chance to not succeed in overpowering that guy, and on the other side he has the chance to fumble or get injured. Its a lose lose situation