Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm with troy, give me a break with all these fines. this game is about hitting people. with the excessive fining, atleast create a 'premium fines club' where you can just pay $250,000 at the beginning of the season and then go out on the field and basically kill people, wear whatever jersey you want, and dance however you want to dance.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

He needs a haircut.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DId you guys see the video on ESPN with Mark Shlerth(sp)? That was hilarious, telling it how it was. They sell a video of NFL greatest hits, but they fine people for making those hits.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 62. Anything to extend that I support.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm with the helping people live longer, but you can't take people's money like that. i'd rather they just suspend players for a quarter. forget these fines. the rules are so ambigious anyway and can't always be called consistently. if something is blatent then just sit them out. hines was always in control of himself.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 10-16-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
i'm with the helping people live longer, but you can't take people's money like that. i'd rather they just suspend players for a quarter. forget these fines. the rules are so ambigious anyway and can't always be called consistently. if something is blatent then just sit them out. hines was always in control of himself.
Suspending players for quarters/halves/games would cost them more money than petty fines. You would hear a lot more players speak up if that were the case.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Troy is wrong. Times have changed. The game has changed. Players have changed. ...and most of all, the money has changed. Goddell is doing the right thing by protecting players, protecting the game and protecting the NFL's bank account.
Exactly. That makes Troy right. Times have changed, and Goddell is protecting plays, and that is making it a pansy game.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why can't you take peoples money like that? Companies can't dock your pay for bad behavior?

Jesus christ. What sense of entitlement everyone has. And if people are bitching about how much the fines are, they haven't been looking at the sheets.

Who gets fined the most? The ones making 3mil + 25k here and 25k there won't break the bank like troy says. You'd have to rack up 120 25k fines... And if you racked up 120 fines. You wouldn't be playing anyway because your coaching staff would be like, You're a tool.

Anyway. So what if the NFL is a pansy league, it's trying to protect its workers, if you want to see bloodshed and no-holds bar action, go watch the XFL reruns or MMA. Football is more than tackling and making unnecessarily brutal hits... it's about strategy and heart and preparation and execution. If you don't like that. Go whine to your mom.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

I think I only watched one XFL game, and a guy broke his neck that game....well! **** happens in a non-pansy league!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

there's a huge difference between mma and this, hines didn't really even do anything and they took money from him

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 10-16-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me a break with the breaking people's necks crap, those aren't the plays he is talking about, so don't go overboard. You are clearly trying to embelish to prove your point, but that doesn't make it right. It is the going to the whistle, showing emotion, or fines for players going to the whistle or playing a play through, that for some reason gets them fined. Correct me if i'm wrong, but no where does Troy say that you can helmet-to-helmet hit a guy, or 'break a guys neck' and get away with it.....I agree that the NFL has gone overboard on fines and penalties. Penalize the plays/players that deserve it, let the players play. It is pretty obvious when a player deserves it, but the NFL has gone soft on a number of accounts. While we're at it, correct the stupid WR/DB pass interference calls too, the WR shouldn't always get the benefit of the doubt. I can't even count the number of times i've seen a WR clearly interfer with a DB playing the ball and the WR isn't but nothing is called. Lots of stupidness going on. (Off topic rant!!)

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
there's a huge difference between mma and this, hines didn't really even do anything and they took money from him
how much does hines make?

what percentage of that fine is how much he makes.

i think the NFL has too many whiners.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I think I only watched one XFL game, and a guy broke his neck that game....well! **** happens in a non-pansy league!
I loved that scramble for the ball they had before games instead of a coin toss.

And Troy bitching about the rules making it a "pansy game" is a lot of talk coming from someone who got a college education and loads of wealth doing nothing more than playing a ******* GAME.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

there's a difference between people sitting at home jealous that athlete's make money and it being alright to take a person's money just because they can afford it. the entire league has a problem with money. the commish is so scared of being unfair that he's micromanaging calls and raking in player's money. owners are cutting players and forcing restructures to save money without honoring their own deals. nobody...NOBODY is looking out for the player's best interest besides themselves. there's a difference between feeling sorry for rich players having 15k taken from them and acknowledging that its wrong. i don't feel sorry for them, but its still not right to take a dime from someone when they are just doing their jobs.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 10-16-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
there's a difference between people sitting at home jealous that athlete's make money and it being alright to take a person's money just because they can afford it. the entire league has a problem with money. the commish is so scared of being unfair that he's micromanaging calls and raking in player's money. owners are cutting players and forcing restructures to save money without honoring their own deals. nobody...NOBODY is looking out for the player's best interest besides themselves. there's a difference between feeling sorry for rich players having 15k taken from them and acknowledging that its wrong. i don't feel sorry for them, but its still not right to take a dime from someone when they are just doing their jobs.
Are you calling me jealous?

not to beat a really dead horse.

Belichek was doing his job at winning games. He also was caught taping people. He was fined.

Was it wrong that he was fined? Or was it fine because he was looking out for his own job and self.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The point to which he's referring is stuff like Geoff Rucker's fine a year or so ago when he hit Chris Simms rupturing his spleen. All that happened was instead of going high on Simms he hit him with his shoulder in the mid section, a text book tackle and it just happened to be at the right angle at the right time and that's that. Rucker got fined and he didn't do anything.

A few weeks ago against Atlanta Peppers hit Ryan as he was releasing the ball, literally no time in it and that forced an INT that went back for a TD. Houchuli through his flag and peppers ended up with a fine. The hit wasn't late, wasn't helmet to helmet but he still gets fined.

Thats just two I remember from Panthers games, there's gotta be a lot more stories of guys just playing the game and getting slapped with a fine.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
The point to which he's referring is stuff like Geoff Rucker's fine a year or so ago when he hit Chris Simms rupturing his spleen. All that happened was instead of going high on Simms he hit him with his shoulder in the mid section, a text book tackle and it just happened to be at the right angle at the right time and that's that. Rucker got fined and he didn't do anything.
Do they even know what specific hit ruptured Simms' spleen? He was getting absolutely destroyed the entire game.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i would/am jealous i'd love to have their money

i'd say that was cheating, hines and that cb were on the field, when you are suited up and ready to go i'd call it fair game. that cb should have just held him or illegal handchecked him later, or better yet just told his buddy to clock ward next time he went across the middle if he felt he was wronged. which i'm not a huge proponent for letting the players police themselves, but this was very very minor. i'd say the difference is the 'spirit of the game' kind of like 'community standards' in towns. a little physicality and aggression during the play is to be expected. no excuse for belicheck

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They believe it was the rucker hit, he came up really sore after that game, the next two plays were like runs up the middle if I recall and a punt.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
i would/am jealous i'd love to have their money

i'd say that was cheating, hines and that cb were on the field, when you are suited up and ready to go i'd call it fair game. that cb should have just held him or illegal handchecked him later, or better yet just told his buddy to clock ward next time he went across the middle if he felt he was wronged. which i'm not a huge proponent for letting the players police themselves, but this was very very minor. i'd say the difference is the 'spirit of the game' kind of like 'community standards' in towns. a little physicality and aggression during the play is to be expected. no excuse for belicheck
if there's no excuse for belichek you're giving a double standard... it's okay for people to be wrong on questionable deeds and get fined, whereas if you have video replay proof that crap is going on, and you subsequently get fined... it's a terrible travesty?

get real. two things.

1)players are incapable of policing themselves at large. Hell. they can't even keep themselves out of trouble, let alone not attempt to cause panic and retribution.

2)if you let players police themselves. I'll describe to you quickly, what would happen.

players would: take out the best players. take out people above them. go for the kill. cause severe injury. teams wouldn't be able to field enough players in a game. teams then subsequently lose significant investments. and in the end, no one wins.

if you can't accept either of those answers, you are in serious need of a checkup.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Polamalu doesn't like it, go play in another football league. Stupid ass whiner.

I'm so sick of these players who break the rules in some way and then ***** about getting fined. **** and get it right instead, you dolts.

Honestly, look at how many players are actually getting fined per week and how many are playing in total.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
how much does hines make?

what percentage of that fine is how much he makes.

i think the NFL has too many whiners.
That doesnt make sense at all buddy, so by your logic your boss should be able to make you pay him ten bucks anytime he wants for no reason just because it is a very small fraction of your income? Thats ********, how about we think things through before we post.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many times do we see defenders get flagged/fined for hitting the head of the quarterback? And we still see it.

How many times do we see players get flagged/fined for helmet-to-helmet hits? And we still see it.

And so on.

You want to bring up players from a completely different era, go for it. But that's just stupid really, there's a number of differences in the game, the rules, the league, etc. from then and today.

But don't tell me a HOF player like Ronnie Lott is an idiot who couldn't play smart. Give me a break, he would get it right in today's NFL.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
If Polamalu doesn't like it, go play in another football league. Stupid ass whiner.

I'm so sick of these players who break the rules in some way and then ***** about getting fined. **** and get it right instead, you dolts.

Honestly, look at how many players are actually getting fined per week and how many are playing in total.
I think you're missing the point...

He isn't saying that people should not be fined, just that the league in general is turning into a "pansy" league and that a lot of the newer rules are a bit excessive and take away from what football was.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The difference between Belicheat and the players getting fined here is that most of these hits that are drawing fines arn't against any of the rules. Both Ward and Clark were fined for the Steelers for hits. Ward wasn't even told what hit he was getting fined for and Clark was fined for helmet to helmet when it clearly wasn't a helmet to helmet hit.

I support the league trying to make it a safer game. They have to. Too many guys are getting hurt. Injuries are going to happen no matter what, but this should atleast cut back on it.

The only thing I disagree with is the inconsistency between calls.

But I have read that only 10% of fines are reported publicly so maybe there is more consistency than I get to hear about. But I can only judge it off of the plays we know about.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote