Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Thigamahjigee hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
well he is not the only one that gets consistent pressure and i dont feel like he is clear cut the best one

He's not. And he isn't. Like I said in my posts, there isn't miles between him and Tuck/Mario this season in all honesty. He has been the best DE this year by whatever amount. I have little doubt about that.
Thigamahjigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think he is clear cut the best one this season either.
I mean all we know about Tuck, we basically learned this season right? So if he is better than Abraham, Tuck has to be Better than Abe this season too

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
He's not. And he isn't. Like I said in my posts, there isn't miles between him and Tuck/Mario this season in all honesty. He has been the best DE this year by whatever amount. I have little doubt about that.
You can say he has been the best pass rusher off the edge, no doubt. But labeling him the best DE this season is a bit strong considering his responsibilities are thin compared to both Tuck and Williams.

In no way am I putting Abe down, he has been dominating from the get go this year. It just might be a simple difference in what we expect from DEs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
You can say he has been the best pass rusher off the edge, no doubt. But labeling him the best DE this season is a bit strong considering his responsibilities are thin compared to both Tuck and Williams.

In no way am I putting Abe down, he has been dominating from the get go this year. It just might be a simple difference in what we expect from DEs.

I suppose it could be contributed to that. If Abraham was playing the run like he did with the Jets, hell even as soon as last season I wouldn't be calling him the best. He's been extremely impressive though, and has turned some heads with his run-stopping ability this year. Although he's still a far better pass-rusher and still gets upfield too quickly on runs.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a lot of doubt about it. 8 of his sacks (Detroit x 3, KC x 2, Oakland x 3) have come against awful, awful lines.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
I have a lot of doubt about it. 8 of his sacks (Detroit x 3, KC x 2, Oakland x 3) have come against awful, awful lines.
That's fine though. If he doesn't get sacks, people will rip him, and when he does get sacks against a poor team, people down play it because the team wasn't talented. Either way he gets screwed, someone will always say something.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
That's fine though. If he doesn't get sacks, people will rip him, and when he does get sacks against a poor team, people down play it because the team wasn't talented. Either way he gets screwed, someone will always say something.
I'm more questioning where he's been against good teams.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:

Like the Bucs and the Packers where he got a sack in each game + a FF?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Like the Bucs and the Packers where he got a sack in each game + a FF?
Carolina? Philly?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Again though, sacks don't tell the whole story. Is he getting pressure that is resulting in hurries and poor throws? What about the other team's protection they have installed for the game?

For instance, say I run a vertical stretch offense, so my QB is going to have 5 step and 7 step drops. But... John is a concern, so I want to change things up and go with a short to intermediate routes, and a horizontal stretch, and run concepts like flood and screens. So basically I changing things to a 1, 3, and 5 step drop, with a few 7 step ones because those plays are still our bread and butter for our offense.

Now because I change my plays, my protections change with it. So I run all the coverage beaters for those new plays and that results in ZERO sacks for John. Now to be fair, say I change the offense, but.. we still lose. They took us out of our element, but on the flip side he gets no sacks.

Now the avg fan sees those box score and wonders, wow, this guy sucks, against a good team he did nothing! See what I am getting at??? That stat doesn't explain anything to what went on in the game, and how the team gameplanned.

I see the same nonsense against teams that play us! They run alot of draws, playaction, screens, and slants against us, limiting the Qbs steps on his drops, and thus changing the protection as well. So 1, 3 or even 5 steps, the ball is out of the Qbs hand, so our DEs basically can't make a move because if they do, by the time they get past their man, the ball is gone.

That's just an example, but very under rated that the avg fan probably doesn't even think of.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Carolina? Philly?
and Bears :P

Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Again though, sacks don't tell the whole story. Is he getting pressure that is resulting in hurries and poor throws? What about the other team's protection they have installed for the game?

For instance, say I run a vertical stretch offense, so my QB is going to have 5 step and 7 step drops. But... John is a concern, so I want to change things up and go with a short to intermediate routes, and a horizontal stretch, and run concepts like flood and screens. So basically I changing things to a 1, 3, and 5 step drop, with a few 7 step ones because those plays are still our bread and butter for our offense.

Now because I change my plays, my protections change with it. So I run all the coverage beaters for those new plays and that results in ZERO sacks for John. Now to be fair, say I change the offense, but.. we still lose. They took us out of our element, but on the flip side he gets no sacks.

Now the avg fan sees those box score and wonders, wow, this guy sucks, against a good team he did nothing! See what I am getting at??? That stat doesn't explain anything to what went on in the game, and how the team gameplanned.

I see the same nonsense against teams that play us! They run alot of draws, playaction, screens, and slants against us, limiting the Qbs steps on his drops, and thus changing the protection as well. So 1, 3 or even 5 steps, the ball is out of the Qbs hand, so our DEs basically can't make a move because if they do, by the time they get past their man, the ball is gone.

That's just an example, but very under rated that the avg fan probably doesn't even think of.
But I really don't recall him doing anything at all against Philly.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

Would you classify philly a good team or bad team? Do you think they have a good or bad offensive staff?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Carolina? Philly?
This is a two way street. Where was Mario Williams against Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Detroit?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:
Carolina? Philly?
Blocked a punt vs Carolina, had a few a couple of hits on McNabb.And SMS said it pretty much perfectly. Just because he didn't have a sack, didn't mean he wasn't a problem. I'm sure you remember McNabb was super inaccurate in the 1st half right? Think 55 had something to possibly do with that?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Blocked a punt vs Carolina, had a few a couple of hits on McNabb.And SMS said it pretty much perfectly. Just because he didn't have a sack, didn't mean he wasn't a problem. I'm sure you remember McNabb was super inaccurate in the 1st half right? Think 55 had something to possibly do with that?
Um, no. McNabb has a history of being ridiculously erratic to start games. Did you happen to catch the game vs. the Seahawks?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:
Um, no. McNabb has a history of being ridiculously erratic to start games. Did you happen to catch the game vs. the Seahawks?

I mean, we can go back and forth with this stuff. Every elite DE isn't going to get a sack every game. It's a matter of how they affect and offense, and disrupt a team.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Would you classify philly a good team or bad team? Do you think they have a good or bad offensive staff?
My opinion on Philly varies by the week. I still don't think the Eagles run the ball nearly enough. Too many dumb pass plays called. In general though, they're a pretty decent offensive staff. I guess you can't complain when you have the #5 offense in ppg though.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Good offensive staffs are going to protect and adjust for a good DE. They will change their protections accordingly and when they do that the QB's # of steps he drops changes too.

I can have a game where my team would run 1, 3, and 5 step drops all game long, and throw in various screens, and I promise you I won't get sacked at all. Now I know I will lose probably big time, but hey, no sacks is no sacks right? So the opposing DE that's good and their DL can't do anything, but... we lost because the team adjusted to us.

If you want to know what is going on, I suggest taping the game, and if a stud DE gets ZERO sacks, watch the QB. How many steps is he dropping? If it's a quick game, with quick protection, then that will answer alot of questions.

Another application is the this past superbowl. The pats had issues with their protection against our DL. When they ran their various screens they actually had success because we were aggressive. In theory, that's what you're supposed to do against blitzing defense with a good DL. When they did that they were successful, when they had 5 step and 7 step drops, they had issues protecting Brady. Now two things can happen.. Josh McDaniel can swallow his ego and pride, and run stuff that isn't really his system to attack our defense, or stick to his forte, even though it's not working. I think if Wies was the coach he would have adjusted and just screened us to death until we adjusted, and then countered based on that adjustment.

But again, at the NFL level you can shut out guys based on your protections, but something has to give. You may not be as good or effective in doing that because it's not your bread and butter.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

The Bears offensive coaching staff is good? :O

Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
My opinion on Philly varies by the week. I still don't think the Eagles run the ball nearly enough. Too many dumb pass plays called. In general though, they're a pretty decent offensive staff. I guess you can't complain when you have the #5 offense in ppg though.
OK, so my point is now that because you can classify them as good or not bad to label it that way, you have to figure that staff adjusted somehow to a great DE.

I bet you they do that to us this week. Now the one factor is we have other weapons on defense on our DL. So that might be an issue. But to your credit, you have Westbrook and Jackson so you can move these guys around and run all sorts of quick game concepts to negate our pressure, and still be successful because of that. It really is a chess game and there are many, many explainations to why a DE can get shut out one week, and explode the other week.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Sniper....

I'm too lazy to look back if you put a list in this thread. Real quick could you put your top 10 DE list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Osi last year, 7 sacks 1 game, rookie LT. Discount those too then.

Abe wasn't just man on man against poor LT, he was double and triple teamed, don't believe me, look at what he did against Oakland on Sunday...or read Herm Edwards' comments leading into the Falcons game.

The only game so far this season that Abe hasn't gotten pressure at all was against Carolina, the entire team was dominated that game, including Abe, it wasn't pretty.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Abe really didn't do anything vs. Chicago either...I guess you could say he "got pressure" but it wasn't like it really effected the game, and I don't think he really effect the game much anyways...Orton still passed for 280 and Forte ran for 75 and a TD

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 11-05-2008 at 03:51 PM.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He didn't.

Abe has done spectacular against bad teams, and bad against teams that have the ability to stop someone.

I can tell you why Abe had pressures against the bears. Babineaux. The bears left st. clair on an island (yeah, smart move), but there were no sacks. which means abe, who has x sacks. didn't accomplish what he's good at. which, the pro-abe people are saying, his strength. so. you really shouldn't be counting sacks, and then in games when he got no sacks, say 'but look at the pressures count'. stick to the way you're trying to improve your position.

his strength is in rushing the pass. if you count pressure of his to pressure of someone elses, i would be willing to bet that the more consistent threat on the outside would be tuck or super mario. abe has disappeared every year about this time. he gets off to a fast start, and then peters out.

this year looks to be no different.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote