Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFL Voids Rams-Haslett Deal Due to Rooney Rule

Quote:
The NFL has voided a contract between the St. Louis Rams and Jim Haslett that stipulated if Haslett wins six games, he would become the full-time head coach after this season, ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen has confirmed.

CBSSports.com first reported that the league office informed the Rams that the six-wins clause violated the Rooney Rule, and so the contract was void.

Under the contract, which the Rams discussed with the league but never formally submitted, Haslett would have been able to keep the Rams head coaching job with six wins this season or collect a seven-figure bonus, a league official told Mortensen.

The Rooney Rule was established in 2003 to ensure that minority candidates be interviewed for any head coaching vacancy. The rule does not apply to interim hires in-season from a team's coaching staff.
This was definitely not the intention of the Rooney Rule. Just wow...

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes it is. The Rams would make a coaching hire without interviewing any non-white coaches. I understand that it seems a little pedantic, but if you consider that there were almost no non-white coaches before the rule was put in place, it's understandable why.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

What a ******* joke.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Yes it is. The Rams would make a coaching hire without interviewing any non-white coaches. I understand that it seems a little pedantic, but if you consider that there were almost no non-white coaches before the rule was put in place, it's understandable why.
I completely agree with the intention of the rule, but I think that cases can be made for interim head coaches to be given the full-time job without a hiring process.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A case could be made for a lot of circumstances, but if you have the rule you must enforce it or there will be violations across the board. For example, when Jerry Jones "interviewed" Denny Green over the phone before hiring Bill Parcells.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That rule is stupid. I hate rules and **** like that.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is the same going to apply for a team like the Seahawks and Cowboys who have Jim Mora and Jason Garrett waiting in the wings?

Overall, I think the Rooney rule is a good rule. However, I think a lot of it is a dog and pony show. If you're a good coach these days, people will know who you are and will want you, regardless of race. If anything, I'd be insulted if I was a black guy and some team interviewed me for a job they had no intention of giving me, just so they could fill their minority candidate quota.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Is the same going to apply for a team like the Seahawks and Cowboys who have Jim Mora and Jason Garrett waiting in the wings?

Overall, I think the Rooney rule is a good rule. However, I think a lot of it is a dog and pony show. If you're a good coach these days, people will know who you are and will want you, regardless of race. If anything, I'd be insulted if I was a black guy and some team interviewed me for a job they had no intention of giving me, just so they could fill their minority candidate quota.
The Jim Mora case took place in the offseason so the NFL lets that pass; atleast that's the explanation rotoworld gave.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad there's a Rooney rule. It's the only thing stopping the Lions from firing Marinelli and naming Jim Colletto our Head Coach for next season. haha, now that is a scary thought.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well they're just going to hire Haslett again anyway. Kind of pointless to interview any other candidates, black or white, if they already have their man.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The rule is good, but in this instance it is a waste of time and probably insulting to whoever they choose to interview in order to fulfill the rule's requirements.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
The rule is good, but in this instance it is a waste of time and probably insulting to whoever they choose to interview in order to fulfill the rule's requirements.
++, someone gets it.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never really heard of this rule to tell the truth. Is it similar to affirmative action?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Never really heard of this rule to tell the truth. Is it similar to affirmative action?
It's essentially affirmative action.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post

I'm pretty sure you have to interview a minority for a HC position before you can make anything official.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I would like to see some exception made for in-house hirings during a season. Mid-season firings are a special case situation, and if the team thinks they have a replacement already on staff and wishes to make it official, it only hurts the team to not be able to do so.

I don't disaprove of the Rooney Rule, although I find it a little misplaced. It doesn't seem like minority coordinators are being passed over in favor of caucasian coaches, although it may still be true that it's harder to work your way up that far as a minority. Either way, the Rooney Rule doesn't aid that situation in any way.

Quote:
I imagine it would if the Seahawks or Cowboys offered the guys head coaching contracts midseason. When/if the offseason ends and Holmgren and Phillips are both out, both teams would be forced to conduct interviews beyond the candidates we all know have locks on the job.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the rule should be edited. If you want to hire within, you can. However, if you want to interview any candidate outside the organization then you have to interview a minority also.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
It's essentially affirmative action.
Meh, no me gusta then.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

It only requires that teams interview a minority candidate, they don't have to fill a quoata (most affirmitive action programs don't either for the record).

Most of the time simply being allowed in the interview process has led to a player getting either that job or another down the line. Mike Tomlin, for example, most likely never would have received the Steelers job had he not gotten that initial hire. Likely the same could be said for Lovie Smith.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 10-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, this is absolute BS.

As to the people talking about the Indianapolis and Seattle ones, it won't void there's because this decision was "made in the offseason".

This is crap, so pretty much if we want to keep him we interview a minority...

Interview:

Chip: Welcome *insert name*
Coach: Thanks, so the interview..?
Chip: Yeah, well we have our guy, its required by the NFL that we waste your time and bring you in for absolutely nothing, so yeah, been a nice interview thanks and good luck.

End of interview.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

This is incredibly moronic. Oh well at least the rams will get to waste some coaches time in the offseason. If I was their GM I'd bring in Denny Green just to ask him about the pats and if they were who we thought they were also.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:43 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Exactly. I wouldn't even want to go to the interview if they contacted me when they already know who they're going to hire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I think the rule should be edited. If you want to hire within, you can. However, if you want to interview any candidate outside the organization then you have to interview a minority also.
That's the right solution and hopefully will be changed to that eventually.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should bring in Ron Rivera since he's use to going on tons of interviews and being turned down.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
They should bring in Ron Rivera since he's use to going on tons of interviews and being turned down.
Except he's not black...
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Except he's not black...
He's still a minority.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote