Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Overlooked Statistics

Here is a list of statistics that I think get overlooked when judging a player. A QB rating is decent in combining comp. %, TDs thrown, and interceptions, but its still a poor way to judge a QB. Interceptions are the same thing.

Yards Per Attempt
Like I said, the QB rating is nice, but one awesome statistic is the YPA. This is where you get the idea of how the QB plays. Is he the type of guy to check down constantly to his backs and TE or is he a guy who will take shots downfield to keep the defense honest? If you add this statistic with the comp. %, you can really gauge the type of player he is. High YPA, low comp % = Gunslinger. Low YPA, high comp. % = Captain Checkdown.

Fumbles lost
When taking into account how well a QB does, we only refer to interceptions, yet fumbles lost can often be even more devastating, especially because they occur 5-10 yards behind the LOS, as oppose to an interception which is more downfield. A lost fumble by a QB can change the momentum so much more than an interception. At least you can think of some picks as punts. Lost fumbles by the QB? Blocked punts. Also, lost fumbles might even let you know about the QB's pocket presence. How often does he realize he is being pressured? Does he know he can get off that throw in time?

Sacks allowed/ Penalties
This stat only gets overlooked because official sites like NFL.com or ESPN.com do not have it, but there are a few places that update every week or so that have a way to rate offensive lineman. I dont know the site off the top of my head, but I will add it later if I find out. Its impossible to watch every game and watch the offensive tackle each time to gauge their performance, but by the end of the season, the number of sacks they have given up along with the number of penalties garnered, you might have a good idea of who the top performers of the season are. Looking at the number of times the team passed might be a good idea as well.

Drops
A lot more widely used statistic than previous ones, but drops can often kill drives and momentum. Number of receptions with YPC and YAC is great, you look at guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison and there are consistent guys you can count on every play. Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens? Not nearly as much.

Pressures
Sacks are very hard to get, especially considering that a QB can usually avoid the pressure of one of the guys on D and throw the ball away or throw to a checkdown, but pressures are where its at. You pressure a QB into getting sacked by another player. You pressure a guy to waste a play by throwing it away. You pressure a guy to make a dumb throw. I know this statistic is available somewhere, but once again, its really hard to come by.

Tackles for losses
Tackles are nice, but they can be made all over the field and they still show up the same. You can tackle a guy 1 yard past the LOS and it would show up as the same thing as tackling him 5-6 yards downfield. Tackles for losses helps figure out how well the player is getting penetration and how instinctive they may be. Of course you cannot just judge a player based on this statistic, but for DL, it really does help.

Thrown at/ Completed
This statistic is really hard to come by, especially because theres often confusion about whether the player was playing zone or man, but in order to judge a CB, anything may be better than interceptions. Interceptions probably occur more time than not with over or under thrown passes, rather than good coverage. It really does annoy me when people try to use the Player A has more interceptions than Player B. The point of a CB is to play such tight coverage and not get passes thrown his way, in which case, how is he going to rack up interceptions like other CBs?

They really need to revamp the statistic system and make these stats available to the public. I know they have a lot of these, as they are often flashed during game time, but would it be too hard to upload them on a site?

Feel free to add more of what you think.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yesterday I think Thom Brenneman nearly had a heart attack when he saw Fitz actually drop a ball

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drops - Braylon.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pressures is a stat I wish they kept more. Sacks are awesome, but pressures can lead to even bigger plays. A player can have two sacks in a game but could have been nonexistent other than those two plays, whereas a player could have no sacks but could have been in the backfield all day and caused poor throws and turnovers.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Block Shedding %!!!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish they kept better DB stats. I know deangelo said passes thrown at/completed, but it'd be nice if there was a total breakdown of stats against zone, man coverage, thrown at/completed, ypa etc... available. It's kind of annoying not having it.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
I wish they kept better DB stats. I know deangelo said passes thrown at/completed, but it'd be nice if there was a total breakdown of stats against zone, man coverage, thrown at/completed, ypa etc... available. It's kind of annoying not having it.

A stat similar to OBP? That type of stat or more like VORP?
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is Bruce Banner and T24L arguing about Sabr and a bunch of crappy computer stats used in baseball?

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
A stat similar to OBP? That type of stat or more like VORP?
Kind of like a VORP. I mean, I want to know if Nnamdi Asomugha gets thrown at 60 times all season, how many were in zone? How many were in man? How many were completed? What was the longest pass completed? It would give a lot more credit to corners who don't rack up INTs.

For example, Asante Samuel leads the Eagles in interceptions, yet Sheldon Brown has been a better pure coverage corner.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Yeah, that would be a cool stat to come up with. A true reflection of one's season.
Quote:
Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Another good one would be "First Downs Allowed By a DB". I think it'd be interesting.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TD Receptions by QBs. Tyler Thigpen would be the MVP based on that category.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
www.truth.com!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Only because Flacco fell over!

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think pancake blocks, or flat backs for O-line needs to be a stat thats added.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like in Team stats, teams should count Yards per Pass Attempt more than just yards given up just like for Rush defense

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how about hurries that led to turnovers?

tackles behind or @ the LOS
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id like to see all the tackles. Made TFL, T1-3, t3-9, t10.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think first downs per passing attempt is one that would be interesting.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
I feel like in Team stats, teams should count Yards per Pass Attempt more than just yards given up just like for Rush defense
They do.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...S&d-447263-n=1
Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I think first downs per passing attempt is one that would be interesting.
Check out the link I posted.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
I know they do, i meant that they should use that to determine what team is the best rush/pass defense

Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I think pancake blocks, or flat backs for O-line needs to be a stat thats added.
this isn't madden. pancake blocks are completely irrelevant and do nothing to describe how tackles and o-linemen are doing their job.

so. no. that stat does not need to be added. anytime. anywhere.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Sacks allowed and pressures allowed would be nice

Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i believe that TFL and Hurries are more important than sacks... well. as much as TFL's are actually sort of sacks anyways in their own right.

the problem is is that there are zero consistencies in reporting tackles. let alone deciphering tfl's and hurries.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote