Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2009 Draft thread

To create a thread about the Seahawks needs in this upcoming draft. Enough time has passed that I think we are able to get a clear picture of what is wrong with this team. This is also a way for me to alleviate my depression over the offenses inability to score and the defenses inability to stop people in crucial situations.

I'm going to list the positions that I think we need the help at most and then the player that I believe is the best fit for the Seahawks.

So, lets start off with the position I think we need the most help at, and it might be a shocker.

1) Cornerback - Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
I don't believe that Kelly Jennings or Josh Wilson are the answers at cornerback. They are simply not good enough IMO to cover other teams wide receivers every play. For one, they are short. Two, they give up way too many big plays. Wilson is better suited for playing the nickelback and Jennings is probably at best a situational guy. Neither is a ballhawk, which is something this defense has been lacking for a while now.

That said, if we can't get an elite talent like Malcolm Jenkins, this is probably not a wise pick even if it is the place where an upgrade is the most needed.

2) Wide Receiver - Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
Watching this last game against Green Bay made me realize something...none of our wide receivers are gamebreakers. Of course, I already knew that outside of Nate Burleson no one else is a threat to score on every play, but still. It's not that they aren't good WR's, it just that they cannot get any seperation and they just aren't threats to score.

A guy like Maclin is a gamebreaker and it is hard to imagine another WR in the country who is more explosive. He is something this offense has been lacking since Shaun Alexander in 05. We get a guy like Maclin it takes this offense to a whole other level.

3) Offensive Line - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia or Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
Monroe is my favorite OT and if we get him as the future successor to Walter Jones it would go a long ways in my book of securing this team's success in the future. We never know when Jones is gonna retire or get injured and not be able to come back from it so getting Monroe as a contingency plan seems like a smart move in my book.

Duke Robinson is the other guy I list because I don't know how long Wahle is going to be around and he is certainly not Stever Hutchison. Duke Robinson is super talented and if we got him it would be a great move, even if he doesn't play as a rookie. I am actually more concerned about Wahle than Jones because I don't think Wahle will last as long.

4) Defensive End - Brain Orakpo, Texas
Why defensive end? Didn't we just draft Lawrence Jackson? Yes we did, but I put defensive end here because our defense is getting no pressure on teams not named San Francisco. Kerney is the only guy I even expect to get pressure on the quarterback anymore and he is not going to get there every play no matter how much I yell at my TV set to pressure the quarterback. Lawrence Jackson seems to be good against the run, but I haven't seen him sack the quarterback this year and I honestly don't expect him to be able to get there.

I put Orakpo there because he is insanely good at getting to the quarterback. He also seems to apply pressure at critical moments which is something our defense has been unable to do. He also leaps out at you when you watch him play. He makes play after play. Jackson may be a better all around end than Orakpo, but this guy is a master at what he does and that is get to the quarterback. Also, he could line up at linebacker and you could move him around much like the Giants do with Justin Tuck. It would likely give opposing offenses fits because they'd have to gameplan for someone like Orakpo.

5) Running Back - Knowshon Moreno, Georgia or Javon Ringer, Michigan State
Knowshon Moreno is my favorite runner and should he come out I can honestly see him going in front of Beanie Wells. He has all the tools you look for and he runs hard. It may be unfair to Julius Jones, but Moreno is a gamebreaking back, unfortunately Jones is not in his league as far as potential goes.

Ringer is a really good back and he is proving this year that he can carry the ball 20+ times a game. He seems like the type of guy who can be a workhorse in the league. I really like his style of running. He is more of a personal favorite, and even if they do draft him I don't see him unseating Jones as the starter.

I put this here because Morris and Duckett are not very good back-ups in my opinion. Morris and Jones are essentially the same back with Morris being a slightly better receiver and Jones running much harder. The need of a guy to be totally different from Jones might lead to a pick like C.J. Spiller, who has speed to kill. I personally don't like Spiller but if we used him like Dallas uses Felix Jones I would be okay with it.

6) Outside Linebacker - Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
I put this one here mostly as a result of my fear that Leroy Hill is leaving after this season. It is way down here because he hasn't actually left yet, but if he does, this position in results of need would sky rocket to the top. A guy like Curry would hopefully be able to fill the void that would be left by a player like Leroy Hill.

Now that those are listed I think that I'll list the players in the order that I would place an emphasis on picking them at the moment based on Seattle's need and their own skill sets.

