Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The loss of a cap won't be as bad as people expect, I'll dig out my last write up on the financial issues in the NFL and I'll post what I had about if there isn't a cap what we can expect.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the event that there is no cap, the owners will probably be like, "no cap, no games." As much as we'd probably all like to think that some of the owners will just throw money at players, they're not idiots. Why would they want to drop upwards of 200 million in salaries each year? These guys are buisness men, not owners solely concerned with winning regardless of costs.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
In the event that there is no cap, the owners will probably be like, "no cap, no games." As much as we'd probably all like to think that some of the owners will just throw money at players, they're not idiots. Why would they want to drop upwards of 200 million in salaries each year? These guys are buisness men, not owners solely concerned with winning regardless of costs.
Lockout for sure. I would ******* endorse it too.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
You can't compare a capless NFL to the MLB.
Yup. NFL caliber talent is found in the US only. About 1% of the players in the NFL aren't born in the US. for baseball you can find it anywhere in the world.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Lockout for sure. I would ******* endorse it too.
As would I, I find the current model to be awesome.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It won't happen(because the big thing going on.) It will kill small team markets then slowly take away from the NFL, by that i mean their profits.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would suck for my Tennessee Titans because we don't have the financial muscle of large market teams. I am happy to say that the majority of the core players we have though are currently under contract. Teams like Dallas and Washington and Oakland would go nuts on spending though, and for that one season, the NFL system, which makes the NFL the best league in the world, save NFL rookie contracts, would be in shambles. I really hope a collective bargaining agreement gets done beforehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the NFC East would be the best division in football, and there would be a few teams that simply couldn't compete. Sounds like this year!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The owners would, I assume, need a majority to pass a CBA with no cap. Sorry, but Jerruh only counts as one. It's in no one's interest except Mr. Jones, Mr. Snyder, and maybe the NY owners. Anyone who even has enough money to spend well over the cap, won't have the type of money available to the huge market guys. There will be no capless NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM    (permalink
BackwoodsBoy

What teams would dominate without a cap? Seattle, Dallas, Washington, Cleveland, New YorkG, New YorkJ, Chicago, New England.

I think the team hardest hit by a no cap would be Philadelphia. Having to play against huge spenders like Jones and Snyder as well as big market New YorkG...they'd never win a divisional crown.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as I see it, no cap means no CBA, which would mean no games anyway because without a CBA, a lockout is almost assured if not guaranteed. Then a new CBA will need to be made, and unless I'm mistaken, every owner needs to agree on a new CBA, and I still think the majority of owners want a cap.

The cap isn't going anywhere as long as there's a CBA IMO. The NFLPA say they will never agree to a cap again if it goes but that's just a threat to get a new CBA done quickly. It would simply be used as a bargaining chip.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

It wont affect anything this is not the NBA where a championship team can be built in one year (Celtics)
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
It would suck for my Tennessee Titans because we don't have the financial muscle of large market teams. I am happy to say that the majority of the core players we have though are currently under contract. Teams like Dallas and Washington and Oakland would go nuts on spending though, and for that one season, the NFL system, which makes the NFL the best league in the world, save NFL rookie contracts, would be in shambles. I really hope a collective bargaining agreement gets done beforehand
What makes you think Oakland has much money? We already threw it in Javon Walker's trash can and Jamarcus Russell's 100 inch flat screen TV
Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The issue wouldn't necessarily be what you think.

The NFL players union would have to strike straight away because now, teams can offer them any kind of insane clauses they like and they won't be able to negotiate their way away from them. While top tier players for example like Tom Brady wouldn't be affected a lot of the fringe players and STers would be. Pretty much the 50% + of the league that isn't a golden boy would be angry.

The owners would then lockout the union effectively saying, if you're a member of this union you can't work.

The union then disbands and you have all of your players representing themselves in their labor agreements.

The next problem you have is that your older oft' injured veterans won't find work. The NFL Teams will now have no possible protection from players getting injured in the game and they'll be open to lawsuits. These injury settlements will then be settled in the legal system, costing the NFL millions.

These factors will also see the loss of revenue sharing, so you'll get two or three big teams spending up big on very few players, that would leave a lot of guys looking for that juicy contract out in the cold. Teams that would've been able to give it to them like for example Greenbay, simply won't have the money to do so.

The breakdown of these agreements and the aforementioned strikes will lead to another issue what is known as anti trust law suits. This will likely see proceedings for the league shut down for a year which if it continues, means there won't be a draft at all... This means then that you've got players no longer eligible to play in the NCAA either going north, or waiting out to get an FA contract. It would take the league four or five years to get back to the balance it has today...

These are of course worst case scenarios and what I think will happen is that belt tightening economically will force owners back to the negotiating table quicker than they thought. This might sound harsh but, Gene Upshaw dying will actually be helpful to the negotiation process, as a new union leader won't want to be responsible for the uncapped period and destruction of the NFL as we know it. He'll therefore likely be more flexible than Upshaw was and help to bend to the owners will a little more and get an agreement, which can be worked on in place.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...+understanding

That there is something I did a while ago (can be read in the spoiler) with all the info you'll need to understand whats going on. Tere's an update to go with it at the end in the second spoiler.

An Update on the Situation