Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post

3) Criticism of the Refs. If you criticize the refs, it's a fine, but refs rarely get what they deserve. Docked pay, suspension etc.

Consistency of Calls. It seems if you hit certain QB's in the motion of throwing the ball it's a PF, others, you can mug, and it's not.

(For the ward deal: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08283/918588-66.stm )
I'm not too happy about these two.

If you are a ref, you should be open to just as much criticism of your performance as the players. Now, I'm sure that a great deal goes on in the leauge office behind closed doors regarding ref performance, but to tell coaches and players that public criticism of the refs is off-limits is a crock.
As a coach, if you blow a call because you were out of position or because you let something other then the rules sway your decision, I'm gonna let you have it.

I also have a problem with allowing holding and other crap (as long as that player didn't have a chance to make a tackle) and yet you fart next to the QB and you get a 15 yard penalty.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I'm not too happy about these two.

If you are a ref, you should be open to just as much criticism of your performance as the players. Now, I'm sure that a great deal goes on in the leauge office behind closed doors regarding ref performance, but to tell coaches and players that public criticism of the refs is off-limits is a crock.
As a coach, if you blow a call because you were out of position or because you let something other then the rules sway your decision, I'm gonna let you have it.

I also have a problem with allowing holding and other crap (as long as that player didn't have a chance to make a tackle) and yet you fart next to the QB and you get a 15 yard penalty.
Here's something interesting about fines...

CLARK FINED $7,500 FOR HELMET-TO-HELMET HIT
Posted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2008, 6:28 p.m.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark told ESPN Radio 1250 in Pittsburgh on Thursday that he has been fined $7,500 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Jags receiver Matt Jones during Sunday night’s victory at Jacksonville.

Clark made the disclosure during the Paulsen, Logan & Crow show.

We’ve recently heard that the fines that are publicly reported represent only about 10 percent of the total fines levied by the league.

PFT.. Wasn't Helmet to Helmet.. but the bolded part is interesting.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
What were the circumstances behind Allens DUI?
DUI is a way for tickets and arrests to be made even if someone isnt legally drunk. You can take allergy medicine and get a DUI because it's Driving Under the Influence. My roommate was arrested for a DUI when he hadn't even consumed any alcohol or drugs (he did contest it and got off, also the PD had to pay his court fees... long story). So, I think it's necessary to take DUI's case by case. With a DUI, they don't have to give you a field sobriety test, he did have to take a breathalyzer at the station but obviously he was 0.0%.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Here's something interesting about fines...

CLARK FINED $7,500 FOR HELMET-TO-HELMET HIT
Posted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2008, 6:28 p.m.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark told ESPN Radio 1250 in Pittsburgh on Thursday that he has been fined $7,500 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Jags receiver Matt Jones during Sunday night’s victory at Jacksonville.

Clark made the disclosure during the Paulsen, Logan & Crow show.

We’ve recently heard that the fines that are publicly reported represent only about 10 percent of the total fines levied by the league.

PFT.. Wasn't Helmet to Helmet.. but the bolded part is interesting.
I believe that, you get fined by the leauge if you walk out on to field with your jersey not tucked in or your socks up (no joke).

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe that, you get fined by the leauge if you walk out on to field with your jersey not tucked in or your socks up (no joke).
yeah, remember Portis got fined for that. What about durning the game when your shirt comes out, or ur socks goes down
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This misses the point. As fans we are allowed to complain about coaches, players and refs. The media has this same priviledge.

Coaches and players, on the other hand, are not allowed to do so PUBLICLY. The league has a method in place that allows complaints about officiating or anything else league related (see: Davis, Al - accusing the Patriots of tampering.) The league does not like players, coaches or refs complaining to the media.

Also missing the point - when was the last time you EVER heard a ref go to the media and complain about a coach or player?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
DUI is a way for tickets and arrests to be made even if someone isnt legally drunk. You can take allergy medicine and get a DUI because it's Driving Under the Influence. My roommate was arrested for a DUI when he hadn't even consumed any alcohol or drugs (he did contest it and got off, also the PD had to pay his court fees... long story). So, I think it's necessary to take DUI's case by case. With a DUI, they don't have to give you a field sobriety test, he did have to take a breathalyzer at the station but obviously he was 0.0%.
I agree, I had some pills for back pain. It didn't say anything on the bottle like "Dont drive, or dont operate heavy machinery" and I went to pick up some friends from the airport.

We got pulled over because of some bs. Basically, I live right at the main "Bar Scene" in San Diego and there are always people just walking across the middle of the road from bar to bar and I almost hit one of them. Either way, the cops pulled me over and gave me a complete field sobriety test and was on the verge of giving me a DUI because my pupils were reacting funny to the flash light test but luckily they finally decided I was ok.

Point is I could have DUI right now for doing almost nothing wrong.

The circumstances behind it are very important to consider.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I agree, I had some pills for back pain. It didn't say anything on the bottle like "Dont drive, or dont operate heavy machinery" and I went to pick up some friends from the airport.

We got pulled over because of some bs. Basically, I live right at the main "Bar Scene" in San Diego and there are always people just walking across the middle of the road from bar to bar and I almost hit one of them. Either way, the cops pulled me over and gave me a complete field sobriety test and was on the verge of giving me a DUI because my pupils were reacting funny to the flash light test but luckily they finally decided I was ok.

Point is I could have DUI right now for doing almost nothing wrong.

The circumstances behind it are very important to consider.
I hate field sobriety tests, i think that they're not very accurate. You can fail some of those when your stone sober. Breathalyzer tests and blood tests are the way to go. It happens all the time here in Idaho, someone will fail a couple field tests and then when they blow their under the limit.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How the hell was Adrian Wilson's hit on Trent Edwards dirty enough that he got a 25,000 dollar fine? It looked completely legitimate to me.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
How the hell was Adrian Wilson's hit on Trent Edwards dirty enough that he got a 25,000 dollar fine? It looked completely legitimate to me.
Ryan Clarks hit on Matt Jones was determined to be "Helmet to Helmet" and he got a 7.5K Fine.

Clark led with his shoulder.

They still haven't fined Shaun Rogers for Cheapshotting Roethlisberger.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hit on the QB will always cost you extra compared to other players. Which is again ********.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about Wilson's hit on Edwards. He got fined 20K for something stupid.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
How about Wilson's hit on Edwards. He got fined 20K for something stupid.
Seriously? It was two posts up.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Pacman Jones should be out of the league.

and yes the league is a joke in regards to their reluctance to use correct (permanent) punishment.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Pacman Jones should be out of the league.

and yes the league is a joke in regards to their reluctance to use correct (permanent) punishment.
If this fight doesn't push him over the egde, he'll no doubt mess up again and then he'll get kicked out of the league.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

This is exactly why I came to this club. ALL OVER ME! Thanks Javon! I hope no one beats your ass on the way out.

Next career choice?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The league's future is not looking too bright as well. So many college players are getting in trouble. UGA suspended like 8 players this year on seperate violations. Heck, 3 days ago they dismissed two guys from the team.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
The league's future is not looking too bright as well. So many college players are getting in trouble. UGA suspended like 8 players this year on seperate violations. Heck, 3 days ago they dismissed two guys from the team.
Well, if I had grown men coming to my house begging and pleading for me to come to their team, my mentality on life would be slightly dysfunctional. That and having the entire town doing whatever I want wouldn't help.

No one wins from this process.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, if I had grown men coming to my house begging and pleading for me to come to their team, my mentality on life would be slightly dysfunctional. That and having the entire town doing whatever I want wouldn't help.

No one wins from this process.
Only the special ones get in trouble. There are student-athletes who do great in school and are smart enough to know what is right and what is wrong.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Only the special ones get in trouble. There are student-athletes who do great in school and are smart enough to know what is right and what is wrong.
Of course there are success stories but usually those athletes are actually qualified to get into the school....these misfits' academic level of success, or lack thereof, is overlooked because they are physical freaks.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 10-10-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Of course there are success stories but usually athletes are actually qualified to get into the school....these misfits' academic level of success, or lack thereof, is overlooked because they are physical freaks.
Sadly it think that this happens way to much. Also add in the fact that they have no one standing over them tell them what to do or not to do.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
I hate field sobriety tests, i think that they're not very accurate. You can fail some of those when your stone sober. Breathalyzer tests and blood tests are the way to go. It happens all the time here in Idaho, someone will fail a couple field tests and then when they blow their under the limit.
Well that is the thing with field sobriety testing, if you dont meet the officer's "standards" or whatever, he can say you failed. If you are sober and etc, just keep saying "breathalyze me" over and over and it will be on the tape and then challenge the arrest.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem I have with players getting busted for committing crimes which realistically the NFL has no jurisdiction over ie DUI's. I think the NFL is well within its rites to penalize players who bring the game into disrepute this way, but I just don't think there is a way to compare a criminal act with something that occurs during or effecting a performance.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

i know this kind of off-topic but why are players getting fined for everything like celebrating. The two eagles players get fined for a celebration that wasnt even flagged in the game or ronnie brown and vernon carey td celebration. I dont know whats wrong with having a little fun while playing the game. I think they should revise the rule somewhat.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1chiefs_fan View Post
i know this kind of off-topic but why are players getting fined for everything like celebrating. The two eagles players get fined for a celebration that wasnt even flagged in the game or ronnie brown and vernon carey td celebration. I dont know whats wrong with having a little fun while playing the game. I think they should revise the rule somewhat.
What's the joke? No Fun League?