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Knowshon Moreno
5. Duke Robinson
6. Brian Orakpo
7. Aaron Curry
8. Javon Ringer

Honorable Mention:
William Moore, Taylor Mays, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Micheal Crabtree, Chris "Beanie" Wells, George Selvie

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6

Last edited by summond822 : 10-12-2008 at 08:30 PM.
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do we need a QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Do we need a QB?
Hasselbeck isnt getting younger and Wallace/Frye arent the answer there. I think you guys might want to consider it... or hold out for Jake Locker.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do we need a QB?

I think we do but doubt management would think that is the way to go in the first round. I wouldnt be adverse to taking a chance on a Rhett Bomar in round 3 or so.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Possibly WR depending on how the injurys go. I would probably say corner though as your biggest need.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I am hearing from "sources", Jenkins is on top of our BB.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how you guys would possibly go Maclin over Crabtree. Crabtree is the ideal West Coast Offense wide receiver. Terrific frame, hands, and run after the catch ability.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran

OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.

Quote:
From what I am hearing from "sources", Jenkins is on top of our BB.
Jenkins or Crabtree in the first round and I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .
OneToughGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely have a 2009 Draft thread to discuss and throw ideas around.

Hope you don't mind, I changed the title to make it official.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geo: Thanks for the change, why would we mind?

sbh15: When I made this thread and posted my preferences it was way back in October when it actually looked like Maclin might turn out to be a Top 10 pick. I still have serious questions about Crabtree's YAC ability (mainly his speed) but now he would definately be in front of Maclin as my preferred pick.

As for Jenkins at the top of our draft board, I would be ecstatic. I would also be happy with Crabtree. But honestly, I wouldn't be that upset if they were both off of the board and we ended up getting Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher. I would rather have a quiet, reliable LT who is going to play for 8+ years than take a WR/CB that is going to draw attention to themselves like crazy. (Not saying that Crabtree or Jenkins would but WR's and CB's are generally the drama queens of the NFL, while OT generally aren't)

Edit: Also, we can't forget that Leroy Hill is likely not going to resign with the Seahawks so an OLB would be a good idea if not in the 1st round then definately on day 1.

Last edited by summond822 : 12-12-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I was looking at a mock draft and CJSchneider (sorry if I got this wrong), was talking about the Saints trading down. It made me remember Ruskell's draft philosophy "trade down in the first, get extra picks, trade up in the second to get someone, etc."

Well this year...we may not be able to trade down. I am sure that Ruskell will try to, but I am not sure if there will be any suitors. I would like to see them trade down but hopefully stay in the Top 10 and get Eugene Monroe. Walter Jones went on the IR this week, and he has been getting nicked up for the last couple of years. He has also lost a step. Drafting Monroe gives us a safety net for next year, and then he can step in when Jones does retire, which I actually see happening in the next 2-3 years.

As much as I love Jenkins, I think that Monroe would be a better long-term pick. Crabtree I am a little leery of. Not so much because of his ability, but because I just don't like the idea of taking WR's (or RB's) in the first round...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I agree Summond. But who knows.

Quote:

Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran

OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.

Through the first 4 rounds here's who I'd want. Curious of who you guys would want.

1: Malcolm Jenkins
2: Patrick Chung
3: Marcus Freeman (if Hill leaves) Alex Boone (if hill stays.)
4: Jarrett Dillard (I think he'll be gone by then though :( )

Quote:
too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Last edited by OneToughGame : 01-05-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughGame View Post
Through the first 4 rounds here's who I'd want. Curious of who you guys would want.

1: Malcolm Jenkins
2: Patrick Chung
3: Marcus Freeman (if Hill leaves) Alex Boone (if hill stays.)
4: Jarrett Dillard (I think he'll be gone by then though :( )
Through the first 3 I'd go

1. Malcolm Jenkins/Taylor Mays
2. Percy Harvin/Derrick Williams/Clint Sintim (assuming that Hill leaves)
3. Marcus Freeman or a pass rushing DE.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
Through the first 3 I'd go

1. Malcolm Jenkins/Taylor Mays
2. Percy Harvin/Derrick Williams/Clint Sintim (assuming that Hill leaves)
3. Marcus Freeman or a pass rushing DE.
Don't know why you'd want Williams. His hands are terrible and the Seahawks already drop enough passess lol.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Don't know why you'd want Williams. His hands are terrible and the Seahawks already drop enough passess lol.
Big play ability. Only reason that I have him listed. If we don't get Harvin then I would much rather wait until later on in the draft and take a taller WR as another redzone target. That kid from Cal-Poly (Ramses Bardin?) or Aaron Kelly (Clemson) immediately come to mind.

