Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default WANTED:

A review of what the rest of the NFL thinks of the Atlanta Falcons.

I'd like to get some opinions from people who aren't fans of teams we've beaten or lost to, unless they want to be unbiased as they can be. I'd really like to hear what people with no ties to the NFC South especially or any feeling towards those teams. Mostly neutral people who may have happened to see a few Falcons games this season, not just stat boys who look at final scores to determine if a team played a good game or not.

I realize I'm asking for a lot from someone, but I'm hoping of everyone on this board I can get a good well thought out post from at least one person out there. If you can't offer what I'm asking for, then please just refrain from posting, this board doesn't need another thread arguing about how much more Bears or Bucs fans know than Falcons fans. I'm looking for some good football talk, possibly even a breakdown of the matchup this Sunday against Oakland, I have my feelings on the game curious as to what some outsiders think.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The falcons are pretty good.

I don't know if they can keep it up, but right now, they look like a solid near playoff contender. really, i can seem them going 9-7, but the main issue then becomes, who will slip first in the nfcs...

let me break it down

-matt ryan is godsent. i'm pretty sure everyone on the board will agree, that -he's gone above and beyond the expectation of most.
the running game is top notch.
-the offensive line is gelling well, providing enough protection. I'd like to see a little more out of the run blocking these past few weeks, but i think it's more allowing ryan to stretch the field than otherwise...
-roddy white has progressed very nicely. but i don't think i can managed to say this enough. if there's one team in the NFL who needs to draft a TE next year, it's the falcons. also, a nice core of young WR's who still need time to develop, it's a strength, but not by much. if turner went down with an injury at any point, i don't see the passing game being 'as threatening' as it has been.
-defensively, abraham has had 1 sack in 4 weeks. i think they're experiencing the production dropoff in abraham that has happened in the past few years... he also isn't tackling as well since the GB game (against the bears and iggles)
-really, surprisingly, i think the db situation is pretty average. when the d-line does get that aggression and pressure, the db situation looks above average, otherwise, it can look rather mediocre. prone to lapses in concentration, and some big plays. houston has potential, but lawyer milloy doesn't look like who he used to be, and coleman looks 'alright'.
-back to the d-line though, against philly, it looked banged up and physically tired, i also didn't see the LB's stepping up and taking control of the situation... that's probably where i'd fault the falcons for the most is that they just don't have the firepower to use the LB's to assist the DL and the DB's... they do an OK job when the DL is in it's paces... but otherwise, they haven't shown me the ability to step up when needed. the big plays do NOT come from the LB position in the falcons defense.

unbiased? i certainly hope so.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've watched two Falcons game and I can't honestly assess them on that. They beat the Packers and got ran all over by Westbrook the two time I've seen them. I'll make a prediction so take it for what it's worth. 9-7. Miss the wild card. They aren't in an easy division.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons are a major surprise to me this year. They've beaten some good teams this year and if that awful call on the 'muffed' punt hadn't happened would've had the chance to beat the Eagles.
They can throw the ball, they can run the ball, they can catch and i'm predicting in a year or two they'll have on of the better offenses in the league.
Defensively they could use a stud D Tackle, another corner and a safety to take over for Milloy but I really like the LB corps of Boley, Lofton and Brooking.
I think best case scenario for them this year is 9-7 but probably just missing out on playoffs.

ATL@OAK-W
ATLvsNO-W
ATLvsDEN-W
ATLvsCAR-L
ATL@SD-W
ATL@NO-L
ATLvsTB-L
ATL@MIN-L
ATLvsSTL-W

9-7, however you could switch results in SD and Minny games
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
The Falcons are a major surprise to me this year. They've beaten some good teams this year and if that awful call on the 'muffed' punt hadn't happened would've had the chance to beat the Eagles.
They can throw the ball, they can run the ball, they can catch and i'm predicting in a year or two they'll have on of the better offenses in the league.
Defensively they could use a stud D Tackle, another corner and a safety to take over for Milloy but I really like the LB corps of Boley, Lofton and Brooking.
I think best case scenario for them this year is 9-7 but probably just missing out on playoffs.

ATL@OAK-W
ATLvsNO-W
ATLvsDEN-W
ATLvsCAR-L
ATL@SD-W
ATL@NO-L
ATLvsTB-L
ATL@MIN-L
ATLvsSTL-W

9-7, however you could switch results in SD and Minny games
If the NFL this year has proved anything, it has shown that you can switch the result in any game, not just two. Although I do agree with the 9-7 and barely miss the playoff result.

As for the team in general, I haven't watched too many of their games but I think that if they have a good offseason this next year than they could be among the top teams in the NFC.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

I think there a decent team that are about 2 years away, they have playmakes and great young players on the offensive side of the ball but need help on the defensive side. Lawyor Miloy and Keith Brooking used to be pro-bowl players but have no business starting on an nfl team especially not a playoff caliber one. They could also use a playmaker in the secondary and a decent DT. They do however have some solid talent they can build around, Abraham, Boley, Lofton are all studs and houston has a load of potential. On offence Matt Ryan and Sam Baker are playing great, roddy white, gandy and white are all studs and the only real hole seems to be TE.
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

Preo32 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im a Falcons fan living in Chicago and ill tell you what some Bears fans have said:

Matt Ryan is the best theyve seen a rookie QB play in a long time. None are willing to admit or say he is better than Matt Forte. Doesnt happen here in Chicago. They say that the Falcons won b/c the DBs were injured, and its a fact that basically 4 of their 5 best DBs were either out before the game or got hurt during it. They say the Falcons need a TE, OL, DT, and a DB and that will improve them a lot. I agree with basically all of those too.

I also have a friend that likes the Eagles and another that is a Lions fan. The Eagles fan thinks Roddy and Ryan are a Top-5 NFL duo in terms of QB/WR. The Lions fan thinks that the Lions will probably go 0-16, but he still thinks Atlanta is a good team and he is actually rooting for them.

As a Falcons fan, I think that in 2-5 years, we can be a Top 4 or 5 team in the NFC... Easily.

Atlanta Falcons
Preo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh. In 2-5 years we are going to be a top5 team in the NFL. Tom Dmitroff is Godsend with his drafting.

Not only do we have a franchise QB who is in the lead for OROTY, a possible franchise LT, a MLB who is in the race for DROTY, but our other guys are getting good playing time and will only get better. We have a legit core of players.

3 of those guys are possible franchise cornerstones. Can you imagine what he does next draft? Yeah.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thanks to everyone who responded

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 11-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote