Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't seem like a problem. If he gets 6 wins just wait till after the season and go through the hiring process. If he gets 6 wins he'll have the respect of the players and the front office and that will be enough to get him the job.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Ha, Brian Leonard baby.
did he fall off the face of the freaking earth he has like 2 carries for 7 yards this year

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
did he fall off the face of the freaking earth he has like 2 carries for 7 yards this year
He's hurt...again...

Such a wasted pick.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Not really. When coaches like Tomlin and Singletary got interviews initially for some teams based on the Rooney Rule, and it was found that they could do it. After a few interviews with different teams (IIRC,) Tomlin got his job, and Singletary was a candidate for awhile due to the rule. Even when a team has their guy, the other interviews may open it up for these candidates down the line, or the team may be surprised with a candidate and hire him.
Yep. From what I've heard/read and been told... Grimm was the shoe-in for the Steelers.

But Per the Rooney rule they interviewed Tomlin, Whisenhunt and Rivera.

Whisenhunt Took the Arizona job.

Grimm thought he had the job.

Tomlin was so impressive that they hired him.

Now if it weren't for the Rooney Rule Russ Grimm would likely have been the HC in Pittsburgh and frankly I don't think the Steelers would be as good as they are now with Grimm. I've never been impressed with him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I really think Tomlin was the only coach who really benefitted from this rule. Lovie Smith before getting the job was a popular candidate for many jobs and was well respected as a future head coach across the league. If anything Tony Dungy's success as a coach and putting together a great staff is has been more influential in getting head coaching jobs for black candidates than the Rooney rule. But that works for white coaches under him as well. Although it is fitting that the Rooney rule truly helped someone get the Steelers job out of all teams.
There was also a lot of Speculation that Goodell stepped in reminding Dan of the "Rooney" Rule and thus he should hire a minority candidate.

I don't care if thats the reason or not, We got the best coach of the 4 candidates.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
There was also a lot of Speculation that Goodell stepped in reminding Dan of the "Rooney" Rule and thus he should hire a minority candidate.

I don't care if thats the reason or not, We got the best coach of the 4 candidates.
I wouldn't say he is the best of the 4 yet. I'm personally not totally impressed. He looks like a glorified cheerleader often on the sidelines. He walked into a great situation. Such a stable franchise with proven players all over the field. Much better than a situation if the previous coach was fired. He kept the great proven defensive coordinator that was already there and allows him to continue to run his scheme, and not the one Timlin is most familiar with. He also promoted the offensive coordinator from in house. In my mind it almost like this team still has training wheels on it for Timlin.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't say he is the best of the 4 yet. I'm personally not totally impressed. He looks like a glorified cheerleader often on the sidelines. He walked into a great situation. Such a stable franchise with proven players all over the field. Much better than a situation if the previous coach was fired. He kept the great proven defensive coordinator that was already there and allows him to continue to run his scheme, and not the one Timlin is most familiar with. He also promoted the offensive coordinator from in house. In my mind it almost like this team still has training wheels on it for Timlin.
That stigma would have been of all the 4.

Grimm/Rivera went from possible HC candidates to positional coaching positions, Whisenhunt is doing good in Zona.

As for him, He has been better drafting then Cowher.

Not to mention the Age of the team has been rough.

Whis, Grimm, Rivera would've kept LeBeau. You can't fault him for coaching the best DC in the NFL.

Add to that he has contributed and worked out schemes for this team.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
He's hurt...again...

Such a wasted pick.
Last year it didn't look that bad but this year he hasn't done anything, obviously

Whats the injury??

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
That stigma would have been of all the 4.

Grimm/Rivera went from possible HC candidates to positional coaching positions, Whisenhunt is doing good in Zona.

As for him, He has been better drafting then Cowher.

Not to mention the Age of the team has been rough.

Whis, Grimm, Rivera would've kept LeBeau. You can't fault him for coaching the best DC in the NFL.

Add to that he has contributed and worked out schemes for this team.
I wouldv'e kept LeBeau too. It's just my belief that is really hard to judge Tomlin right now because I feel he doesn't have as much of an impact on the team as most head coaches.

Better drafting than Cowher? That is awfully hard to say. It has only been two years and neither 1st round pick has contributed a ton to the team. But either way it is hard to say so far. Need more time there. And who knows who is picking these players.

For me it would just be hard to say he is hands down better than the other candidates. Especially right now when O-line is clearly the worst part of your team, you can't tell me Russ Grimm would not be a big influence at that part of the team.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I wouldv'e kept LeBeau too. It's just my belief that is really hard to judge Tomlin right now because I feel he doesn't have as much of an impact on the team as most head coaches.

Better drafting than Cowher? That is awfully hard to say. It has only been two years and neither 1st round pick has contributed a ton to the team. But either way it is hard to say so far. Need more time there. And who knows who is picking these players.

For me it would just be hard to say he is hands down better than the other candidates. Especially right now when O-line is clearly the worst part of your team, you can't tell me Russ Grimm would not be a big influence at that part of the team.
Eh,

I've read from a reporter that either Colon or Simmons said:

"Russ really ain't a technique or 'Do it this way' guy, he was more of a 'do what works for you best' kind of guy. That really made it hard for rookies to come in and contribute because you not only had to learn what you's doing, but also how the guy next to you plays."

Problem with it now is.. our OC/OL Coaches need to be fired and replacements found (Praying for Norv Turner/Norm Chow for OC and Georgia's Stacy Searles for OL)...

And we need some draft picks along both lines.... Ben needs to learn to take what he can get.. I almost hate when he makes a Splash play in a game because he abandons the little stuff and just tries to make those big plays all the time.

It may be a bit absurd.... But from what I hear, Colbert actually has some input. Which he didn't with Cowher.