Edit: The same thing could be said about Chung. I like Chung a lot, but I have questions about the scheme he is coming out of. Another thing is how good of a cover safety is he (and don't show me his interception stats, I am talking about normal covering skills)?

Last edited by summond822 : 01-07-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 AM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran

Quote:
Big play ability. Only reason that I have him listed. If we don't get Harvin then I would much rather wait until later on in the draft and take a taller WR as another redzone target. That kid from Cal-Poly (Ramses Bardin?) or Aaron Kelly (Clemson) immediately come to mind.

Edit: The same thing could be said about Chung. I like Chung a lot, but I have questions about the scheme he is coming out of. Another thing is how good of a cover safety is he (and don't show me his interception stats, I am talking about normal covering skills)?
I just really want Dillard here. I've loved this kid the past 2 seasons. He isn't going to run a 4.3 maybe not even a low 4.4 but he does have GREAT hands and he runs very good routes. Plus, he has a 40+ inch vertical leap.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I just really want Dillard here. I've loved this kid the past 2 seasons. He isn't going to run a 4.3 maybe not even a low 4.4 but he does have GREAT hands and he runs very good routes. Plus, he has a 40+ inch vertical leap.
I love his work ethic too.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I was just thinking...if (somehow) Knowshon Moreno fell to the Seahawks in round two...do we take him with the 36th pick?

I'm thinking yes. Wonder what you guys think.

Last edited by summond822 : 01-09-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran

Quote:
I was just thinking...if (somehow) Knowshon Moreno fell to the Seahawks in round two...do we take him with the 36th pick?

I'm thinking yes. Wonder what you guys think.
I hope not, I like Moreno but we already have enough money tied up into RB right now. I say give Jones a full season and see how he does.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

if moreno is there, I would most likely take him depending on the draft board. But I'd need to see a nice combine first.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You'd have to take Moreno in the 2nd round, have to. Even if a WR like Hakeem Nicks is there, you can't turn in the card with Moreno's name on it fast enough.

Although for Moreno to fall that far, I wouldn't count on it. But a pretty good RB could be there for the Seahawks in early Round 2 or Round 3.

Btw, as much as I think Crabtree could help the Hawks, I'm thinking more that the team goes elsewhere at the 4th overall pick (Jenkins, Bradford, LT) and then takes a WR in the 2nd (maybe 3rd) round. The aforementioed Nicks might be perfect.

Last edited by Geo : 01-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
You'd have to take Moreno in the 2nd round, have to. Even if a WR like Hakeem Nicks is there, you can't turn in the card with Moreno's name on it fast enough.

Although for Moreno to fall that far, I wouldn't count on it. But a pretty good RB could be there for the Seahawks in early Round 2 or Round 3.

Btw, as much as I think Crabtree could help the Hawks, I'm thinking more that the team goes elsewhere at the 4th overall pick (Jenkins, Bradford, LT) and then takes a WR in the 2nd (maybe 3rd) round. The aforementioed Nicks might be perfect.
Any running back not named Moreno, I see us passing on in the second OTG, but if Moreno is there...I think that he is way too good to pass up, and a potential franchise running back. We might take a Donald Brown in the third...

I agree with you 100% on what your saying about Crabtree Geo. I just can't see Ruskell taking a WR top 10, especially with his "draft safe" philosophy (at least on the offensive side). I would honestly rather see him take a defensive player like Jenkins or Mays than Bradford. Although a LT would definately be nice, but Ruskell probably thinks he can find good offensive linemen later on in the draft. It was in a newspaper article I read when he was commenting on where they could go with the pick.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I really do hope we go mays or Jenkins. Both those are a step in the right direction.

Quote:

Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
I really do hope we go mays or Jenkins. Both those are a step in the right direction.
I am starting to really, really like the Mays pick. I am almost to the point where I would say that we take him at 4.

Mays may never be a ball hawk, but we truly just need someone to stop the deep ball for us. Deon Grant and Brian Russel aren't doing that. I think that Mays could replace Russel immediately.