Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rodgers extended

Quote:
It took only seven starts for Aaron Rodgers to convince the Green Bay Packers he’s their quarterback of the present and the future.
Advertisement
Quantcast

The Packers announced this afternoon they have extended Rodgers’ contract through 2014.
5 years. Smart move I would have to say. Lock him up in case before he gets too expensive. One consideration of course is his durability.

I expect this to be one of a series of extension from Ted this season. Jennings for sure will get locked up too.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smart move by the pack, for the same reasons you stated. I was one of his supporters, and am glad he got his chance now. He sruprised me a bit with how he started out to be honest, but I thought and think he will be a great QB.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
MJK

I wonder how the 49'ers are feeling at the moment...
Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a good move right now to go ahead and lock him up. The only reservation I have about the extension is Rodger's durability, but I guess you have to take risks as a GM.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I saw this. Great move by TT.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
I wonder how the 49'ers are feeling at the moment...
Rodgers would have probably crashed in SF... Just like Couch crashed in CLE, just like all young qb's that are thrown in there early BEHIND BAD LINES AND A BAD SUPPORTING CAST usually do.

I have always thought Rodgers was better, but I think he would have bombed in SF.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith's problem was never realistically him.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice move by GB AR has shut alot of people up my self being one of them.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really nice move. Rogers should be one of the more productive quarterbacks in the next five years. They should keep Jennings away from free agency as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish the Packers would start to have a QB that sucks. After all those years i think they deserve mediocre QB Play like all the other NFC North teams

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
MJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Rodgers would have probably crashed in SF... Just like Couch crashed in CLE, just like all young qb's that are thrown in there early BEHIND BAD LINES AND A BAD SUPPORTING CAST usually do.

I have always thought Rodgers was better, but I think he would have bombed in SF.
I was mostly joking.

However, Alex Smith was also simply a bad quarterback, and to whoever said Alex Smith's problem was never himself, well, it really was. I mean, he got beat out by JT O'Sullivan. Come on.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know how I feel about this. Rodgers is playing very well, but it has only been 7 starts...Durablity seems that it may be an issue. He hasn't exactly completely lit it up either.

I think they could have waited until the end of the season or so. Of course, this could look to be a brilliant move.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesnt seem to be able to throw the deep ball like Farve but he's looked solid, why again did they draft Brian Brohm?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh man, i remember how everyone bashed the bears for not picking Brohm in round 2nd. He was sooo pro ready. Cant even beat out a 7th rounder called Matt Flynn

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is 6 years 65 mil 20 guaranteed. Crapload of money for a guy with 7 starts but I'm not nervous.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was mostly joking.

However, Alex Smith was also simply a bad quarterback, and to whoever said Alex Smith's problem was never himself, well, it really was. I mean, he got beat out by JT O'Sullivan. Come on.
If I am not mistaken he has had a very bad shoulder most of his career and has never had a true #1 receiver or a good line blocking for him, as well as a tight end that hasn't done anything...

Only positive on that offense when he was the starter was Frank Gore.

I'm not saying that Alex Smith would have been a good QB, but I think he could have been a game managing QB in the right situation, not worthy of the #1 pick though.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I dont know how I feel about this. Rodgers is playing very well, but it has only been 7 starts...Durablity seems that it may be an issue. He hasn't exactly completely lit it up either.

I think they could have waited until the end of the season or so. Of course, this could look to be a brilliant move.
It's a great move, and I hate the durability crap. He'll be fine. He's not going to start 260 straight games, but it won't be a serious issue. And this year he has shown that he can play through injuries. The two previous there was no reason for him to try so we shut him down. The broken foot no one would have been able to play through anyway. Any QB can get hurt if hit in the wrong place. Tom Brady and Carson Palmer had season ending injuries this year, Tony Romo is missing significant time, and the chiefs lost like 5 QBs. If you play in the NFL you will likely miss some games. I think too big of a deal gets made out of his injuries.

As for you questioning his production, he has 12 TDs and a 98.8 QB rating which ranks him 7th in the NFL in each, he also only has 4 INTs and 1668 yards. Pretty damn good for anyone let a lone a first year starter.

By signing him now rather than at the end of the season we are able to use some of the unused cap space of 2008, which we have a lot of. Big advantage to do it now.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Smith's problem was never realistically him.
I agree - I think Smith could be a good QB in the right situation. He was showing real progress in his 2nd season. Poor coaching and a bad Oline, mediocre WR/TEs contibuted to his downfall.

Good move by the pack, though. Hopefully he stays healthy.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
He doesnt seem to be able to throw the deep ball like Farve but he's looked solid, why again did they draft Brian Brohm?
I don't know what was with that. I was always for just taking a John David Booty or a Matt Flynn late round QB.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So.. is Brohm going to be traded like Schaub was?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
So.. is Brohm going to be traded like Schaub was?
He'll have to make big improvements before we can think about that.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not too keen on giving a guy who hasn't even played one full season an extension of 11M per for five years. (At least he's not a kid out of college.) Nevermind one who can't even stay healthy for one season.

However Rodgers is good as long as he can stay healthy. And given that the Packers have something around 20M or more in free cap space for this season plus how quarterback-vital the league can be these days, I can't fault the team for extending him now.

It was pretty much the case that he was the long-term guy for the Packers, unless Brohm somehow managed to outplay him which hasn't even come close to happening. This just makes it official.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm not too keen on giving a guy who hasn't even played one full season an extension of 11M per for five years. (At least he's not a kid out of college.) Nevermind one who can't even stay healthy for one seasonl.
I think that brings up a good point. His deal is still $12 million less than what Matt Ryan got.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont look down upon him as a player or anything. I think he is doing a great job (I thought he would), but I still have a problem paying that much for a guy with 7 starts and has had a couple injuries. Will these injuries continue to come back? What if theres one he can't play through? Just little things like that. 6 years and 65 million is a lot of money and I dont think it would have hurt the franchise to wait another 10 weeks.

Matt Ryan is a different case in my opinion. Falcons (among other teams that pick that high) have no choice but to pay a guy that much. Plus, he is going to be worth it :)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was mostly joking.

Spoken like someone who doesnt follow the team. Alex had to learn in a couple months what JTO had known for over a year. He also hurt his shoulder before the season. The consensus among the organization is that, early on, JTO would be better and then, once Alex learned the playbook, Alex would take over the starting job before season's end.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote